Defender Source Forum banner

Overland Checkbook Carrier Build

Tags
carrier
5K views 32 replies 11 participants last post by  KGH 
#1 · (Edited)
In honor of RDavis, I dub thee, and present to all Men and Green Blooded Bastards present:

The
OVERLAND CHECKBOOK CARRIER!

Build​

Funded by a guy who has been accused of: wearing sandals with socks, cohabitating with Gypsies, hating Thai food, and (gasp!) paying a Shoppe to perform Werks of Rehabilitation on a 110 Hardtop.

Part 1: In Which Our Hero Goes A'Rover Shopping:

14 Rubicon and Teardrop: Too small. Wanting ability to camp without trailer, we began measuring and figuring (math make head hurt bad) and decided the JKUR could handle RTT, but interior builds are too tiny for us. Wife says "what about a Defender". After ravishing her for just saying that,mwe started the quest.

Looked high and low (uh, yeah, did not know of D90 yet). NAS 110 for 85K? And then add in build? And run "petrol"? Nah...

Local 110s on CL and Ebay? Hmm...22k and it needs a frame and bulkhead....15K and it needs frame, bulkhead, doors, engine....

Perfectly fine with a ratty old truck with good bones. Did not locate.

On way to see one of these 110 Rustmobiles, we see a PRISTINE 110. Stop and talk to the guys, Tom and Elliot of ECD. Like truck, visit shop, social network analysis and contact made with customers, and we decide to have them do a 110.

------ Follow up post added March 11th, 2015 05:09 PM ------

As we join our hero and his intrepid wife (she said Defender, and in 2005 never bitched at Recaro's in the dining room for months..) the are at the SPEC phase.

Tithonus: hmm..really cool, but rack is on wrong side of roof!
SW: extra doors! Fridge Access! More ingress points for the Gypsies (hey, Gypsies, J/k!)
FC : as if...

Decided on hardtop, RHD, Puma dash, 300 TDi, 277/380, and a Coastline Campers (the guy from LRO article) interior buildout. Thanks to builders for not saying "make up your effing mind!

And lift
And Boosts because we saw them mocked here, but all over Euro builds. And I like them.
And Masai rack, bumpers, sliders
And Exmoor
And VNT
Etc.

And lift
And Boosts because we saw them mocked here, but all over Euro builds. And I like them.
And Masai rack, bumpers, sliders
And Exmoor
And VNT
Etc.

See less See more
#9 ·
Ash -
300TDi, 277/380, TerraFirma +2", upgraded DI axles w/disc all around, dunno on tire & diffs yet. (Ashcroft calculator feeds my OCD)

Should be a good solid truck. Some caution D1 axles on a 110. We shall see. Not going Hammers with this rig.

Really excited about Coastline! The issue is that after starting build, I got notice that I am being transferred to Belgium. So we may take truck right to Errol at Coastline! Have not gotten to the decision point.

#10 ·
Title Explained

On one of recent ULC SUX threads, RDavisinVA cast aspersions about my technical abilities, and basically said "Do you even wrench, bro?"

Man. Was I butt hurt or what. Did not know if I should laugh, cry, watch Golden Girls while eating chocolate.... And then I saw somebody pay $75 for a used Scepter fuel can, figured that if that was OK here, then anything goes. And you assume ExPo'ers wax NATO cans!

A few PMs later, I think he may actually buy my line about time, garage space, not wanting a "Hey, Look what I build over 5 years" thread. We may actually both have a common interest in Defenders! Cue Barney theme song!

Either way, this is a Bought not Built build.

Hate if you need to, but you might like the truck in the end.

#12 ·
I wouldn't sweat running the Rover axle in lieu of a Sals; go with an upgraded R&P and 4340 shafts and you ought to be just fine...although Ashcroft offers a 300M option if you really hate your money and want more peace of mind.

As for the built vs. bought thing, there's always going to be the hardcore enthusiasts who scoff at the idea of having a truck built, but in my eyes there's absolutely nothing wrong with it. Many people simply don't have the resources, whether it's time, or the facility and tooling, to take on the significant task that is restoring and modifying a classic vehicle.

-Ash

#13 · (Edited)
In honor of RDavis, I dub thee, and present to all Men and Green Blooded Bastards present:

The
OVERLAND CHECKBOOK CARRIER!

Build​

Funded by a guy who has been accused of: wearing sandals with socks, cohabitating with Gypsies, hating Thai food, and (gasp!) paying a Shoppe to perform Werks of Rehabilitation on a 110 Hardtop.

Part 1: In Which Our Hero Goes A'Rover Shopping:
Oh the honor of it all...
Hanging on each installment that is written in a most interesting manner!
Pictures as things progress will be good.

This post has been deleted
#16 ·
When it comes to build vs buy, I wouldn't sweat it. Then again, I'm paying to have one built as well. I lack the time and space to do it properly. Having built my first rock buggy, I knew I never wanted to go through it again. Second time around Rockware built it, and since he's a Defender guy, he's building my 110.

Keep the updates coming!

#18 ·
Does the NYC Boost Club know you plan on running Boosts in Fla? Word on the street is they caught some dude running them on a Disco in Kentucky. Forced him to sell them cheap and now he hasn't been heard from since "cause he was gonna ship them to Texas or some such ****. They don't play when it comes to Boosts in the wrong zip code. Just sayin'.

Reactions: JSBriggs
#19 ·
Boost Booster!

I know! I read about that guy. He posted on ExPo that his Boosts were powder coated khaki, and had special cargo pocket-esque lug nut recesses machined in, and he would trade all 5 for 1 dented Ex-MOD Wolf.

The NY-Tex Axis of Wheels won't catch me! I will only post Boost images on DEFENDER2 site, cause the Brit guys love them some Boost goodness.

A little known fact. At one time one could actually by a Brand New Defender in the UK, and it came WITH BOOST WHEELS!!! Really! They build all them stupid English cars there.
And now you know.
Knowing is half the battle.
Violence is the other half.

#23 ·
Update

Tom at ECD provided me with an update on the truck.

Dissasembly has been completed, with frame made good as new. Currently getting a nice blast and respray.

Body is off and torn down, out with the rust in with the new used parts. Rusted bulkhead will be replaced by new Puma bulkhead. Minor body repairs are underway, and then off to paint booth. ECD has worked with a local paint shop, and the produce really nice finishes.

Finally nailed down colors to the Jeep Wrangler "Anvil" body color, with LR Limestone roof panel and wheels. I believe this combination will look nice on the Defender.

It is getting close to assembly time and the excitement level is building. Still have not nailed down the storage build out for the back, but Coastline Campers is still top choice, and taking the truck to them in UK may be best option.

#24 · (Edited)
Wow. It has all fallen to **** with East Coast Defender and Tom Humble.

So now late October.

No refund.
No truck.

Lots of things have transpired...overseas job where I would never be able to take and re-import a 110 after a rebuild. ECD stated that they understood and would refund my money. Hasn't happened.

Told them "give me finished truck or money!". Hasn't happened. It is like the old "Kids in the Hall" skit of the King of Empty Promises...

After last series of emails, I contacted Tom Humble and stated I wanted either the promised refund or the promised truck. I have recieved neither, but Humble was quick to point out that he would send the (now disassembled) truck to another shop, and that he had expenses into truck.

His previously stated plan was to contract the truck to another buyer, or build out and sell. In either of those scenarios, he would have to source, transport, and disassemble a vehicle anyway, so I do not see those as my costs. I have stated I am willing to make some consideration, but I have no-cost financed his operation with a 50K downpayment for over a year. I am not willing to pay for services I never received.

I just want what I was promised. A truck or my money.

#25 ·
Refund coming in

After much back and forth, I am now at 80% of my deposit refunded. ECD has sent three checks so far, and I have the final (postdated 1/1/16) check in hand.

I will say that unlike some other vendors I have read about, EAst Coast Defender is making good on their promise to refund most of my deposit.

They did keep a little back for expenses, it is what it is.

#31 ·
After much back and forth, I am now at 80% of my deposit refunded. ECD has sent three checks so far, and I have the final (postdated 1/1/16) check in hand.

I will say that unlike some other vendors I have read about, EAst Coast Defender is making good on their promise to refund most of my deposit.

They did keep a little back for expenses, it is what it is.
good to hear some good news out of the home state!

nicely done ECD

#28 ·
Euro and Belgium

I fully intend to get a decent Defender soon after arrival! The selection is HUGE, everything from plain Jane 110 SWs to purpose built campers to Perenties.

I swithced contracts and am now headed to Stuttgart, DE. Great location for travel, I know most of the guys I will be working with, and it is not Belgiqueistan!

#32 · (Edited)
Finally

First, thanks again to East Coast DEFENDER for making good on their word. All checks received, all is good.

So we relocated to Stuttgart. Funny that I mentioned Belgiquestan (Sorry Belgium!) and now am in Germany. There are a few social issues happening at present. BUT...

We are planning on being here for a few years, then actually doing the overloading thing like that crazy Aussie we all know of. So import back to US not an issue for us at this time.

This gave us an opportunity to get Defender. so on to a new thread.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.