Newbie LR Defender Owner.... - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Build-up's, Projects & Registry Profiles > Truck Build-up's & Restores

Old February 5th, 2015, 03:42 PM
CJ7-2010LRDefender
Rafael
defender 2010

Newbie LR Defender Owner....

Hi, everyone, putting this out there and hopefully I can get some help. I am in Cabo San Lucas Mexico and I bought a flipped 2010 Defender for a SONG. I've been seeing this particular vehicle in a yard 300 miles from my house for 2 yrs. Since it was flipped I didn't pay attention until I was able to get a close look. Diesel, 2010, 110. Aussie tourist flipped it and I bought from the impound yard. Virtually a useless vehicle here because of customs regulations. Not legal to drive in Mexico and I am keeping the drivetrain and putting it into my registered and imported CJ-7. Originally I looked into it for a friend and he couldn't buy it as he is in the U.S., so let's not even go there. I ended up buying for a virtual song. Since I bought it almost sight unseen, I am dealing with the inherent issues. I have a good fabricator-mechanics shop that is able to do the swap, BUT the vehicle has no remote and no key..... I was promised both upon payment and they were never delivered. I discounted 80 dlls and called it a day. I know the easiest swap is my body into LR frame BUT not smart in case I get checked by Mexico DMV. I am a mexican national and won't go into details but there's legal issues that this involves. i will post pics from my phone later today.

Here's my issues:

I would love to keep the original frame and drivetrain but cost of fixing it is cost prohibitive for me. Can't import from Australia to Mexico and you would still have to fix. I may be able to keep axles (not sure until it goes to the shop) but not sure yet. I am extending my CJ7 frame to 110' to be able to utiliza as much as I can if I can keep axles.
1. No remote, no key.... There's vendors in UK... is this the only way? Post deposit for programmer, pay for FOB key? Do you guys think I can get the FOB key sent without going into the poorhouse? Is it possible with the VIN and frame number?

2. FOB key claims I need to plug programmer into port that's located between front seats, cant find it....

3. My Frame says "PUMA" on it... is this normal??

4. Copper thieves were hungry and cut 2 wires 15-20 each coming out of the computer thats mounted behind motor on firewall. My mechanics are pretty savvy and can look up the wiring diagram but any info is welcome.

5. Theres a female (10-12 pin) plug sans male side of wiring about a foot to the right of the computer (right from looking into the hood). Another battery lead with 2 smaller gauge wires in front of the fuel rail AND a female socket directly on the fuel rail itself.

I love the idea of a LR Defender drivetrain in my CJ7 that I've owned for 18+ years but if this is too much of a headache I'll part out??? Thanks everyone!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 5th, 2015, 03:48 PM
Z.G
Zack
300Tdi 95 D1

Registry
http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...ad.php?t=42902

?
Old February 5th, 2015, 03:48 PM
CJ7-2010LRDefender
Rafael
defender 2010

Newbie LR Defender Owner....

Hi, everyone, putting this out there and hopefully I can get some help. I am in Cabo San Lucas Mexico and I bought a flipped 2010 Defender for a SONG. I've been seeing this particular vehicle in a yard 300 miles from my house for 2 yrs. Since it was flipped I didn't pay attention until I was able to get a close look. Diesel, 2010, 110. Aussie tourist flipped it and I bought from the impound yard. Virtually a useless vehicle here because of customs regulations. Not legal to drive in Mexico and I am keeping the drivetrain and putting it into my registered and imported CJ-7. Originally I looked into it for a friend and he couldn't buy it as he is in the U.S., so let's not even go there. I ended up buying for a virtual song. Since I bought it almost sight unseen, I am dealing with the inherent issues. I have a good fabricator-mechanics shop that is able to do the swap, BUT the vehicle has no remote and no key..... I was promised both upon payment and they were never delivered. I discounted 80 dlls and called it a day. I know the easiest swap is my body into LR frame BUT not smart in case I get checked by Mexico DMV. I am a mexican national and won't go into details but there's legal issues that this involves. i will post pics from my phone later today.

Here's my issues:

I would love to keep the original frame and drivetrain but cost of fixing it is cost prohibitive for me. Can't import from Australia to Mexico and you would still have to fix. I may be able to keep axles (not sure until it goes to the shop) but not sure yet. I am extending my CJ7 frame to 110' to be able to utiliza as much as I can if I can keep axles.
1. No remote, no key.... There's vendors in UK... is this the only way? Post deposit for programmer, pay for FOB key? Do you guys think I can get the FOB key sent without going into the poorhouse? Is it possible with the VIN and frame number?

2. FOB key claims I need to plug programmer into port that's located between front seats, cant find it....

4. Copper thieves were hungry and cut 2 wires 15-20 each coming out of the computer thats mounted behind motor on firewall. My mechanics are pretty savvy and can look up the wiring diagram but any info is welcome.

5. Theres a female (10-12 pin) plug sans male side of wiring about a foot to the right of the computer (right from looking into the hood). Another battery lead with 2 smaller gauge wires in front of the fuel rail AND a female socket directly on the fuel rail itself.

I love the idea of a LR Defender drivetrain in my CJ7 that I've owned for 18+ years but if this is too much of a headache I'll part out??? Thanks everyone!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 5th, 2015, 03:53 PM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry

Blast from the past. How much was the song? And I wonder how many people bought it from that impound lot?!
Old February 5th, 2015, 03:54 PM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ7-2010LRDefender View Post

Here's my issues:

I would hit up UK ebay for the parts you need ... the truck is colloquially called a puma but the engine is a tdci.
Cat Camping Collective founding member and Chief Executive Officer
Old February 5th, 2015, 03:58 PM
rijosho
Joshua

Registry
merged threads
Old February 5th, 2015, 04:01 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
You will need to be an expert in vehicle electronics to get it to work in another vehicle.

Land Rover. Turning owners into mechanics since 1948.
Old February 5th, 2015, 04:10 PM
rijosho
Joshua

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by rijosho View Post

Blast from the past. How much was the song? And I wonder how many people bought it from that impound lot?!
Look at that - and we've already found your ECU for you!
Old February 5th, 2015, 04:15 PM
down_shift
Russell
94' D90 ST & 06' LR3

Registry
Lets not forget that Shane "has" the ecu and theft control unit. And we quote "Just as a side note,,, if anybody wants to do this please remind me that I have to bring the ecu's and theft control unit with me..I removed them from the vehicle after I gave him a deposit.. Not that I don't trust him or anything.. Just as a you know..precaution. Lol..I'd hate to have to try and get a new one of those.. You need to provide all sorts of info and looots of money and then they have to be programmed..."
http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...2&postcount=72

Old February 5th, 2015, 04:30 PM
Bill Larson
Bill Larson
97 D90 SW

Full circle...
Old February 5th, 2015, 04:47 PM
rijosho
Joshua

Registry
Is this one of those many things that Shayne licked and then unlicked?
Old February 5th, 2015, 06:44 PM
BlackField
Oscar
D110

Wait, so Shane actually has (had) the ECU? And TCU?
Old February 5th, 2015, 07:15 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackField View Post
Wait, so Shane actually has (had) the ECU? And TCU?
Yes, that is what Shayne stated.

Old February 5th, 2015, 07:47 PM
the rover shop
shayne young
89,93 & 95 camel trophy 110s 06 130

Yes I did state that... That would have been my intention once I left the area where it was in...however, I did not go through with the deposit as I just wasn't sure that I would be able to go back and get it..go ahead guys...I've got my flame suit on....... I've been in touch with the new owner and informed him of this..

------ Follow up post added February 5th, 2015 07:49 PM ------

But just to clarify.... I was actually there.. I did not find that car as a a d somewhere, I truly did stumble across it while I was stuck down there with a broken clutch... Actually my friend who I was travelling with found it in a back alley..
Old February 5th, 2015, 07:59 PM
javelinadave
-
-

Edit of original scathing comment.
SMH
Old February 5th, 2015, 08:09 PM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

Quote:
Originally Posted by javelinadave View Post
Edit
Nice avatar!

I don't know about the brakes, only their unreliability.
Old February 5th, 2015, 08:13 PM
the rover shop
shayne young
89,93 & 95 camel trophy 110s 06 130

Quote:
Originally Posted by rijosho View Post
Is this one of those many things that Shayne licked and then unlicked?
God... I unlick ONE thing...
And if anyone can't see why I unlicked it then you need your eyes checked...
Old February 5th, 2015, 08:21 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
50%. 5%. Pretty much the same thing.

Old February 5th, 2015, 08:33 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
He just said above that he did not take the parts.

Old February 5th, 2015, 08:39 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
"That would have been my intention"

It is a clear sentence.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Build-up's, Projects & Registry Profiles > Truck Build-up's & Restores

Tags
defender