'New' Rear Door: Normal or Damaged? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Build-up's, Projects & Registry Profiles > Truck Build-up's & Restores

View Poll Results: Are these parts acceptable? (based on photo) Can Click/Vote for two options
The Rear Door is in reasonably 'new condition' 2 20.00%
The Rear Door is NOT in 'new condition' 8 80.00%
The trim is in 'great' condition 1 10.00%
The trim is NOT in 'great' condition 6 60.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 10. You may not vote on this poll

Old October 21st, 2013, 10:02 PM
BrianMD
Brian Mark
1995 Defender 90 NAS

Registry
Question 'New' Rear Door: Normal or Damaged?

Hi all! I was wondering if you could share your opinion on an issue I'm having with a vendor.

I'm currently going through the slow and costly process of restoring my old '95 NAS Defender 90. We are doing a ST > SW conversion for the winter months and had to order a new full rear door.

Here's the issue: When we opened up the freight box at the Auto Body shop doing the work, we found that there were multiple dents on the door. According to my auto body shop, its going to require a few hours of work to get the dents sorted out and recommended that I might be better off ordering new one from another source.

I've attached photos of the door and dents. For a few of the photos we sprayed some liquid on the door so it's easier to see the dents. I've also posted an email exchange between me and the vendor and the invoice.

In addition, we also ordered, 'take off' interior trim that was quoted as being in, 'great shape', but they look really beat up to me. There was even some fiberglass missing where its supposed to bolt in.

I'm not posting the name of the Vendor, as I would prefer not to drag someone's name through the mud in case I'm in the wrong here (if I'm not, then I would consider mentioning the vendor as a heads-up/caution so no one else has issues like this in the future)

Are door and trim in acceptable shape? What would you do?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 1.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	91.8 KB
ID:	82612   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 2.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	48.9 KB
ID:	82613  

Name:	photo 3.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	73.6 KB
ID:	82614   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 4.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	62.4 KB
ID:	82615  

Name:	photo 1(1).jpg
Views:	152
Size:	40.8 KB
ID:	82616   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 4(1).jpg
Views:	154
Size:	103.8 KB
ID:	82617  

Name:	photo 2(1).jpg
Views:	157
Size:	61.1 KB
ID:	82618   Click image for larger version

Name:	d90invoice.png
Views:	209
Size:	62.7 KB
ID:	82619  

Name:	email lr 1.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	21.5 KB
ID:	82620   Click image for larger version

Name:	email lr2.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	70.5 KB
ID:	82621  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 21st, 2013, 10:21 PM
mgreenspan
Matthew Greenspan
Land Rovers

Registry
Your invoice and what you received are not close to the same thing. I have an old rear door(1985) with defrost wiper motor wiper and spray bottle and door card that could use some new screws to hold it in place. It needs some rust repair work if you are interested in it.

You little rebel, I like you.
Old October 21st, 2013, 10:22 PM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

A shop says the door is no good get another one???

My first reaction is that getting a new shop might be high on my priority if they are seriously going to suggest you "junk" that door.

Actually if you do want to "junk" that door.....I'm first in line.

Actually your tire carrier is going to conceal most if not all of the dent. Transit damage is not acceptable, but what were the terms of the shipment?

I don't know about the brakes, only their unreliability.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 21st, 2013, 10:29 PM
Z.G
Zack
300Tdi 95 D1

Registry
Trying to be unbiased as possible-

There is always an amount of expected impurities and prep that goes into new panels, and some of the photos show normal "inaccuracies", but some of that looks like actual damage. Was the box damaged?

Also, "ready for paint" and "new" are two different things...
Old October 21st, 2013, 10:38 PM
BrianMD
Brian Mark
1995 Defender 90 NAS

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky View Post
A shop says the door is no good get another one???

My first reaction is that getting a new shop might be high on my priority if they are seriously going to suggest you "junk" that door.

Actually if you do want to "junk" that door.....I'm first in line.

Actually your tire carrier is going to conceal most if not all of the dent. Transit damage is not acceptable, but what were the terms of the shipment?
The shop never said to junk the door. They simply suggested to return it and get my money back . . . and then order a new door (if I wasn't comfortable knowing the door was, 'repaired')
Old October 21st, 2013, 10:40 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianMD View Post
Hi all! I was wondering if you could share your opinion on an issue I'm having with a vendor.

I'm currently going through the slow and costly process of restoring my old '95 NAS Defender 90. We are doing a ST > SW conversion for the winter months and had to order a new full rear door.

Here's the issue: When we opened up the freight box at the Auto Body shop doing the work, we found that there were multiple dents on the door. According to my auto body shop, its going to require a few hours of work to get the dents sorted out and recommended that I might be better off ordering new one from another source.

I've attached photos of the door and dents. For a few of the photos we sprayed some liquid on the door so it's easier to see the dents. I've also posted an email exchange between me and the vendor and the invoice.

In addition, we also ordered, 'take off' interior trim that was quoted as being in, 'great shape', but they look really beat up to me. There was even some fiberglass missing where its supposed to bolt in.

I'm not posting the name of the Vendor, as I would prefer not to drag someone's name through the mud in case I'm in the wrong here (if I'm not, then I would consider mentioning the vendor as a heads-up/caution so no one else has issues like this in the future)

Are door and trim in acceptable shape? What would you do?
The rear door shell I would send back regardless of whom you bought it from it it arrived like that. The invoice says you are getting a "NEW"complete rear door with wiper and defrost glass etc. You were sent a bare door shell. Here's a link to what RN sells those for..http://landroverparts.roversnorth.co...x?code=ALR6851 It looks like you paid quite a bit more.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old October 21st, 2013, 10:45 PM
BrianMD
Brian Mark
1995 Defender 90 NAS

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z.G View Post
Trying to be unbiased as possible-

There is always an amount of expected impurities and prep that goes into new panels, and some of the photos show normal "inaccuracies", but some of that looks like actual damage. Was the box damaged?

Also, "ready for paint" and "new" are two different things...
I agree . . . the body shop guys and I were familiar with and fully expected new panels being wavy because of the nature of the vehicle based on the other panels . . . but these actually look like they suffered some sort of blunt trauma.

The crate that it was shipped in did not show any visible damage from what I could see.

------ Follow up post added October 21st, 2013 10:51 PM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Douglas View Post
The rear door shell I would send back regardless of whom you bought it from it it arrived like that. The invoice says you are getting a "NEW"complete rear door with wiper and defrost glass etc. You were sent a bare door shell. Here's a link to what RN sells those for..http://landroverparts.roversnorth.co...x?code=ALR6851 It looks like you paid quite a bit more.
Thanks Douglas! Yes, I found that bare door from RN when I first received this current door and proceeded to put palm to face.

From what I understood, I was getting a bolt-on full on door that just needed to be painted. (RN quoted a fully built rear door for close to $2000, so I thought I was getting a good deal).
Old October 21st, 2013, 11:01 PM
atlcruiser
david
many

Hi all I am the vendor in question. While I agree with much of this on both sides I really sort of question the overall validity of this being posted here.

There are differences in opinions and details that have not been included. One main detail not included was my very clear and continual offer of a full refund if not satisfied.

Obviously there are parts not included nor mentioned in the post. They were not shipped on Brian's instructions and are to follow with the significant other portion of his order. That was communicated to Brian and that was where we left it as far as I knew.

My opinion is that there was some damage in transit. The door was/is new and was ready for paint. Now there is the indentation. It is unfortunate but not really the end of the world and is a situation easily addressed.

I am not really sure what happened or who, if anyone is to blame. I am sure we stand behind all we do, have offered to stand behind this issue and we will do so hence my questioning of this.

URBAN LAND CRUISERS LLC

+44 404 915 1281
Atlanta, GA USA

URBAN LAND CRUISERS + ROVERS LTD
1st Floor, 2, Woodberry Grove
London
N12 0DR
UNITED KINGDOM
+44 020 8133 1557

Company Registration No. 09003009

Our new Vehicle Sales site:

Old October 21st, 2013, 11:23 PM
BrianMD
Brian Mark
1995 Defender 90 NAS

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlcruiser View Post
Hi all I am the vendor in question. While I agree with much of this on both sides I really sort of question the overall validity of this being posted here. There are differences in opinions and details that have not been included. One main detail not included was my very clear and continual offer of a full refund if not satisfied. That was communicated to Brian and that was where we left it. I am not really sure what happened or who, if anyone is to blame. I am sure we stand behind all we do, have offered to stand behind this issue and we will do so.

Hi David,

I posted the situation here so that I could properly decide if I had a legitimate reason to return it to you or not. Had the consensus been, 'That door looks like a new door', I wouldn't have bothered you with a return (and you having to spend on the shipment back to you).

Just so it's clear, my purpose of posting this was not to call you out or make anyone look bad . . . I just needed a 2nd/3rd/4th....unbiased opinion by a group of D90 owners more knowledgeable than I am so that I could make an informed decision.

Best Wishes,
Brian
Old October 21st, 2013, 11:30 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Shit happens. Even to the best of us (I sold a fan than ran for a minute and then died, refunded the money, money to me got lost in the mail, I did not care, mailed a $50 check never got there, sent another one of course the vast majority go smoothly). Cudos to ATLCruiser for standing behind his sale. That is all you can ask. Shippers suck. Trim would not bug me. That will be covered by the other panel I think (need to look at mine) and will hold with a bolt and washer.
Old October 22nd, 2013, 12:14 AM
don
Don Bunnell
'86 110 3dr ST

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilfij View Post
Shit happens. Even to the best of us (I sold a fan than ran for a minute and then died, refunded the money, money to me got lost in the mail, I did not care, mailed a $50 check never got there, sent another one of course the vast majority go smoothly). Cudos to ATLCruiser for standing behind his sale. That is all you can ask. Shippers suck. Trim would not bug me. That will be covered by the other panel I think (need to look at mine) and will hold with a bolt and washer.
Yeah, I got some ST doors from someone on the board and there is a little crease on the bottom of one. He wrapped them up well but I don't think it takes much to do damage when items like doors are transported. Compared to the rest of my truck that crease is minute and I am sure there will be more added once it gets wheeled so I'm not sweating it a bit.

Brian - so you did not end up using that door I gave you? Really wish I had known.
Old October 22nd, 2013, 12:16 AM
cjbenway
Chris Benway
1984 LR 90 ( Hedrick Rover )

Registry
Way to stand up! Love this site.
Makes me feel good to be a Defender owner!
Old October 22nd, 2013, 12:51 AM
BrianMD
Brian Mark
1995 Defender 90 NAS

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by don View Post

Brian - so you did not end up using that door I gave you? Really wish I had known.
Hi Don! Actually, that door should still be there at the shop among all the parts. We weren't sure when the other door would arrive since we hadn't heard anything, so they kept the old one in case the truck was finished before the new one arrived and needed to be locked-up/closed.

Unfortunately, we haven't even got far enough into the rebuild the body is still separated from the chassis. The farther we got into changing the crossmember and other parts, the more rusted/broken parts we kept running into that required us to order more parts.
Old October 22nd, 2013, 02:35 PM
UnfrozenCaveman
Keith Armstrong
Various

Sheesh, if the Brian isn't comfortable with it and David's offered to take it back, just let him take it back.

Sure, it might not look like what I'd call "new", but then most of the panels on my Rovers look worse than that
Old October 22nd, 2013, 03:17 PM
down_shift
Russell
94' D90 ST & 06' LR3

Registry
Sounds like the vendor is doing all that he can do. Kudos. Try working out an agreement to tap out or fill those creases. 1.5 hours max? It will save both parties time, $$ and perceived risk. Thinking if your shop is elbows deep into your truck and ready to paint, perhaps it will cost you $$ waiting for another door that 'might' get nicked in shipping again.
Old October 22nd, 2013, 09:20 PM
pendy
jim pendleton
89'd90

If the original poster decides he does not want the damaged "new" door I will take it for 350.00 shipped to me in Kansas. Maybe this will help the situation.

Advice is only as good as the person applying it--
Don't make me give you bad advice!

Lemons or lemonaide, whatever your taste provides.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Build-up's, Projects & Registry Profiles > Truck Build-up's & Restores

Tags
damage, door, rear door