New project start-up - Page 4 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Build-up's, Projects & Registry Profiles > Truck Build-up's & Restores

Old August 14th, 2008, 04:40 PM
mikeslandrover
Mike Hammond
110 200Tdi and a 2005 Scorpa SY250

Registry
Thanks , The trip was excellent. Pitty the transfer box didn't last the duration
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 19th, 2008, 04:41 PM
diesel_jim
Jamie Austin
1992 110 Td5 CSW & 1989 MB G-Wagen

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeslandrover
Thanks , The trip was excellent. Pitty the transfer box didn't last the duration
OH dear, what went wrong?

did it leave you stranded or you manage to suss it?

didn't mean you had to cut the trip short did it?
Old August 25th, 2008, 05:42 PM
mikeslandrover
Mike Hammond

Registry
Had to replace the front hockey stick bushes as they lasted a week on the corrugations before going west.
Had to swap out the transfer box in Malagar on the way home. Haven't stripped the old one down but the presence of gear teeth in the oil does not bode well for the internals
The transfer box lasted the duration of the trip getting noisier and noisier. I swapped it out for a 1:1.211 ratio
from TD5 auto discovery 2, rather a high ratio and a bit slow going up hill but a "grand ride down"
Since replaced the front shocks as all the oil came out when I jacked the front end up, and found that one of the shock turrets (a pattern item) had un-welded itself That was the cause of the mystery knocking noise.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 23rd, 2010, 04:56 AM
mikeslandrover
Mike Hammond

Registry
Two years on and all is well, the paint hasn't stuck too well to the bulkhead and the rest of the paint isn't so shiny anymore I think I'll be getting some T wash/ Mordant Solution
http://www.icipaints.co.uk/products/...t_solution.jsp
Anyone know if it works on older galvanised steel or just fresh stuff?
The transfer box from the discovery is still in and I'm still pleased with the result and (touch wood) nothing else has gone wrong.
Got 35 mpg ( English ) whilst in Wales this summer
I've added a second battery and some wiring for an Engle fridge - brilliant piece of kit, and some body modifications will be needed to get the fridge in close to the second row door.
Old August 23rd, 2010, 08:34 AM
Jpayne
Jeff Payne
'83 110 3 Door

Registry
Nice build!

Check out this discussion for more info on painting over galvanized stuff. It's towards the end of page 3

http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...ad.php?t=26346
Old November 21st, 2012, 09:58 AM
mikeslandrover
Mike Hammond

Registry
Just a little up-date. Still going well, had to swap in a new alternator and water pump this year, otherwise all is going well.
Modified the bodywork in front of the rear wheel to sit an Engel fridge next to the second row door directly behind the driver's seat (great piece of kit).
Old June 9th, 2013, 04:34 PM
mikeslandrover
Mike Hammond

Registry
Just swapped out the rear wheel brake cylinders today - weeping a little bit past one of the cylinders. Thought very briefly of purchasing a repair kit off ebay but then sense prevailed and two OEM cylinders were purchased. Went straight in no problems the unions on the brake pipes were n't even seized. Flushed new brake fluid through and the job was a good one. Took the opportunity to rotate the tyres while I had them laying in a big heap.
Old April 12th, 2014, 07:49 PM
cbfritz_03
Carmen
none

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeslandrover View Post
More progress:
Dragged the rear axle out from uder the old chassis and finished mounting it today
It's a heavy old lump
Got the bulkhead, B posts & sills and a crossmember back from the galvanisers. They're animals, managed to bend the rain channel that sits under the bonnet I beat it more or less straight
The bulkhead buckled a bit The large bolts that mount it to the chassis wouldn't line up. They were about 10mm out, a good deal of levering with a length of 4x2 sorted that out and so the bulkhead is on too. still need to drill & tap various holes in the bulkhead but it's starting to look a bit more like a landrover now. Here's some pics:
Wow! ... thank you for posting that. I was curious to see what that bulkhead looked like. I'm wanting to do some galvanizing on mine ..the bulkhead would be an absolute. Still searching for companies around here.
I'm also looking into the Ospho product I have seen mentioned as well. I live in a very dry state so? Thanks again Mike! And hurrah for your lovely and soon to be warmer wife!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Build-up's, Projects & Registry Profiles > Truck Build-up's & Restores

Tags
start