New member 85 110 Motor swap - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Build-up's, Projects & Registry Profiles > Truck Build-up's & Restores

Old November 10th, 2014, 09:41 AM
mscott87
Matt
None

New member 85 110 Motor swap

Hello, my names Matt. Unfortunately I do not own a Defender, but the custom shop I work at has a one off motor swap going on that I thought I would share. One of our best customers came to me with the complaint that his 85 Defender 110 was extremely underpowered. He gave me a lot of play when choosing the motor and transmission, only wanting that it remain diesel, and that be an automatic instead of the manual transmission. Coming from a diesel performance background (truck pulling, drag racing), I was ecstatic about this idea. The easiest swap would be to put in a mechanically injected motor, the down falls of this being they are loud and smoke excessively. So what we came up with is to put in an 06-07 6bt Cummins, backed with a Dodge 48re automatic transmission. This motor and transmission setup allows us to use EFI Live tuning to control the motor, and we are able to use a standalone valve body. Using the common rail motor it will be quiet, and pack a punch. With the EFI Live tuning with the turn of a dial he can go from stock (300ish hp) to around 500hp. I hope you guys think this project is as cool as I do, and thanks for checking it out!

------ Follow up post added November 10th, 2014 09:43 AM ------

------ Follow up post added November 10th, 2014 09:43 AM ------

------ Follow up post added November 10th, 2014 09:44 AM ------

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 10th, 2014, 11:17 AM
grnrvrs
Paul

Sounds fun. What are you doing with the rest of the drive line?
Old November 10th, 2014, 11:19 AM
mscott87
Matt
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by grnrvrs View Post
We haven't completely figured out the transfer case. We have found an adapter plate that will mate up to the 48re. The rear driveshaft will definitely be getting beefed up as well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 10th, 2014, 11:21 AM
Ash
Ash Heller
OM606 110 Frankenstein
D-90 Source Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by grnrvrs View Post
Curious of this as well. Also, what are you doing for a transfercase?

EDIT: Answered above. What about axles?

-Ash

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

352-572-3236

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old November 10th, 2014, 11:37 AM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
A couple here have done the 6b. Tony who is 16kpsi (works in submarine industry) here and JL who is Oilburner have both built trucks around the 6b. You should ping them both. Recollection is the engine requires the bulkhead to be modified, or was it the front cross member ?

Found it
http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...ghlight=16kpsi

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

Old November 10th, 2014, 11:46 AM
mscott87
Matt
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Douglas View Post
A couple here have done the 6b. Tony who is 16kpsi (works in submarine industry) here and JL who is Oilburner have both built trucks around the 6b. You should ping them both. Recollection is the engine requires the bulkhead to be modified, or was it the front cross member ?

Found it
http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...ghlight=16kpsi
Interesting, I would be really curious to see what he ran into in the whole process. Do you did he do a mechanically injected motor? So far we know that we have to move the rear cross member that bolts the body to the frame. The added 2 plus feet of length puts the transfer case right smack in the middle. We are using electric fans, a custom intercooler, and an aftermarket radiator to make it so the front cross member doesn't need modified. Also we are using a shorter valve cover so the motor can sit up a bit higher.
Old November 10th, 2014, 12:31 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
I don't thats why I suggested you ask him via email or private message. I shipped and imported the truck for him that he did the conversion on but we haven't stayed in touch on the project like I would have liked.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

Old December 4th, 2014, 03:45 PM
mscott87
Matt
None

Update: We installed our mock up motor and transmission and had a good bit of down time waiting on the machine shop to get our motor back. The vehicle had some paint work that needed to get done so we took the time to do that as well as get ahead on some other interior modifications we are doing (I will leave some of those for a surprise). As to be expected with any motor swap we ran into some issues. The first issue was the motor set in too deep and caused clearance issues with the oil pan. The solution for this was very simple, the old warn out springs made the vehicle have an extreme rake to it with the weight of the motor so we installed 2" higher springs. These new springs actually made the vehicle sit 3" higher which makes it sit perfectly level and gives it a perfect stance. The steering box was another big hurdle. For this we opted to go with an aftermarket steering box off a Jeep with custom mounts we built to actually mount it under the frame rail. The steering linkage also came off a Jeep as well. The power steering pump turned out to be a easier fix than anticipated. The factory Cummins reservoir and pulley landed right smack in the middle of the frame. With a couple of cuts and welds we were able to relocate it above the CP3. The transfer case ended up being our biggest set back. With talks from several adapter companies and transmission shops we decided to go with a Series transfer case. The kick in the pants came when we found out they only sell this mated to the transmission in the states. So if anyone is looking for a Series transmission we have that, or a complete running motor, trans, and transfer case we have that as well. We had good day at the shop when we were able to put the hood on without it touching the motor! I will try to get some pictures up to show how tight of a fit it is.
Old December 4th, 2014, 04:24 PM
rovertek
chris
D130, 2001+99 p38

i'm sure you've seen these

Old December 5th, 2014, 07:57 AM
mscott87
Matt
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by rovertek View Post
I did see those. They are really cool. Those are the older mechanically injected motors with a manual transmission behind it. Our customer wanted something that would have less smoke, be quieter, and have better drivability so we opted for the common rail.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Build-up's, Projects & Registry Profiles > Truck Build-up's & Restores

Tags
110, motor