New 4.6 issue - Page 4 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Build-up's, Projects & Registry Profiles > Truck Build-up's & Restores

Old April 28th, 2016, 04:44 PM
jason1st
Jason Crandall
2006 LR3 2012 SC 1983 110

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jymmiejamz View Post
Pistons would definitely be a last resort. I'm just saying if that is your problem, you can fix it and still have a 4.6.
My mechanic said the same thing about the pistons as have a few others here. There's a chance Cannibal shipped me an engine with too high compression. God I hope not.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 28th, 2016, 04:56 PM
robertf
Robert F
1995 Discovery

mine works with those pistons, just dont cheap out and run 87 octane through it.

I think its your crankshaft position sensor wiring. They all need attention by now. probably has some corroded insulation.
Old April 28th, 2016, 04:57 PM
jason1st
Jason Crandall

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertf View Post
mine works with those pistons, just dont cheap out and run 87 octane through it.

I think its your crankshaft position sensor wiring. They all need attention by now. probably has some corroded insulation.
I'm running 93.

It's a new engine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 28th, 2016, 05:10 PM
User Name
User
NAS D90 '95

I'm sorry you're having so much trouble with this. I had a similar story where we swapped out the 3.9 for a 4.6 from Atlantic British. It broke down on its inaugural run to the LR national rally. Cause: bad lifters, timing gear, push rods... it was a mess; failed compression tests on two cylinders. long story short, they paid to fix it twice before they finally replaced it. we didn't have to upgrade the chip but, we did care of Mark Adams; 14CUX. We also upgraded the fuel injectors. I have all that data and contact info of helpful folks, if you're interested; I know you're running GEMS but they may be of some help.
Old April 28th, 2016, 05:28 PM
robertf
Robert F
1995 Discovery

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason1st View Post
I'm running 93.

It's a new engine.
doesnt matter if its a new engine, its a used harness. The insulation breaks down around the crankshaft sensor plug and shorts out. I dont know if heat, oil, or age causes it, but every GEMS harness Ive looked at needs work in that area
Old April 28th, 2016, 05:40 PM
jason1st
Jason Crandall

Quote:
doesnt matter if its a new engine, its a used harness. The insulation breaks down around the crankshaft sensor plug and shorts out. I dont know if heat, oil, or age causes it, but every GEMS harness Ive looked at needs work in that area
OK. Got it. Thank you/
Old April 28th, 2016, 07:17 PM
Jymmiejamz
Jimmy
1995 D90 SW #365

Registry
Quote:
That reminds me, the teeth on the reluctor ring could be bent. There is a tool to straighten them but I have always just eyeballed it. It is very easy to bend the teeth when installing the motor.
Old April 28th, 2016, 08:17 PM
down_shift
Russell
94' D90 ST & 06' LR3

Registry
Quote:
My mechanic said the same thing about the pistons as have a few others here. There's a chance Cannibal shipped me an engine with too high compression. God I hope not.
10 minutes to perform a compression test to rule that out.
Old April 29th, 2016, 11:15 AM
robertf
Robert F
1995 Discovery

Quote:
That reminds me, the teeth on the reluctor ring could be bent. There is a tool to straighten them but I have always just eyeballed it. It is very easy to bend the teeth when installing the motor.

on an automatic absolutely, but a GEMS manual flywheel isnt done the same way
Old April 29th, 2016, 11:20 AM
Jymmiejamz
Jimmy
1995 D90 SW #365

Registry
Quote:
on an automatic absolutely, but a GEMS manual flywheel isnt done the same way

I didn't notice that he said his is a manual. I can't recall if I've ever worked on a GEMS truck with a five speed.
Old April 29th, 2016, 11:24 AM
robertf
Robert F
1995 Discovery

Quote:
Originally Posted by down_shift View Post
10 minutes to perform a compression test to rule that out.

Its isentropic compression. there is a lot more to calculating compression ratio than measuring PSI, so this doesnt tell you much of anything. Itll be higher PSI with a higher CR, but its not linear. A different cam profile will also change your compression test numbers.
Old April 29th, 2016, 11:50 AM
jason1st
Jason Crandall

Quote:
The manual gear box flywheel is totally different than on a manual.

------ Follow up post added April 29th, 2016 11:56 AM ------

We plugged an Autologic into the OBD2 port and changed the settings for the transmission to manual and changed it from a 4.0 to a 4.6. Then we reset the adaptive values and it ran perfectly. However, now that we've driven the car several times the adaptations are re-learning back to over leaning the engine. The problem has to be this computer.
Old April 29th, 2016, 12:14 PM
cowboy
steven
'84 110 & '90 127 LHD 2-carb V8's

Quote:
...several times the adaptations are re-learning back to over leaning the engine. The problem has to be this computer.
Hmmm, there is nothing that can tell a good computer to run overly lean again & again?
Old April 29th, 2016, 12:19 PM
jason1st
Jason Crandall

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboy View Post
Hmmm, there is nothing that can tell the computer to run overly lean again & again?
I don't really understand your post. The longer I drive the truck the ECU wants to continue leaning the engine more and more. It's hot outside today. The ECU is mounted in the engine compartment. Is there a chance the heat is affecting the ECU?

This ECU and wiring harness are used and out of an old Discovery 4.0 we've learned. Could the ECU be defective? Does anyone build an ECU for my engine? RPI?
Old April 29th, 2016, 12:39 PM
cowboy
steven
'84 110 & '90 127 LHD 2-carb V8's

Quote:
I don't really understand your post. The longer I drive the truck the ECU wants to continue leaning the engine more and more. It's hot outside today. The ECU is mounted in the engine compartment. Is there a chance the heat is affecting the ECU?
Just to confirm, by "leaning", you mean "running lean"? If yes, lets see what some gurus like Jimmy or Robert post about it.

In the meantime, according to an offhand comment posted by UD, an exhaust leak can cause "leaning" symptoms, but my only direct experience with that was a runaway lean idle issue that went away when I was inspired by UD's post to patch a hole in the muffler on my 14cux RRC.
Old April 29th, 2016, 12:43 PM
jason1st
Jason Crandall

We're not getting leaning "symptoms". The Autologix shows the ECU actually leaning the engine as it learns. The numbers actually change and we get knocking
Old April 29th, 2016, 12:45 PM
Ray_G
Ray Gerber
54 S1 86", 96 D1 (Coyote), 06 D3

Registry
You certain your MAF is good?
Old April 29th, 2016, 12:52 PM
jason1st
Jason Crandall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray_G View Post
You certain your MAF is good?
Yes we've tested it.

------ Follow up post added April 29th, 2016 12:57 PM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboy View Post
Just to confirm, by "leaning", you mean "running lean"?
Yes.

When we went in the ECU and changed it from a 4.0 to a 4.6 and to a manual the trims reset to make the engine run richer. We thought "perfect, we fixed it". We drove it and it drove great...... But, the longer we drove it the ECU for some reason decided it wanted to lean the engine again. We hooked up the Autologix and it still says it's set for a 4.6 and manual but the trims/trends have changed and we can watch them change while it sits there idling. The ECU want to run the engine too lean.
Old April 29th, 2016, 01:17 PM
robertf
Robert F
1995 Discovery

I would worry more about the knocking than the lean condition. A wideband o2 is only a couple hundred bucks these days and can tell you the AFR which should be your concern, not ecu trims

changing to a 4.6 in gems configuration doesnt change fuel tables. I suspect it changes the frequency filtering for the knock sensors, but I dont know that for sure.

Do you have any pending or stored fault codes? is this the original ecu from the 5 speed disco?
Old April 29th, 2016, 01:26 PM
jason1st
Jason Crandall

Quote:

Do you have any pending or stored fault codes? is this the original ecu from the 5 speed disco?
Yes. Mine is the original ECU from a Disco.

RPI builds this chip that seems would solve my problems. Anyone have experience with this?
Land Rover Defender 90 Range Rover P38 V8 4.0 4.6 Engine ECU Chipping Christmas | eBay

Wording from the AD:

Avoid going into default.
Essentially Gems/Sagem engine management is equipped with an OBD-2 (on board diagnostics) style engine management computer. Unlike previous models, the Sagem system has the ability to constantly monitor its performance, efficiency and economy, and make logical adjustments to its ignition and fuelling parameters. It also records previous faults it may have encountered. The main problem it has is that it is constantly trying to maintain the compromised settings (for a Range Rover) installed by the original manufacturer (Land Rover).

Get the right settings.
In the following few paragraphs you will learn how simple it is to not only remove the robust security (Rover's pre-installation to lock out any future upgrades), but also how to improve on your standard engine's efficiency. It's so easy that you can gain all you need without any compromises. That's Torque, Bhp and Economy!!

What are the gains from a chip install only?
From just installing the ECU chips you can easily expect at least 20-25% increase in torque throughout the entire rev range, bhp and efficiency too. The chip upgrade is also compatible with our piper camshaft upgrades, K&N sir filters, Carbon Fibre Super Flair Trumpets ad our full or partial Stainless Steel exhaust system without modification.

Essential for all 4.0 & 4.6 engine upgrades.
Even the slightest change such as an exhaust system or free flow filter will not register any favours with the ECU and it will continually fight against any extra fueling requirements to make the best of the upgrade. Indeed, it will always try to restore factory default settings, thus undermining anything you have done. With the removal of "robust security" once these chips have been installed and the revised fuel and ignition map they will simply adapt to any modifications, camshaft, intake or exhaust that you may do. The chips also have both 4.0 litre and 4.6 litre fuel maps stored on them so if you later upgrade to a 4.6 litre engine there is no need to send them back for a software re-write, simply plug in Test Book, Rovacom Lite or FaultMate and change from 4.0 to 4.6.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Build-up's, Projects & Registry Profiles > Truck Build-up's & Restores