Nev (89 110) rhd - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Build-up's, Projects & Registry Profiles > Truck Build-up's & Restores

Old August 31st, 2015, 11:20 PM
wanabewheelin
Michael Sword
1989 110 200TDI, RHD

Registry
Stopped at Walmart to pick up a few things on my way home tonight, on my way out I noticed a stream of oil leading to the back of my truck. Nothing good coming from that I tell ya . . . After a bit of pokin around found it was leaking from the oil pan gasket. Tried to tighten it up, but nothin doin. Topped her off and limped her home the couple of miles. Pulled it off and found a resemblance of an RTV type gasket in places, but the rear portion was mostly shot. Cleaned both, decreased, applied RTV and I'm hitting the hey.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 20th, 2015, 10:42 PM
wanabewheelin
Michael Sword
1989 110 200TDI, RHD

Registry
Well the oil leak ended up being a larger project, had to pull the engine, 4 of the 6 bolts that hold the flywheel housing on were loose. Replaced the rear main seal and called it a day.

Installed a dual battery system (painless one) with a jump start last weekend.

This week started on the new heater, picked up a little heater from summit. Pulled mine during the week and started mocking up the duct work. Finally finished tonight. Will try to post mor pis later.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	71.9 KB
ID:	130256  
Old September 20th, 2015, 10:44 PM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanabewheelin View Post
Well the oil leak ended up being a larger project, had to pull the engine, 4 of the 6 bolts that hold the flywheel housing on were loose. Replaced the rear main seal and called it a day.

This week started on the new heater, picked up a little heater from summit. Pulled mine during the week and started mocking up the duct work. Finally finished tonight. Will try to post mor pis later.
Whatever you're on, can we bottle it and get Pedro on 20cc's stat?
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

(10% discount for DSource members, use coupon code "D90")

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 21st, 2015, 08:15 AM
wanabewheelin
Michael Sword
1989 110 200TDI, RHD

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanwind View Post
Whatever you're on, can we bottle it and get Pedro on 20cc's stat?
LOL, on a lighter note, Pedro did swing over and pick up my engine hoist on Friday so he is making strides to get his engine pulled and repaired. Let's remember he does have 2 kids afoot.

I was highly motivated by both the wife and old man winter who will likely be here before we know it. I don't like being cold either, so it was a no brainer to get the heater working. She is also my Daily Driver where his is a 3rd vehicle making is easier to put on the back burner.
Old September 21st, 2015, 08:48 AM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
LOL, on a lighter note, Pedro did swing over and pick up my engine hoist on Friday so he is making strides to get his engine pulled and repaired. Let's remember he does have 2 kids afoot.
Ok, now I'm thoroughly confused. Last report - which was like a couple days ago - Pedro was going to REBUILD his existing 2.5TD motor (the one in the truck). And NOT do a swap. So....why would he be borrowing an engine hoist to pull a motor that isn't going to be swapped?
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

Old September 21st, 2015, 09:11 AM
wanabewheelin
Michael Sword
1989 110 200TDI, RHD

Registry
Quote:

Wanted to throw a big SHOUT OUT to Red90 for his help, he has a post of a LHD heater install that has a larger aftermarket heater which involves cutting a larger hole in the bulkhead. He also identified the fact that you can't do this on RHD as in this location we have the wiper motor. Also identified the Summit Racing heater which I ended up getting and installing.

The only negative I identified for this heater is the intake for the blower runs right into the 2 hose lines. Not a problem if you don't have a diesel engine I guess . . . to overcome this I ended up adding a 1.5 inch duct on the blower side of the heater to add the clearance for the 3" blower hose to run in between the two 5/8" coolant hoses.

Ran the 3" hose out to the normal air intake for the heater and used a 4" to 3" reducer inside the plastic shoot that is mounted to wing. Will try to get pics of this later, was just too dark last night.
Old September 21st, 2015, 09:47 AM
JohnsD90
John
74 SIII 88", 88 110, 91 110

Registry
Quote:
Wanted to throw a big SHOUT OUT to Red90 for his help, he has a post of a LHD heater install that has a larger aftermarket heater which involves cutting a larger hole in the bulkhead. He also identified the fact that you can't do this on RHD as in this location we have the wiper motor. Also identified the Summit Racing heater which I ended up getting and installing.

The only negative I identified for this heater is the intake for the blower runs right into the 2 hose lines. Not a problem if you don't have a diesel engine I guess . . . to overcome this I ended up adding a 1.5 inch duct on the blower side of the heater to add the clearance for the 3" blower hose to run in between the two 5/8" coolant hoses.

Ran the 3" hose out to the normal air intake for the heater and used a 4" to 3" reducer inside the plastic shoot that is mounted to wing. Will try to get pics of this later, was just too dark last night.
Pics please, I just have it sucking engine bay air, I never understood why they fed the coolant lines where they did. I also cut the series air box to accept the summit heater, at quick glance it looks stock.
Old September 21st, 2015, 11:55 AM
wanabewheelin
Michael Sword
1989 110 200TDI, RHD

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnsD90 View Post
Pics please, I just have it sucking engine bay air, I never understood why they fed the coolant lines where they did. I also cut the series air box to accept the summit heater, at quick glance it looks stock.
Not great quality pics, or craftsmanship . . .

First pic is the rear shield directing heated air into the cab . . .

Second and third are the spacer moving blower to create the room for the 3" hose to fit in between the two coolant hoses . . .

Fourth shows the 3" blower hose . . . it comes our and does a 90 degree right turn up into the plastic housing and into the 3" to 4" reducer. The reducer is a soft rubber fitting I picked up from Pep Boys

Hope this helps
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20150921_112720.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	75.4 KB
ID:	130282   Click image for larger version

Name:	20150921_112759.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	44.1 KB
ID:	130283  

Name:	20150921_112905.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	61.8 KB
ID:	130284   Click image for larger version

Name:	20150921_112830_resized.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	55.1 KB
ID:	130285  

Old September 21st, 2015, 12:13 PM
grnrvrs
Paul

Did you integrate the wiring with the stock switch gear?
Old September 21st, 2015, 12:24 PM
wanabewheelin
Michael Sword
1989 110 200TDI, RHD

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by grnrvrs View Post
Did you integrate the wiring with the stock switch gear?
Just utilized the one that is provided with the kit. It is a pretty strait forward kit and mine wasn't working properly. Thought about trying to just plug in the old heater's wiring, but didn't feel like using the old wire as have read that can be part of the problem with these heaters. Now that I have it working properly, may check it out and see if it works the same with that wiring setup.
Old September 21st, 2015, 01:02 PM
wanabewheelin
Michael Sword
1989 110 200TDI, RHD

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanwind View Post
Ok, now I'm thoroughly confused. Last report - which was like a couple days ago - Pedro was going to REBUILD his existing 2.5TD motor (the one in the truck). And NOT do a swap. So....why would he be borrowing an engine hoist to pull a motor that isn't going to be swapped?
Think he would rather do the work in his garage, so pull it and do the work there . . . just a thought.
Old September 21st, 2015, 01:08 PM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Think he would rather do the work in his garage, so pull it and do the work there . . . just a thought.
Wouldn't it be infinitely easier to get his 90 in the garage? It's a 1-1/2 car garage, which is...well 1/2 bigger than what I've got. And I'd just rebuild it in the truck - as I'm sure would any rational human.
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

Old September 21st, 2015, 01:45 PM
JohnsD90
John
74 SIII 88", 88 110, 91 110

Registry
Quote:
Not great quality pics, or craftsmanship . . .

First pic is the rear shield directing heated air into the cab . . .

Second and third are the spacer moving blower to create the room for the 3" hose to fit in between the two coolant hoses . . .

Fourth shows the 3" blower hose . . . it comes our and does a 90 degree right turn up into the plastic housing and into the 3" to 4" reducer. The reducer is a soft rubber fitting I picked up from Pep Boys

Hope this helps
So this still pulls engine bay air then? Doesn't look from the photos that you ducted the intake anywhere, I must have misread your prior post.
Old September 21st, 2015, 04:16 PM
wanabewheelin
Michael Sword
1989 110 200TDI, RHD

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnsD90 View Post
So this still pulls engine bay air then? Doesn't look from the photos that you ducted the intake anywhere, I must have misread your prior post.
I know it is difficult to see from the shotty pics . . .

Take a closer look at this one, to the right of the bluish green rectangle you can see the hose clamp for the 3" blower hose on the right side where the two coolant hoses exit the heater. I attempted to illustrate the hose with this yellow line, it comes out and up in a 90 degree into the 3" to 4" coupler which is located in the plastic unit that is already mounted to the underside of the wing below the intake vent. You can't see this as it is inside the hard plastic unit under the wing. If you need a picture of this I can see about pulling the KBX intake off to show you a shot of that, but I think you should get the jist of it.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20150921_112830_ illustration.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	55.8 KB
ID:	130310  
Old September 22nd, 2015, 03:12 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Is there no way to flip the fan around, so that the coolant lines are on the engine side and the air intake on the wing side?

Land Rover. Turning owners into mechanics since 1948.
Old September 22nd, 2015, 03:20 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Okay, forget it. Looking at this thread, Summit Heater for a SIII - Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum it is actually a split fan with inlets on both sides. It would be easier with a flipped fan to make a couling and it looks like it does flip. But if you want all of the air ducted, you would need to do something like what I did on mine, though it would be simpler with the single fan if you flipped things.

http://www.red90.ca/rovers/Heater/intake.html

Old September 22nd, 2015, 03:39 PM
wanabewheelin
Michael Sword
1989 110 200TDI, RHD

Registry
Prior to purchasing the heater that was my thought, but the blower has a smaller output hole that is only on the one side (the side that the coolant lines are on) now that I think about it I guess another option would be to drill out 2 new holes for them on the other end, but she's in and working and I aint pullin it out just to see if I can reduce the footprint . . .
Old September 22nd, 2015, 03:49 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Fair enough. Just keep in mind your duct is only to one "fan". There is another one on the motor side as well sucking in from the engine bay.

Old January 3rd, 2016, 01:56 PM
wanabewheelin
Michael Sword
1989 110 200TDI, RHD

Registry
Finally getting back on track, the 200tdi arrived a few weeks ago, a huge thanks goes out to Arkonik!! Spent many a sleepless night trying to decide which way to go and ended up getting a 200tdi completely rebuilt by the professionals at Arkonik.

Here she is when she was finished getting a test run in one of there trucks on site

Have been busy making preps, just finished pulling the worn out 2.5td and LT77, have a rebuilt R380 ready to mate up all going in next weekend. Will be busy doing cleaning and running wiring for new gauges. VDO and MADMAN.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20160103_132926.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	95.7 KB
ID:	138397   Click image for larger version

Name:	20160103_132944.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	93.1 KB
ID:	138398  

Name:	20160103_132919.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	100.1 KB
ID:	138399  
Old January 3rd, 2016, 02:06 PM
Jonesy
Craig
87 D110 (Ruby)

Registry
mate - while it is relatively warm....paint that engine bay! Gonna make all that sparkly new shite look bad with a dirty engine bay

We are on like Donky Kong for Saturday I assume.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Build-up's, Projects & Registry Profiles > Truck Build-up's & Restores

Tags
110, rhd