Nev (89 110) rhd - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Build-up's, Projects & Registry Profiles > Truck Build-up's & Restores


Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #21  
Old August 31st, 2015, 11:20 PM
wanabewheelin's Avatar
wanabewheelin
Status: Offline
Michael Sword
1989 110 200TDI, RHD
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 254
Registry
Stopped at Walmart to pick up a few things on my way home tonight, on my way out I noticed a stream of oil leading to the back of my truck. Nothing good coming from that I tell ya . . . After a bit of pokin around found it was leaking from the oil pan gasket. Tried to tighten it up, but nothin doin. Topped her off and limped her home the couple of miles. Pulled it off and found a resemblance of an RTV type gasket in places, but the rear portion was mostly shot. Cleaned both, decreased, applied RTV and I'm hitting the hey.
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #22  
Old September 20th, 2015, 10:42 PM
wanabewheelin's Avatar
wanabewheelin
Status: Offline
Michael Sword
1989 110 200TDI, RHD
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 254
Registry
Well the oil leak ended up being a larger project, had to pull the engine, 4 of the 6 bolts that hold the flywheel housing on were loose. Replaced the rear main seal and called it a day.

Installed a dual battery system (painless one) with a jump start last weekend.

This week started on the new heater, picked up a little heater from summit. Pulled mine during the week and started mocking up the duct work. Finally finished tonight. Will try to post mor pis later.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	71.9 KB
ID:	130256  
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old September 20th, 2015, 10:44 PM
nathanwind's Avatar
nathanwind
Status: Offline
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Saratoga NY
Posts: 8,741
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanabewheelin View Post
Well the oil leak ended up being a larger project, had to pull the engine, 4 of the 6 bolts that hold the flywheel housing on were loose. Replaced the rear main seal and called it a day.

Installed a dual battery system (painless one) with a jump start last weekend.

This week started on the new heater, picked up a little heater from summit. Pulled mine during the week and started mocking up the duct work. Finally finished tonight. Will try to post mor pis later.
Whatever you're on, can we bottle it and get Pedro on 20cc's stat?
__________________
Jason Lavender
'71 Series IIA
'88 127 #F96 DKN
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

(10% discount for DSource members, use coupon code "D90")

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #24  
Old September 21st, 2015, 08:15 AM
wanabewheelin's Avatar
wanabewheelin
Status: Offline
Michael Sword
1989 110 200TDI, RHD
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 254
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanwind View Post
Whatever you're on, can we bottle it and get Pedro on 20cc's stat?
LOL, on a lighter note, Pedro did swing over and pick up my engine hoist on Friday so he is making strides to get his engine pulled and repaired. Let's remember he does have 2 kids afoot.

I was highly motivated by both the wife and old man winter who will likely be here before we know it. I don't like being cold either, so it was a no brainer to get the heater working. She is also my Daily Driver where his is a 3rd vehicle making is easier to put on the back burner.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old September 21st, 2015, 08:48 AM
nathanwind's Avatar
nathanwind
Status: Offline
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Saratoga NY
Posts: 8,741
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanabewheelin View Post
LOL, on a lighter note, Pedro did swing over and pick up my engine hoist on Friday so he is making strides to get his engine pulled and repaired. Let's remember he does have 2 kids afoot.
Ok, now I'm thoroughly confused. Last report - which was like a couple days ago - Pedro was going to REBUILD his existing 2.5TD motor (the one in the truck). And NOT do a swap. So....why would he be borrowing an engine hoist to pull a motor that isn't going to be swapped?
__________________
Jason Lavender
'71 Series IIA
'88 127 #F96 DKN
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

(10% discount for DSource members, use coupon code "D90")

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old September 21st, 2015, 09:11 AM
wanabewheelin's Avatar
wanabewheelin
Status: Offline
Michael Sword
1989 110 200TDI, RHD
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 254
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanabewheelin View Post
Well the oil leak ended up being a larger project, had to pull the engine, 4 of the 6 bolts that hold the flywheel housing on were loose. Replaced the rear main seal and called it a day.

Installed a dual battery system (painless one) with a jump start last weekend.

This week started on the new heater, picked up a little heater from summit. Pulled mine during the week and started mocking up the duct work. Finally finished tonight. Will try to post mor pis later.

Wanted to throw a big SHOUT OUT to Red90 for his help, he has a post of a LHD heater install that has a larger aftermarket heater which involves cutting a larger hole in the bulkhead. He also identified the fact that you can't do this on RHD as in this location we have the wiper motor. Also identified the Summit Racing heater which I ended up getting and installing.

The only negative I identified for this heater is the intake for the blower runs right into the 2 hose lines. Not a problem if you don't have a diesel engine I guess . . . to overcome this I ended up adding a 1.5 inch duct on the blower side of the heater to add the clearance for the 3" blower hose to run in between the two 5/8" coolant hoses.

Ran the 3" hose out to the normal air intake for the heater and used a 4" to 3" reducer inside the plastic shoot that is mounted to wing. Will try to get pics of this later, was just too dark last night.
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old September 21st, 2015, 09:47 AM
JohnsD90's Avatar
JohnsD90
Status: Offline
John
74 SIII 88", 88 110, 91 110
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: CT
Posts: 2,282
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanabewheelin View Post
Wanted to throw a big SHOUT OUT to Red90 for his help, he has a post of a LHD heater install that has a larger aftermarket heater which involves cutting a larger hole in the bulkhead. He also identified the fact that you can't do this on RHD as in this location we have the wiper motor. Also identified the Summit Racing heater which I ended up getting and installing.

The only negative I identified for this heater is the intake for the blower runs right into the 2 hose lines. Not a problem if you don't have a diesel engine I guess . . . to overcome this I ended up adding a 1.5 inch duct on the blower side of the heater to add the clearance for the 3" blower hose to run in between the two 5/8" coolant hoses.

Ran the 3" hose out to the normal air intake for the heater and used a 4" to 3" reducer inside the plastic shoot that is mounted to wing. Will try to get pics of this later, was just too dark last night.
Pics please, I just have it sucking engine bay air, I never understood why they fed the coolant lines where they did. I also cut the series air box to accept the summit heater, at quick glance it looks stock.
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old September 21st, 2015, 11:55 AM
wanabewheelin's Avatar
wanabewheelin
Status: Offline
Michael Sword
1989 110 200TDI, RHD
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 254
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnsD90 View Post
Pics please, I just have it sucking engine bay air, I never understood why they fed the coolant lines where they did. I also cut the series air box to accept the summit heater, at quick glance it looks stock.
Not great quality pics, or craftsmanship . . .

First pic is the rear shield directing heated air into the cab . . .

Second and third are the spacer moving blower to create the room for the 3" hose to fit in between the two coolant hoses . . .

Fourth shows the 3" blower hose . . . it comes our and does a 90 degree right turn up into the plastic housing and into the 3" to 4" reducer. The reducer is a soft rubber fitting I picked up from Pep Boys

Hope this helps
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20150921_112720.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	75.4 KB
ID:	130282   Click image for larger version

Name:	20150921_112759.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	44.1 KB
ID:	130283  

Click image for larger version

Name:	20150921_112905.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	61.8 KB
ID:	130284   Click image for larger version

Name:	20150921_112830_resized.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	55.1 KB
ID:	130285  

Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old September 21st, 2015, 12:13 PM
grnrvrs's Avatar
grnrvrs
Status: Offline
Paul
88
Member
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: west
Posts: 1,393
Did you integrate the wiring with the stock switch gear?
__________________
1970 SIIA 88, Sold
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old September 21st, 2015, 12:24 PM
wanabewheelin's Avatar
wanabewheelin
Status: Offline
Michael Sword
1989 110 200TDI, RHD
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 254
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by grnrvrs View Post
Did you integrate the wiring with the stock switch gear?
Just utilized the one that is provided with the kit. It is a pretty strait forward kit and mine wasn't working properly. Thought about trying to just plug in the old heater's wiring, but didn't feel like using the old wire as have read that can be part of the problem with these heaters. Now that I have it working properly, may check it out and see if it works the same with that wiring setup.
Reply With Quote
  #31  
Old September 21st, 2015, 01:02 PM
wanabewheelin's Avatar
wanabewheelin
Status: Offline
Michael Sword
1989 110 200TDI, RHD
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 254
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanwind View Post
Ok, now I'm thoroughly confused. Last report - which was like a couple days ago - Pedro was going to REBUILD his existing 2.5TD motor (the one in the truck). And NOT do a swap. So....why would he be borrowing an engine hoist to pull a motor that isn't going to be swapped?
Think he would rather do the work in his garage, so pull it and do the work there . . . just a thought.
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old September 21st, 2015, 01:08 PM
nathanwind's Avatar
nathanwind
Status: Offline
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Saratoga NY
Posts: 8,741
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanabewheelin View Post
Think he would rather do the work in his garage, so pull it and do the work there . . . just a thought.
Wouldn't it be infinitely easier to get his 90 in the garage? It's a 1-1/2 car garage, which is...well 1/2 bigger than what I've got. And I'd just rebuild it in the truck - as I'm sure would any rational human.
__________________
Jason Lavender
'71 Series IIA
'88 127 #F96 DKN
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

(10% discount for DSource members, use coupon code "D90")

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old September 21st, 2015, 01:45 PM
JohnsD90's Avatar
JohnsD90
Status: Offline
John
74 SIII 88", 88 110, 91 110
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: CT
Posts: 2,282
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanabewheelin View Post
Not great quality pics, or craftsmanship . . .

First pic is the rear shield directing heated air into the cab . . .

Second and third are the spacer moving blower to create the room for the 3" hose to fit in between the two coolant hoses . . .

Fourth shows the 3" blower hose . . . it comes our and does a 90 degree right turn up into the plastic housing and into the 3" to 4" reducer. The reducer is a soft rubber fitting I picked up from Pep Boys

Hope this helps
So this still pulls engine bay air then? Doesn't look from the photos that you ducted the intake anywhere, I must have misread your prior post.
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old September 21st, 2015, 04:16 PM
wanabewheelin's Avatar
wanabewheelin
Status: Offline
Michael Sword
1989 110 200TDI, RHD
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 254
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnsD90 View Post
So this still pulls engine bay air then? Doesn't look from the photos that you ducted the intake anywhere, I must have misread your prior post.
I know it is difficult to see from the shotty pics . . .

Take a closer look at this one, to the right of the bluish green rectangle you can see the hose clamp for the 3" blower hose on the right side where the two coolant hoses exit the heater. I attempted to illustrate the hose with this yellow line, it comes out and up in a 90 degree into the 3" to 4" coupler which is located in the plastic unit that is already mounted to the underside of the wing below the intake vent. You can't see this as it is inside the hard plastic unit under the wing. If you need a picture of this I can see about pulling the KBX intake off to show you a shot of that, but I think you should get the jist of it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20150921_112830_ illustration.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	55.8 KB
ID:	130310  
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old September 22nd, 2015, 03:12 PM
Red90's Avatar
Red90
Status: Offline
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Calgary
Posts: 9,226
Registry
Is there no way to flip the fan around, so that the coolant lines are on the engine side and the air intake on the wing side?
__________________
Pissing people off on the "net" since 1983.

Land Rover. Turning owners into mechanics since 1948.
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old September 22nd, 2015, 03:20 PM
Red90's Avatar
Red90
Status: Offline
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Calgary
Posts: 9,226
Registry
Okay, forget it. Looking at this thread, Summit Heater for a SIII - Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum it is actually a split fan with inlets on both sides. It would be easier with a flipped fan to make a couling and it looks like it does flip. But if you want all of the air ducted, you would need to do something like what I did on mine, though it would be simpler with the single fan if you flipped things.

http://www.red90.ca/rovers/Heater/intake.html
__________________
Pissing people off on the "net" since 1983.

Land Rover. Turning owners into mechanics since 1948.
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old September 22nd, 2015, 03:39 PM
wanabewheelin's Avatar
wanabewheelin
Status: Offline
Michael Sword
1989 110 200TDI, RHD
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 254
Registry
Prior to purchasing the heater that was my thought, but the blower has a smaller output hole that is only on the one side (the side that the coolant lines are on) now that I think about it I guess another option would be to drill out 2 new holes for them on the other end, but she's in and working and I aint pullin it out just to see if I can reduce the footprint . . .
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old September 22nd, 2015, 03:49 PM
Red90's Avatar
Red90
Status: Offline
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Calgary
Posts: 9,226
Registry
Fair enough. Just keep in mind your duct is only to one "fan". There is another one on the motor side as well sucking in from the engine bay.
__________________
Pissing people off on the "net" since 1983.

Land Rover. Turning owners into mechanics since 1948.
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old January 3rd, 2016, 01:56 PM
wanabewheelin's Avatar
wanabewheelin
Status: Offline
Michael Sword
1989 110 200TDI, RHD
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 254
Registry
Finally getting back on track, the 200tdi arrived a few weeks ago, a huge thanks goes out to Arkonik!! Spent many a sleepless night trying to decide which way to go and ended up getting a 200tdi completely rebuilt by the professionals at Arkonik.

Here she is when she was finished getting a test run in one of there trucks on site




Have been busy making preps, just finished pulling the worn out 2.5td and LT77, have a rebuilt R380 ready to mate up all going in next weekend. Will be busy doing cleaning and running wiring for new gauges. VDO and MADMAN.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20160103_132926.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	95.7 KB
ID:	138397   Click image for larger version

Name:	20160103_132944.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	93.1 KB
ID:	138398  

Click image for larger version

Name:	20160103_132919.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	100.1 KB
ID:	138399  
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old January 3rd, 2016, 02:06 PM
Jonesy's Avatar
Jonesy
Status: Offline
Craig
87 D110 (Ruby)
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Leesburg, VA
Posts: 4,445
Registry
mate - while it is relatively warm....paint that engine bay! Gonna make all that sparkly new shite look bad with a dirty engine bay

We are on like Donky Kong for Saturday I assume.
__________________
"The difference between stupidity and genius, is that genius has its limits." - Albert Einstein
Reply With Quote
Reply

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Build-up's, Projects & Registry Profiles > Truck Build-up's & Restores

Tags
110, rhd

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
NEV :: 1989 Land Rover 110 wanabewheelin Defender & Series Truck Registry 0 December 2nd, 2014 04:19 AM
Series 3 RHD 2.25 Petrol :: 1977 Land Rover Series 3 RHD 88" 2.25 Petrol fsquared11 Defender & Series Truck Registry 0 September 20th, 2013 12:42 PM
110 TDI RHD Station Wgaon For Sale 107One For Sale - Vehicles 10 November 24th, 2007 02:23 PM
Feeler Janey 1984 RHD V8 110 evilfij For Sale - Vehicles 69 November 6th, 2007 02:49 PM
RHD D90/110 Steering Guard JohnC The Vendors Loft 0 November 4th, 2005 02:02 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:10 AM.


Copyright