NAS 110 145/500 Restoration - Page 4 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Build-up's, Projects & Registry Profiles > Truck Build-up's & Restores

Old June 26th, 2009, 09:01 AM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
Yeah, the Frau helps whenever she can. She likes getting her hands dirty on this stuff. She can even change the oil and fuel filter!

Bloodly knuckles have been dramatically reduced this time due to the judicious application of air tools, angle grinders, and my close friend Dewalt Cordless Sawzall.

With respect to the space - its the Auto Craft Shop at West Point. Most bases have a place where you can change your oil, swap exhausts etc, but usually they don't let you leave the vehicle overnight or have other restrictive rules. Fortunately here the manager is really cool and is easy to work with as long as you pay your bill and clean up after yourself. A lift makes life so much better...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 26th, 2009, 09:08 AM
dmarchand
David Marchand
'97 D90 SW Arles

Registry
I would kill for that kind of garage space and help! My sankey rebuild project is taking up my entire garage and is a one-man show.

Looks terrific Jim.
Old June 26th, 2009, 09:11 AM
Bozman
Greg
1991 200tdi D90

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC
With respect to the space - its the Auto Craft Shop at West Point. Most bases have a place where you can change your oil, swap exhausts etc, but usually they don't let you leave the vehicle overnight or have other restrictive rules. Fortunately here the manager is really cool and is easy to work with as long as you pay your bill and clean up after yourself. A lift makes life so much better...
One of the biggest perks about being in the military . . . the auto shop. When I was stationed in Hawaii, the Schofield shop had a professional spray booth, storage bins you could rent, and several bays dedicated to full restorations, so you could rent by the month. Otherwise it was like $5 an hour for a bay, with a lift.

Totally awesome.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 26th, 2009, 11:31 AM
GYM
Gary
97 SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bozman
One of the biggest perks about being in the military . . . the auto shop. When I was stationed in Hawaii, the Schofield shop had a professional spray booth, storage bins you could rent, and several bays dedicated to full restorations, so you could rent by the month. Otherwise it was like $5 an hour for a bay, with a lift. .
Wow, things have beocme more relaxed. When I was stationed at Fort Carson, CO years ago, the auto shop rules were very tight - to include no vehicle "modifications" of any kind. I was banned for trying to surreptitiously install a set of headers on my car.
Old June 26th, 2009, 11:37 AM
Bozman
Greg
1991 200tdi D90

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by GYM
Wow, things have beocme more relaxed. When I was stationed at Fort Carson, CO years ago, the auto shop rules were very tight - to include no vehicle "modifications" of any kind. I was banned for trying to surreptitiously install a set of headers on my car.
It was Hawaii . . . hang loose, brah!
Old June 26th, 2009, 11:41 AM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
This is the most lax auto shop I've been too. I went to one that didn't allow welding, and another where they had to have one of the staff do the welding. This is working out really well.

Chassis goes for blasting on Monday.

Old June 26th, 2009, 01:20 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
Yeah loved the auto shop in the army (and woodworking shop). They even had tool rentals!
Old June 26th, 2009, 02:44 PM
airbornrover
William Skidmore
SIII 109 SW

All depends on the manager of the shop and the vibe they get off you. I spent 6 months nights and weekends when i had to pull the engine and place a new one in at Bragg on the old Coscom side. Kept me out of trouble since i was a Rigger.
Old August 22nd, 2009, 12:02 AM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
A few overdue updates

OK, some interim pix are missing, but here is the state that things are in right now.

The chassis is back from the galvanizer (it only cost 250 to galv all the parts sitting on the trailer, including the chassis). Tub is just sitting there temporarily since I've got no other place for it.

I've finished up the disc conversion on the rear axle, which was actually a lot of fun. The machined bracket from Keith K makes everything bolt up perfectly. Since I was in there, I blasted the axle, replaced the wheel bearings and all the seals. Had the wheels painted silver too. You can see my personal garage is a bit more cramped than the autoshop on base...

Parts for the front axle are cleaned up and ready for reassembly. I hate reassembling dirty nasty parts, so I bead blasted and painted everything. Hope to get the front axle reassembled and have the chassis in the garage by this time next week...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF4214 - Resized.jpg
Views:	240
Size:	168.3 KB
ID:	21147   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF4220 - Resized.jpg
Views:	221
Size:	124.6 KB
ID:	21148  

Name:	DSCF4222 - Resized.jpg
Views:	233
Size:	140.5 KB
ID:	21149   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF4223 - Resized.jpg
Views:	196
Size:	116.1 KB
ID:	21150  

Name:	DSCF4225 - Resized.jpg
Views:	248
Size:	141.8 KB
ID:	21151   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF4219 - Resized.jpg
Views:	239
Size:	133.5 KB
ID:	21152  

Old August 22nd, 2009, 01:24 AM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

Looks awesome.
Couple questions:
How hard is it to take apart the hood to galvanize the frame? I want to do that to my 110 but I don't want to destroy the paint on the hood.

Also how hard is to do the disc conversion. I don't need brakes but I can see doing this when my current brakes are worn.

Keep it up. Love it.
Old August 22nd, 2009, 06:45 AM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
Some have reported it was really easy to get the hood frame out, but mine wasn't so easy. I did do it without ruining the paint (though I'm getting new paint anyway) but it took 2-3 hours of fiddling to get it out because mine still had a lot of adhesive in there.

The rear a brake conversion is super easy. If you would have done your own brakes anyway, then it would be no challenge. It costs a few $$$ if you go and buy all new parts for it, but I already had a spare set of D90 rear calipers and I got the Rangie hubs for free on a swap, so all I bought was discs, seals, and the modified brackets from Keith.

Old August 22nd, 2009, 07:21 AM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

I envy your door frames.
Old August 22nd, 2009, 10:18 AM
FlaD90
Tom
1994 ST D90
D-90 Source Vendor

Great work so far Jim...I cant wait to see the finished product.
Old August 22nd, 2009, 11:09 AM
Tyler Wirken
Tyler Wirken
1997 Defender 90 LE

Nice. Yeah all of that galvy stuff is pretty sweet! My local galvanizers are not that good as I am not totally happy with my frame. Yours looks great. Mine had a bunch of buildup on it and I had to sit there with a torch and melt it off in places. That sucked.

Hey on the disc brake conversion. Does it use D-90 hubs as well as calipers and rotors? Also did you just spray paint the rear axle casing? I am still debating what I am going to do with mine. Paint for powder coat.

Any thoughts?

Thanks
Tyler
Old August 22nd, 2009, 02:35 PM
TDI Guy
Randy
2015 LR4
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Looks Great Jim..
Old August 22nd, 2009, 08:05 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler Wirken
Nice. Yeah all of that galvy stuff is pretty sweet! My local galvanizers are not that good as I am not totally happy with my frame. Yours looks great. Mine had a bunch of buildup on it and I had to sit there with a torch and melt it off in places. That sucked.

Hey on the disc brake conversion. Does it use D-90 hubs as well as calipers and rotors? Also did you just spray paint the rear axle casing? I am still debating what I am going to do with mine. Paint for powder coat.

Any thoughts?

Thanks
Tyler
You use non-ABS range rover hubs.
Old August 22nd, 2009, 08:55 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler Wirken

Any thoughts?

Thanks
Tyler
Evil answered the hubs part.

And yeah, I rattle-canned the axles, but that is really just to make them black. Beforehand I had them sandblasted and painted with a zinc-rich epoxy primer which is supposed to be just as good as galv, but isn't a dip - so it doesn't do the inside of stuff.

Old August 30th, 2009, 09:50 AM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
Yesterday was really wet, but I had work to do. I got the finished axles under the chassis, dropped in the motor, and stuck the bulkhead on. Still a bit of work to do, but its great to have something that looks like a truck again.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSCF4311 - Resized.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	153.8 KB
ID:	21243   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF4312 - Resized.jpg
Views:	216
Size:	194.0 KB
ID:	21244  

Name:	DSCF4331- Resized.jpg
Views:	201
Size:	143.5 KB
ID:	21245   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF4334 - Resized.jpg
Views:	224
Size:	173.2 KB
ID:	21246  

Name:	DSCF4350 - Resized.jpg
Views:	385
Size:	155.5 KB
ID:	21247   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF4352 - Resized.jpg
Views:	227
Size:	175.8 KB
ID:	21248  

Old August 30th, 2009, 10:14 AM
Tyler Wirken
Tyler Wirken
1997 Defender 90 LE

Looking sweet! So are the wheels galvy or just silver?
So when you did the disk conversion what axles did you use as the drum ones I have heard are too short for disc hubs etc..... Did you just buy stock disc axles?

Keep up the good work. Love the color. Did I see the heads and plenu
the same color?
Old August 30th, 2009, 10:30 AM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
Thanks Tyler!
1) Wheels are just silver paint over zinc primer.
2) I did the disc conversion on the original drum axle using RRC non-abs hubs and D90/D1 rear calipers and discs.
3) The motor is the 4.6 that MattDH built for the pastel green truck, I bought it from Nikojo who is putting in a 2.8 TGV. The valve covers, plenum, and oil pan are white, which doesn't make a lot of sense for this truck. I'll replace all that some time later, but right now I just need to get everything together...

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Build-up's, Projects & Registry Profiles > Truck Build-up's & Restores

Tags
110, nas, nas 110, restoration