Defender Source Forum banner

NAS 110 145/500 Restoration

36K views 239 replies 40 participants last post by  JimC 
#1 ·
Now that there is some progress and plans, I guess its time to start a thread dedicated to this resto.

I bought the truck in late 07: http://www.defendersource.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13597

Some choice quotes from that thread:

WhiteD90: "it looks like it is in decent shape"

Wrong!

JimC: "I've seen worse"

Wrong!

Recent quote from evilfij: "I don't know if I've ever seen worse."

In all fairness, I might have seen worse sitting on ECR's lot, but that question is purely academic.

First, I've pulled the cage and had it powder coated, pix to come.

The most recent progress is freshly blasted and galvanized parts...

Attachments

See less See more
#52 ·
I find the brake and fuel line clips in my stash since I ordered them in quantity when I did the yellow truck. I'll probably have to order some more, so I can get a few extra.

The cross bar is already off, and the other stuff will be. I won't fuse anything to the chassis with galv...

#55 ·
evilfij said:
"I won't fuse anything to the chassis with galv..."

Concern is that galvy won't get between the two parts and you will have nice holes there after a while.
Ron - this is me you're talking to - what are the chances I'd leave anything attached to the chassis? I'm the guy with a Swagelok fuel system in the 90...

FlaD90 said:
Jim,

How is this project going?
Well, I did most of this last week, so I think its going ok...

#56 · (Edited)
Man that thing is rusty :(

You are a saint for saving it :cool: No doubt that it will be a top notch ride when you are done with it as you always do a great job (I still remember when you wanted to send me a sheet of TI to make you a skid plate... talk about overkill)

Note to self, stop bitching about the 500 gallons of waxoil that the PO used on my 1984 90" :lol

#60 ·
Cirbo said:
Nice work Dood.... and your woman helps?? It's all I can do to get mine out to help me bleed the brakes. (although she is stellar at wine delivery while I'm working:toast )

So, remind me again why we like these rusty hulks?

jC
What's that badge you have...Bloody Knuckles?

Jim, is that your space or do you just have garage friends all over the country? Subscribed, can't wait to see how your rig develops.

#61 ·
Yeah, the Frau helps whenever she can. She likes getting her hands dirty on this stuff. She can even change the oil and fuel filter! :)

Bloodly knuckles have been dramatically reduced this time due to the judicious application of air tools, angle grinders, and my close friend Dewalt Cordless Sawzall.

With respect to the space - its the Auto Craft Shop at West Point. Most bases have a place where you can change your oil, swap exhausts etc, but usually they don't let you leave the vehicle overnight or have other restrictive rules. Fortunately here the manager is really cool and is easy to work with as long as you pay your bill and clean up after yourself. A lift makes life so much better...

#63 ·
JimC said:
With respect to the space - its the Auto Craft Shop at West Point. Most bases have a place where you can change your oil, swap exhausts etc, but usually they don't let you leave the vehicle overnight or have other restrictive rules. Fortunately here the manager is really cool and is easy to work with as long as you pay your bill and clean up after yourself. A lift makes life so much better...
One of the biggest perks about being in the military . . . the auto shop. When I was stationed in Hawaii, the Schofield shop had a professional spray booth, storage bins you could rent, and several bays dedicated to full restorations, so you could rent by the month. Otherwise it was like $5 an hour for a bay, with a lift.

Totally awesome.

#64 ·
Bozman said:
One of the biggest perks about being in the military . . . the auto shop. When I was stationed in Hawaii, the Schofield shop had a professional spray booth, storage bins you could rent, and several bays dedicated to full restorations, so you could rent by the month. Otherwise it was like $5 an hour for a bay, with a lift. .
Wow, things have beocme more relaxed. When I was stationed at Fort Carson, CO years ago, the auto shop rules were very tight - to include no vehicle "modifications" of any kind. I was banned for trying to surreptitiously install a set of headers on my car.

#68 ·
All depends on the manager of the shop and the vibe they get off you. I spent 6 months nights and weekends when i had to pull the engine and place a new one in at Bragg on the old Coscom side. :grin Kept me out of trouble since i was a Rigger. ;)

#69 ·
A few overdue updates

OK, some interim pix are missing, but here is the state that things are in right now.

The chassis is back from the galvanizer (it only cost 250 to galv all the parts sitting on the trailer, including the chassis). Tub is just sitting there temporarily since I've got no other place for it.

I've finished up the disc conversion on the rear axle, which was actually a lot of fun. The machined bracket from Keith K makes everything bolt up perfectly. Since I was in there, I blasted the axle, replaced the wheel bearings and all the seals. Had the wheels painted silver too. You can see my personal garage is a bit more cramped than the autoshop on base...

Parts for the front axle are cleaned up and ready for reassembly. I hate reassembling dirty nasty parts, so I bead blasted and painted everything. Hope to get the front axle reassembled and have the chassis in the garage by this time next week...

Attachments

#70 ·
Looks awesome.
Couple questions:
How hard is it to take apart the hood to galvanize the frame? I want to do that to my 110 but I don't want to destroy the paint on the hood.

Also how hard is to do the disc conversion. I don't need brakes but I can see doing this when my current brakes are worn.

Keep it up. Love it.

#71 ·
Some have reported it was really easy to get the hood frame out, but mine wasn't so easy. I did do it without ruining the paint (though I'm getting new paint anyway) but it took 2-3 hours of fiddling to get it out because mine still had a lot of adhesive in there.

The rear a brake conversion is super easy. If you would have done your own brakes anyway, then it would be no challenge. It costs a few $$$ if you go and buy all new parts for it, but I already had a spare set of D90 rear calipers and I got the Rangie hubs for free on a swap, so all I bought was discs, seals, and the modified brackets from Keith.

#74 ·
Nice. Yeah all of that galvy stuff is pretty sweet! My local galvanizers are not that good as I am not totally happy with my frame. Yours looks great. Mine had a bunch of buildup on it and I had to sit there with a torch and melt it off in places. That sucked.

Hey on the disc brake conversion. Does it use D-90 hubs as well as calipers and rotors? Also did you just spray paint the rear axle casing? I am still debating what I am going to do with mine. Paint for powder coat.

Any thoughts?

Thanks
Tyler

#76 ·
Tyler Wirken said:
Nice. Yeah all of that galvy stuff is pretty sweet! My local galvanizers are not that good as I am not totally happy with my frame. Yours looks great. Mine had a bunch of buildup on it and I had to sit there with a torch and melt it off in places. That sucked.

Hey on the disc brake conversion. Does it use D-90 hubs as well as calipers and rotors? Also did you just spray paint the rear axle casing? I am still debating what I am going to do with mine. Paint for powder coat.

Any thoughts?

Thanks
Tyler
You use non-ABS range rover hubs.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.