Defender Source Forum banner

NAS 110 145/500 Restoration

36K views 239 replies 40 participants last post by  JimC 
#1 ·
Now that there is some progress and plans, I guess its time to start a thread dedicated to this resto.

I bought the truck in late 07: http://www.defendersource.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13597

Some choice quotes from that thread:

WhiteD90: "it looks like it is in decent shape"

Wrong!

JimC: "I've seen worse"

Wrong!

Recent quote from evilfij: "I don't know if I've ever seen worse."

In all fairness, I might have seen worse sitting on ECR's lot, but that question is purely academic.

First, I've pulled the cage and had it powder coated, pix to come.

The most recent progress is freshly blasted and galvanized parts...

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
There was a little warping on the bulkhead - you can see in pic 4 that the center panel, which is only one sheet thick and not boxed in, has a series of ripples in it. That's kind of a bummer, but hardly a big problem. I'm assuming of course that the bulkhead is still square...

Anyway, here are some pix of what I'm starting with. Not good. And it only gets worse.

Attachments

#5 ·
That brings back memories...My bulkhead and rear cross member were a lot worse, but it looks like your doors and door sills are in worse shape. Where did that one spend it's life Jim? Mine was orig. registered in FL, but spent the vast majority of it's life in MI.

#6 ·
This was a one-owner truck which lived its life in central New Jersey. I'm guessing that some of this stuff showed up before the corrosion warranty expired, but it would have been unlike the owner to do any maintenance or take care of the truck in any way.

#9 ·
JimC said:
Now that there is some progress and plans, I guess its time to start a thread dedicated to this resto.

Some choice quotes from that thread:

WhiteD90: "it looks like it is in decent shape"

Wrong!

QUOTE]

Well I was...

A) making you feel good by comparing it to the relative shape of mine
B) looking at pictures you sent...Distance is a rusty 110s best friend
C)letting my brain tumor get the best of me that day

Take your pick...

I'll be watching this, I'm a bit behind you with but with similar plans. Take lots of pics and good notes please!

#12 ·
Mike - you win.

Ron, in all fairness, its not a 30k title. Its a 30k SD roll cage with a title. And the fender flares are good.

And Tis, I'm not impugning your powers of perception, just highlighting the big difference between how it looks and how it actually is :)

#13 ·
bjf said:
Andrew

What did you do about your bulkhead?
I replaced the Bulkhead, Seat Box, BC Pillars and all 5 doors with new ones. I probably could have repaired all but the 5th door and bulkhead, but due to the extent of my rebuild anyway it seemed better to just replace everything, especially because I apparently was buying parts at the right time. It seems like the price for doors and bulkheads has really drastically increased in the last couple of years.

#14 ·
Damn my 110 is looking better every day. I have the dash out right now and the back side of my bulkhead looks new. My biggest issue is right below the windshield on the passenger side. Plus a hole close to the floor. I am convinced the AC had to have done this but not sure.

#16 ·
I actually went and saw the truck when the PO was asking a higher price, and I passed on it once, but left a standing offer for what I thought it was worth (25k). He called me a few months later after several buyers fell through and we came to 30k as a price. My memory must have clouded in the meantime. Thing broke down within 150 miles after my wife picked it up. I'm not counting on much being able to be sold off..

#18 ·
I could put my hand through my old bulkhead.
The bonnet was just attached on one side.

Jim. I have a set of NAS 110 middle doors complete that are in much better shape than yours. Special price for Moderators.

Went to the DMV today to get title changed to diesel.
Guy comes out, looks around for 2 secs and says: "I just have to make sure it says diesel on the engine." Then he fills out a quick form and I'm good to go. Woohoo!
Go back inside, turn in my title. New title coming in the mail in 4 weeks.
The whole process took 45 mins with scheduled appointment.
SMOG EXEMPT FOR LIFE!
Go figure...

Attachments

#19 ·
Good news on the title Ze - All I had to do in WA with the yellow truck was to fill out a piece of paper. And thanks for the door offer, but I've already got a decent set which Pendy is fixing up for me.

Follow-up Post:

evilfij said:
I was like a circling vulture.
My rear ladder was damaged. Ron gave me a perfect one a while back. He then comes to my house and sees the damaged one and asks whats wrong with it. I point out the damage. Ron carries the ladder off and puts it in his truck.

#20 ·
sounds like a familiar story...one man's junk...I know people who go to the dump to shop for tires. Speaking of which- Ron, I may have a buyer for your chassis...

JimC said:
Ron carries the ladder off and puts it in his truck.

#21 ·
Here is the color I'm going to paint it - LRC 374 Cornish Cream. It was on some South Africa spec trucks for a while under the name "Sandstone." First pic is an actual truck painted that color, second one is a photoshop job of the look I'm going for. I didn't want stock, but I also didn't want to go way out there with Oslo Blue or Tangiers Orange. So this will be subtly different and I like the "heritage" look of the color.

Attachments

#22 ·
Ren Ching said:
sounds like a familiar story...one man's junk...I know people who go to the dump to shop for tires. Speaking of which- Ron, I may have a buyer for your chassis...
Sweet on the buyer. L. Rover PMed me and made an offer and I said call me and we will set it up, but he never got back to me.

Ron

#23 ·
JimC said:
Here is the color I'm going to paint it - LRC 374 Cornish Cream. It was on some South Africa spec trucks for a while under the name "Sandstone." First pic is an actual truck painted that color, second one is a photoshop job of the look I'm going for. I didn't want stock, but I also didn't want to go way out there with Oslo Blue or Tangiers Orange. So this will be subtly different and I like the "heritage" look of the color.
I love it. I think I'm going to have to copy you on this one some day :)

#25 ·
cgalpin said:
I love it. I think I'm going to have to copy you on this one some day :)
you mean you are going to use photoshop to plan your next color scheme?

like this?

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.