My introduction and project. - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Build-up's, Projects & Registry Profiles > Truck Build-up's & Restores

Old October 4th, 2012, 08:26 PM
Maximal
Max
none

My introduction and project.

Hey guys,

I thought I would introduce myself and my truck to the boards. My name is Max, I'm from saratoga, but currently I'm living in syracuse for school. This is my first rover, but I've had plenty of other unique vehicles so obscure parts and maint. isn't something new to me.

My 110 is the 1983 that was forsale by buyrovers. It came here yesterday and I put it on the road today. I'm not planning on restoring this truck, but there are several things I would like to fix/change to make it a little more reliable, safer and to make it pass NYS inspection.

First thing, I need to adjust thie X-Eng parking brake, the constant dragging noise is driving me insane. This will also need to be adjusted so it actually works for inspection.

After that I need to go through the wireing. As of now I have no fan for the heater, no dash lights, turn signal, taillight are out, and I have some weird dimming/headlight out problem. Im hoping its just a ground.

I think it may need some joint work with the drive shaft, Im getting a lot of clanking when I upshift early which makes me think a ujoint is going/bad.

Once I feel that its a little more safe I plan on ordering two tires to match the rear two, new wheels, rear bench seats, side windows and possibly discovery front seats.

A couple of questions I have are, where to buy windows for the side? How to tell if I have a discovery or defender 200tdi (to order a timing belt), are the electrical problems common and have common solutions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 4th, 2012, 08:58 PM
ArmyRover
Bill Ski
83 110 "Frankenstein"

On the windows, since I was looking at that 110 as well lol, I was thinking of checking out the local RV shops to see what they had size wise that would work. That would have given me windows that opened with screens for camping etc.

The dimming headlight issue could be a ground issue, or if it's at idle when it happens it could be a sign of a weak alternator.

Good luck with her by the way, I had just sent BuyRovers a message to work out the details and 1 minute later I saw that you had bought it.

Unknown Author

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
716-898-8153
Old October 4th, 2012, 09:01 PM
Maximal
Max
none

Armyrover, are you a medic or part of dustoff?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 4th, 2012, 09:05 PM
texrover
Jason
71 SIIA, 03 RR, 94 D90 (PO), 83 110

Registry
Welcome!!

Congrats on the purchase!

Sorry to say but this has me ROFLMAO:

Quote:
are the electrical problems common and have common solutions?
1994 D90 ST (PO)
Old October 4th, 2012, 09:08 PM
ArmyRover
Bill Ski
83 110 "Frankenstein"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximal View Post
Armyrover, are you a medic or part of dustoff?
The redheaded bastard stepchild of Army Medical, Veterinary Corps I take care of Military Working Dogs.

Unknown Author

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
716-898-8153
Old October 4th, 2012, 09:19 PM
Maximal
Max
none

haha, yea I know LR arent quite the most reliable when it comes to electrical stuff, I just didnt know if the headlight/blower motor/dashlights were common ones.

Armyrover, I didnt even know that was a thing. I did four years in the corps, and the army dust off guys were THE BEST, I loved those guys. Hated seeing them, but they never once let me down.
Old October 4th, 2012, 09:27 PM
ArmyRover
Bill Ski
83 110 "Frankenstein"

Army Medical is hands down awesome, they have balls that clank with some of the medivac's I saw them pull off.

I have even taken care of Marine working dogs, just this last summer at the NATO summit. We also do the hearts and minds (paint a bullseye on your butt) missions helping out Iraqi's with their herds, got to see some wild stuff on those missions.

Unknown Author

716-898-8153
Old October 4th, 2012, 09:31 PM
Maximal
Max
none

We had some bomb dogs, they were pretty worthless. I never trusted them. And yea, those vetcap things helping the locals were hilarious.
Old October 4th, 2012, 09:35 PM
ArmyRover
Bill Ski
83 110 "Frankenstein"

Anyways lol back to the issues at hand, were the lights just acting up at idle? Have you stuck a voltmeter on it to see what the voltage is at idle yet?

If that looks solid, check connections for corrosion or split wires. Check that the grounds are clean etc you know the drill I'm sure.

Unknown Author

716-898-8153
Old October 4th, 2012, 09:48 PM
Maximal
Max
none

Yea, I just put the truck on the road today. I checked fuses but that was the extent, probably wont get to start working on it until sunday.
Old October 4th, 2012, 10:01 PM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Max:

Hit me up when you're back in Saratoga...I'm up there quite frequently.
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

(10% discount for DSource members, use coupon code "D90")

Old October 4th, 2012, 10:03 PM
ArmyRover
Bill Ski
83 110 "Frankenstein"

Finding time is always the hard part isn't it.

Unknown Author

716-898-8153
Old October 4th, 2012, 10:11 PM
Maximal
Max
none

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanwind View Post
Max:

Hit me up when you're back in Saratoga...I'm up there quite frequently.
Sounds good, I'm back somewhat frequently. Besides lyman I dont really know any rover guys in the area.
Old October 4th, 2012, 10:37 PM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Sounds good, I'm back somewhat frequently. Besides lyman I dont really know any rover guys in the area.
KKilo, Eric @ AB, and Bozman is over the border in VT. I was just there the past week but had to head back to VA.
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

Old October 4th, 2012, 10:56 PM
Macker
Mack Crouch
1988 110 LS 5.3

Registry
For the timing belt, I believe the belt and tensioner are the same for discovery/defender. The timing cover and water pump are different, however, and require different gaskets. When I did mine on my discovery 200tdi, I ordered a timing belt kit from Rovahfarm which come with gaskets for a defender. I also got an allmakes bottom end rebuild/gasket set-which came with gaskets for both defender and discovery timing cover/water pump, so I had everything I needed. My discovery 200tdi came with defender exhaust manifolds so it looked like a defender at first glance. You can probably google 200tdi timing cover and see the difference between the defender and discovery orientation.
Old October 4th, 2012, 11:13 PM
Maximal
Max
none

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macker View Post
For the timing belt, I believe the belt and tensioner are the same for discovery/defender. The timing cover and water pump are different, however, and require different gaskets. When I did mine on my discovery 200tdi, I ordered a timing belt kit from Rovahfarm which come with gaskets for a defender. I also got an allmakes bottom end rebuild/gasket set-which came with gaskets for both defender and discovery timing cover/water pump, so I had everything I needed. My discovery 200tdi came with defender exhaust manifolds so it looked like a defender at first glance. You can probably google 200tdi timing cover and see the difference between the defender and discovery orientation.
Thanks that helps. I'll look into shortly.
Old October 5th, 2012, 02:17 AM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyRover

The redheaded bastard stepchild of Army Medical, Veterinary Corps I take care of Military Working Dogs.
Dogs are 4x4 to!

I don't know about the brakes, only their unreliability.
Old October 5th, 2012, 12:29 PM
ArmyRover
Bill Ski
83 110 "Frankenstein"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky View Post
Dogs are 4x4 to!

They are a lot more dependable and generally leak less fluids to.

They are awesome to work with. They really do save lives in a lot of ways.

Doing what I do is how I brought Kabari back from OIF so easily. Wife says when I go on another deployment though my souvenir had better not be another dog...

Unknown Author

716-898-8153
Old October 7th, 2012, 07:11 PM
Maximal
Max
none

Ok, took this thing on a hour and a half drive from cuse to rochester. The 1.6 case needs to go. I found one from a disco 1 that had a five speed for 287 shipped. What are you guys thoughts on that? Also I currently have a x-eng brake on this and I'm unsure if it will swap over to the new case.

On the trip ive noticed I can best compare this truck to an old Harley, it makes lots of noises, it's cold and I can't text and drive in it. Hopefully I'll be able to fix/curb some of this issues shortly.

Max
Old October 7th, 2012, 07:18 PM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
On the trip ive noticed I can best compare this truck to an old Harley, it makes lots of noises, it's cold and I can't text and drive in it. Hopefully I'll be able to fix/curb some of this issues shortly.

Max
I thought these were all good things ?
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Build-up's, Projects & Registry Profiles > Truck Build-up's & Restores