Mercedes OM617 Powered 110 Build Up - Page 6 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Build-up's, Projects & Registry Profiles > Truck Build-up's & Restores

Old January 29th, 2014, 04:41 PM
Ren Ching
Skinny Pete
'84 90 "Yamelo"/'88 RRC "Chewbacca"

Registry
Who is Richard?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axel View Post
Hello Richard
I have a custom, precision, computer-aided, metal fabrication company that could help you with the mounts, or anything else, if that's of any benefit to you.
Regards
Jack
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 29th, 2014, 06:16 PM
rdavisinva
Robert Davis
N/A

Quote:
Originally Posted by don View Post
I will definitely be interested in seeing how the new IP does. 40HP is not bad at all. What is the cost on the IP?
They run 9000 Swedish Kronas for the top of the line M-Series IP complete with new 7.5mm plungers.

Uncle "Richard" Douglas has a Land Rover with big wheels that never gets stuck... until he breaks something so it won't go. Uncle Douglas always breaks something. - Anna Crowther at the Conclave 2012 (AKA Carburetor Neck)

"What's with this death wobble, Uncle Douglas, I can't keep it in 1 lane?"
UD: "Just Power through it man!"
Old January 29th, 2014, 06:22 PM
jafir
Jafir Elkurd
Flaky Green 198something ex-mod 90

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ren Ching View Post
Who is Richard?
Reminds me of one of my biggest email pet peeves. Calling my something other than my name (like calling me John, Jack, Jeff, etc) in a REPLY to one of my emails that includes a signature with my name spelled out.

I understand not everyone knows how to pronounce Jafir, so if you're talking to me in person I have no problem if you butcher my name, but if you cannot cut and paste or just type what you see in an email, you just aren't trying.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 31st, 2014, 12:39 PM
rdavisinva
Robert Davis
N/A

Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheway View Post
Ok thanks for the info..
Are you going to be at Uwharrie Safari in April?
Am planning to be at Uwharrie, but again just depends on how project progress is lining up.

Quote:
Who is Richard?
I guess that's me, but it could also be Doug when he has to spend too much time on the phone or your paperwork is filled out incorrectly (just kidding Richard).

Uncle "Richard" Douglas has a Land Rover with big wheels that never gets stuck... until he breaks something so it won't go. Uncle Douglas always breaks something. - Anna Crowther at the Conclave 2012 (AKA Carburetor Neck)

Old January 31st, 2014, 01:04 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdavisinva View Post
Am planning to be at Uwharrie, but again just depends on how project progress is lining up.

but it could also be Doug when he has to spend too much time on the phone or your paperwork is filled out incorrectly (just kidding Richard).
Robert we both know you were way past "incorrectly".

Are you no longer selling this truck to the university ?

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old January 31st, 2014, 03:33 PM
rdavisinva
Robert Davis
N/A

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Douglas View Post
Are you no longer selling this truck to the university ?
They still want it and am very close, but the lift is broken and I need to wrap it up by finishing the R380 install before they take it for their summer travels.

Hope to have the electric motor back from the rebuilders next week to get the lift working and have the 110 back in the air again to finish the work.

Old January 31st, 2014, 08:23 PM
don
Don Bunnell
'86 110 3dr ST

Registry
Robert (or any other 617OM gurus)-

I am hoping to dive into my motor in the next couple of weeks to prep it for install. What items should I look to replace/clean/refurb/check while it is in the stand?
Old January 31st, 2014, 09:38 PM
Axel
jack
1987 Defender 110 5-door

Quote:
Who is Richard?
That would be "Richard" as in "Uncle 'Richard' Douglas has a Land..." (refering to his tag line)
Old January 31st, 2014, 10:57 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axel View Post
That would be "Richard" as in "Uncle 'Richard' Douglas has a Land..." (refering to his tag line)
which is a quote he correctly attributes to my niece who calls me Uncle Douglas. The Richard part is an inside joke between my brother and I. The gentleman you were addressing is Robert Davis.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

Old February 1st, 2014, 08:53 AM
rdavisinva
Robert Davis
N/A

Quote:
Robert (or any other 617OM gurus)-

I am hoping to dive into my motor in the next couple of weeks to prep it for install. What items should I look to replace/clean/refurb/check while it is in the stand?
Adjust the valves, replace the valve cover gasket.
Read up on front and rear main seal replacement and replace those.
Replace the glow plugs and the hand primer pump.
Think about what you want to do for a glow plug controller.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Douglas View Post
which is a quote he correctly attributes to my niece who calls me Uncle Douglas. The Richard part is an inside joke between my brother and I. The gentleman you were addressing is Robert Davis.
Has to be a record: went from being a dick to a gentleman in just 2 posts.

Old February 1st, 2014, 09:48 AM
don
Don Bunnell
'86 110 3dr ST

Registry
Quote:
Adjust the valves, replace the valve cover gasket. Read up on front and rear main seal replacement and replace those. Replace the glow plugs and the hand primer pump. Think about what you want to do for a glow plug controller. Has to be a record: went from being a dick to a gentleman in just 2 posts.
Thanks Robert - I will be posting here and PMing you when I get closer. But in the meantime I have some good late night goggle stuff. I am guessing it is covered pretty good online - Merc / OM617 guys seem as nerdy as us Rover owners.

Anyway to just use the 2.5 glow plug setup? I kinda like how the glow plug light comes on and I count down before firing up. Or I wouldn't be opposed to running an old Merc setup where you pull the control out and wait until the wire was glowing. I remember those from being a kid and seeing my dad do it on the 240D's we had.
Old February 1st, 2014, 10:12 AM
rdavisinva
Robert Davis
N/A

Quote:
Thanks Robert - I will be posting here and PMing you when I get closer. But in the meantime I have some good late night goggle stuff. I am guessing it is covered pretty good online - Merc / OM617 guys seem as nerdy as us Rover owners.

Anyway to just use the 2.5 glow plug setup? I kinda like how the glow plug light comes on and I count down before firing up. Or I wouldn't be opposed to running an old Merc setup where you pull the control out and wait until the wire was glowing. I remember those from being a kid and seeing my dad do it on the 240D's we had.
Your 2.5 glow plug setup should work fine.
I would buy a factory workshop manual.
There are loads of useful info online.
Read up on how to replace the rear seal without disassembling the engine.
We have a 240D 4 speed.

Old February 3rd, 2014, 08:54 AM
rdavisinva
Robert Davis
N/A

Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheway View Post
Robert,

I just found out what this year's tax refund is going to be....

What does your current stock of kits look like. Any manufacturing runs planned this year? -Dave
Dave:
Just sold the last 90/110 kit from the first batch.
Will have about 6 or so around the beginning of March 2014.
None of this batch are pre-sold yet, so we should have some kits to line up with your stateside reunion timing.

Old February 4th, 2014, 09:31 PM
don
Don Bunnell
'86 110 3dr ST

Registry
Robert - I started going through the pieces this weekend and had a couple if questions:

Is this the correct orientation of the motor mounts? I know they are labeled but double checking.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2699861483.jpg
Views:	215
Size:	439.0 KB
ID:	89186

Name:	image-2595784467.jpg
Views:	205
Size:	391.2 KB
ID:	89187

I am guessing the motor mounts install metal side down. I am assuming I need to grind down the tabs?

Name:	image-483320863.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	433.2 KB
ID:	89188
Old February 4th, 2014, 09:37 PM
rdavisinva
Robert Davis
N/A

Look at post 8 of this thread.
Picture 41 is the Right Mount assembly and picture 40 is the left.
Am still working on instructions in between all the other tasks...

Old February 4th, 2014, 11:31 PM
ontheway
Dave
1986 RHD 110 SW OM617

Registry
Quote:
Dave:
Just sold the last 90/110 kit from the first batch.
Will have about 6 or so around the beginning of March 2014.
None of this batch are pre-sold yet, so we should have some kits to line up with your stateside reunion timing.
Thanks Robert -- a fortnight or so and I'll be back. Should know what the tax situation looks like by the 1st of March and will commit then.

Looking forward to it!

Old February 5th, 2014, 12:24 PM
don
Don Bunnell
'86 110 3dr ST

Registry
Quote:
Look at post 8 of this thread. Picture 41 is the Right Mount assembly and picture 40 is the left. Am still working on instructions in between all the other tasks...
Thanks Robert - looking at the pics on post 8 I have it set up corrrectly. The only other question is that nub on the bottom of the motor mount. Grind it off or drill the mount for it to sit in.

I know you are swamped so let me know if there is anything I can help with on the instructions like taking pics or measurements.
Old February 5th, 2014, 02:13 PM
chris snell
Chris Snell
87 Ex-MOD 110

I'm jealous as hell. In retrospect, I wish I had waited for Robert's kit to become available before purchasing my 300Tdi. The OM617 is everything that you could ask for in an overlanding diesel: rock-solid reliability and ubiquity. European owners drove their 300Ds until the interiors were trashed, then sold them to middlemen who drove them overland to sub-Saharan Africa, where they resold them to taxi drivers who drove them until there was no car left to fix.

/
/
/
/
Old February 5th, 2014, 02:32 PM
rdavisinva
Robert Davis
N/A

Quote:
Grind it off or drill the mount for it to sit in.
I grind them off as being able to spin the mount has advantages.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris snell View Post
I'm jealous as hell. In retrospect, I wish I had waited for Robert's kit to become available before purchasing my 300Tdi. The OM617 is everything that you could ask for in an overlanding diesel: rock-solid reliability and ubiquity. European owners drove their 300Ds until the interiors were trashed, then sold them to middlemen who drove them overland to sub-Saharan Africa, where they resold them to taxi drivers who drove them until there was no car left to fix.
Yes it's the most fuel flexible, durable, and reliable engine I know of.
Dirt cheap to purchase in most junk yards and pick-n-pulls.
Do I hear the beginnings of a swap starting to ferment?

Old February 11th, 2014, 08:05 AM
rdavisinva
Robert Davis
N/A

Drove the white OM617 powered 110 today and it was a pleasure.
The new clutch and stumpy R380 shifted perfect.
This is all a matter of preference, but at highway speeds the quiet smoothness allowed me to take a cell call and actually hear the caller, something I have been unable to do in the Swiss 110 5 door.
The gearbox swap time frame was extended due to a broken lift, but was able to get the lift working with a high torque electric drill after the electric motor that turns the hydraulic pump failed.

While the white OM617 powered 110 was down for the gearbox swap, drove our Swiss 110 5 door that has a 200TDI and had almost gotten use to the extra noise and vibration. Was thinking of possibly leaving the 200TDI in place for the rest of the year while I tackled other projects. The decision was made on today's drive, out with the 200TDI and in with the OM617.
This summer an OM617 will go into the Swiss 110 5 door with an adjusted or performance IP, larger radiator and intercooler, and 2 X 18 gal auxiliary fuel tanks on each fender well.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Build-up's, Projects & Registry Profiles > Truck Build-up's & Restores

Tags