Mercedes OM617 Powered 110 Build Up - Page 5 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Build-up's, Projects & Registry Profiles > Truck Build-up's & Restores

Old September 27th, 2013, 08:06 AM
don
Don Bunnell
'86 110 3dr ST

Registry
I still have to go thru the bag of bolts but I so have everything save for one on the pans. I am excited to get my frame so I can start bolting things on.

Quick question: the new pans have more, less or the same oil capacity? They look great in the pix.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 27th, 2013, 10:36 AM
rdavisinva
Robert Davis
N/A

Quote:
Originally Posted by don View Post
I still have to go thru the bag of bolts but I so have everything save for one on the pans. I am excited to get my frame so I can start bolting things on.

Quick question: the new pans have more, less or the same oil capacity? They look great in the pix.
They have more oil capacity... anything worth doing is worth overdoing.

Uncle "Richard" Douglas has a Land Rover with big wheels that never gets stuck... until he breaks something so it won't go. Uncle Douglas always breaks something. - Anna Crowther at the Conclave 2012 (AKA Carburetor Neck)

"What's with this death wobble, Uncle Douglas, I can't keep it in 1 lane?"
UD: "Just Power through it man!"
Old September 27th, 2013, 11:30 AM
don
Don Bunnell
'86 110 3dr ST

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdavisinva View Post
They have more oil capacity... anything worth doing is worth overdoing.
Nice to hear - I like your way of thinking, haha
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 28th, 2013, 06:51 AM
rdavisinva
Robert Davis
N/A

"SMac" stopped by on his way through the area and drove the Mercedes 110.
He provided lots of positive feedback.
Test drives available at MAR and Uwharrie if all goes well with my leave schedule.

Uncle "Richard" Douglas has a Land Rover with big wheels that never gets stuck... until he breaks something so it won't go. Uncle Douglas always breaks something. - Anna Crowther at the Conclave 2012 (AKA Carburetor Neck)

Old September 28th, 2013, 08:21 PM
SMac
Sam
NAS 97 D90 SW

I could have spent a full day roaming around Robert's place! Rovers and diesels everywhere. Great meeting you Robert and that OM617 is somethin.
Old October 9th, 2013, 02:21 AM
aka rover
ed angel
95 D90

Registry
Nice to see a nice kit out there!! I really like my OM617 in my 109 . Building a 110 next and am on the fence of what power plant to go with. But I'm liking what I see here.
67 NADA diesel tremec 4spd salisbury rear springs on front and a LOT MORE TO GO.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old October 9th, 2013, 06:04 AM
rdavisinva
Robert Davis
N/A

Quote:
Originally Posted by aka rover View Post
Nice to see a nice kit out there!! I really like my OM617 in my 109 . Building a 110 next and am on the fence of what power plant to go with. But I'm liking what I see here.
Thanks... It was a lot of work to design, prototype, and manufacture... worth every minute and penny spent!

Kits are starting to sell and as soon as people have them up and running and others get a chance to see them and drive them, they should be very popular.

Have been so busy have not had much time to play around with the tuning.
We did install a boost bleed off valve to bring the boost up to about 12 - 14 bar on the scale, but it increased the engine temperature when above 75 MPH in the hot summer, so we took it out and the boost stays at 9 bar max and the higher temperatures are no longer an issue.
This is probably a non-issue where you are in Alaska.

Sometime in the future want to install a larger intercooler as we have the small 300TDI intercooler at present. As you can see in the pictures, there is loads of room up front to mount a thicker radiator, larger oil cooler, and larger intercooler.

Also want to use a variable vane style turbo to get more boost at low RPM.
This will improve the off road performance which is not bad, but could always be better.

The thing that is so impressive regarding the OM617 is how smooth it is.
The faster it revs the smoother it gets.
It's the best running small diesel I have ever encountered.

With all the hooey lately regarding imports, the OM617 engine is completely federalized and 100% legit, legal, and so on.
The OM617 engines can be had at pick-n-pull for about $300 and were imported by the hundreds of thousands in North America.
Since they rarely go bad, the OM617 is relatively easy to find in good used condition at bargain prices.

Old October 9th, 2013, 08:32 AM
rdavisinva
Robert Davis
N/A

Ed:
Forgot to ask, did you do any fine IP tuning?

Old October 9th, 2013, 12:09 PM
aka rover
ed angel
95 D90

Registry
Quote:
Ed:
Forgot to ask, did you do any fine IP tuning?
Richard

I did remove the alda and and turned the fuel up just a bit using OM606s procedure from the STD forum. I timed the pump using the drip procedure and am running 14 psi of boost . I ran 15 k miles on my last trip with the boost at 10 psi as I have no intercooler. And still walked away from a D110 from this board running a TDI on the hills.
67 NADA diesel tremec 4spd salisbury rear springs on front and a LOT MORE TO GO.

Old October 11th, 2013, 09:19 AM
rdavisinva
Robert Davis
N/A

Typos - put in bar instead of PSI

Quote:

We did install a boost bleed off valve to bring the boost up to about 12 - 14 bar on the scale, but it increased the engine temperature when above 75 MPH in the hot summer, so we took it out and the boost stays at 9 bar max and the higher temperatures are no longer an issue.
Should have read:

We did install a boost bleed off valve to bring the boost up to about 12 - 14 PSI on the scale, but it increased the engine temperature when above 75 MPH in the hot summer, so we took it out and the boost stays at 9 PSI max and the higher temperatures are no longer an issue...

Old December 15th, 2013, 08:20 PM
rdavisinva
Robert Davis
N/A

Quote:
Originally Posted by don View Post

Pan shipped last week.
Kits are sold out with the second batch available in Jan/Feb 2014.
We have not tuned our engine much, but here is an interesting thread:

http://www.superturbodiesel.com/std/...m-MW-to-M-pump

Old December 16th, 2013, 04:41 AM
rdavisinva
Robert Davis
N/A

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrose609 View Post
Weren't you at one time thinking about developing a hydraulic-style mount for the 200 and 300 tdi's?
Yes making custom mounts for the 200 and 300TDI are on the list, but am too backed up with work to get to them.

Old December 16th, 2013, 09:15 AM
Nomar
Jeff B
RR HNTR,RR LWB Tdi

Registry
Quote:
Yes making custom mounts for the 200 and 300TDI are on the list, but am too backed up with work to get to them.
Would this be the Mercedes hydraulic mounts fitted to a 200/300tdi?
What are the part #'s for those mounts?

Real Rovers have round headlights!
Rent my
!
Just a few miles from 4x4 access!
Old December 16th, 2013, 12:23 PM
rdavisinva
Robert Davis
N/A

If I were to make a custom motor mount for the Land Rover TDI, it would be using Mercedes mount: 2012403917.

Old January 29th, 2014, 10:28 AM
rdavisinva
Robert Davis
N/A

Currently discussing buying an M-Series IP for the OM617 that will yield some decent low end torque and 160 - 165 HP.

Old January 29th, 2014, 11:50 AM
ontheway
Dave
1986 RHD 110 SW OM617

Registry
Robert,

I just found out what this year's tax refund is going to be....

What does your current stock of kits look like. Any manufacturing runs planned this year? -Dave

Old January 29th, 2014, 12:57 PM
rdavisinva
Robert Davis
N/A

Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheway View Post
Robert,

I just found out what this year's tax refund is going to be....

What does your current stock of kits look like. Any manufacturing runs planned this year? -Dave
We have 1 defender kit in stock that I was saving to replace the 200TDI in our 1983 110, but it is available now because by the time I clear all the other projects out of the way, the second production run will be completed.
Was also saving it to have parts in case someone installing a kit made a major mistake and broke something.

In other words, we have one left if you need it.

Can't wait to install that new IP and have 40 more HP and lots more torque.
Won't know the numbers exactly, but am hoping for 220 lbft of torque with 160 HP.
The stock IPs are tuned to prevent the engine from putting out any smoke.
Was behind a 300D sedan last week on the interstate and you could net tell it was a diesel.
It smoked a lot less than the 200TDI.
With the new settings it will definitely put out more smoke, but not an unacceptable amount.

Old January 29th, 2014, 01:36 PM
ontheway
Dave
1986 RHD 110 SW OM617

Registry
Ok thanks for the info - I will be back in the states later in February and will be in touch regardless. I've got your e-mail from previous conversations.

Are you going to be at Uwharrie Safari in April?

Old January 29th, 2014, 02:26 PM
don
Don Bunnell
'86 110 3dr ST

Registry
Quote:
Can't wait to install that new IP and have 40 more HP and lots more torque. Won't know the numbers exactly, but am hoping for 220 lbft of torque with 160 HP. The stock IPs are tuned to prevent the engine from putting out any smoke. Was behind a 300D sedan last week on the interstate and you could net tell it was a diesel. It smoked a lot less than the 200TDI. With the new settings it will definitely put out more smoke, but not an unacceptable amount.
I will definitely be interested in seeing how the new IP does. 40HP is not bad at all. What is the cost on the IP?
Old January 29th, 2014, 03:02 PM
Axel
jack
1987 Defender 110 5-door

Hello Richard
I have a custom, precision, computer-aided, metal fabrication company that could help you with the mounts, or anything else, if that's of any benefit to you.
Regards
Jack

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Build-up's, Projects & Registry Profiles > Truck Build-up's & Restores

Tags