Maiden Voyage into Landrovia... - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Build-up's, Projects & Registry Profiles > Truck Build-up's & Restores

Old April 3rd, 2014, 08:33 PM
cbfritz_03
Carmen
none

Maiden Voyage into Landrovia...

Hello everyone. My name is Carmen and very nice to meet you.

Ok here it is… Several months ago I was introduced to the Land Rover and now I am stuck on her! I have always had an affinity for classic cars and off road utilitarian type vehicles but in all honesty I never paid very much attention to Land Rovers before because the only ones I had ever seen were the... as you say ‘grocery getters’ Well I am paying attention now because I have seen and driven the D90. Fish on the line hooked!!

I have been poking around and educating myself a bit. The models of rovers are numerous and amazing. My personal preference has drawn me to the older models of series vehicles, the ex-Mods and the defenders. I am a purist when it comes to vehicles and prefer to keep them original mechanically and esthetically if possible. Thanks Dad. You and your 1965 Ford Army pick-up-came disassembled in a crate-and still drivin’ it self. Nothing like a vehicle with longevity imo even if you do have to do battle with rust and hunt parts.

Yes, I realize the older models may not be the most comfy and cozy… you will sweat, freeze and get shaken up a little but they are some kinda sexy beasts am I right?!
A vehicle/tractor/tank... Oooh yah. So anyway with the ‘keep it original’ mindset comes the rub and the question/s that I have for you kind and very knowledgeable people.

What I am looking for as my first rover would be a diesel, a rhd and one that I can play with off road. I am equally secure driving a rhd as I am left and manual transmission; no worries there BUT shifting with my left hand when I’m right handed while wheeling? This might be an issue after several hours. So my options would be to either get a lhd or get the preferred rhd and convert it to an automatic? Any advice and opinions that you have would be greatly appreciated. Thanking you in advance...

- Carmen
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 3rd, 2014, 08:59 PM
Overlander
mark kellgren
in between D's in an 04 D2

Registry
welcome. you get used to shifting rhd in about 2 days time. if you buy a rhd it's not worth the effort to convert to auto just for that one concern.

ISIL and al qaeda can go F*ck themselves...
Old April 3rd, 2014, 09:09 PM
cbfritz_03
Carmen
none

well thanks ...that is comforting to hear. I had read on another site about other drivers having difficulties with it and I have read past threads on the conversion topic here. It does not look like fun mechanically nor does making it look 'right'
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 3rd, 2014, 09:28 PM
cbfritz_03
Carmen
none

So right now I am looking at a 82 series III as a potential first ..does anyone have any advice on what I should be looking for as far as that year and model? I really like it
Old April 3rd, 2014, 10:09 PM
MUDSUX
Forrest
Like my Tatas?

Registry
For one thing a series truck has leaf springs not coils like a Defender. I had a Series 3 SWB. Loved it, regret ever selling it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"It is the soldier, who salutes the flag, who serves beneath the flag, and whose coffin is draped by the flag that allows the protester to burn the flag"
Old April 3rd, 2014, 10:10 PM
C391HAT
Zach
86 110

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUDSUX View Post
For one thing a series truck has leaf springs not coils like a Defender
And 4WD instead of AWD
Old April 3rd, 2014, 10:29 PM
cbfritz_03
Carmen
none

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUDSUX View Post
For one thing a series truck has leaf springs not coils like a Defender. I had a Series 3 SWB. Loved it, regret ever selling it.

Oh yes..I know a nice smoooth ride with those leaf springs lol and I have no intention of reselling. I'll fall in love with it too I'm sure. The gentleman who recently did some fab and welding for me was telling me about his sellers remorse... ten years later he was able to buy it back!

------ Follow up post added April 3rd, 2014 09:38 PM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by C391HAT View Post
And 4WD instead of AWD
Well see I just learned something...thanks. I did not know that there was an AWD version. Does that change from AWD to 4WD happen by year of the vehicle, by model or both?
Old April 3rd, 2014, 10:41 PM
airbornrover
William Skidmore
SIII 109 SW

With what was said before. I drive a RHD, takes no time to get use to driving right hand and since your still on the same side of the road its not a challenge.
Old April 3rd, 2014, 10:42 PM
C391HAT
Zach
86 110

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbfritz_03 View Post
Well see I just learned something...thanks. I did not know that there was an AWD version. Does that change from AWD to 4WD happen by year of the vehicle, by model or both?
All the series were 4WD. The AWD with center diff lock started with the 90/110/defender

I love my RHD, picked it up very quick. The only issue I had was when I had to move my friend's LHD Porsche, the first time I went to change gear I grabbed the door. After that no issue
Old April 3rd, 2014, 10:52 PM
cbfritz_03
Carmen
none

Quote:
All the series were 4WD. The AWD started with the 90/110/defender
Really? huh.. ok thank you ..not looking to get an AWD.
Old April 3rd, 2014, 10:56 PM
C391HAT
Zach
86 110

They have a center differential lock so it functions the same as a 4WD sending power 50-50 to the front and rear when you want it to
Old April 3rd, 2014, 11:09 PM
cbfritz_03
Carmen
none

Quote:
Originally Posted by airbornrover View Post
With what was said before. I drive a RHD, takes no time to get use to driving right hand and since your still on the same side of the road its not a challenge.
Yes well I'm going to find out!.. fatigue was my concern. Several hours of crawling up and down rocks lol I really enjoy RHDs . I think they are nostalgic.. seeing some practice in my future.
Old April 3rd, 2014, 11:10 PM
grnrvrs
Paul

Most series Land Rovers had 2WD high range, 4WD high range and 4WD low range. In 1970 the first Range Rover had the LT95 which was full time 4WD (high range and low range) with a locking cener diff. Most 90/110/130s were/are also full time 4WD w/ a locking center diff. Some later series rigs (e.g. Stage 1) and early 110s also had the LT95.

Beware of the marketers liberal, shady and frequently obfuscating use of terminology and subsequent ignorance among the populace.
Old April 3rd, 2014, 11:14 PM
cbfritz_03
Carmen
none

Quote:
They have a center differential lock so it functions the same as a 4WD sending power 50-50 to the front and rear when you want it to
If they both function in the same way... which in your opinion is the better option? Is one more likely to fail or have issue than the other?

------ Follow up post added April 3rd, 2014 10:16 PM ------

Quote:
All the series were 4WD. The AWD with center diff lock started with the 90/110/defender

I love my RHD, picked it up very quick. The only issue I had was when I had to move my friend's LHD Porsche, the first time I went to change gear I grabbed the door. After that no issue
Lol... funny!
Old April 3rd, 2014, 11:41 PM
C391HAT
Zach
86 110

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbfritz_03 View Post
If they both function in the same way... which in your opinion is the better option? Is one more likely to fail or have issue than the other?
There are others the are better qualified to give their opinion as I've never driven a Series, only a Defender. I guess it's all personal preference really. For me I like the fact that power is always sent to all four wheels, and then can just lock it 50-50 when need be.
Old April 3rd, 2014, 11:46 PM
cbfritz_03
Carmen
none

Quote:
Originally Posted by grnrvrs View Post
Most series Land Rovers had 2WD high range, 4WD high range and 4WD low range. In 1970 the first Range Rover had the LT95 which was full time 4WD (high range and low range) with a locking cener diff. Most 90/110/130s were/are also full time 4WD w/ a locking center diff. Some later series rigs (e.g. Stage 1) and early 110s also had the LT95.

Beware of the marketers liberal, shady and frequently obfuscating use of terminology and subsequent ignorance among the populace.
Ok.. and thank you. I am really looking forward to getting to know my truck like you guys know yours.
Old April 4th, 2014, 07:15 AM
Scottyoh
Enigma RnR
'87 127"
D-90 Source Vendor

Welcome aboard!

Old April 4th, 2014, 08:14 AM
tommyd
Tom
LR3

Welcome Carmen.

Quote:
AWD is not the same as full-time 4WD. Defenders aren't AWD, they're full-time 4WD as Paul pointed out above.

I've not driven a RHD truck, and while I'm sure it's easy to get used to, I'd think it makes think drive-throughs, toll booths, merging into traffic, etc. a bit of a pain. (Though you never really "merge" into traffic in an old Land Rover....).
Old April 4th, 2014, 08:23 AM
1of40
1of40
NAS 97SW & 83 One Ten Tdi

Registry
I too have a RHD diesel and really don't think you should be too concerned. Getting comfortable shifting does not take long. And being diesel you have plenty of time to correct mistakes on the fly because there's nothing slower that you can imagine. The concern, if any, with an older 90/110 off road is not shifting it is manual steering. There is not much shifting off road but the steering kickback is wicked and you need to be really careful. Keep your thumbs on the outside of the wheel at all times. Other than that you'll be in love and hooked for life.

Clay

Old April 4th, 2014, 12:24 PM
C391HAT
Zach
86 110

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyd View Post
AWD is not the same as full-time 4WD. Defenders aren't AWD, they're full-time 4WD as Paul pointed out above.

I've not driven a RHD truck, and while I'm sure it's easy to get used to, I'd think it makes think drive-throughs, toll booths, merging into traffic, etc. a bit of a pain. (Though you never really "merge" into traffic in an old Land Rover....).
Thanks, I was trying to highlight one of the main differences between Series and Defender but got the terminology mixed up. I apologize for any confusion.

Toll booths and drive throughs can be a pain if you don't have a passenger or one of those electronic toll collectors. People have suggested going through drive throughs backwards. Merging can be difficult but that's more from lack of acceleration than being on the right. Seeing if it is safe pass is difficult if the the thing you're trying to pass isn't small enough to see over. Thankfully that almost never happens. Seeing distance to the curb when parking is super easy, just look down out the window

On a side note, out of curiosity what's the distinguishing characteristics between full time 4WD and AWD with a difflock like in a G Wagen?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Build-up's, Projects & Registry Profiles > Truck Build-up's & Restores