Maiden Voyage into Landrovia... - Page 4 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Build-up's, Projects & Registry Profiles > Truck Build-up's & Restores

Old June 7th, 2014, 01:02 AM
cbfritz_03
Carmen
none

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgalpin View Post
Haha that's funny as I discovered your last night and was enjoying reading it. It looks great and keep up the good work.

The term hybrid is a but confusing as I intend it to mean a series/defender hybrid. It's all electric, not a ice/electric hybrid.
Well, I see what you did and I think it's great that you went all out/all in like that. I love that little truck too. It's similar to the one that was posted in sightings. Thank you for the compliment. I'm doing my best, learning a lot and having a great time. I'm so grateful for the build threads and for the advice you all share. They help motivate and inspire and I gain confidence every time I work on her. I can now tell which wrench I have in my hand just by weight and the local parts house guys know me by name lol
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	attachment.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	455.5 KB
ID:	96381  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 7th, 2014, 01:42 AM
cbfritz_03
Carmen
none

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUDSUX View Post
Holy cow did someone paint over Rover-Chrome?! That is a big no-no on this forum, ask the Parts Ninja!
Ok Forrest. I had to look up 'Rover-Chrome' lol is that the term for galvanized metal? If so there are several layers/colors of paint. A rust colored coat, a blue and a black. There is also a very healthy coating of black tar (waxoyl I assume?) I'm having a proverbial allergic reaction to that stuff already. Me no like. I went through the pieces today, sorting everything a bit and was taking a closer look at the body parts. The seat box is pretty rough and the wings need some attention. Have some cracking going on. Do you think this seat box is salvageable or find another?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMAG0717.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	88.1 KB
ID:	96383   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0718.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	127.5 KB
ID:	96384  

Name:	IMAG0721.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	58.6 KB
ID:	96385   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0722.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	87.5 KB
ID:	96386  

Old June 7th, 2014, 08:10 AM
MUDSUX
Forrest
Like my Tatas?

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbfritz_03 View Post
......The seat box is pretty rough and the wings need some attention. Have some cracking going on. Do you think this seat box is salvageable or find another?
I know a lot of guys here buy a 25 year old truck and throw all sorts of crazy money at it to make it look like a brand new Puma. Personally I think that is stupid but hey, it's not my money. I like my 110 for its history and charm. I would not have painted my 110 but it was 5 different colors when I got it. In that process I lost all the patina that took years to produce. I would leave everything original unless it is a safety issue.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"It is the soldier, who salutes the flag, who serves beneath the flag, and whose coffin is draped by the flag that allows the protester to burn the flag"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 7th, 2014, 10:08 AM
mikeslandrover
Mike Hammond
110 200Tdi and a 2005 Scorpa SY250

Registry
Great, keep up the good work.
Old June 7th, 2014, 09:55 PM
cbfritz_03
Carmen
none

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUDSUX View Post
I know a lot of guys here buy a 25 year old truck and throw all sorts of crazy money at it to make it look like a brand new Puma. Personally I think that is stupid but hey, it's not my money. I like my 110 for its history and charm. I would not have painted my 110 but it was 5 different colors when I got it. In that process I lost all the patina that took years to produce. I would leave everything original unless it is a safety issue.
Hello!.. Wait wah? I thought we were going for this ..*giggle* I love my series and I'm glad I started out with her. A restore. I get to learn all about rovers when they were more simple. It'll be easy to teach my son vehicle maintenance and mechanics too. It's nice right? I'll be running into the same issue as you did with the painting, because the bulkhead and other bits that need welding. I really like the patina too, but the stripping and then welds are going to stand out. We'll see
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	$_35.JPG
Views:	71
Size:	24.9 KB
ID:	96419  
Old June 7th, 2014, 09:57 PM
cbfritz_03
Carmen
none

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeslandrover View Post
Great, keep up the good work.
Thank you Mike .. cheers
Old June 7th, 2014, 10:22 PM
cbfritz_03
Carmen
none

Day 8

Shield your eyes..she's naked!! Yay! Tub is off! My friends had a hoot watching me jump around and do a little dance when it was done. Tank is off, broke out the grinder for those two (dang) stubborn bolts on either side. Went on and took the back shocks off and the bolts holding the springs. I'll get those off tomorrow and keep on goin' Included are pictures of my lovely breaker bar and BFH. Now to go drink a glass of wine and eat some steak!!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMAG0723.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	76.6 KB
ID:	96420   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0724.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	80.1 KB
ID:	96421  

Name:	IMAG0726.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	94.2 KB
ID:	96422   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0727.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	87.4 KB
ID:	96423  

Name:	IMAG0734.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	90.9 KB
ID:	96424   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0737.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	60.6 KB
ID:	96425  

Name:	IMAG0742.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	79.9 KB
ID:	96426   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0728.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	97.3 KB
ID:	96427  

Name:	IMAG0731.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	92.8 KB
ID:	96428  
Old June 9th, 2014, 01:42 PM
mikeslandrover
Mike Hammond

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbfritz_03 View Post
Hello!.. Wait wah? I thought we were going for this ..*giggle* I love my series and I'm glad I started out with her. A restore. I get to learn all about rovers when they were more simple. It'll be easy to teach my son vehicle maintenance and mechanics too. It's nice right? I'll be running into the same issue as you did with the painting, because the bulkhead and other bits that need welding. I really like the patina too, but the stripping and then welds are going to stand out. We'll see
Galvanise the bulkhead when the welding's done, I did.
Old June 9th, 2014, 06:11 PM
cbfritz_03
Carmen
none

Hello Mike - Sorry just got home from work. Mondays are always hectic. When I was reading cgalpins thread I saw his pile of bits, etc. that went off to get galvanized and I found on another thread that someone had used the company in Galveston and were happy, so I will probably end up there after I get it disassembled fully. I'm going to match the bulkheads paint color as best I can with the rest of the truck. I like the blue. I forgot the name of it off hand, but I think it's Vouge or Alaskan Blue? Once again I stayed up too late last night reading. I was reading sonoronos. He got his truck from you?? ..I got as far as the cleaning/replacement of the fuel tank. I think I read something about waxoyl removal too. That was my concern with my seat box. To remove the waxoyl so it can be welded/mended. I try not to ask too many questions because I am sure you fellows have heard them all a bazillion times, so I do my best to figure it out on my own first.
Old June 9th, 2014, 06:20 PM
mikeslandrover
Mike Hammond

Registry
Yes. His truck was previously mine. I also rebuilt a 110, the write-up is on the site - New Project start-up or something like that on the Rebuilds & restores. You're progressing at light speed compared to me but I had an 18 month old wandering round "helping" whilst wielding spanners, he'd always "borrow" the one tool I needed.
Waxoyl - I swear by the stuff, it's great everything comes apart so easily. White spirit gets it off.
Old June 9th, 2014, 06:32 PM
cbfritz_03
Carmen
none

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeslandrover View Post
Yes. His truck was previously mine. I also rebuilt a 110, the write-up is on the site - New Project start-up or something like that on the Rebuilds & restores. You're progressing at light speed compared to me but I had an 18 month old wandering round "helping" whilst wielding spanners, he'd always "borrow" the one tool I needed.
Waxoyl - I swear by the stuff, it's great everything comes apart so easily. White spirit gets it off.
Oh thanks! White spirit. I know that box can be fixed but hadn't found that info yet. The waxoyl is very thick. So I'm guessing to just remove it, just as much as necessary and then re-coat? I have what looks to be a solid month of nothing but cleaning and rebuilding parts. My 11 year old is plenty big to help me with that. We will have an assembly line of sorts .. (I'm being very hopeful, glass half full here..bare with me).. I saw that you had done a rebuild but I had to go to bed! I will find it later and take a look
Old June 11th, 2014, 06:22 PM
cbfritz_03
Carmen
none

Stopped by Dave's after work today and I took a few pictures for your viewing pleasure
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMAG0749.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	89.8 KB
ID:	96566   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0750.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	63.2 KB
ID:	96567  

Name:	IMAG0751.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	64.7 KB
ID:	96568  
Old June 26th, 2014, 05:24 PM
cbfritz_03
Carmen
none

Day 9

I am all ready to pull the motor and trans. Have to get a day off first! Dave called and said bulkhead is ready..wootwoot! Here are a few pictures of what he did. He sounded excited, so it must look pretty good. "Wait till you see it!!" It took him longer than expected because...well.. he was mowing with a riding lawnmower and thought he had disengaged the blade and... well...yes, be careful. He is all better now. In the mean time I've been working up a parts list...(oooh boy) Moving right along and I'm feeling a bit like this.. yeehaw!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMAG0774.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	76.0 KB
ID:	97652   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0772.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	84.3 KB
ID:	97653  

Name:	IMAG0769.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	76.9 KB
ID:	97654   Click image for larger version

Name:	-3.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	94.0 KB
ID:	97655  

Old July 6th, 2014, 10:50 AM
cbfritz_03
Carmen
none

Happy Work on Your Rover Day!!

List for today:

Remove tub floor, fuel neck, etc..
Disassemble bonnet
Remove door skins
Disassemble heater assembly and blower
Disassemble steps

..etc...""!
Old July 6th, 2014, 02:52 PM
Ignotus
gene
1960 109, w/200TDI

Thumbs up

Looking good Carmen! The rover too!

On my 109 I galvanized the bulkhead and painted it to match. also the radiatior support panel and every little steel thing I could at the time. There are ways to age paint to get a patina. Gooooooooooooooooooooooooogle is your friend.

IIRC Pegasas make replacement side pieces for seat bases. If they don't someone else is.

It looks like someone painted the chassis with chassis black or POR 15? Why are you pulling the tub floor?

Keep up the good work! and keep us updated. Are you blogging it anywhere online?
Blog;
Old July 6th, 2014, 11:00 PM
cbfritz_03
Carmen
none

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ignotus View Post
Looking good Carmen! The rover too!

On my 109 I galvanized the bulkhead and painted it to match. also the radiatior support panel and every little steel thing I could at the time. There are ways to age paint to get a patina. Gooooooooooooooooooooooooogle is your friend.

IIRC Pegasas make replacement side pieces for seat bases. If they don't someone else is.

It looks like someone painted the chassis with chassis black or POR 15? Why are you pulling the tub floor?

Keep up the good work! and keep us updated. Are you blogging it anywhere online?
Hello Gene. Your 109 is a beauty! Wow..great job. Did you document your build - where?? That's what I'm doing - stripping everything to be galvy. I need to call the co. and see how small a piece I can go, pricing, time frame and any extra fees. That's why I'm cleaning and blasting everything to bare metal. Others have mentioned being charged extra for paint and whatever. Cleaning them first will also let me see if anything needs welding or repair beforehand. Thanks for the info on the seat base. I have seen those replacement panels, but cannot remember the name of the co./site off hand. Yes, the chassis is black but peeling pretty good and I'm glad for that. It will make it easier to get it back to rover chrome and clear coat. I need to re-read the recent thread/discussion on galvy protection. I'm pulling the tub floor because it is not original to the truck, the cross members need replacing and the diamond plate is causing damage to the rest of the tub. Galvanic corrosion. Jeff had warned of it with my bonnet. I'm glad this is turning into a nut and bolt restoration because there was a lot of that going on and I would have never know if I hadn't pulled it apart. Thank you for your words of encouragement. I'll keep posting..
Old July 6th, 2014, 11:29 PM
roverman2010
John
1985 LR 90 200Tdi

Registry
Carmen, for the small pieces get some fencing wire (the thick steel stuff) and wire your smalls by looping them with the wire leave a couple of inches between them and the loops not so tight

Like the bits I am modeling. I was thinking I had a better picture I had stuff as small as the sill fixing brackets done.

Where you getting the galvanizing done?

Still looking for that place where I can carry a paddle and get asked what's that.

JnK Services
FC101 GS FFR
57 LR 88" SXF 858
85 LR90
95 D1 Tdi
05 D3 HSE
97 XK8 BRG FHC For Sale
Old July 6th, 2014, 11:47 PM
Ignotus
gene
1960 109, w/200TDI

Carmen,

Anything with holes in it can be strung on a wire, wire has to go to 800F. My galvanizer wires up everything. Stuff without wires can be put in a bucket with holes they have and spun clean.

My build is in my signature vv

gene
Blog;
Old July 7th, 2014, 12:05 AM
cbfritz_03
Carmen
none

Day 10 & 11

If you have never skinned a rover door..you are totally missing out on an amazing experience! lol It wasn't too terrible...you just have to go slow, especially if you want to re-use the skin. I have never skinned a door - started with a small flat head screw driver to get under a corner, moved up to a larger one and then finally a chisel. Slow and not heavy handed or your gonna rip something was the lesson I learned. Took about 3hrs to do the doors - worse part was the window gutter and the tiny rusty screws. Oh and separating the tops from the bottoms was a learning experience too. I figured out the easiest way was to cut a piece of the gasket out of the way, pry it open a bit and then whack the heck out of the first rivet. Yah..I didn't know there were rivets in there. There were three different kinds of caulking and sealant used? The one holding part of the glass in was like a black paste. Ugh..it was like old chewing gum. Gross! The skins made it off intact and just fine. The frames were all good and solid minus one of the door tops which will have to be fixed. Too rusty holey on one side. I removed all the railing from the tub except for the front one because I have to break out the grinder. I decided to save all the cutting for another day.
Sparks Will Fly Day

Bill o2batsea - thank you for the advice on the rivets. The chisel and beheading. It was so easy doing it that way and using the drill and punch when needed. There were rivet pieces everywhere... in my shirt and embedded in my flip flops. It was awesome. I took the dash down to metal, got the fuel neck out, took apart the steps, heater assembly and blower, windscreen, clutch and brake pedals...I had to sweep the garage floor twice!! My pile of soon to be galvanized stuff has now spread to the back porch. "" Hooray!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMAG0873.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	50.0 KB
ID:	98234   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0874.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	59.7 KB
ID:	98235  

Name:	IMAG0879.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	59.7 KB
ID:	98236   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0885.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	77.2 KB
ID:	98237  

Name:	IMAG0853.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	82.9 KB
ID:	98238   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0855.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	85.6 KB
ID:	98239  

Name:	IMAG0886.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	84.3 KB
ID:	98240  
Old July 7th, 2014, 12:54 AM
cbfritz_03
Carmen
none

Quote:
Originally Posted by roverman2010 View Post
Carmen, for the small pieces get some fencing wire (the thick steel stuff) and wire your smalls by looping them with the wire leave a couple of inches between them and the loops not so tight

Like the bits I am modeling. I was thinking I had a better picture I had stuff as small as the sill fixing brackets done.

Where you getting the galvanizing done?
Thank you for the advice. Well there are at least 4 different places within the same driving distance. Not concrete which one yet. Haven't spoken to them all and was waiting to see if anyone wanted/needed to do a run too. No sense in two or three separate trips if not needed. I'll be ready to go within the next few weeks - see what the turnaround time is. Have you had a good experience with one in particular?

------ Follow up post added July 6th, 2014 11:58 PM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ignotus View Post
Carmen,

Anything with holes in it can be strung on a wire, wire has to go to 800F. My galvanizer wires up everything. Stuff without wires can be put in a bucket with holes they have and spun clean.

My build is in my signature vv

gene
Thanks Gene. ..and I'll look at it tomorrow!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Build-up's, Projects & Registry Profiles > Truck Build-up's & Restores