Maiden Voyage into Landrovia... - Page 3 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Build-up's, Projects & Registry Profiles > Truck Build-up's & Restores

Old April 25th, 2014, 08:26 PM
Neil McCauley
Neil McCauley
94 ST, 97 ST, 93 110

Wait a second. Are you the one who bought the 2.25 Turner engine from marty at BP? I was going to buy that one but he said someone just nabbed it last week or so. He said someone from Texas bought it. It was sitting there for over a year, was waiting for them to discount it.

Robert Deniro
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 25th, 2014, 09:39 PM
cbfritz_03
Carmen
none

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil McCauley View Post
Wait a second. Are you the one who bought the 2.25 Turner engine from marty at BP? I was going to buy that one but he said someone just nabbed it last week or so. He said someone from Texas bought it. It was sitting there for over a year, was waiting for them to discount it.
No Neil.. wasn't me.
Old April 26th, 2014, 09:03 PM
cbfritz_03
Carmen
none

The good news... the chassis is already galvanized. The bad news... the bulk head is toast! Burnt (green) toast.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0460.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	77.2 KB
ID:	93704  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 26th, 2014, 09:10 PM
MUDSUX
Forrest
Like my Tatas?

Registry
You will come to a point where you realize the only thing holding the truck together is the rust

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"It is the soldier, who salutes the flag, who serves beneath the flag, and whose coffin is draped by the flag that allows the protester to burn the flag"
Old April 26th, 2014, 09:18 PM
cbfritz_03
Carmen
none

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUDSUX View Post
You will come to a point where you realize the only thing holding the truck together is the rust
LMAO! Thank you.. I needed that ...I also need a bulk head.. (galvanized please)
Old April 27th, 2014, 10:22 PM
cbfritz_03
Carmen
none

Day 3.5

Slept in a bit and am seeing it with new eyes today. It isn’t as burnt to a crisp as I thought. Thank you Craig, Dale, Brian and Mr. Tequila Elmo cup for helping me with advice, parts or just saying hi. I almost got to talk to Chris and Mr. Always where the party is Raub today, but I was already twisting wrenches... Thank you fellows for the morale boost. I sent pictures of what I have to my weld-it friend Dave and he said no worries. Dave is a classic car refurbishing guru imo and is very skilled when it comes to metal work. He has done welding and fab for me before and I feel at ease. His shop is right down the road from my office, so I can pop in and see how goes it. We’ll both take photos to post. I was going to start taking the tub off today but decided to go from the front and get that bulkhead off and to him asap. Was able to get all the ‘stuff’ pretty much out of the way or off. The po told me that all of the bumps/indentations in that door are from a paintball incident. Six hours, dirty fingernails, clutch fluid on my foot and a slight sunburn later this is what she looks like. Would have gotten the wings, radiator and such off but the bolts need to WD soak. I still have all the skin on my knuckles, no blood loss and I haven’t had to break out the grinder yet! It’s a WIN!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMAG0462.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	63.1 KB
ID:	93773   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0463.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	62.7 KB
ID:	93774  

Name:	IMAG0464.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	77.0 KB
ID:	93775   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0470.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	75.1 KB
ID:	93776  

Name:	IMAG0471.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	85.7 KB
ID:	93777   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0468.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	91.5 KB
ID:	93778  

Name:	IMAG0469.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	82.1 KB
ID:	93779  
Old April 27th, 2014, 11:12 PM
Daddymow
Raub A.
1987 D110 Tithonus

Registry
That must have been one hell of a paint ball gun!
Old April 27th, 2014, 11:30 PM
cbfritz_03
Carmen
none

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daddymow View Post
That must have been one hell of a paint ball gun!
Wish they had taken cover elsewhere! Now I get to say that it adds 'character'
Old April 29th, 2014, 09:29 PM
cbfritz_03
Carmen
none

Day 4

Got off work a little early today so I was able to twist wrench for a few hours. When I finally got the front grill off... in my head I was thinking 'One small step for man' lol After that the radiator came off easy...radiator fluid everywhere Then I focused on the wings. Whoever decided to put those four bolts there and those two bolts there..?! Ugh (the first band-aid)..that was the worst of it. Knocked out the two long bolts holding the bulkhead to the frame. All that is holding it on now is a few more bolts and getting the steering column out of the way..have left it there so far just in case I need it? Also, I was wondering if that is really how that wing is supposed to be attached to the passenger/right side of the frame... with zip cords? So this is what she looks like now and moving right along ..
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMAG0480.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	88.9 KB
ID:	93952   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0482.jpg
Size:	75.7 KB
ID:	93953  

Name:	IMAG0481.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	61.6 KB
ID:	93954   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0483.jpg
Size:	92.3 KB
ID:	93955  

Name:	IMAG0484.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	45.6 KB
ID:	93956   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0486.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	49.9 KB
ID:	93957  

Name:	IMAG0487.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	80.0 KB
ID:	93958   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0490.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	94.4 KB
ID:	93959  

Name:	IMAG0494.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	98.5 KB
ID:	93960  
Old May 8th, 2014, 04:49 PM
cbfritz_03
Carmen
none

Day 5 & 6

Dropped the bulkhead off at Dave's today and told him no rush, but he said it would be ready Saturday?! Must be nice to be that good. I didn't count but it looked like he had 7 projects going at once and he's a one man show. He was a bit shocked to know that I've been working on her by myself so far..showed him the pictures and he said - in his southern gentleman way... 'That is such a cool truck! Dang girl!! You are a hard worker! You need to come work with me in my shop!'... ""..Talk about making my day. Internship yay! Here's one of them that he is doing for a buddy. I could hang out in shops like his all day. We talked a little more about her and then I got out from under foot..he was busy.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMAG0527.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	100.6 KB
ID:	94574  
Old May 8th, 2014, 06:15 PM
Viggen
Jarrod
none

Nice gasser!
Old May 8th, 2014, 07:37 PM
revtor
Steve Maietta
1969 IIA 88" Bugeye

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viggen View Post
Nice gasser!
x2 - that is awesome!!
Old May 8th, 2014, 09:20 PM
cbfritz_03
Carmen
none

I know!.. let me tell you through pictures. I walk up and see this..and then I walk in and see the cover...I'm squealing like an 5 yr old inside... I holler to Dave cause he's grinding on something, the radio is blasting and he's in the other part of the shop..he comes out and we unveil. He is such a sweet and modest man.. but I will brag on him! He's AMAZING! ..what's scary is this isn't even his most jaw dropping. He IS Batman and Capt. America .. it's nice being in such good company. I'll be sure and tell him you guys liked it! He said when I go back it will be better because all of the chrome will be on. lol
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMAG0524.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	82.8 KB
ID:	94575   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0526.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	73.4 KB
ID:	94576  

Name:	IMAG0528.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	63.2 KB
ID:	94577  
Old May 13th, 2014, 10:41 PM
cbfritz_03
Carmen
none

The steering wheel incident..

Ok ..I know I probably did this all wrong, but I have never encountered a steering wheel that was this stuck. I have taken them off on other vehicles before and it was no trouble.. five minutes. They are simple..right? I could tell that it had been taken off before. I looked on several different forums like LandyZone and LR Addict, etc. (had lots of giggles) but this is what I ended up doing to get it off. I read about the nut left on loosely, the rubber mallet, tapping, twisting ..the many different techniques and curse words used.. but OMG it would not come off! I tried all of them. I didn't curse.. but I did ask her why she was being so mean to me. There was no puller that I could find (locally anyway) that would get a good bite on the wheel itself.. so I improvised
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMAG0500.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	73.5 KB
ID:	94869   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0502.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	119.0 KB
ID:	94870  

Name:	IMAG0544.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	111.2 KB
ID:	94871  
Old June 2nd, 2014, 09:05 PM
cbfritz_03
Carmen
none

So family has all gone back to their part of the US and I managed to get a few days off. I know what I want to do! Landy Time!! I had to replace the radiator cooler fan in my car, it was easy enough, but I sure missed the metal of the rover. I stripped or broke many of those little black christmas tree rivets. I'm spoiled on her. It was a lot of fun to have my sister here watching me wrench and get to meet Rover. For the inspirational music this time - I will be listening to the same station Raub and Doug were http://www.wnrn.org/ ... I will try and channel their skillz
Old June 3rd, 2014, 08:57 AM
MUDSUX
Forrest
Like my Tatas?

Registry
Good job Carmen!. I usually let it soak in PB Blaster for a few days and try again. If that doesn't work I use some heat. And if that doesn't work I break out the BFH!

"It is the soldier, who salutes the flag, who serves beneath the flag, and whose coffin is draped by the flag that allows the protester to burn the flag"
Old June 5th, 2014, 10:22 PM
cbfritz_03
Carmen
none

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUDSUX View Post
Good job Carmen!. I usually let it soak in PB Blaster for a few days and try again. If that doesn't work I use some heat. And if that doesn't work I break out the BFH!
Thank you Forrest! When I saw BFH, first thing I thought was Battle Field Heroes. Been hanging out with my kiddo too much lol 'First person shooter game?'

Yes, the BFH has been an invaluable tool in my more recent progress. That and the breaker bar. The one I am using was left behind the seat by the po. Love that thing.
Old June 5th, 2014, 11:12 PM
cbfritz_03
Carmen
none

Day 7 & 1/2

Woah. Where did the month of May go? Family, work, school..work, school and family. I haven't been able to touch her for too long. So I was able to take the steering bits off today, track rods (relay is soaking over night) Worse part was getting the rusty split pins out. Got the shocks off. Got all the wiring pulled out from under the tub and it's just sitting on top for now. A few friends are coming over tomorrow to help me lift it off. I am going to have to break out the grinder for the first time tomorrow to get the fuel tank off. Those three large bolts won't budge. I found a great built in cubby for my WD and PB. Here is what she looks like now

P.S. I stayed up waaay too late last night, discovered your build thread cgalpin. Hybrid electric. Really?? That is humbling and fantastic.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMAG0705.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	56.2 KB
ID:	96313   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0706.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	81.7 KB
ID:	96314  

Name:	IMAG0708.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	65.7 KB
ID:	96315   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0712.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	127.5 KB
ID:	96316  

Name:	IMAG0714.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	60.1 KB
ID:	96317   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0715.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	74.9 KB
ID:	96318  

Name:	IMAG0716.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	102.9 KB
ID:	96319  
Old June 6th, 2014, 08:55 AM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
Haha that's funny as I discovered your last night and was enjoying reading it. It looks great and keep up the good work.

The term hybrid is a but confusing as I intend it to mean a series/defender hybrid. It's all electric, not a ice/electric hybrid.
Old June 6th, 2014, 06:06 PM
MUDSUX
Forrest
Like my Tatas?

Registry
Holy cow did someone paint over Rover-Chrome?! That is a big no-no on this forum, ask the Parts Ninja!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Build-up's, Projects & Registry Profiles > Truck Build-up's & Restores