Maiden Voyage into Landrovia... - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Build-up's, Projects & Registry Profiles > Truck Build-up's & Restores

Old April 4th, 2014, 01:03 PM
cbfritz_03
Carmen
none

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottyoh View Post
Welcome aboard!
Well thank you!

------ Follow up post added April 4th, 2014 12:08 PM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyd View Post
Welcome Carmen.

AWD is not the same as full-time 4WD. Defenders aren't AWD, they're full-time 4WD as Paul pointed out above.

I've not driven a RHD truck, and while I'm sure it's easy to get used to, I'd think it makes think drive-throughs, toll booths, merging into traffic, etc. a bit of a pain. (Though you never really "merge" into traffic in an old Land Rover....).
I didn't think about toll booths. Guess it will have be a toll tag on the windshield then. Merging?..merging is going to be fun
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 4th, 2014, 01:20 PM
cbfritz_03
Carmen
none

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1of40 View Post
I too have a RHD diesel and really don't think you should be too concerned. Getting comfortable shifting does not take long. And being diesel you have plenty of time to correct mistakes on the fly because there's nothing slower that you can imagine. The concern, if any, with an older 90/110 off road is not shifting it is manual steering. There is not much shifting off road but the steering kickback is wicked and you need to be really careful. Keep your thumbs on the outside of the wheel at all times. Other than that you'll be in love and hooked for life.

Clay
Oh I can imagine the slowness.. and thanks for the reminder about the steering wheel. I have only driven a manual on the street and hadn't thought about the yank that being off road is going to bring. I'm sure after my first time experiencing that I won't forget it lol .. Yah..I imagine a rover AA meeting 'hello..my name is Carmen and I have a problem'.. I am already looking at all the miscellaneous swag; meaning era-correct piece parts I can put on it and I don't even have the truck yet!
Old April 14th, 2014, 05:35 PM
cbfritz_03
Carmen
none

After a little hurdle she is on the way. The POs are amazing people and I feel blessed they have entrusted something so cherished to me. They spoke so highly of the Land Rover community. All to say is that I feel as if a new member is soon to be joining my family... It's been a really good day
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20140413_195516.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	130.6 KB
ID:	93059   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4609[1].jpg
Views:	156
Size:	160.9 KB
ID:	93060  

Name:	20140414_092331.jpg
Views:	193
Size:	156.5 KB
ID:	93061  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 16th, 2014, 09:49 PM
cbfritz_03
Carmen
none

ETA of the driver.. who shall now be referred to as Santa...is 5hrs away! Almost to Dallas...which puts him here sometime around 1am. I have to be at work at 5am.. yeah I'm not sleeping tonight and it is going to be a looong day at work because I will be thinking about how I could be at home just staring at her! Now to make coffee and set out cookies and milk...!
Old April 16th, 2014, 10:12 PM
navydevildoc
Neill Thornton
1984 D90 300 Tdi / 1965 Series IIA
Site Team

Registry
Awesome!

Just to add on to other fellow RHD drivers, I don't have any problem driving my SIIA RHD when I get in. It only takes a few minutes at most for my brain to remember where I am.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old April 16th, 2014, 10:18 PM
Dogpilot
James Wallace
Defender 90 1997 NAS ST

Registry
Series vehicles are a hoot. I had 4 of them one being the NA diesel. Yes it is slow, real slow, like your kids evolve into a higher order on trips slow. However, you can and should get an overdrive. It will allow normal highway speeds on level ground and will help increase the low noise level of the series diesel. Invest in a lot of the soft yellow earplugs. They will go anywhere and have a huge amount of torque. Fitting better seats helps with you back a lot. I found sourcing the aux fuel tank a plus, the one that fits under the left seat. I still like the canvas top, I had both for my last one and would seasonally swap out. I liked being able to roll up the sides. Get a set of Whitworth wrenches, several critical items are in that weird english only standard, like the axel nuts. If you do a lot of hard off roading, get a spare set of rear axels, they fit behind the seats, just below the hand crank.

My last series, a 76 series III diesel up at Coyote Flats int he Sierras:

My Series IIa stuck in a "Dry" lakebed in Deep Springs Valley. Not really stuck, just needed some sagebrush to back out on:
Old April 16th, 2014, 10:27 PM
cbfritz_03
Carmen
none

Quote:
Originally Posted by navydevildoc View Post
Awesome!

Just to add on to other fellow RHD drivers, I don't have any problem driving my SIIA RHD when I get in. It only takes a few minutes at most for my brain to remember where I am.
Thank you Neill.. I have the ear to ear smile thing going on!
Old April 16th, 2014, 10:41 PM
cbfritz_03
Carmen
none

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogpilot View Post
Series vehicles are a hoot. I had 4 of them one being the NA diesel. Yes it is slow, real slow, like your kids evolve into a higher order on trips slow. However, you can and should get an overdrive. It will allow normal highway speeds on level ground and will help increase the low noise level of the series diesel. Invest in a lot of the soft yellow earplugs. They will go anywhere and have a huge amount of torque. Fitting better seats helps with you back a lot. I found sourcing the aux fuel tank a plus, the one that fits under the left seat. I still like the canvas top, I had both for my last one and would seasonally swap out. I liked being able to roll up the sides. Get a set of Whitworth wrenches, several critical items are in that weird english only standard, like the axel nuts. If you do a lot of hard off roading, get a spare set of rear axels, they fit behind the seats, just below the hand crank.

My last series, a 76 series III diesel up at Coyote Flats int he Sierras:

My Series IIa stuck in a "Dry" lakebed in Deep Springs Valley. Not really stuck, just needed some sagebrush to back out on:
I only just discovered the Series LR and it was love at first sight. My son is eagerly awaiting his first car. The noise level will help him out because I so like to do my karaoke renditions of all genres of music lol He is good to his mom. We are going to have a blast! Thank you very much for the advice and I will be reaching out to you when the time comes. Great pictures!
Old April 16th, 2014, 10:46 PM
Daddymow
Raub A.
1987 D110 Tithonus

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbfritz_03 View Post
Thank you Neill.. I have the ear to ear smile thing going on!
So cool! Be sure to post up some pictures when you meet!
Old April 16th, 2014, 10:58 PM
cbfritz_03
Carmen
none

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daddymow View Post
So cool! Be sure to post up some pictures when you meet!
Sure thing!.. I'll be the one with the huge smile sitting cross legged on the front bumper.. is it wrong to want to hug a vehicle?
Old April 16th, 2014, 11:09 PM
Daddymow
Raub A.
1987 D110 Tithonus

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbfritz_03 View Post
is it wrong to want to hug a vehicle?
Absolutly not!
Old April 17th, 2014, 10:05 PM
cbfritz_03
Carmen
none

There is a sweet little series here now.. and WOW...soo good in person!
Old April 17th, 2014, 10:10 PM
C391HAT
Zach
86 110

Congrats

How hard was it waiting for the truck to arrive?
Old April 17th, 2014, 10:15 PM
cbfritz_03
Carmen
none

Do I have to say? Oh my gosh.. but so worth it. They really have that something special don't they? It started raining when she got here and I didn't care. Just kept walking around and checking her out lol
Old April 24th, 2014, 10:03 PM
cbfritz_03
Carmen
none

Got started :)

Got started on the bonny lass today. I pretty much just took off the rack and removed everything inside down to the bulkhead. As of yesterday we have a new boy in the house (Rex helped babysit) so I had to stop periodically for feedings but I think I got a good start. Tomorrow I am wanting to get the top and doors off and whatever else I can muster. I left just enough bolts in place to have a floor to sit on and tomorrow I'll do all the underside ones. I'm just rolling with it and having a good time. Had a few pedestrians walking by stop and chat about it and say how much they like her Took just a few pictures. Going to replace all the wiring.. saw a lot of melting going on and mystery stuff that ran to nowhere. Neat seeing the gear box in person AND I found treasure!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMAG0427.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	125.4 KB
ID:	93580   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0439.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	70.6 KB
ID:	93581  

Name:	IMAG0442.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	91.5 KB
ID:	93582   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0445.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	48.3 KB
ID:	93583  

Name:	IMAG0444.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	77.1 KB
ID:	93584  
Old April 24th, 2014, 10:34 PM
MUDSUX
Forrest
Like my Tatas?

Registry
Fairey OD, great! Now you can hit 55! Had one on my Series 3 and one on my 110. Love that thing.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"It is the soldier, who salutes the flag, who serves beneath the flag, and whose coffin is draped by the flag that allows the protester to burn the flag"
Old April 24th, 2014, 10:40 PM
cbfritz_03
Carmen
none

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUDSUX View Post
Fairey OD, great! Now you can hit 55! Had one on my Series 3 and one on my 110. Love that thing.
Yes! Good times.. had one offer to buy her as is and another when I'm done already! NO!! She's all ours .. having fun with her. It's amazing what you can get done in a few hours with a socket set and a couple of screwdrivers. She is gonna run and look grrreat!
Old April 24th, 2014, 11:22 PM
Daddymow
Raub A.
1987 D110 Tithonus

Registry
The postal jeep is not feeling loved, I can tell.
Old April 24th, 2014, 11:50 PM
cbfritz_03
Carmen
none

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daddymow View Post
The postal jeep is not feeling loved, I can tell.
Guess I need to take it for a spin tomorrow then..but a buddy of mine just got her a pair of fuzzy dice?..and I got her a spinner ball for her massive steering wheel?
Old April 25th, 2014, 08:03 PM
cbfritz_03
Carmen
none

Day 2

Blasted 80's rock and got started around 10 and finished up around 4. Got the top and sides off...sooo many bolts. I had no idea that the windshield folded down like that..neat! ..yup getting to know your vehicle by taking it apart and putting it back together. I was going to take the doors off yesterday but the bolts were scary rusty so I spayed them last night with heavy duty WD and this morning they came off like butter..lube lube lube lube yes. I went around and sprayed everything I was going to take off today and had no troubles other than one pin on the vent flap. Am going to replace all the window gaskets anyway so I just cut them with a blade, worked them with a screwdriver and popped the glass out. Don't know why but I think the windshield wiper assembly is the cutest thing ever. The only place on the truck I see green is on the bulkhead and under the bonnet so I'm assuming that's the original color. She's going to need welding and fab work...of course. My garage is half full of pieces...a pile to keep and a pile to replace. So that's it for her for another couple of days till I have some time and then I get to do rivets!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMAG0446.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	76.3 KB
ID:	93635   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0449.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	109.1 KB
ID:	93637  

Name:	IMAG0450.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	131.4 KB
ID:	93638   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0454.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	95.4 KB
ID:	93639  

Name:	IMAG0455.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	83.4 KB
ID:	93640   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0456.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	110.4 KB
ID:	93641  

Name:	IMAG0457.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	88.2 KB
ID:	93642  

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Build-up's, Projects & Registry Profiles > Truck Build-up's & Restores