Ls2/ls3 v8 defender 90 & nv4500 5 speed - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Build-up's, Projects & Registry Profiles > Truck Build-up's & Restores

Old October 5th, 2013, 10:17 AM
metalmonsterjunk
Bob Jackson
Land Rover Defender 90 - 1988

Ls2/ls3 v8 defender 90 & nv4500 5 speed

Hello folks!

I'm going to be putting an LS2 or LS3 in my 1988 Defender 90 soon.

Going down the route of an NV4500 5 speed manual.

Atlas Transfer box / case. But which one?

Land Cruiser front and rear axles OR Dana?

Based in the UK, I will more than likely be ordering parts from the USA and having them shipped over....

Seen another chap on this forum who did a similar conversion a few years back. I've sent him a message and also commented on the thread in hope of a reply, thought I might as well start my own on here too.

Any advise, answers, the pros & cons would be greatly appreciated.

I have a nice sized 'Man Cave' I run my business from (Dismantlers of Discovery 2's & 3's) so will be doing most of the work myself, in the workshop.

Thanks in advance people!

Bob - West Yorkshire, UK

(Picture below is a few months ago - Out with the 3.9 Rover V8)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 5th, 2013, 07:40 PM
LaneRover
Brent
1965 109SW

How far below is the picture because I haven't found it yet . . .
Old October 5th, 2013, 10:38 PM
o2batsea
Bill Adams
66 109 sw 94 lwb

Registry
I'd go SM465, but that's just me. First gear is so tall on NV 4500 you'll always start in second so really it's only a 4speed. From Novak Adapters:

NV4500 Mythology
When the NV4500 was released in the mid-nineties, the 4wd aftermarket and magazines latched on quickly. It was uncritically ballied as the silver bullet and cure-all to any 4wd powertrain problem. Phrases like "Ultimate 4wd Transmission" have been common. As time and trial have shaken things down, the NV4500 trend is now seen by serious 4wd powertrain afficionados as a prime example of herd instinct. Many individuals have been left unsatisfied with the expense of their transmission investment vs. its benefits. The drawbacks have been: Gearing: The NV4500 has an initially attractive overdrive gear, but with a low gear of only 5.6:1 (most units) and a gear span of 6.07, its position against the heavy-duty four speeds (SM465, T18, SM420 or NP435) is inferior. Choosing the right axle ratio and tire size in conjunction with the right transmission is a smarter strategy than using overdrive as a patch to the system. Size: The length of the transmission, even in its shortest renditions, is too long for many Jeeps, especially those with suspension lifts. The result is u-joint vibration and weakness. The transmission also often requires serious surgery of the body's tunnel to gain back ground clearance. Expense: The initial flurry to get a 4500 drove up salvage prices that have never really ratcheted back down. New units have been available ranging from $2300. - $2600. Parts availability and expense are surprisingly discouraging in addition to frequent year-to-year parts changes. Expense for NVG to build these transmissions is significant. Overdrive adds serious complications to any gearboxes design and manufacturing. Strength: Weaknesses in the transmission mainshaft clutch splines and their mating hubs (usually 4th & 5th gears) from fatigue and wear are prominent. The HD four-speeds exhibit consistently better strength & wear characteristics. Adaptability: Expenses and complications in adapting to either the engine or the transfer case is high. Clutch linkages also prove challenging. There are too many NV4500's in Jeeps due to an artificial push by aftermarket profiteers and hungry magazine writers looking for a quick story. Actual research and critical analysis by the thoughtful Jeep builder will more often yield the conclusion that a heavy-duty, four-speed transmission (if not an automatic) will produce better on-road & off-road results with significantly less expense. PS whoops I see you're putting it in a D90. It's really really long. Are you sure the length with the adapter for Atlas will work?

1966 109 5 door wagon 300Tdi "spermaceti fueled"
1994 RRC LeWiB "ruining the air behind me"
1968 2A 88

All my troubles are Rover
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 5th, 2013, 11:30 PM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

Would a NVG3500 be any better on length?

I don't know about the brakes, only their unreliability.
Old October 6th, 2013, 05:06 AM
metalmonsterjunk
Bob Jackson
Land Rover Defender 90 - 1988

Thanks for your replies chaps. The only reason I came to thinking the 4500 would be a good idea is because I've read they are bomb proof and a manual is a MUST for me.

So far as length, I've not heard (until now) there would be any issues so far as that goes. I have been very tempted to build a 100" Defender for a while now.

o2batsea - What manual transmission would you recommend in that case?

JSBriggs - I would like the email for Matthew at advanced adapters if that's not too much trouble.

Thanks again! Keep the comments coming.

------ Follow up post added October 6th, 2013 10:08 AM ------

Thanks for your replies chaps. The only reason I came to thinking the 4500 would be a good idea is because I've read they are bomb proof and a manual is a MUST for me.

I've tried uploading a couple of images but not having any luck!

So far as length, I've not heard (until now) there would be any issues so far as that goes. I have been very tempted to build a 100" Defender for a while now.

o2batsea - What manual transmission would you recommend in that case?

JSBriggs - I would like the email for Matthew at advanced adapters if that's not too much trouble.

Thanks again! Keep the comments coming.
Old October 7th, 2013, 01:28 PM
LR Max
Thomason, Max
1973 Series 3 109

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky View Post
Would a NVG3500 be any better on length?
X2. Look for a 5.3 with a NV3500 out of the truck. Not common, but can be had.

That way you have a complete Engine and trans combo package that you know works. The NV3500 will be smaller, lighter, good gear spread, and you know it works. The 5.3, a lot of haters out there but its a good engine.

Do a few things to the 5.3, intake, exhaust, cam (get a 6.0 cam), and a general refresh (new injectors, clean the throttle body, etc) and you are golden. Decent power while still on pump gas, not ovetaxing the engine, and fairly powerful. FYI, you can get a cable actuated throttle body for these engines. They are out there. If memory serves, the Penske truck LQ4s and LQ9s had these. Very desirable.

Ok, not as awesome as a LS2 or LS3, but a lot tougher. Also good luck finding a used aluminum block engine that doesn't have cracks in it. Yeah, guess what that used engine came out of, a wrecked Camaro or wrecked Corvette. And you know when they wrecked, they weren't being easy on it.

Oh and remember that if you do get a LS2 or LS3, make sure it can provide some power at the low end. Talking with Jeep Owners, the Hemi 5.7 is a desired swap since the 5.7 has good low end power while the 6.1 and 6.4 (is this correct?) isn't as powerful at the low end.

Atlas would be great. Its the standard and can be had in a configuration to bolt up to the NV3500 easily. Front digs are

Might consider Toyota axles if they are more plentiful in your neck of the woods. If you aren't worried about money, a pair of custom built Dana 60s will be AWESOME.

Hope my ramblings help.
Old October 7th, 2013, 04:40 PM
crown14
Verticalscrote
Volkswagen Super Beetle
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
LOL @ the "Actual research and critical analysis by the thoughtful Jeep builder" comment.
Old December 25th, 2013, 10:07 AM
Archbronco
Josh
1983 Land Rover 110

NV4500 and NV3500 have been a common swap with the Bronco guys for years. They run big HP through both with success. Mindful that most upgrade their t-case to an Atlas and upgrade their axles.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Build-up's, Projects & Registry Profiles > Truck Build-up's & Restores

Tags
90, defender, defender 90, v8