LBZ Duramax in a 130 Extra cab ute - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Build-up's, Projects & Registry Profiles > Truck Build-up's & Restores

Old June 15th, 2016, 10:08 PM
Gaz69
Garry
97 Defender 130 Extracab-6.6Duramax

LBZ Duramax in a 130 Extra cab ute

Hi Folks,
I thought i would start a build page on this forum. I have been fascinated with what you guys have been doing with the LS1/2 combo's in your defenders so thought i would show you my 1997 Defender. I have owned this vehicle for about 12 years and it originally had a 300Tdi motor. I ended up blowing up 5th gear and was due to go to the US for a holiday so thought i would bring back a Duramax/allison. I had previously started another project with a 2001 130 with a LBZ but that's another story. I got the actual conversion finished May 2014 and pulled it off the road January this year to do a full strip /refresh. I also want to put a decent AC in it so playing around with dashboards also.

Photo before i pulled it off the road
[IMG][/IMG]

Engine bay shot prior to changes
[IMG][/IMG]

Current revised intake set up to get more airflow

[IMG][/IMG]

Cheers
Gaz

------ Follow up post added June 16th, 2016 11:42 AM ------

I have also been making new a new bullbar with winch and side rails/steps. I have yet to get them powder coated.

[IMG][/IMG]

Cheers
Garry
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 15th, 2016, 10:19 PM
Kelbo
Kelly
'86 110

Registry
Amazing.

'86 110

Former Rigs:
'94 D 90 ST
'84 D 130 Hi-Cap
Old June 15th, 2016, 10:51 PM
Daddymow
Raub A.
1987 D110 Tithonus

Registry
Crazy.
Advertisement

Old June 16th, 2016, 12:31 AM
JohnsD90
John
74 SIII 88", 88 110, 91 110

Registry
Very cool! How hard was it to get the engineer certificate? You could do one in a 6x6, pick a non-operational one up at the minto auction and stuff a duramax in there, might fit a bit better and you will have the leaf setup up in rear to carry some weight.
Old June 16th, 2016, 04:00 AM
Gaz69
Garry

Quote:
Very cool! How hard was it to get the engineer certificate? You could do one in a 6x6, pick a non-operational one up at the minto auction and stuff a duramax in there, might fit a bit better and you will have the leaf setup up in rear to carry some weight
The engineer has viewed the vehicle and is happy with how i have done it, just now to go through the formal process. I am stripping the vehicle so i can galvanise the chassis so will have a couple more visits to see him to get it signed off etc. I would love a 6X6 but have just bought a RFSV 110 instead! This 130 is my daily driver so its the perfect size.

Cheers
Gaz
Old June 16th, 2016, 11:03 AM
JohnsD90
John

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaz69 View Post
The engineer has viewed the vehicle and is happy with how i have done it, just now to go through the formal process. I am stripping the vehicle so i can galvanise the chassis so will have a couple more visits to see him to get it signed off etc. I would love a 6X6 but have just bought a RFSV 110 instead! This 130 is my daily driver so its the perfect size.

Cheers
Gaz
Sweet, at the quiet Awol auction? I snagged an rfsv as well from that
Old June 16th, 2016, 11:20 AM
phoenix37
john
97 D90 ST / 1957 S1 109/ 1983 LS110

Registry
Very cool truck... excuse me if this is a stupid question but what makes this an "extra cab"? appears like a pickup cab to me.. am i missing something?
Old June 16th, 2016, 11:40 AM
Macker
Mack Crouch
1988 110 LS 5.3

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenix37 View Post
Very cool truck... excuse me if this is a stupid question but what makes this an "extra cab"? appears like a pickup cab to me.. am i missing something?
See the oval window behind the front door window? He added that length to the bulkhead/pickup cab roof for a little extra room in the cab.
Old June 16th, 2016, 11:44 AM
JohnsD90
John

Registry
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macker View Post
See the oval window behind the front door window? He added that length to the bulkhead/pickup cab roof for a little extra room in the cab.
Land Rover Australia added that bit.
Old June 16th, 2016, 11:48 AM
phoenix37
john
97 D90 ST / 1957 S1 109/ 1983 LS110

Registry
Quote:
yup...i see that now.. thanks
Old June 16th, 2016, 07:38 PM
Gaz69
Garry

Extra Cab

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Land Rover Australia added that bit.
Not many of them around but gee, it makes a huge difference to driver comfort.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaz69 View Post

Cheers
Gaz
Sweet, at the quiet Awol auction? I snagged an rfsv as well from that
Ha ha. Yeah, i got 51-677!
Old June 17th, 2016, 10:18 AM
don
Don Bunnell
'86 110 3dr ST

Registry
Wow - very cool build.

That LBZ must put out plenty of power to move the 130 down the road easily enough! Did the LBZ need a lot of wiring / ECU mods to work with the Defender?
Old June 17th, 2016, 07:20 PM
Gaz69
Garry

Wiring

Quote:
Wow - very cool build.

That LBZ must put out plenty of power to move the 130 down the road easily enough! Did the LBZ need a lot of wiring / ECU mods to work with the Defender?
The LBZ certainly moves it easy. I just love the torque of the motor and thats running a 1:1 transfer case. I am using all of the chevy wiring at the moment sbut when i rewire, i will use BCM etc and minimal land rover wiring. My idea is to use silverado instrument cluster etc.

Cheers
Gaz
Old November 3rd, 2016, 07:05 AM
Gaz69
Garry

New Dash & Vintage Air heater A/C

Been plodding away installing my new dash. Drew it in Inventor and then had alloy water jet cut. I wanted to use the duramax instrument cluster so was a battle to get it all in. As my ute is a extra cab, the seat is a lot further back so it gives me more room to play with.

Cheers
Gaz

------ Follow up post added November 3rd, 2016 09:42 PM ------

I also have made a new exhaust as wanted to go away from my original twin 4 inch so made a single 5 inch system. I got a muffler from Summit racing as basically there is nothing available in Australia. Once the vehicle is stripped i will fully weld it out. Getting close to finish my Fab work at long last! I haven't been behind the wheel since January so been a while!

Cheers
Gaz
Old November 3rd, 2016, 09:37 AM
transientmechanic
Adam
1972 SIII

Ive been waiting for one of these to pop up. It makes a lot of sense. But also no sense at all. Love it.
Old November 3rd, 2016, 10:08 AM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
Looks great, Gaz - once you get done, have all the bare metal powdercoated black...it will definitely improve the appearance!
Old November 3rd, 2016, 07:15 PM
Gaz69
Garry

Makes sense to me

Quote:
Ive been waiting for one of these to pop up. It makes a lot of sense. But also no sense at all. Love it.
Over here in OZ they all drive V8 diesel Land Cruiser so rather than be a sheep and follow the pack i had to go bigger. People just don't expect it from a Land Rover.

Quote:
Looks great, Gaz - once you get done, have all the bare metal powdercoated black...it will definitely improve the appearance!
I'm going to get the chassis hot galv dipped. Everything else will be repainted also.

Cheers
Gaz
Old November 4th, 2016, 05:04 PM
oilburner
JL
large pile of parts

This is a great project! Have you done any work to the chassis to stiffen it up, and how are the axles holding up to all that extra power? They are a great engine, quiet, small, lightweight (compared to a 6BT).
Diesel-swapped 1994 80 series Land-cruiser
And a difflocked 4wd turbodiesel Lambo
Old November 4th, 2016, 06:21 PM
Gaz69
Garry

oilburner
Quote:
This is a great project! Have you done any work to the chassis to stiffen it up, and how are the axles holding up to all that extra power? They are a great engine, quiet, small, lightweight (compared to a 6BT).
Thanks mate. I plated the chassis from the front coil mounts to the 1st cross member under the transmission with a 5mm plate on each side. Drive line has been fine so far with over 350 kilometres on them. I have upgraded maxi drive axles in the back and managed to get one of Keith's 1.5 inch axles (to go in yet) before he stopped making them. Im thinking about going to a D60 front later but no rush at the moment. The Duramax are certainly a smooth motor and the Allison just makes it a perfect combination.

Cheers
Gaz
Old November 4th, 2016, 09:34 PM
oilburner
JL
large pile of parts

The Allison just seals the deal, for sure. I'll be watching this one!
Diesel-swapped 1994 80 series Land-cruiser
And a difflocked 4wd turbodiesel Lambo

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Build-up's, Projects & Registry Profiles > Truck Build-up's & Restores

Tags