Defender Source Forum banner

Iveco TD in a 110 one step at a time...

Tags
8K views 59 replies 14 participants last post by  rdavisinva 
#1 · (Edited)
There were several versions of the Iveco 4 cylinder 2.5 and 2.8 liter Turbo Diesel engines.
These engines were used in vans, trucks, and the Land Rover PS-10.

I decided to install one in a 110 using the large vibration absorbing Mercedes hydraulic filled motor mounts.

The 110 that original had a 2.5 liter 4 cylinder.
Notice the stock frame mounts.

Attachments

See less See more
#3 · (Edited)
LH Motor Mount

The engine was a bit of a squeeze on the LH side.
The motor mount on the frame was cut off, moved back about 5 inches, turned around, and welded in place.
This was unavoidable because the stock oil filter and oil cooler housing needed the same space.
In every other kit I have built, the frame mounts bolt on top of the original 2.5 frame mounts.

Attachments

#4 · (Edited)
RH Motor Mount

The RH mount was easier, but actually took longer because of the distance to bridge.
Note how it fits right over the stock mount tightly and bolts in place.
So the only cutting and welding is on the other side (LH)

Attachments

#7 · (Edited)
Stock transmission mounts work fine = No change...
We made a custom adapter and backing plate to mate to the Land 4 cylinder short transmission belhousing used with 4 cylinder engines and a custom flywheel to take the Land Rover pilot bushing and 9.5" clutch.
I'll get some pictures and add them to the thread.

#17 ·
I'll offer this as a kit, but the buyer will have to wait on the machine shop schedule for manufacturing.
We only have 3 of these engines and they will go fast.
One kit is finished (as shown in the thread) and we are only making 2 more kits to match our current stock of engines...

#20 · (Edited)
Finally had a little time to clean up and paint the frame in the engine bay.
The 4th fitting for the engine was a charm and with the clutch on this time, it easily slid home.
The front diff, frame rails (left one was tight), and hood all clear with 3/8" or more.
Now to hook up everything...

Still waiting on the starter from Mean Green...
Hope they come through, if not, this will be the second time they let us down.
The starter has been paid for for 2.5 years when we were going to use them for the OM617 Kit, but they never came through and stopped returning my telephone calls.
When I reminded them 2 weeks ago, they said no problem, we'll send the starter right away.
Good thing it wasn't a rope for someone standing in quicksand.

Attachments

#24 ·
Nice swap, I think the Canadian Military uses that engine in their Iveco trucks.
I live close to the base and see a lot sitting around must be waiting for to be sold off.
I have a pal waiting for that he is going to build a Overland truck out of one.

#25 · (Edited)
Finally got my second starter from Mean Green.
The machine shop had to fix the offset, but it now works just fine.
So we started the engine.
It will be nice to see how well it pulls the 110 around.
If it can haul a Land Rover Santana, it should work fine in a 110.
From this link you can see the same engine:
http://www.4wdonline.com/Misc/Santana.html

When in England there were business that ran fleets of Iveco trucks and swore by them.
The larger trucks have a 6 cylinder engine, but the smaller van type have the same engine as the Land Rover Santana PS-10.
I think it's a good choice for an Overlander platform, Randy.

#28 ·
Yep after a few years they called me out of the blue and sent the second starter.
It was a shock!

#27 ·
getting closer to the big day like a kid with a new BIG wheel.
I'm not sure what I'm doing maybe a 3.9 Cummins or Ford 5.0. 412 HP would be nice.
Keep the posts coming.

#29 · (Edited)
Coolant hoses finally done complete with zip tie mounted radiator that will be changed in the future.
It took a little layout time to get the routing correct and out of the way.
This was as close to a factory look we could get.
Since this is a prototype first run, just looped the heater hoses for now and will test with tap water.

Machine shop is making a clevis with a hole, so we can mount the accelerator cable that we bought yesterday at a bicycle shop.

Will post more when it is driving later this week or even as soon as today if the machine shop gets to the clevis.

Attachments

#31 ·
I hope those aren't used zip ties. I see you switched over to using new hose clamps. Lookin good!

:hide:

#36 ·
Found some downloads off the Iveco Daily Forum and this 2.8 TDI style engine is around 120 HP with over 200 FT LBs of torque.

Reactions: Ephry73
#39 ·
Update:

New short belhousing R380 Stumpy and new 1.4 T-case (both from Ashcroft) were installed over the weekend.
Drove it down the local bypass at 75 MPH with plenty of petal left.
More clunky sounding than the OM617 and 4JB1-T, about on par with a 200TDI or a little louder, but no real vibrations.
Without tuning or intercooler, seems about the same as a Land Rover TDI, although known for bullet proof reliability in the PS-10 and Daily trucks.

It will be interesting to drive it in the future intercooled with the fuel turned up and a manual boost controller when ever I have some time to spend on it.

#45 · (Edited)
The Iveco 110 is a daily driver for about 2 weeks.
No problem going 85 MPH with about 1/3rd of the petal left, but keep it between 72 and 78 MPH where it seems most happy.
Enjoying the performance.

Figured you needed a break from "United Airlines - Yesterday's Incident"...
Will post a few pictures of the Iveco 110 in a day or 2 and provide some interesting vehicle history.

Reactions: molonlabedoc
#46 ·
After almost 2 years, put this vehicle on the road.
The manual boost controller stuck and blew the head gasket after the boost hit about 25 PSI.

Was in a hurry to make Uwharrie, so swapped out the engine and have been driving it daily.
Very nice and very quick with lots of performance.
at 72 MPH you're only pushing the petal down less than 1/4".

Next step is installing the Glass Mat Deep Cycle Battery Bank and AC.

#47 ·
Was rushed to get to Uwharrie which I missed, but took the time to install a series of relays that divert the power output from the alternator to the deep cycle battery bank.
Also the relays switch the volt meter from reading the car battery reading the DC Battery Bank.

We used XS Power D5100, Deep cycle 12-volt AGM batteries
https://www.crutchfield.com/p_122D5...a&awnw=g&awcr=47669029105&awdv=c&awug=9008492

They fit nicely in the battery box.
We will go back and make the proper cables, but for now everything works fine.
The next step will be to install 2 more under the right seat, but this will require modifying the tool box.

Attachments

#48 · (Edited)
Next the machinist made a 4 groove crank pulley to replace the single pulley to run a higher output alternator and an AC compressor.

We did a mock-up using a piece of plywood to position the compressor and obtain the mounting plate dimensions.
Next we'll make the mounting plate and work out exactly where the compressor will mount and prototype the mounting before it is transferred from the engine in the shop to the engine in the vehicle.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.