Help in Germany - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Build-up's, Projects & Registry Profiles > Truck Build-up's & Restores

Old July 23rd, 2012, 04:32 AM
grapplerdan
Dan
1989 110 CSW 200TDi--now with 19J

Help in Germany

I just bought my first defender 110! I am an American soldier stationed at Baumholder in Germany and thought now was the time to get my defender. I bought it from a used dealer in the UK, flew up to Manchester and drove it back to Germany. All is well and it is everything I had hoped it would be (110 CSW, 200Tdi, 1989 so I can take it to US with me in 2014, etc).

Now that it is here in Germany, I am having a hard time getting parts to refurbish it. I will be repairing the doors, want to change to R380, replace the rotors/brakes, little odds and ends. My problem is being in Germany. I haven't found any 'Junk Yards' to go hunt for quality used parts and am wondering if there is someone here in Germany that could provide a little mentoring on where to go, etc to find parts. There isn't exactly an 'Autozone' nearby. Also, I may want to change out the chassis and switch out the wiring harness and fuse panel at that time if I do, but think that is too much beyond my limited 'fix it' capabilities. Is there a rebuilder/refurbisher in Germany area that wouldn't charge me crazy money to do it. Or, should I purchase the chassis and have it shipped home with me to just get it done back in the states?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 23rd, 2012, 06:23 AM
o2batsea
Bill Adams
66 109 sw 94 lwb

Registry
While it has been a gazillion years since I was stationed in Germany, I found it very frustrating for DIYers. The local mechanics in their usual Teutonic style, were very anal and by the book about making auto repairs. They think of cars as if they are aircraft that would fall out of the sky if you installed the wrong spark plugs. Maybe there is some secret Polezei department in charge of Original Parts. Consequently, their meticulousness translates to high parts and labor prices.
I used the base self serve auto repair facility extensively. Just be sure not to leave a bunch of Rover crap piled up there cuz they make you clear that place when you DEROS.
Perhaps you can plan on some parts safaris in your future. Rent a trailer and haul it on up to Blighty, bringing it back full of Rover-y goodness. Beats a wine tour of Alsace any day!

1966 109 5 door wagon 300Tdi "spermaceti fueled"
1994 RRC LeWiB "ruining the air behind me"
1968 2A 88

All my troubles are Rover
Old July 23rd, 2012, 07:08 AM
SafariHP
Safari Heritage Parts
1983 Defender 110

We drop ship direct to APOs and can assist with parts. There are also several board members in Germany that might be able to assit.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 23rd, 2012, 07:14 AM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

Go buy a Land Rover Magazine (easier on English bases I suspect).
Shipping from England to EEC is really cheap and you avoid England's awful 20% sales tax
I buy lots of stuff from Paddocks. Gearbox Ashcroft Transmission

I don't know about the brakes, only their unreliability.
Old July 23rd, 2012, 08:06 AM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
PM JimC - he's stationed in Germany and is a moderator on the board.
Cat Camping Collective founding member and Chief Executive Officer
Old July 23rd, 2012, 03:27 PM
grapplerdan
Dan

Thanks guys...although I love the travelling and sightseeing, it is frustrating not being able to go to an autoparts store. I would not say I am mechanically inclined, but love to take things apart and see how they work, then try putting them back together. With the defender being so easy to tinker with, this is going to be fun.

I will likely try the trailer route for the bigger items. It is a fun ferry ride and now I can take the wife and kids and make a short 4-day trip.

Thanks for the help and assistance; I'm sure I'll be picking your brains later...

Exercise ferments the humors, casts them into their proper channels, throws off redundancies, and helps nature..., without it, the body cannot subsist in its vigor, nor the soul act with cheerfulness.
Joseph Addison (1672 - 1719)
Old July 23rd, 2012, 10:55 PM
johan
johan
2009 Range Rover

Don't know where you are in Germany but this is a place in The Netherlands close to the German boarder

http://www.rangeroverrecycling.nl/

The name might be misleading, they have a ton of used Defenders for parts. This place is bigger then many places in the UK.

YOu can also try,

http://www.land-rover-ersatzteile.de/

Lett me know if you need help translating, my German and Dutch is not to bad.
Old July 23rd, 2012, 11:52 PM
Matt_110
Matt

When I was at Ramstein, there was a good Auto Skills Center on Kapaun. Unfortunately the USAF cut all funding to these worldwide and they are expected to close by the end of the FY. Does Baumholder or Spangdahlem have one? There are usually some helpful guys there to help out.

Edit: here it is. Go there and get on the good side of one of the retirees that work there. They should be able to help you out, or if anything point you to a good place off base. http://finditguide.de/listing.php?lid=6600&type=2
Old July 24th, 2012, 12:21 AM
Miller
Jon Miller
'85 ROW 110 SW

Registry
There is a second-hand LR parts place in Germany: http://www.landrover-secondhand.de/

When I was stationed at Heidelberg with my 110, I actually obtained most of the parts I needed via US vendors and shipping to my APO address. Now for large items, you'll be better off looking in Europe. Try posting some wanted ads on http://forums.lr4x4.com/. They have a more international crowd. I've had good luck getting second-hand parts from other enthusiasts in Europe via that forum.

- Jon
Old July 29th, 2012, 03:25 PM
grapplerdan
Dan

Thanks again to all the helpful defender owners. Your responses have pointed me in the right direction. I just drove my family (wife and 5kids) with the inlaws (Gma and Gpa) from Baumholder to Berchtesgaden for the week. It was a blast and Britney (what the kids named her) performed great. The radiator hose 'popped' going up to the Hinterbrand lodge, down the street from the Eagle's Nest, but was able to cut it and temporarily fix it. I'll be going over her little by little during the next few months and your posts have definitely helped me. I'll keep you all posted...

dan
Old July 29th, 2012, 06:05 PM
Gren_T
Gren Thomas
1985 90 300tdi auto

Hi Dan welcome to the club, there is also: www.landy-depot.de based in wiesbaden no doubt lots of others will come to light.

regards

Gren

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Build-up's, Projects & Registry Profiles > Truck Build-up's & Restores

Tags
newbie in need