Fubar - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Build-up's, Projects & Registry Profiles > Truck Build-up's & Restores

Old March 3rd, 2015, 11:35 AM
FUBAR
Andrew
1987 110 CSW LHD, 200TDI disco swap

Fubar

Hello all,

thought I might share this with you guys. I was posting it on Xpedition Portal but it might interest folks on here too. Most of the first few lines will be reposts but with milder temps in sight, I'll have more work done on it soon.

Charles last summer after moving for the first time in 4 years

First off the story behind truck,
My father bought it back in early 2000's from a gentleman in BC and had it shipped via rails to Montreal where we picked it up. From what we could gather the 110 was originally sold to an Italian car dealer called Best Car (thus the decals). The dealer used it as a recovery vehicle when they took clients out for a spin in various 4x4 they sold.

My dad and his brother on the local ski hill

My dad was long time rover enthusiast and owning three discos over the years, 2 in Quebec and 1 when we briefly lived in California. He participated in a couple of off-road outing organised by local clubs and always enjoyed driving.

Misc shots California 2002-2003(?) club (?) my dad in the center of the shot

The defender was for him the ultimate rover. He bought it with the intention of equipping it for off-roading with clubs around here.

Misc shots California 2002-2003(?) club (?)

When we first got the truck it was in pretty good condition, mechanically and esthetically speaking. He used it mostly for local runs around town but never really did anything with it. On top of things, he's far from a handy man, I once saw him struggle for four hours changing the bathroom door knob!

The truck's condition degraded over the years. It became less and less reliable, it was on the road less and less making it even more unreliable. He busted the turbo, the engine, tires, electrical... The mechanic taking care of it was truly old school and found of tie-wraps and tape for fix most of the issues.

In its final days it had a hard time making it up hills, puffed clouds of clue smoke and was stubborn to start. My dad thought he'd broken the transmission one morning trying to start it and never bothered to fix it... for 4 years.

Fast forward to last April and I decided to buy back the truck and fix it up, I spend most of my week-ends fishing and holidays on road trips all over the place and the 110 was the perfect truck!

Turns out the old man had a plan, which he still hasn't admitted: if the truck was mine, he could justify to my mother outrageous funding. After all, doesn't she want her son to have a safe reliable ride? So, in a way, I'm building the rover my dad always wanted with decent funding on his end, not a bad deal for both parties!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 3rd, 2015, 12:43 PM
FUBAR
Andrew
1987 110 CSW LHD, 200TDI disco swap

First order of business after acquiring the 110 was finding a partner to build it up. A year ago, I had little to no mechanical experience, but was inclined on figuring things out on my own. For such a massive undertaking I need someone who not only could figure out what needed to be done, but also some one that was fun to work with. Enter my buddy Karl.

90% of the time he's like that

Karl was the perfect fit! Self declared redneck engineer, hater of idiots and road trip buddy he has a we can do whatever you want attitude.

Whatever you want mechanically speaking includes his notorious Mustang powered Tercel, 300$ turbo kit for his roommates Miata, his brothers 5.3L GMC powered 335i (soon to be turbo) and his daily driver 600$ VW jetta that runs much rougher than the 110.

The Miata turbo, a much hated car on several Mazda forums

Working on a 110 caused him no fear as long as he could have a spare set of keys and borrow it from time to time.

First order of business was getting old Charles moving. Swapped out the oil, filter, starter motor and it ran! Next order of business was the ''broken transmission'' which turned out to be debris/dirty clutch fluid, thankfully a quick an easy fix... that time around. Finally, the breaks, shot to point where we had to strike them with a hammer to lose them up.

here's a short video I edited as part of a past project of mine.

Over the next week-end we changed out the break lines, front caliper assembly and cleaned up the rear drums. Between busy schedules, a trip to Central America, FedEx losing my packages (3 times in a year) it took us almost 4 months before our first real test drive in august! In the mean time not much had changed, upgraded the head lights, picked up some parts and put in new speakers.

working on the front breaks

By early September we hatched a plan, we'd visit our friend Simon who was staying for a year in BC (Nelson) with the 110. That left us 2 months to get the truck road ready, putting all of our efforts on the mechanical aspect of the project.

Initially we wanted to upgrade the 19J, then we considered a VW engine, we quickly came to our senses and started looking for a 300tdi. By shear luck I found a 200TDI kit not 2 hours away in Vermont on Craigslist. Contacted the gentleman who was selling the recondition disco engine imported from the UK for his own 110. A project he unfortunately had to put on hold. Drove down to check it out with Karl and a week later I was doing the same drive, this time with a pick-up, bringing the new engine home.

the new 200Tdi

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Build-up's, Projects & Registry Profiles > Truck Build-up's & Restores