Exhaust options - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Build-up's, Projects & Registry Profiles > Truck Build-up's & Restores

Old October 21st, 2013, 09:40 AM
bonefish4
Brian Merrins
1995/D90 ST

Registry
Exhaust options

Turns out my OEM exhaust (which may be original) needs to be replaced. Have "heard" the borla is too loud for some (I have small children who will be out with me frequently) but have one on my CJ-7 which I have been happy with. Any other suggestions would be great.

Also - was told by another D90 owner to go with ceramic coated manifolds (which would make sense given I've had manifold iusses with the jeep as well). Any thoughts on them in general or specific place to source would be helpful.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 21st, 2013, 10:17 AM
1of40
1of40
NAS 97SW & 83 One Ten Tdi

Registry
What I've done and have been happy with is a custom tailpipe and a flowmaster muffler. The custom tailpipe cost me a little less than a stock tailpipe. I wanted my the tailpipe to exit straight out the back as opposed to the side.

I had a 110 with exhaust manifolds that had been wrapped and I was ammased with how much cooler the interior kept on hot summer days. If ceramic headers do the same I'd say that's a good investment.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old October 21st, 2013, 01:54 PM
trumphair
Martin
97-D90

My problem with the Borla was more that it had an unpleasant drone to it. It was also probably too loud but the tone at certain points was annoying. I only had mine on a couple of weeks before I took it off.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 21st, 2013, 02:23 PM
rd10014
Ronnie
1993 NAS D110

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by trumphair View Post
My problem with the Borla was more that it had an unpleasant drone to it. It was also probably too loud but the tone at certain points was annoying. I only had mine on a couple of weeks before I took it off.
I've heard the same thing. How about NRP, whats louder the NRP or the Borla?
Old October 21st, 2013, 02:24 PM
Shep29
KS
'95 RRC LWB

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by trumphair View Post
I completely disagree. I have a Borla exhaust and think it sounds great. It's pretty quiet until you get to 2500 RPM's and then you hear a nice rumble. But it's certainly not too loud, even with the top off IMO. I actually wish it had a bit more rumble.
'96 D1 SE7 Willow Green - SOLD
Old October 21st, 2013, 02:34 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Borlas last forever and have one on two different rovers. I would prefer them to be quieter as stock rover exhaust is quite quiet, but at least they don't rust out.
Old October 21st, 2013, 03:03 PM
o2batsea
Bill Adams
66 109 sw 94 lwb

Registry
NRP if you enjoy a challenge. They will turn brown pretty quick too.

1966 109 5 door wagon 300Tdi "spermaceti fueled"
1994 RRC LeWiB "ruining the air behind me"
1968 2A 88

All my troubles are Rover
Old October 25th, 2013, 08:39 AM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
Magnaflow
Old October 25th, 2013, 08:53 AM
bonefish4
Brian Merrins
1995/D90 ST

Registry
Thanks everyone - for the thoughtful input. Cost/benefit the Borla looks like it makes the most sense - just a question of whether I drive the family crazy in the process.

Brother in law (multiple past defender owner) suggested ceramic coated headers - seems like there has been some past banter on this topic, but nothing in the past few years? Seems like a good idea and would love to source if possible.
Old October 25th, 2013, 09:07 AM
Bill Larson
Bill Larson
97 D90 SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by rd10014 View Post
I've heard the same thing. How about NRP, whats louder the NRP or the Borla?
I went from Magnaflow to Borla I don't think one is louder over the other, just a different tone. At 2800 rpm every system is going to peak. I am leaning toward the overall benefits of the Borla.

------ Follow up post added October 25th, 2013 08:09 AM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonefish4 View Post
Thanks everyone - for the thoughtful input. Cost/benefit the Borla looks like it makes the most sense - just a question of whether I drive the family crazy in the process.

Brother in law (multiple past defender owner) suggested ceramic coated headers - seems like there has been some past banter on this topic, but nothing in the past few years? Seems like a good idea and would love to source if possible.

You can pickup a used set of headers and have them dipped. It's the same quality and gets the job done. There are a few sets around, just search the threads going back 6 months.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Build-up's, Projects & Registry Profiles > Truck Build-up's & Restores

Tags
exhaust