Diamond the Dormobile 110 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Build-up's, Projects & Registry Profiles > Truck Build-up's & Restores

Old March 30th, 2009, 12:56 AM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Diamond the Dormobile 110

Hello all,

Background:

This project has been eight years in collecting parts. It started when I bought two dormobiles and a third series III parts truck off a gentleman in Canada. I kept one dormobile and sold the other off. The SIII was parted out, but its bulkhead and title lives on another series truck.

The base 1964 dormobile was complete, but completely rusty and corroded. I took it all apart and started shopping for a frame. I bought a set of new t-pieces and restored another SIIa bulkhead I had available with new footwells. I nice guy named Geno in California had an arrow designa galvanized 109/100 hybird chassis for sale on LRX.com (this was about 2002) so I bought it and had it shipped. It is a coil sprung chassis that was set up for a 300Tdi/R380/LT230 and a 110 front end, but had the 109 style rear crossmember and fuel tank mount. I found someone parting out an 87 Range Rover and bought the axles complete and steering and suspension. I then located a salisbury axle for the rear and found proper 110 springs. I then started shopping for a drivetrain. When JimC went Tdi, I bought the drivetrain out of his 1995 D90. I did all this while I was an investment banker so I was basically collecting parts as I had no time to drive to new york and work on it (other than christmas and thanksgiving). Then I went to law school and had no money. It sat at my folks place in new york waiting for inspiration/money/time. I graduated law school, but due to some personal issues, I did not work on it. I did get a great score from Mike at ECR about two years ago when he sold me a bunch of NAS 110 parts from one of the ones he rebuilt. The parts needed work, but it was complete enough for what I needed to get donor for the body which is what I was after. I still did not have a garage, so I rented space, but I could not work in it. Since I finally had some money, I had a garage built so all the pieces were finally there (except time and the 100s of little bits to complete a project of this magnitude). It was great, except it was getting cold (my garage was completed in fall of 2008). So, I resolved that come spring I would finally get working on Diamond the Dormobile 110. She got her name because the initial purchase was in lieu of an engagement ring or because she was a diamond in the rough--I am no longer married so you figure out which one it was. The only remaining big piece I needed was a defender bulkhead as the one in the donor 110 body was rotten and needed some serious repair. I found a new TD5 bulkhead in Virginia and picked it up on the way home from MAR in 2008.

[I will dig up picks of diamond, pre-disassembly from my other computer later]

Follow-up Post:

Decontruction of the NAS 110 body:

The first task this spring was to disassemble the NAS 110 body from its chassis to get it ready to go on the new frame to replace the rotton body on the 109. I sent the new bulkhead and new t-pieces (which were from 2001!) with JimC to be galvanized.

I pulled the doors off. The front four are in good shape with minimal rust and appear to have been replaced (see pic below). The fifth door is rusty, still salvageable, but I have a new one so no worries. I pulled the interior out (easier said than done), removed the seat box (I had done this earlier as I had sold the LT230 and LT77 off). I also had the broken windscreen replaced with a non-heated one. I took the roof off using two ropes to support it. I then removed the t-pieces and then removed the tub (all this was time consuming because of the corrosion on all the bolts). Then I took off the rad panel and fenders. Just this past weekend I removed the bulkhead by disconnecting the wiring from the motor (see pics below). So the body is now free and scattered about the house and garage (see pics below--yes, I live alone, well alone with puppy, see pic below). All that is left is the chassis. This weekend I am getting my galvanized parts back from JimC. The following weekend, I am hoping to make the run to New York to get the rolling chassis and roof so I can finally begin to put it all together (I will try to take pics).

Follow-up Post:

I realize this is possibly the worst set of photos anyone has uploaded to this website, but bear with me as I am a luddite.

Follow-up Post:

Project Plans:

Body:
NAS 110 body with new t-pieces, new TD5 bulkhead and new cappings all galvanized. Dormobile roof refitted to 110 roof. New canvas and bulks fabric in roof.

Interior:
Stock front defender seats and middle row seats with an eventual retrofit of the original doromatic seats when I rub enough C-notes together to have Chris at badger redo them. Stove unit from dormobile and wardrobe from dormobile in the back.

Chassis:

Designa with V8 motor mounts welded on.

Drivetrain:

1995 D90 with 4.6 short block and rebuilt GEMS heads installed.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	rover parts room 1.jpg
Views:	271
Size:	42.9 KB
ID:	18479   Click image for larger version

Name:	bulkhead removed 2.jpg
Views:	260
Size:	60.8 KB
ID:	18480  

Name:	rover parts room 2.jpg
Views:	238
Size:	43.5 KB
ID:	18481   Click image for larger version

Name:	puppydriving2.jpg
Views:	305
Size:	49.2 KB
ID:	18482  

Name:	doors.jpg
Views:	246
Size:	54.4 KB
ID:	18483   Click image for larger version

Name:	chassis rear.jpg
Views:	288
Size:	50.0 KB
ID:	18484  

Name:	front of bulkhead.jpg
Views:	290
Size:	65.8 KB
ID:	18485  
Attached Images

Advertisement

Old March 30th, 2009, 01:04 AM
dave_lucas
Dave Lucas
None

Congrats for getting some pics posted Ron

You have now mastered the interweb thinga a ma jig

Looking forward to seeing more pictures as you post updates
Old March 30th, 2009, 01:28 AM
evilfij
evilfij

Thanks Dave,

Here is a picture of a mocked up interior.

Follow-up Post:

Here is the 4.6 short block. (edit: and yes that is a 300Tdi r380 I have had since 02 sitting next to it).
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	mocked up interior.jpg
Views:	463
Size:	48.4 KB
ID:	18486   Click image for larger version

Name:	4.6 mmmm.jpg
Views:	298
Size:	59.5 KB
ID:	18487  

Advertisement

Old March 30th, 2009, 10:50 AM
Retrofit
Pat
1984 110 CrewCab 200Tdi

Looking forward to seeing this one come together ! This is going to be a pretty cool combo !

Keep the pics coming as you go !

Pat

Kirk Lazarus, Tropic Thunder

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
color="Red">CanadaOverland.com
Old March 30th, 2009, 01:11 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

Hey I need one of those square knobs from your 110 controls? want to sell?
Old March 30th, 2009, 01:15 PM
evilfij
evilfij

Sorry, I need those. One is broken on mine anyways.

Ron
Old April 2nd, 2009, 07:54 PM
evilfij
evilfij

Here are some pictures of the donor NAS 110 body before I took it apart.

I am using most of the body, with the exception of that I have a better hood (off another NAS 110!) and I bought new t-pieces, bulkhead and a new rear door.

I may or may not run the NAS windscreen (I replaced the broken windscreen with a new one) as I may just run the series roof an an SIII windscreen to save having to transfer over all of the dormobile bits to the 110 roof (and having to fill the apline window holes). I also have galvanized cappings for the rear tub.

Ron
Attached Images
File Type: bmp 110 remains 1.bmp (900.1 KB, 266 views)
File Type: bmp 110 remains 2.bmp (900.1 KB, 209 views)
File Type: bmp 110 remains 3.bmp (900.1 KB, 251 views)
File Type: bmp 110 remains 4.bmp (900.1 KB, 198 views)
Old April 2nd, 2009, 07:58 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
You're not going to do anything to the roll cage holes in the side of the body other than just cover them up are you?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old April 2nd, 2009, 09:14 PM
evilfij
evilfij

I bought a station wagon front cage for the front. I am just going to cover up the holes in the rear tub by using pieces cut from a series door (to match the contour) painted alpine white.

I can't run a NAS cage with the dormobile top and a new tub or new tub sides is too much $$$ and work.

I don't think the patches look bad at all:

http://www.copleymotorcars.com/nas_d...3.1vo1475.html

If it is good enough for an $80k truck, it will be fine for my truck.
Old April 3rd, 2009, 09:29 AM
rmuller
Ryan
1966 S2a 88" | 2006 LR3

Wow... your house really is full of rover parts, I knew it!
1966 Series IIa "Olive"
2001 Discovery II
2006 LR3 HSE7

Past: 1994 Defender 90 #416, 2001 Discovery II
Old April 3rd, 2009, 12:48 PM
Stmpede
Andrew Najarian
'93 NAS D110 #43

Ron, you could have a couple bars made that bolt in place and act as tree sliders for the rear tub cage holes. I don't know if I am explaining it well, but basically a bar on each side that connects the two holes in the body and just runs parallel to the body capping. It might look kind of cool that way.
Old April 3rd, 2009, 02:41 PM
evilfij
evilfij

I thought about that, but I can't tie it into anything because the dormobile cooker and wardrobe will be in the way.

Ron
Old April 3rd, 2009, 02:48 PM
Stmpede
Andrew Najarian
'93 NAS D110 #43

Ahh, I forgot about all the other interior stuff in a Dormobile.
Old April 3rd, 2009, 10:20 PM
evilfij
evilfij

No rover work this weekend. Real work calls. Where is MY recession?
Old April 12th, 2009, 08:47 AM
TDI Guy
Randy
2015 LR4
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
I showed my wife the pix of the rover parts in the house.. She now does not think I am the only one with a problem... She did say not to ever bring stuff into the house or I will be sleeping in the Garage.. lol

Looks good Ron. It always looks so overwelming at first with parts all over..
Old April 12th, 2009, 04:53 PM
evilfij
evilfij

Randy, you should see the rest of the house! I even have parts in the freezer (bushing so I can do the panhard).

I worked on work, work for most of this weekend. I did remove the bulkhead fully from the chassis and started pulling the rest of the crap off of the chassis (anyone want a 110 chassis with a bad crossmember and a mouse nest inside of it?). Man, there are a TON of wires on that bulkhead and it is heavy. Next weekend I am headed to NY to pick up the motor for the lotus and the galvanized stuff from JimC. I figure the lotus will kill a couple weekends, but before I tackle it I need to put the cappings, cage and top back on chiquita so she can sit outside while the lotus takes her spot. I need to buy or borrow an engine hoist. Probably end up buying one.

In other news, I am in serious lotus withdrawl. I caught myself driving way to fast and attempting to drift the RRC around a turn coming home from work on friday. There is an 07 exige S in buffalo (where I am from originally) for 38k on ebay. I am so tempted to buy a second lotus.

Ron
Old April 12th, 2009, 10:35 PM
evilfij
evilfij

Here is the old chassis that is going bye bye.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	frame 1.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	52.7 KB
ID:	18757   Click image for larger version

Name:	frame 2.jpg
Views:	186
Size:	54.3 KB
ID:	18758  

Name:	frame 4.jpg
Views:	188
Size:	55.4 KB
ID:	18759   Click image for larger version

Name:	frame 5.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	68.2 KB
ID:	18760  

Name:	frame 6.jpg
Views:	199
Size:	54.4 KB
ID:	18761   Click image for larger version

Name:	engine 1.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	59.3 KB
ID:	18762  

Name:	ha ha!.jpg
Views:	205
Size:	64.7 KB
ID:	18763  
Old April 12th, 2009, 10:44 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
Is that the motor out of my yellow truck?

Old April 12th, 2009, 10:46 PM
evilfij
evilfij

No, that is in the new chassis in NY. That is the motor out of the donor 110 parts.

edit: you want a spare motor?
Old April 12th, 2009, 10:50 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
No thanks, my plan is for my truck to get a 2.8 while I'm deployed. I'm thinking of just shipping it to M&D.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Build-up's, Projects & Registry Profiles > Truck Build-up's & Restores

Tags
110, diamond