Defender Doors - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Build-up's, Projects & Registry Profiles > Truck Build-up's & Restores

Old October 31st, 2012, 10:16 AM
RockShow
Ben Goodwin
1996 D1

Defender Doors

Any tips, secrets, or things to keep in mind when restoring Defender doors? Skins look good but the bottoms are destroyed. I would like to do a pro job if i can and if not looking for any recomendations for shops in or around Virginia that anybody has used to do door and bulkhead work.

I can weld and my neighbor was an industrial welder for 40+ years so if its not too complicated I would like to do it myself. It looks like there are several sources for the rubber and plastic parts so I am not too worried about that. Just anything anyone would like to share about the metal innards fabrication or anywhere that sells a kit to replace the inner frame.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 31st, 2012, 10:52 AM
grnrvrs
Paul

There are several threads that discuss how to repair door bottoms. Crefully pry the skin back and completely remove. The repair sections are available from many sources (I got mine from Rovahfarm). The metal is thin, so be carefully while welding. Galv it, then reskin.
Old October 31st, 2012, 10:57 AM
JohnsD90
John
74 SIII 88", 88 110, 91 110

Registry
I'm gonna redo my set of Defender doors next weekend hopefully, there's a few sites with Diy's on it. I'll let you know how it goes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 31st, 2012, 12:28 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Soft top doors or station wagon doors?
Old October 31st, 2012, 02:52 PM
RockShow
Ben Goodwin
1996 D1

I spent about an hour looking thru a bunch of threads in this section last night and everyone mentioned fixing the doors but i didnt find any real detailed description of the process. I havent put in a lot of time learning the finer points of searching the forum though either.

I called every parts supplier I could think of today. DAP, RDS, Rovers North, Atlantic British, British Pacific, Lucky 8, etc. No luck on any time of internal frame or a repair kit. The guy at DAP told me they used to sell a repair kit but it was just a piece of rectangular channel.

The doors in question are station wagon doors. Like I said before I would like to do the repairs myself but I figured i would ask if anyone had had them done at a body shop or fab shop so that I could budget for the worst.
Old October 31st, 2012, 02:59 PM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Did you look through my Project Frank thread? I repaired both my doors using channel I bent up myself. Several places sell the channel and it's just a matter of cutting out the old and replacing with new. Although, if you pay a shop to do it, the cost might approach the cost of new door frames.

I will say that repairing the doors was the shittiest project I have had to do so far on my truck.

Post up some pics of yours.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Semper Fi!
Old October 31st, 2012, 03:01 PM
Mybluett
Defenders Northwest
110SW
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockShow View Post
I spent about an hour looking thru a bunch of threads in this section last night and everyone mentioned fixing the doors but i didnt find any real detailed description of the process. I havent put in a lot of time learning the finer points of searching the forum though either.

I called every parts supplier I could think of today. DAP, RDS, Rovers North, Atlantic British, British Pacific, Lucky 8, etc. No luck on any time of internal frame or a repair kit. The guy at DAP told me they used to sell a repair kit but it was just a piece of rectangular channel.

The doors in question are station wagon doors. Like I said before I would like to do the repairs myself but I figured i would ask if anyone had had them done at a body shop or fab shop so that I could budget for the worst.
We have YRM door repair channel in stock.

Really nice tutorial here
Old October 31st, 2012, 03:04 PM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Found my repair here: http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...oor#post236850

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Semper Fi!
Old October 31st, 2012, 03:10 PM
MUDSUX
Forrest
Like my Tatas?

Registry
Also take a look at this and determine which type of channel you need. I bought mine from AB and did it myself. Was not that hard.

Different type

Not the best tutorial but here is my rebuild in case you haven't seen it. Start on post #291

Door chanel rebuild

"It is the soldier, who salutes the flag, who serves beneath the flag, and whose coffin is draped by the flag that allows the protester to burn the flag"
Old October 31st, 2012, 06:56 PM
JohnsD90
John

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilfij View Post
Soft top doors or station wagon doors?
Mine are SW doors, im getting 2 or 3 replacement sections from AB and just welding them fucking things in and putting a coat of paint over it.
Old October 31st, 2012, 07:07 PM
grnrvrs
Paul

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnsD90 View Post
Mine are SW doors, im getting 2 or 3 replacement sections from AB and just welding them fucking things in and putting a coat of paint over it.
Two observations:

1) sounds like a recipe for GIGO. Take your time and de-skin the door, and weld it on the table avoiding warpage. Merely painting over the repair is nothing but a bandaid fix. It will rust out from the inside again. Why go to the effort of only doing it halfway?

2) I am saddened by the language that has now become so prevalent on the forum. It used to be a tech centric and socially oriented family friendly forum.
Old November 2nd, 2012, 06:17 AM
JohnsD90
John

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by grnrvrs View Post
Two observations:

1) sounds like a recipe for GIGO. Take your time and de-skin the door, and weld it on the table avoiding warpage. Merely painting over the repair is nothing but a bandaid fix. It will rust out from the inside again. Why go to the effort of only doing it halfway?

2) I am saddened by the language that has now become so prevalent on the forum. It used to be a tech centric and socially oriented family friendly forum.
I have nothing else to galvanize, so with most galvinizers having a minimum charge it is not worth it too me, Painting is not a band-aid, the original bottoms took 28 years to get to this point, I doubt I'll have an issue, I've been debating on putting the oil inside the frames for additional protection.

The wording was a little bit of a joke, but I realize no one can read it in the sarcastic manner I wrote it in so I apologize.
Old November 2nd, 2012, 07:49 AM
The Dro
Dro
1988 Ninety

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mybluett View Post
We have YRM door repair channel in stock.

Really nice tutorial here
X2.

Buster has an extensive list of repairs... and very detailed too.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Build-up's, Projects & Registry Profiles > Truck Build-up's & Restores

Tags
defender, door