Defender Build Question - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Build-up's, Projects & Registry Profiles > Truck Build-up's & Restores

Old May 31st, 2017, 08:54 AM
RTR16X
Joey Miller
None

Defender Build Question

Guys,

I am new here and thinking of purchasing a 1989 Defender pick up 2.5lt Turbo Diesel. It has 100,000 Original Miles and has original paint, numbers matching engine and tranny...completely original. I'm not trying to "flip" this for a quick profit, but do want to make sure I'm making a sound investment. I want convert it from a truck to a soft top, add AC, add rear jump seats, upgrade the little bits and pieces.

The truck is rust free and is mechanically sound from what I can tell. If I can pick this up for around 10k and put 15-20k into it, will it be worth 30-40k provided it is all done right by my Land Rover shop?

Let me know your thoughts and thank in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 31st, 2017, 09:06 AM
Orb
Ed
none

Value

I am definitely not a Defender price expert but I did spend the last 8 months researching and purchasing my 1992 200tdi 110 which arrived two weeks ago.

My thoughts, look for something a little newer with a factory installed 200tdi. The build date for these vehicle is just passing the 25 year mark and in the next year I expect there will be more of those shipping over then the alternative power plants.

In the long run, I think you'll be happier with the added power/reliability and as far as value I believe it will be stronger.

Just my $0.02...and I'm sure others will chime in with more informed answers.

Good luck!

Orb
Old May 31st, 2017, 09:24 AM
phoenix37
john
97 D90 ST / 1957 S1 109/ 1983 LS110

Registry
Probably the biggest deciding factor on the potential value when all is said and done is what side is the steering wheel on.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 31st, 2017, 09:52 AM
Factoid
Mark
Three criminals seeking revenge

Registry
This^

Also, the 19J turbo engine is not the most desirable. Sounds like a lot of work for questionable value and there are many people now importing ROW Defenders trying to make a quick buck.
1975 Porsche 911 hot rod
1964 Porsche (Beck) 904
Old May 31st, 2017, 10:07 AM
1of40
1of40
NAS 97SW & 83 One Ten Tdi

Registry
The early Rover AC systems might not be an ideal combo with an early 90/110 ST in your region of the country. Dry climates maybe but humid climates tend to challenge the old school stuff. Maybe you can find a buddy down there that has a similar set up and experience it first.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old May 31st, 2017, 10:28 AM
woldd90
Scott
1997 D90 ST #1444
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTR16X View Post
Guys,

I am new here and thinking of purchasing a 1989 Defender pick up 2.5lt Turbo Diesel. It has 100,000 Original Miles and has original paint, numbers matching engine and tranny...completely original. I'm not trying to "flip" this for a quick profit, but do want to make sure I'm making a sound investment. I want convert it from a truck to a soft top, add AC, add rear jump seats, upgrade the little bits and pieces.

The truck is rust free and is mechanically sound from what I can tell. If I can pick this up for around 10k and put 15-20k into it, will it be worth 30-40k provided it is all done right by my Land Rover shop?

Let me know your thoughts and thank in advance!
Most likely you will get all or most of your money back when you sell it, but don't go into it buying it as an investment. As newer trucks are coming in, yours will likely loose value. Right now NAS trucks are bringing ridiculous pricing.

Where are you in Atlanta?

Old June 1st, 2017, 06:32 PM
RTR16X
Joey Miller
None

Thanks guys, I have decided to buy a 91 200TDI Van. I am going to convert it to a soft top. Picking it up Saturday. Pictures to follow. Any idea's on cost of swapping RHD to LHD?
Old June 2nd, 2017, 09:42 AM
Vedrover
Alex
1988 Land Rover 110

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTR16X View Post
Thanks guys, I have decided to buy a 91 200TDI Van. I am going to convert it to a soft top. Picking it up Saturday. Pictures to follow. Any idea's on cost of swapping RHD to LHD?

New steering box c/w power steering hoses, etc. New dash. New heater box and air intake. New brake/clutch lines. Lots of other odds and sods. Depending on whether you want to do a "Bubba Style" swap or a proper one (moving the battery, moving the parking brake, making sure your engine bay looks right and not overcrowded on one side) the number of "odds and sods" increases
Plenty of information on RHD to LHD swap on this forum if you search.

The real question you should ask yourself is why would you even want to do it?
You'll get used to driving on the wrong side of the road pretty quick and a soft top (or a station wagon) offers excellent 360deg visibility even from the RH drivers seat. The big downside of the swap, IMHO is a possibility of being stuck with an easily identifiable (your VIN will state it's a RHD) "modified" vehicle for the rest of that vehicle's life, and, depending on where you move with it in the future, you may not even be able to register it and could have an issue selling it.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Build-up's, Projects & Registry Profiles > Truck Build-up's & Restores

Tags
defender