Defender 90 restorations help needed - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Build-up's, Projects & Registry Profiles > Truck Build-up's & Restores

Old September 27th, 2014, 08:54 AM
tfunk
Todd Funk
1997 Defender 90

Defender 90 restorations help needed

I'm restoring a 1997 Defender 90 Limited for a friend. Unfortunately he bought one that had a ton of unknown issues, including being in a wreck and having an old junkyard motor being installed. I have managed to fix most of the problems so far, but could use some suggestions/help with my current issue:

We are replacing the old 4.0 V8 motor with a 4.6 V8, which should have been a direct swap. However, the new engine has a different front cover then the old motor, which led to the discovery of the engine being an old junkyard transplant. When mounting the accessories (AC compressor, alternator, power steering) they all line up with the crank pulley. However, the water pump pulley is approx 2" behind the crank pulley belt location. And if I tried to mount the fan it would be exactly where the crank belt ribs are. All of these parts are from the old junkyard motor, and from research it looks like I need a new crank pulley (that doesn't have such a "bell shape") and mounting brackets for the AC/alternator and the power steering pump that move them towards the rear of the engine. Any help with which brackets and crank pulley I need would be much appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 27th, 2014, 11:01 AM
One Ten
Sam
1994 NAS SW

Pictures would help. Can't you just transplant the timing cover and ancillaries of the 4.0 in the truck onto your new 4.6 block? If the 4.0 was working then everything should just swap over
Old September 27th, 2014, 11:46 AM
tfunk
Todd Funk
1997 Defender 90

Thanks for the response!

Yeah, will try to post pics.

Part of the problem is old engine was sent back to Atlantic British for core charge purposes...other part is I didn't want to use anything from that old motor, oil pump and water pump were shot. Unfortunately I didn't realize the water pump on new engine is not as far forward from the block as it was on the old motor.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Build-up's, Projects & Registry Profiles > Truck Build-up's & Restores

Tags
90, defender, defender 90, restoration