Defender 50th LS2 / 6l80 Build - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Build-up's, Projects & Registry Profiles > Truck Build-up's & Restores

Old January 7th, 2015, 07:48 AM
phoenix37
john
97 D90 ST / 1957 S1 109/ 1983 LS110

Registry
thats awesome!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 22nd, 2015, 05:51 AM
stuee
Stuart
1975 101 FC

Hi James,

Since you've got the motor, gearbox and transfer out is it possible you could measure up the length of the combo from the front of the water pump pulley to the rear drive output flange on the transfer? I've PM'd Nick the other day for the cost of the kit to WA if he has any left.

For the wiring loom there's a guy in QLD who continually gets a good review for the wiring looms he makes up for Patrols and cruisers:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Killa...02181769825285

He's also started doing articles for Dirt Comp and 4wd Nation magazines.

Cheers,
Stu
Old January 22nd, 2015, 06:39 AM
rankar
Randy
97 SW #2236 (Maggie)

Registry
Super build. Lots of great work going on here. Subscribed!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 22nd, 2015, 06:18 AM
ranover
kyle
90 rangie classic

Hey mate, I'm doing this conversion, where did you get the 4wd extension housing for gearbox. I'm guessing you have it running by now. How did the rest of the conversion go.
Cheers kyle
Old May 22nd, 2015, 07:40 PM
UL1700
James
Defender 50th

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranover View Post
Hey mate, I'm doing this conversion, where did you get the 4wd extension housing for gearbox. I'm guessing you have it running by now. How did the rest of the conversion go.
Cheers kyle
I wish it was running, nothing to do with the conversion just a complete lack of time, it has been dormant for about 2 months but I did get around to mounting the radiator last week...

The adapter came from the states, I think off Amazon. Nick was kind enough to allow me to stockpile a load of bits at his address and then ship everything over in one hit. Some of the delivery quotes were though the roof, people just don't want to do it so you may have to use a postal forwarding service.
Old May 22nd, 2015, 10:29 PM
UL1700
James
Defender 50th

OK so a quick note of fitting a aftermarket all aluminum LS1 Holden radiator and thermo fans into the front of the defender

1 This is bloody tight and build tolerances with the Defender could prohibit the fitment make your own checks!

2 Cut out the old rad mounts and cleanup the front cross member. I cut a bit deep in places so the cuts were welded up later

WP_20150427_16_59_33_Pro by James Elphick, on Flickr

3 position radiator to gauge bottom mount position

WP_20150427_17_03_58_Pro by James Elphick, on Flickr

4 I made cardboard templates of the bottom mounts, then cut them out of 2.5mm plate and welded them in

WP_20150429_17_56_40_Pro by James Elphick, on Flickr

all painted

WP_20150429_18_02_49_Pro by James Elphick, on Flickr

5 fit the Defender trim plate to get position for top mounts

WP_20150427_17_10_57_Pro by James Elphick, on Flickr

6 Modify trim panel to suite

WP_20150428_11_16_23_Pro by James Elphick, on Flickr

7 Paint top plate and refit with rubber protector / packer in the mount

WP_20150516_10_18_21_Pro by James Elphick, on Flickr

8 Fit thermo fans on radiator mounts (Note these fans are cheep crap and will be replaced with something better)

WP_20150516_10_17_50_Pro by James Elphick, on Flickr

I hope it helps

James
Old May 24th, 2015, 07:24 AM
djm
dwayne
1993 defender 110

Keep an eye on those welds! I put one of those same radiators into my ss Ute and it sprung a leak after a couple of weeks from a poorly overlapped weld. After I had it repaired though it never gave me any more grief apart from the poorly lined up tabs for the factory holden ss thermo fan shroud but you won't have that problem.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2320.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	81.3 KB
ID:	121513  
Old May 25th, 2015, 05:08 AM
UL1700
James
Defender 50th

Thanks for the tip, I guess you get what you pay for (although my current summit order keeps being delayed due to stock issues). It least I get on with a company who employe a bloke who loves welding the difficult stuff whether it be ali or cast iron, he loves it!
Old May 29th, 2015, 04:50 PM
nmarkiw
Nicholas Markiw
1994 NAS D90 LS 5.3L

Quote:
Originally Posted by UL1700 View Post
OK so a quick note of fitting a aftermarket all aluminum LS1 Holden radiator and thermo fans into the front of the defender

1 This is bloody tight and build tolerances with the Defender could prohibit the fitment make your own checks!

2 Cut out the old rad mounts and cleanup the front cross member. I cut a bit deep in places so the cuts were welded up later

<redacted>

3 position radiator to gauge bottom mount position

<redacted>

4 I made cardboard templates of the bottom mounts, then cut them out of 2.5mm plate and welded them in

<redacted>

all painted

<redacted>

5 fit the Defender trim plate to get position for top mounts

<redacted>

6 Modify trim panel to suite

<redacted>

7 Paint top plate and refit with rubber protector / packer in the mount

<redacted>

8 Fit thermo fans on radiator mounts (Note these fans are cheep crap and will be replaced with something better)

<redacted>

I hope it helps

James
My Defender radiator would have dropped right in. (Spal fans included)
Old May 29th, 2015, 06:59 PM
UL1700
James
Defender 50th

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmarkiw View Post
But mine was less then $170 Australian to the door a and I enjoy the challenge next you are going to tell me I could just but an exhaust lol

------ Follow up post added May 30th, 2015 09:01 AM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmarkiw View Post
But mine was less then $170 Australian to the door and I enjoy the challenge next you are going to tell me I could just but an exhaust... lol
Old July 26th, 2015, 05:39 AM
djm
dwayne
1993 defender 110

hows the conversion going? anymore progress? i just sent off my vehicle modification application form for processing so i can start on mine did they say you had to upgrade anything like the brakes? my defender has never felt all that great under brakes and has me a little concerned! hopefully will start a thread on my build soon. ive changed my ideas a little and thinking i will go a ls1 ecu/loom so as to keep it simple with a cable operated throttle body and run the 4l80e instead off of a manually controlled tcu.
Old July 29th, 2015, 05:25 PM
UL1700
James
Defender 50th

Quote:
Originally Posted by djm View Post
hows the conversion going? anymore progress?
Hi, little bits and pieces have been happening. I turned the intake around and fitted some new fuel rails but I have been waiting for my wiring harness which I finally had released from customs yesterday The end seems so close but other commitments have been taking priority and putting cars and trucks a long way down the list

Quote:
i just sent off my vehicle modification application form for processing so i can start on mine did they say you had to upgrade anything like the brakes? my defender has never felt all that great under brakes and has me a little concerned! hopefully will start a thread on my build soon. ive changed my ideas a little and thinking i will go a ls1 ecu/loom so as to keep it simple with a cable operated throttle body and run the 4l80e instead off of a manually controlled tcu.
I think it works a little differently in Vic as there is no pre-approval process that I can see, it would be nice if there was. I spoke to my engineer before I started nearly two years ago now and at the time he didn't see any problems. His main concerns were that all emissions systems were kept in place for the new engine. I tend to agree about the brakes and the 50th had about the best that were fitted to defender. There are plenty of 4 pot kits but they cost and you have to use at least 18" rims so even more engineering.

Quote:
ive changed my ideas a little and thinking i will go a ls1 ecu/loom so as to keep it simple with a cable operated throttle body and run the 4l80e instead off of a manually controlled tcu.
I don't see much advantage to using the cable peddle, hopefully I will have a cheaper peddle solution in the next few days. Looms are off the shelf for both systems making the complexities of either system about the same and both relatively plug and play. the 4l80 was also to long for me in the 50th.

I hope that's some help, any QUs just ask. I will get some pictures up soon... they have Finally put ADSL down our road so no more shitty mobile internet yep, all mod cons out here

James
Old July 31st, 2015, 04:50 AM
UL1700
James
Defender 50th

Finally, a very exciting box of very boring wires arrived today

20150730_142605 by James Elphick, on Flickr

Also a Corvette pedal for experiment and to me it looks like it will be a winner as the mount is very similar, some of the bolt hole even line up and the main shaft is metal so very easy to modify... the photo shows the Ozzy LS2 car peddle which is bloody useless for this job, the corvette peddle and the original defender peddle

20150731_122812 by James Elphick, on Flickr

20150731_122738 by James Elphick, on Flickr

I'm working this weekend but hopefully next I might actually get a chance to make some progress!
Old August 8th, 2015, 11:08 PM
UL1700
James
Defender 50th

OK so got to take a look at the defender and almost immediately hit a glitch when I found that the gearbox ecu connector is impossible to remove and replace with the transfer box mounted.
20150808_094329 by James Elphick, on Flickr
Anyway as it turns out, if you remove the ring of 6 bolts from the back of the gearbox and remove the mounts, you can rotate the transfer box enough to get the job done The saving grace is that my rubber transfer box mounts have cracked, I guess from being in slightly new positions so half the job had to be done any way.

After that the loom all went in smoothly, other then I changed the cam position sensor plug so that I didn't have to use the GM extension harness.

Next on the list was the front prop-shaft. The coating on the splines on mine had been damaged in storage (HTF the end had come off I don't know) so I decided to fit a Discovery 2 front prop as I am currently braking one with a stuffed engine. This is a bolt on part but you need to swap the output flange from the disco transfer box. Its bigger then the defender one and becomes a very close fit with the 6l80 box. You need to trim the tap on the gearbox ecu plug.

20150809_120135 by James Elphick, on Flickr

Next up is finishing off the fuel system and intake manifold. I don't have any pictures yet so I will post again later...
Old August 9th, 2015, 05:54 AM
UL1700
James
Defender 50th

OK so a quick note on turning the inlet manifold around on the LS2... its not quite as simple as it should be as the oil pressure switch is on a riser at the back of the valley cover plate. This riser needs to be cut off and approximately 15mm above the height of the plate and tapped out 3/8 BSP (IIRC). It is essential for the correct sealing that the plate is not drilled or tapped all the way through. its obvious when its off, unfortunately my photos were on a now dead phone once drilled simply fit a bung back in the hole. The pressure switch is not required for the ecu on the LS2 (apparently) but i have relocated it to the port above the oil filter anyway with an adapter I had turned up and part # 12551587.

For the fuel system I have fitted a surge tank under the drivers floor, a Bosch 044 pump near the brake servo and the regulator on the fire wall. These are feeding aftermarket fuel rails as they make the plumbing a bit simpler / neater. I'm not sure how this will work out but as i had the pump and tank I figured i would give it a try. I will probably put a braided line between the pump and regulator... (Soz about the shit pics... its dark)

20150809_182610 by James Elphick, on Flickr

20150809_183559 by James Elphick, on Flickr

Loom so far is only plugged into the engine and the ECU is trial mounted in the original ECU location. The fuses and relays will be mounted behind it

20150809_183745 by James Elphick, on Flickr

Next to puzzle out the rest of the wiring. I'm not sure yet what problems the old Land Rover immobilsor / alarm are going to chuck at me? and go shopping for a Dashboard, MAF and Lambda Sensors and the last couple of fuel parts.

20150809_183533 by James Elphick, on Flickr

Old September 9th, 2015, 06:23 AM
UL1700
James
Defender 50th

OK so I fitted a few unremarkables such as air filter, MAF and upgraded to a braided fuel with no dramas, the picture says it all really sorry its always dark and normally raining when I'm it home at the moment!

20150828_163641 by James Elphick, on Flickr

20150828_172001 by James Elphick, on Flickr

20150828_174614 by James Elphick, on Flickr

The other thing I completed was actually bolting the engine mounts down and fitting new gearbox mounting rubbers. This unfortunately showed that the alternator which originally looked a little close to the chassis rail for comfort now defiantly fowls it so I will mount the alternator as per the LHD trucks...

20150909_181135 by James Elphick, on Flickr
Old October 19th, 2015, 06:55 AM
UL1700
James
Defender 50th

OK so as usual life gets in the way of the 50th (AKA the p38 Slipped a liner but got sick of it so bought a D3) so anyway the Workshop got a clear out and the 50th got wheeled back in! This took most of the weekend but i did get a chance to finish off the ECU mount along with the associated fuse block and relays...

20151018_144149 by James Elphick, on Flickr

20151018_144201 by James Elphick, on Flickr

20151018_144517 by James Elphick, on Flickr

I have also started the EVAP system which I am using a mixture of the original defender pipe work and charcoal canister and GM Controls. I have fitted the vent a purge valves but if anyone has any tips on how to fit the tank pressure sensor into the defender rear mount plastic tank it would be great to hear?

20151018_125950 by James Elphick, on Flickr
Old October 20th, 2015, 06:55 AM
dickyjoe
Richard Lane
1958 Series 2 SWB

Build looks really interesting. Following with interest!
Old October 20th, 2015, 05:01 PM
UL1700
James
Defender 50th

Quote:
Originally Posted by dickyjoe View Post
Build looks really interesting. Following with interest!
Cool, good to see another ozzy here! As you can see, nothing happens fast but it is crawling along.
Old October 20th, 2015, 05:29 PM
dickyjoe
Richard Lane
1958 Series 2 SWB

Perfect pace for me!

I have too many projects myself and no time so this is great.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Build-up's, Projects & Registry Profiles > Truck Build-up's & Restores

Tags
defender