Defender 110 SW rebuild (jumping into the deep end) - Page 4 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Build-up's, Projects & Registry Profiles > Truck Build-up's & Restores

Old June 2nd, 2015, 04:19 PM
kilr4d
John
1999 110 TD5

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilboro View Post
Well obviously avoid the above mentioned. I'm not sure I'm aware of all the dealers, and I suppose it depends on if you're looking for parts or service.

I hear good things and have had a good experience myself with Three Brothers.

Feel free to drop me a line if you are questioning a dealer maybe I know something or I can ask around....

Will
Hi Will.

See my build thread right below this thread. I'll definitely be looking for doors and interior trim pieces...suggestions?

Thanks,

John
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 16th, 2015, 07:47 AM
Murf
Ted Murphy
2002 Disco

Wilboro I just stumbled across this thread whilst trying to get more info on Dom, he stole a truck from me also.

The fact that you don't have an ownership in hand for your truck means nothing in Ontario, you can claim title to it legally through some pretty simple paperwork. Contact me if you're interested.
Old June 16th, 2015, 08:03 AM
Wilboro
William Ficner
1997 110 csw

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murf View Post
Wilboro I just stumbled across this thread whilst trying to get more info on Dom, he stole a truck from me also.

The fact that you don't have an ownership in hand for your truck means nothing in Ontario, you can claim title to it legally through some pretty simple paperwork. Contact me if you're interested.
The problem with the truck was it had never been registered in Canada, and in fact no record of importation could be found at the time. Yes I could have imported it after the fact but I would have had to track down every previous owner until the last legitimate one could be found. With no easy to follow paper trail that was going to be very difficult.

I talked to many people in the ministry or transport and had figured out how to do it but it was so much hassle and I was missing so much of the truck , Engine Transmission, dash, rear axle doors etc etc (that had all been paid for) that I decided it wasn't worth the process.

Quite a while after I had basically written off the idea Dominic was able to obtain an ownership through some lying and wrangling at the Ministry. He didn't provide the necessary documents so I'm not sure how he convinced them. Anyway he then tried to say he would give it to me if he didn't owe me as much money (extortion).

Initially the ministry was of no help, but after contacting the minister's office and letting them know the media would be interested to find out about their incompetence and how they had essentially become complicit in a crime (him getting ownership of something he didn't own) they revoked the ownership.

I could have got it at that point and it would have been a bit easier since a record of import had been found by one of their investigators but I was breaking it for parts at that point so didn't really care to deal with the hassle.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 16th, 2015, 09:23 AM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
So what happened to Dom? Still in business I suppose?
Old June 16th, 2015, 09:34 AM
Wilboro
William Ficner
1997 110 csw

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by rijosho View Post
So what happened to Dom? Still in business I suppose?

Both Dom and the business Global British Inc/Land Rover Salvage have been convicted in the Ontario Courts.
He's on probation for two years and has been ordered not to sell any parts or vehicles during that period to consumers. He could sell his remaining stock (if he owns much) to another dealer but that's it.
He has also been ordered to make Monthly Restitution payments that would go to a number of us. These are supposed to be payed in full before the end of the two year probation otherwise he will be in breach.

I guess we'll see if any payments come this month..... Otherwise there might be some days in the clink for him.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old June 16th, 2015, 04:17 PM
Murf
Ted Murphy
2002 Disco

Quote:
The problem with the truck was it had never been registered in Canada, and in fact no record of importation could be found at the time. Yes I could have imported it after the fact but I would have had to track down every previous owner until the last legitimate one could be found. With no easy to follow paper trail that was going to be very difficult.
That's not true, all you need is a VIN number and physical possession of the truck. I've done it myself several times.
Old June 16th, 2015, 04:57 PM
Wilboro
William Ficner
1997 110 csw

Registry
Thats actually incorrect for newer vehicles. Vehicles after a certain date in the 80's you can no longer just get an affidavit. Many ministry outlets don't know the rules very well and you get away with it, but technically it's not allowed. I'm sure that's how Dom did it for a vehicle he didn't own.
If it was like you say then anyone could just go steal an unregistered vehicle and claim it's theirs.

Old June 16th, 2015, 05:00 PM
Murf
Ted Murphy
2002 Disco

Quote:
Thats actually incorrect for newer vehicles. Vehicles after a certain date in the 80's you can no longer just get an affidavit. Many ministry outlets don't know the rules very well and you get away with it, but technically it's not allowed. I'm sure that's how Dom did it for a vehicle he didn't own.
If it was like you say then anyone could just go steal an unregistered vehicle and claim it's theirs.

No, I know that part. But there's another way the MTO folks wont tell you about.
Old June 16th, 2015, 05:06 PM
Wilboro
William Ficner
1997 110 csw

Registry
Defender 110 SW rebuild (jumping into the deep end)

OK... well that may be true but I've got the paperwork from the ministries investigations and enforcement group what the rules actually are. They admitted that many staff don't understand the rules and don't always follow them. Sounds to me like there might be a way to get the paperwork but it's not in keeping with the actual requirements and I suppose could be questioned sometime down the line.

Case in point, how I got the ownership Dom improperly received revoked.

Old June 16th, 2015, 05:12 PM
Murf
Ted Murphy
2002 Disco

In Ontario you can acquire a 100% legitimate ownership to a vehicle with nothing more than legal possession of that vehicle no bill of sale no previous owners or title required.
Old June 16th, 2015, 05:13 PM
Wilboro
William Ficner
1997 110 csw

Registry
Are you sure that's true for vehicles that were never sold new in North America and not on the books anywhere?

Old June 16th, 2015, 05:14 PM
Murf
Ted Murphy
2002 Disco

Yes.
Old June 16th, 2015, 05:15 PM
Wilboro
William Ficner
1997 110 csw

Registry
Well I guess the ministry legal team gave me the incorrect paperwork on the rules....
Anyway moot point for me as the truck has been broken for parts.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Build-up's, Projects & Registry Profiles > Truck Build-up's & Restores

Tags
110, defender, defender 110, rebuild