Defender Source Forum banner

Defender 110 Rhd row restore and ls3 swap

6K views 42 replies 9 participants last post by  scooter 
#1 ·
I thought I would start this topic to hopefully help others and myself do a swap and other things. This whole things started when I bought my 1988 Defender 110 RHD with 3.5l v8. Upon first driving it I was dissatisfied with the power. I was ok with this because i got a defender! That night I parked it in the garage and the next morning the garage smelt like a lot of gasoline! Upon inspection I saw a puddle of gas on the floor. I what I thought was best and decided to take off the body and to inspect the frame and all components.... in doing so I thought it would a good time to upgrade the engine to something more with more power and parts at the local auto parts store. I hope to have it done by the end of the year. But we will see how it goes. Here are a few pics of what it was and where I am at now. I have currently pulled the whole body off expect the bulkhead. I have repaired the rear cross member, coated the frame with Por 15. I have replaced the transmission cross member replaced seals on the transfer case and the steering box, repaired and reinstalled the gas tank, repaired the top corners of the bulkhead, next up is the repair the footwells on both sides then commence putting in my ls3 5.3 that I got. If you have any questions. Let me know.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

------ Follow up post added September 20th, 2017 06:27 PM ------

Here are the rear cross member repairs.

See less See more
#3 ·
Well done, Dane! I'll be following your build, so please post lots of pictures.

#6 ·
Put the transfer case on the transmission lifted it up and dropped it in! I feel like I am moving in the right direction now! I had no problems getting it through the tunnel. Hooked up the drive shafts and mounted it up.

------ Follow up post added October 5th, 2017 11:02 PM ------

Had a question on the hi lo shifter. Do I need to get a different one? The angle is off.

#7 ·
nice job Dane and thanks for the pics. i am starting on the top corners of the bulkheads and the foot wells soon myself. i have been working on new doors and the roof the past few weeks. mine is an 86 so the doors had to go. Pictures always help so I have been taking a lot of them too.

Scott

#8 ·
Thanks Scott. Felt good to get it in. Just put in an order for the rest of the parts needed to get it started!

------ Follow up post added October 9th, 2017 12:31 PM ------

Was able to go to the local auto paint store and get some paint. Was able to get the bulkhead painted and one fender. Turned out better then expected!

#11 ·
Looking great, Dane, keep the pictures coming!

#13 ·
Got a few things done tonight. Figured out how I am going to run the transmission lines. Got the lines ran for the power steering. For any one wondering I used Russell PowerFlex line for the power steering. If all goes well I might get to do a test start this weekend! The I will need to finish the exhaust and put it all back together[emoji15] Here are some pics of the the power steering lines. And the plan for routing the transmission lines. Plan to route them on the left side sense mine is a RHD.

#16 ·
I got them from
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/rus-632620 so far so good.

------ Follow up post added October 27th, 2017 10:21 AM ------

I ended up flipping my tranny cooler so the lines came in on the right side (LHD). There were two advantages. One, the left side is very crowded with the steering box, PS pump, alternator and bracket. It was difficult to figure out a great routing solution. Two, it allowed me to pull the lines tight against the underside of the oil pan out of harms way and away from the left side exhaust pipe. You may have a similar issue with your exhaust routing on the left side.

Agreed. It would be tight to put them on the right side for me. I am still playing with how I finally will route them.

#21 ·
Dane, looks fantastic, well done!

If it will ever stop raining here, I’ll get on mine. It and my front speakers are all I have left.

#26 ·

Got almost all of the painting done! All panels were sanded down and primed with etching primer. Then painted with Fuji white paint. Just have the doors left! Getting close to getting back together and on the road! I think I should have painted first. Now that the engine is in and ready to go. I am itching so bad to take it out for a spin! Question for the crowd. What are people’s thoughts on the diamond plate on the hood and around the body? The body is in 9.5 out of ten. Not trying to cover anything up just want to add some accents. Thoughts?

#30 ·
My 1988 90 was painted about a year before I bought it in Tamar blue which is a newer color. Is already had chips in the sills and behind the rear wheels. First, I replaced the sills with rock guards, but didn’t like the look. Then I put the sills back on and installed rock guards/step bars on the sides. Much better. I then considered repainting the sills bottom of the rear wings with stone guard, but then thought I would not be able to completely match the paint on the rear without repainting the sides, so I ended up covering them both with black diamond plate. I also had print through on the hood where the original spare mounting plate and holes had been. I covered that with diamond plate, but the wings looked naked. So, that’s my sequence of how I ended up with diamond plate and frankly, I like it! Here’s a pic from this morning and yes it’s raining yet again here in south Texas.

Attachments

#32 ·
Got some electrical things fixed up. Got the front grill on and some other odds and ends after painting it. Got the under Dash cover back with foam and covering. Broke the windshield try’s not to get it out to paint the windscreen. Had an glass shop cut me a new one. Cheaper than ordering it. And they installed! Got lucky there. Also currently
modifying the seat box to fit. Had to order new floor panels.

#33 ·
I would say no to diamond plate on sills or sides of truck. Have to drill through, and it will hold moisture/dirt. And in my opinion, it looks bad. Just my 2 cents.

New wheel well arches in black would look good, and break up the white.

#36 ·
That is a good point. I may just paint the bonnet black.

------ Follow up post added November 22nd, 2017 10:32 AM ------

Looks cool. Where did you get your ls3?

I found it on car-part.com. Got the engine and transmission together. It was a full pullout with ecm, intake, and all.

#37 ·
Well it has been awhile since I have posted. I finally got all the doors painted and installed. Not to happy on the alignment. It is going to take some work to get them just right. The hinges also have a little play in them. This does not help. Other then that I am pleased with how they turned out.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.