D90 From "Scratch" - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Build-up's, Projects & Registry Profiles > Truck Build-up's & Restores

Old February 8th, 2016, 12:03 PM
Boatdreamin
Jason Grigg
2001 Range Rover

D90 From "Scratch"

Hello All,

Greetings from NC in the USA! My name is Jason and I run a rather strange combination of a business that is a diesel repair shop, as well as a paint and body shop. We did a conversion several years ago of a NAS D90 from gas to a 300TDI, and it was a nightmare to say the least. I am a huge LR nut, but my 2001 Rangie is getting some age on her, and the gas mileage is abysmal. I wanted to run by you all my plans for a D90 to see what you all thought. What I'm thinking is to purchase a new frame with the 300TDI setup, and source a 300TDI and R380 transmission from abroad. Work on rebuilding the engine (if needed) and go through the transmission and get the drive line in the frame. I'm under the impression that the axles from a Discovery I will bolt right up. From that point I can work on getting the bits and pieces together for the rolling frame, that way when I can find a good D90 and I can basically take the body apart piece by piece, refurbish, and in the end have a pretty nice truck. I am well aware of the hours this is going to take, and if I didn't have my own shop I wouldn't even attempt it. I just kind of wanted to toss it out there to see if I am thinking down the right path, or if I should go another direction. Thank you all for your help in advance!

Jason
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 8th, 2016, 12:30 PM
1of40
1of40
NAS 97SW & 83 One Ten Tdi

Registry
Jason, mechanically all that is doable and there's nothing new or different about it. Personally it should be very rewarding. Economically will be a different story so you have to decide what the objective is.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old February 8th, 2016, 12:35 PM
mmgcny
Michael
None

Go for it! Would love to see the pictures documenting the build process.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 8th, 2016, 01:00 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
Actually pretty straightforward, but I would mention that trim and other soft parts can be a huge variable depending on how nice you want the end product to be. Dashes and stuff run into big bucks fast.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old February 8th, 2016, 01:41 PM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

Does NC issue vin numbers or are you going to do a rebuild?

I don't know about the brakes, only their unreliability.
Old February 8th, 2016, 02:27 PM
Brewie212
Brian Kandefer
1957 107 wagon, 94 arles St, 101 FC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky View Post
Does NC issue vin numbers or are you going to do a rebuild?
yes, Nc will do State issued vins if parts are properly documented. IE motor/chassis and body.
Old February 9th, 2016, 10:19 AM
35xj
dave rees
63. 88"

Im doing something similar. I used a discovery 1 frame and axles, ordered a 300 etc from the UK, but I'm using a series 2 body
Old February 9th, 2016, 10:26 AM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

Sounds like the plan is coming together. I did pretty much the same thing but with alot of professional help.

The biggest issue is the dash. Still running with my temporary set up. Parts availability and their price is the issue. My advice to you would be to use a series III bulkhead which makes the dash easier than Defender while also being compatible with the Defender windshield.
Bodywork: between SafariHP, Rovertrader and Himalaya you'll probably be able to patch together what you need. You will have another big decision on the SW or HT v ST.
Old February 9th, 2016, 11:25 AM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

This is a fool's errand. Much better to start with one or two donors to build off of as finding all the little bits and pieces will drive you insane. Even putting together a roller is a challenge. If you start with a disco I as a donor and a new frame, that would be reasonably possible, but what about the fuel tank lines etc etc etc.
Old February 9th, 2016, 12:04 PM
Ren Ching
Skinny Pete
'84 90 "Yamelo"/'88 RRC "Chewbacca"

Registry
I agree with Ron. I have built Land Rovers form the ground up and done "bits" builds where parts from many became one.

I was about to do the same to create a Tdi 90 when suddenly it became 2009 and the first ones were 25 years old. So I ditched most of the parts and imported a running, driving truck for less than I had into my pile of parts. Sold it all and kept the drivetrain which I put into my 90 and didn't look back.

I have a friend who has a great quote that I am constantly reminded of. "It's a lot easier to fix the broken, than the missing."

YMMV...

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilfij View Post
This is a fool's errand. Much better to start with one or two donors to build off of as finding all the little bits and pieces will drive you insane. Even putting together a roller is a challenge. If you start with a disco I as a donor and a new frame, that would be reasonably possible, but what about the fuel tank lines etc etc etc.

Present:
1960 SII 109"- "Red Square"
1984 90 Tdi- "Yamelo"
1988 RRC- "Chewbacca"
1987 RRC- "Chewy 2"
2008 RRS SC- "The Supersofa"

Past:
1959 SII 88"- "The Little Green Beastie" last seen in NY
1972 SIII 88"- "GreenHELL" now in NC
1988 90 "Eric the Half a Bee" half a truck, sold for parts
1991 RRC- never got a name- long since recycled
Old February 9th, 2016, 12:34 PM
roverman2010
John
1985 LR 90 200Tdi

Registry
To build from Scratch your talking ECR money, the L-R 90 I am running now was a day old MOT failure due to rusted out chassis. The kid had fitted new seats, rebuilt ashcroft gearbox, and a new style diesel engine in it plus all the other little goodies fitted. Shipped it and drove for a year than fitted a new galvenized chassis. I will say the new chassis cost more than the Landy did. Before shipping costs.

Yes Old Red needs a paint job but it's 100% underneath. My budget was 10k to get it as a good runner of which I went over by 1k. Yes I have added some bits not included in the runner budget but I pled the 5th on how much. The wife is a member of this forum

But Good Luck on your quest and welcome to the Defender Source

Still looking for that place where I can carry a paddle and get asked what's that.

JnK Services
FC101 GS FFR
57 LR 88" SXF 858
85 LR90
95 D1 Tdi
05 D3 HSE
97 XK8 BRG FHC For Sale
Old February 9th, 2016, 01:03 PM
NPT90
JT
D90 óriginalé

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by roverman2010 View Post
To build from Scratch your talking ECR money, the L-R 90 I am running now was a day old MOT failure due to rusted out chassis. The kid had fitted new seats, rebuilt ashcroft gearbox, and a new style diesel engine in it plus all the other little goodies fitted. Shipped it and drove for a year than fitted a new galvenized chassis. I will say the new chassis cost more than the Landy did. Before shipping costs.

Yes Old Red needs a paint job but it's 100% underneath. My budget was 10k to get it as a good runner of which I went over by 1k. Yes I have added some bits not included in the runner budget but I pled the 5th on how much. The wife is a member of this forum

But Good Luck on your quest and welcome to the Defender Source
Agreed,

You are much better off purchasing a 'tidy' interior 90/110 and then buying the chassis and drivetrain you want and do it in one go. Having a chassis sitting while you search for parts or try and build one from scratch is going to be painful.

There are all kinds of little things you don't even think about that are NLA or impossible to come by, might as well start with something that may need a bulkhead or a frame and replace as necessary
Old February 9th, 2016, 04:11 PM
Boatdreamin
Jason Grigg
2001 Range Rover

Ok I see what you're saying. I guess I was trying to get everything ahead of time before I actually got the vehicle I was looking for. I wonder, at the least, if it would be worth finding the 300TDI and the R380 Gear box and having that gone through before I find the actual Defender? From what I have seen finding one with a 300 is pretty difficult.
Old February 11th, 2016, 04:29 PM
Boatdreamin
Jason Grigg
2001 Range Rover

Can you all recommend a place to source a 300TDI and gear box? I've been emailing back and forth with a couple of salvage yards in the UK, but nobody really wants to send me a firm quote. I would really like to deal with someone that comes with a good reputation.
Old February 11th, 2016, 05:22 PM
roverman2010
John
1985 LR 90 200Tdi

Registry
You could try Rovers North sometimes they have some stock.

As for the gearbox and transfer case you can get overhauled units from ASHCROFTS in the UK they send to the US all the time.

Still looking for that place where I can carry a paddle and get asked what's that.

JnK Services
FC101 GS FFR
57 LR 88" SXF 858
85 LR90
95 D1 Tdi
05 D3 HSE
97 XK8 BRG FHC For Sale

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Build-up's, Projects & Registry Profiles > Truck Build-up's & Restores

Tags
90, d90