Converting 95 ST to SW - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Build-up's, Projects & Registry Profiles > Truck Build-up's & Restores

Old March 6th, 2007, 05:42 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
Converting 95 ST to SW

Just adding more documentation of my recent projects figuring it will be of interest to someone at some point.

We've lived in SC and CA for several years, and the ST configuration was quite nice. Next we'll be moving to NY and I decided that it would be more convenient for the truck to be in a SW configuration for a few years. The additional security is nice as well as being more resistant to cold and ice etc (soft top windows in winter - no good). Having previously owned a fiberglass hardtop, I didnt want to bother with one of those again for this truck.

I bought all my body panels from George at RDS. He also had a POE liftgate so that I could retain the ST tailgate and not have to buy a SW rear door.

I originally thought I would make the truck "POE Style" and simply attach the roll cage side rails to the roof. The POE-specific pieces to do this prove impossible to find, and the more I thought about it, the more I wanted a functioning cage anyway. As luck would have it, CvC still had his SW cage from when he installed a full external cage on his truck, so I was able to replace my ST cage wholesale (please no offer to buy my ST parts - I'm keeping them).

For mounting the liftgate, I drilled the rear of the top to attach the series liftgate hinges and used button head hex bolts for a smoother, rivet-like appearance. I also removed the rear washer jet and plugged it using another identical bolt. Two 30-pound gas struts were required to support the lift gate (I didnt want to use the original series prop-rods) and the brackets are stainless ones which seemed the proper shape. All the gas-strut stuff was sourced from McMaster-Carr. Since I had a used, imperfect headliner, I didnt feel bad cutting it to accomodate the hinges.

Sometime in the future I think I'll get an extra set of door tops and have the frames painted yellow, so that the look can be more uniform yet still retain the sliding windows that I prefer.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2007_02160081 - resized.jpg
Views:	656
Size:	46.4 KB
ID:	8464   Click image for larger version

Name:	2007_02160082 - resized.jpg
Views:	649
Size:	46.3 KB
ID:	8465  

Name:	2007_02160083 - resized.jpg
Views:	714
Size:	57.7 KB
ID:	8466   Click image for larger version

Name:	2007_02160086 - resized.jpg
Views:	937
Size:	70.0 KB
ID:	8467  

Name:	2007_02160089 - resized.jpg
Views:	777
Size:	58.0 KB
ID:	8468   Click image for larger version

Name:	2007_02160091 - resized.jpg
Views:	717
Size:	43.1 KB
ID:	8469  

Name:	2007_02160093- resized.jpg
Views:	796
Size:	58.0 KB
ID:	8470   Click image for larger version

Name:	2007_02160094- resized.jpg
Views:	674
Size:	48.1 KB
ID:	8471  

Name:	2007_02160096- resized.jpg
Views:	852
Size:	53.4 KB
ID:	8472   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0721 - resized.jpg
Views:	749
Size:	51.5 KB
ID:	8473  

Name:	DSCF0722 - resized.jpg
Views:	942
Size:	55.0 KB
ID:	8474   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0723 - resized.jpg
Views:	983
Size:	59.3 KB
ID:	8475  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 6th, 2007, 05:50 PM
woldd90
Scott
1997 D90 ST #1444
Site Team

That is a great looking truck.

Old March 6th, 2007, 06:23 PM
DJ Menasco
DJ Menasco
#500/500

Nice work Jim & thanks for sharing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 6th, 2007, 07:07 PM
cellulararrest
Chris Snyder
1994 D90 #614 | '07 L322 SC

Looks great. Any shots of the entire truck with the hardtop?
Old March 6th, 2007, 07:21 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
Sure-
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSCF0692 - Resized.jpg
Views:	860
Size:	37.2 KB
ID:	8476   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0687 - Resized.jpg
Views:	931
Size:	39.8 KB
ID:	8477  

Name:	DSCF0688 - Resized.jpg
Views:	771
Size:	46.5 KB
ID:	8478  
Old March 6th, 2007, 07:22 PM
GaryBaxter
Gary Baxter
None

Is that the only AA Yellow SW on the planet?
Old March 6th, 2007, 08:43 PM
Stmpede
Andrew Najarian
'93 NAS D110 #43

I love it! Nicely done.
Old March 7th, 2007, 09:42 AM
dmarchand
David Marchand
'97 D90 SW Arles

Registry
That is awesome Jim. I'm digging the lift gate feature. Did you ever consider going with a drop tail gate as well?
Old March 7th, 2007, 01:37 PM
TDI Guy
Randy
2015 LR4
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Jim, when you can, could you post pics of how you did the lift gate struts? I need to do this on my series build. Looks great. Where did you get the pistons and parts?
Old March 7th, 2007, 04:19 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

There is another 90 AA SW floating around and one with a painted fibreglass top in the same color scheme.

JimC does nice work.
Old March 7th, 2007, 04:30 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
Yeah, while I was living in San Jose, an AA Yellow 97 wagon came up for sale. It was clearly factory or the result of a _complete_ color change. It had the full doors, SW door in the back, interior bulkhead yellow etc. It was claimed to be a custom order, though could have easily been produced by the dealer using a 97 ST and SW parts available when the truck was new. Either way, it exists and is complete. And then of cours there is ECR4 - its kind of stripey, even if predominantly AA.

I briefly considered a drop tailgate, but decided not to bother with it because I would have to custom rig-up the tire carrier and I think the swing out is more convenient.

I'll get some pix of the struts for you Randy. Although you're hosed on the rivnuts, I left them in SJ, sorry.
Old March 7th, 2007, 05:01 PM
Trigger
Tony Fannin
'94 D-90 #491

Glad to see that old cage we pulled out of Chris' truck put to good use. My wife's even happier that the cage is out of our backyard.
Old March 7th, 2007, 05:14 PM
woldd90
Scott
1997 D90 ST #1444
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC
Yeah, while I was living in San Jose, an AA Yellow 97 wagon came up for sale. It was clearly factory or the result of a _complete_ color change. It had the full doors, SW door in the back, interior bulkhead yellow etc. It was claimed to be a custom order, though could have easily been produced by the dealer using a 97 ST and SW parts available when the truck was new. Either way, it exists and is complete. And then of cours there is ECR4 - its kind of stripey, even if predominantly AA.

I briefly considered a drop tailgate, but decided not to bother with it because I would have to custom rig-up the tire carrier and I think the swing out is more convenient.

I'll get some pix of the struts for you Randy. Although you're hosed on the rivnuts, I left them in SJ, sorry.
That truck was on Ebay... The story was a "Doctor" wanted a custom truck, it was origninally Green. Eitherway it is a good looking truck.

Scott

Old December 17th, 2007, 10:43 PM
defender1844
Amit Likhyani
95 D90 Soft Top Estoril Blue 6.2 LS

Jim, did you install a gutter kit? How good is the window seal. I have a fiberglass hard top. Obviously I hate it and the poor seal is a big reason why. Are you able to convert it to a soft top? What is the time required to convert back and forth?
Old December 17th, 2007, 11:08 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
It takes several hours to go swith between the aluminum top and the soft top. The entire roll cage must be swapped. It takes at least a day once you start disassembling the trims, headliner, and everything.

I dont know what you mean by "install a gutter kit" - the hard top of course has a gutter. Previously, I had a Badger gutter kit with the soft top.

You'll get a good seal with the Badger, I only switched to hardtop for security and durability really.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old December 18th, 2007, 10:14 AM
Billakris
Kris
Alpine White 95 Soft Top

Is there really no way to set up an aluminum hard top like the fiberglass top?
I love the look of the aluminum and the function, but I want to keep my roll cage as is. Pardon my ignorance, but I have never looked at the fiberglass top other than in pictures and my time around a SW is limited.

My ultimate goal is to have a bare aluminum top that would function just like the fiberglass one is supposed to. Fairly easy on and off while making a good "winter" seal.

Obviously some modifications would be needed, I just dont know how much.

Thanks in advance!!
Old December 18th, 2007, 10:56 AM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
At the risk of having this brought up when I run for president in 15 years, I will state publicly that there is no way to install an aluminum hardtop over a NAS soft top cage.

The B-pillar hoop and C-pillar hoops both occupy the same physical space which the metal top occupies when installed. Below there are two pix, one of my truck with a fiberglass top installed, and the other with the aluminum top. Note that the fiberlass top actually stands out from the body instead of fitting flush. Also, look at the sides where it is relieved to allow clearance for the roll cage mounts.

To fit the aluminum top, you would have to cut out all these areas to allow the roll cage to fit, and then you'd still have interference because the padding on the cage would not allow the hardtop sides to sit flush to the tub sides.

Moreover, note how the fiberglass top is curved to match the profile of the NAS cage. The NAS cage would not permit the metal top to drop down and mount to the now very poorly installed roof sides.

When I did my conversion I even considered using a burned cage with no padding in hopes that it would fit inside the aluminum top, but I concluded it would not work. The NAS soft top B-pillar mounts onto a tube that protrudes up through the tub side by about 3 inches. The top would have to be cut (in an area where it has necessary stiffening bracketry) to accomodate this tube, and then the tube would rub the very inside of the top, not allowing the other B-pillar tube to slide over the top of it.

Furthermore, now that you have this mess kludged onto your previously nice truck, you have to make a hole in the side of the top for the horn of the B-pillar. This will need to be filled in with silly-cone or some sealant.

So after all this, you have a hacked up aluminum top which is leaking in the exact same place as a fiberglass top, and probably more because of all the modding.

There is not a best of both worlds solution. Period.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Painted Top 2.jpg
Views:	790
Size:	59.7 KB
ID:	11409   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0759 - Resized.jpg
Views:	778
Size:	95.0 KB
ID:	11410  

Old December 18th, 2007, 11:12 AM
themaxx
Ade
94 ST

Registry
Quote:
There is not a best of both worlds solution. Period.
LOL, way to ruin Christmas, I suppose there's no Santa too...JERK!

So we need someone to fab up an aluminum version of the fiberglass one...

Btw...I'll vote for ya! You can't be half as bad as what we've had so far.
Old December 18th, 2007, 11:30 AM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by themaxx
Btw...I'll vote for ya! You can't be half as bad as what we've had so far.
My last name is Cheney...

Old December 18th, 2007, 11:45 AM
themaxx
Ade
94 ST

Registry
ohhhh....riiight....hmmmmm, LOL
Quote:
My last name is Cheney...

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Build-up's, Projects & Registry Profiles > Truck Build-up's & Restores

Tags