Defender Source Forum banner

Conversion Project

Tags
conversion
162K views 780 replies 82 participants last post by  Curtisbranch 
#1 ·
Well, an epic road trip just behind me and now all the pieces are coming together for the 2A project.
Here's the plan:
200tdi power
R380 gearbox
LT230 TC
RRC LWB galvanized chassis and axles from same
Steel wheels with KM2s
OME 2 inch springs and Bilstein shocks
Wabco ABS brakes

Badger Coachworks full interior
Exmoor Trim leather seats
Full respray in Perfection polyurethane
LED bulb conversion

Galvy bulkhead, windscreen frame, t pieces, cappings, maybe wheels. Re dip the rack.
Winch and Bumper TBD.

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
Looking forward to living vicariously through you on this one Bill. This is just the configuration I'd like to put together- if only I had the skill and a wife that wouldn't kill me for adding another Rover to the stable. Subscribed!

#4 ·
I thank you for the offer. There's plenty of room at the house, which is waterfront with all amenities save for computer connectivity. I get two or three bars of 3G on my iPhone. There are 4 kayaks.
I am free the weekend after MAR onwards. Maybe Columbus Day weekend we can do the demolition on both, which will be extremely helpful. The place is about and hour and forty five minutes away near Cambridge MD on the Eastern Shore. Thanks.

------ Follow up post added September 19th, 2011 12:43 PM ------

Ah, well, she bought this truck for me as a 5th wedding anniversary present back in '95. I have to get it back on the road so she'll quit razzing me.

#9 ·
Bill I might be able to help the weekend after MAR, if we start early as it is a tad over 2 hours for me

I drove to St Michael's to pick someone's Series ( DON'T WANT TO USE NAMES *LOL* ) so I could spare some for a tear down

Lets talk as the day approaches

#11 ·
I thought exactly the same thing when I saw it. He's got the sweet tractor, that 109 and Range Rover in the yard, a bunch or kayaks and he lives on the water. It's like fantasy land for us Rover geeks!

#16 ·
If you come pull the stuff it's yours. I don't want the hassle of selling/shipping off used parts. Tailgate is OK, just needs some minor attention. I think the heated glass is not heating, otherwise very usable. Interior is typical; all the seating good except for the driver's seat bottom. carpets need cleaning. Headliner was done once but it's saggy again. Console not too good. Wood pieces generally good, save for window switch panel.
There is overnight accommodations, as I believe that the trip from Raleigh to Cambridge will take you about 8 hours each way.

#18 ·
I'll save you the trip C. This is what it looked like before I filled it with boats and tractors. Note piles of construction debris:

Attachments

#25 ·
Who needs a Rover when you have a nice tractor like that? You can cut some nice trail with that machine. Make a little test run. Very nice pieces of equipment as well as the barn/garage.

Project sounds treats. Your list is pretty much what I would do if I had a IIA and a bunch of space and time to work with. Good luck and please keep the pics coming.

#26 ·
You got it. Add the clamshell tailgate with swing out lower to the list of features.

#27 ·
So I'm looking thru the Defender parts catalog looking for the heater control valve for a 2 or 300 tdi and I see nothing. It appears that the heater always has engine coolant flowing through it regardless of where the dash control is set. I guess the controls are used to open a flap on the heater box, there by allowing warm air to be blown into the cab via the blower motor. I guess I have shin burner mentality about these things as the Series trucks had a control valve on the engine that opened and closed to control the flow of hot coolant in the heater.
Looking for a Unified Theory about heating the 109 project.

#28 ·
So I'm looking thru the Defender parts catalog looking for the heater control valve for a 2 or 300 tdi and I see nothing. It appears that the heater always has engine coolant flowing through it regardless of where the dash control is set. I guess the controls are used to open a flap on the heater box, there by allowing warm air to be blown into the cab via the blower motor. I guess I have shin burner mentality about these things as the Series trucks had a control valve on the engine that opened and closed to control the flow of hot coolant in the heater.
Looking for a Unified Theory about heating the 109 project.
yep defenders control only airflow not coolant

#29 ·
Get a kodiak or a RN mansfield heater.

#32 ·
Yup, leaning toward that solution, but I'm kinda not keen on holing the wing, especially cuz the "Diesel Powered" badge goes where the hole would be.

#33 ·
How about a Kodiak Mk I style intake on the inside of the passenger wing/radiator panel area? (see link). Better yet you could do it in the style of a later Kodiak where the intake hose runs inside the engine bay down the the radiator panel. I would bet Ike Goss of Pangolin might have parts for this. You may even be able to use the heater core/blower from a new RN Mansfield and route the hoses like you would for a Kodiak. I'm wondering if you could rotate the heater/blower 180 degrees so the intake faces toward the engine bay (instead of the passenger wing). You could then attach an elbow to the intake, attach a dryer hose to that and run down the inside of the engine bay (passenger side) to the radiator panel just under the passenger side light for fresh air. I went with the Mk I style as it's rare and was original to my Series II.

http://i831.photobucket.com/albums/zz232/jaygoss/P1010028.jpg

http://www.pangolin4x4.com/Welcome/Welcome.html

#34 ·
Yup, Ike's on my list of people to call. I will probably have to throw myself at his feet and beg for mercy.

#35 ·
Fruitful harvest at Ron's. I have a gearbox and some much needed odds and ends. Now I'm having second thoughts about the manual trans and thinking about putting in the ZF slushy.
I will certainly go forward with the R380, but in the back of my mind I will always wonder if I should'a.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.