Berkshire Land Rover - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Build-up's, Projects & Registry Profiles > Truck Build-up's & Restores

Closed Thread

Old June 9th, 2012, 11:17 PM
flinthills
Tommy
2001 Disco II

Berkshire Land Rover

New guy here. Do not know if this is the right place for this question, but does anyone have any experience with Berkshire Land Rover? Good or bad?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 10th, 2012, 12:47 AM
grnrvrs
Paul

BLR is too sketchy for my $. Talk to Pendy, he is local to you.
Old June 10th, 2012, 10:06 AM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
Search Berkshire you'll get tons of info on this forum.
Advertisement

Old June 10th, 2012, 09:23 PM
UnfrozenCaveman
Keith Armstrong
Various

Andover crikey just call Pendy.
Old June 10th, 2012, 10:15 PM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Recent:
http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...ad.php?t=36974

Pm Arjun
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

(10% discount for DSource members, use coupon code "D90")

Old June 11th, 2012, 10:23 AM
flinthills
Tommy
2001 Disco II

Thanks guys! Unfortunately, I was one of the suckers that sent a deposit, and like some of the comments that I read quoted, they are using my money to fund other projects first. It has been 45 days since I wired the funds, and no vehicle yet, until last week when I asked for my deposit to be rufunded, then they said they have all the parts and the vehicle should be here on Monday. Sounds like I need to tell them to give me my refund asap, again!
Old June 11th, 2012, 12:50 PM
Xcelsius
Matt
89 D110

I actually visited that shop right after I moved to England. I didn't work with them afterwards due to never being able to get straight answers on cost breakdowns. The way they danced around subject of how legal it is putting an old landy in and having pretty much every piece replaced with a new model's parts didn't sit well with me.
Old June 12th, 2012, 04:24 PM
broadstone
Chris
'84 CSW 90 '74 NADA III '97 CSW 110

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xcelsius View Post
I actually visited that shop right after I moved to England. I didn't work with them afterwards due to never being able to get straight answers on cost breakdowns. The way they danced around subject of how legal it is putting an old landy in and having pretty much every piece replaced with a new model's parts didn't sit well with me.
What do they care about legality because I am pretty sure everything is put into your name and they just walk away with their money. I would ask them for the right front frame horn that they would have cut off the original chassis with chassis number intact. I would also ask for a heritage trust certificate stating original factory documentation of the vehicle (build date, body style, 3 or 5 door, engine type, RHD or LHD). The reaction you get from him and his willingness to help when requesting these items will prove to him legality and authenticity is more important than just having a nice truck. I find many people on this site and ebay and such are using vin numbers off 2 or 3 door trucks and selling them as 5 door ones. If from the U.K. it will state what body style it is on the V5 and if legal will match what the truck actually is. In my opinion vin swappers are getting pretty lazy and ballsy when vin numbers have no resemblence to what the vehicle actually is. I wish you the best with the transaction.
Old June 12th, 2012, 04:51 PM
diesel_jim
Jamie Austin
1992 110 Td5 CSW & 1989 MB G-Wagen

Run away... don't touch them

@ Xcelsius...Where abouts in the UK are you?
Old June 12th, 2012, 05:32 PM
flinthills
Tommy
2001 Disco II

I just sent Kieron at Berkshire a letter that was embarassing, admitting to handling this situation the wrong way. Someone had decided to forward on links to the discussion about my transaction, and because of me over-reacting, was an embarassing feeling when Kieron sent a reply to me. I appreciate everyones help, and that is why I came on here, was for advice, but I should not have made some of the responses I did, bashing Berkshire, without seeing the work they do, I cannot say whether or not Berkishire builds an honest vehicle. So, I apologize to Berkshire Land Rover for my comments.

------ Follow up post added June 12th, 2012 04:34 PM ------

I also want to point out that the invoice was dated 45 days, but the money was actually wired 30 days ago. So the comment I made about using my money to fund other projects was out of line, and again, I apologize.
Old June 12th, 2012, 05:34 PM
rijosho
Joshua

Registry
Tell them to grow a pair and respond on here themselves, then. They've certainly had ample opportunities to set the record "straight"
Old June 12th, 2012, 05:47 PM
Gold Bug
Trace
2003 Discovery SE7 *SOLD*

I'm surprised they sell anything on eBay. The pictures posted are of 2 to 3 different trucks and the description is terrible. New clutch (if needed) rebuilt motor (if needed)...
Old June 12th, 2012, 06:30 PM
rijosho
Joshua

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by flinthills
then they said they have all the parts and the vehicle should be here on Monday.
Sweet. So you'll be posting photos of your new rig on Monday? Can't wait!
Old June 13th, 2012, 10:32 AM
texrover
Jason
71 SIIA, 03 RR, 94 D90 (PO), 83 110

Registry
For future reference, just filter for "top rated sellers" on Ebay UK when looking to import.

Or on Ebay US look at their feedback; and they don't show up as a "top rated seller" in the US:

Berkshire show "100% Positive Feedback".... But, if you look at the feedback detail as a seller you have this:

"This information will be available when this member receives at least 10 detailed seller ratings."

It's not fool-proof but gives you a general idea of the seller. I'm not advertising for anyone, but, when I customized the ebay-UK view to include "seller info", Simmonites, Nene, and Foley show for "top rated sellers" along with a few others. But no Berkshire.

To be fair: On the Ebay-UK site they do have some positive feedback as a seller; but they also don't advertise vehicles in their store, just parts.

Flinhills, congrats on the purchase and I hope it all turns out well.

I'm not trying to skewer Berkshire; they continue to list vehicles on this side of the pond so I guess they haven't done anything that would prompt eBay to de-list them.

But as a buyer my perception of them is they need to tidy things up a bit before I would consider them. But I'm also not in the market for high dollar UK Land Rovers.
1994 D90 ST (PO)
Old June 14th, 2012, 10:36 AM
flinthills
Tommy
2001 Disco II

Thanks for everyone's help and advice. It was my fault how I executed it, and made my apologie clear on this forum, and in a personal email to Kieron. I did decide to ask for a refund, NOT based on the work that they day, because I have not seen any of their work. But based on my gut telling what to do in this situation with all the information given to me.
Old June 14th, 2012, 01:07 PM
BLR90
Kieron Sumner
None

Open Letter

Having a rather healthy pair, I am quite prepared to come onto this forum, but unfortunately it has taken a few days to get cleared to post on here. In addition, I do not frequent these forums, so it was only because a few of my customers brought it to my attentiotn, that I read this thread.

First and foremost I would like to congratulate "FLINTHILLS" for his honesty and the fact that he was prepared to apologise.

The internet is a wonderful thing as it gives people the opportunity to provide their version of events, but unfortunately this is whether it is true or not. I guess everyone is entitled to their own opinion because as they say “perception is reality” and each person’s perception is their reality, but that can only be said when there is no substantiated evidence to contradict their opinion or statements. Many comments on various threads are offered by people who have no direct link or experience, it is all "here say".

So I would like to take this opportunity to set the record straight on a couple of comments in this thread.

1) Apprentice – we have only ever had one apprentice, who is still working for us and attending college to get his level 3 qualifications. I have no idea who this supposed apprentice is who has left and gone to work at Toyota

2) Mr Arjun – the order for this customer’s Defender which he acknowledges was a quality build, came through a third party – NOT DIRECT. We received a 10% deposit for the vehicle and it would have been delivered far earlier, but Mr Arjun, as he is entitled to do, changed his mind several time on key components such as the roll cage, which has a 6 week lead time and was made to order. We received full payment when the car was completed and ready to ship

3) Mr Devlin – I do not think it is appropriate to discuss this in a public forum, particularly as we are in communication directly

I am not sure what business people think we are running, but we have 23
full-time staff, 15 sub contractors and a turnover in seven figures,
so a deposit whether it is £15-20k or $10-20k is far from sufficient to run
our company. The deposits partially cover the cost of the vehicles
which are to be restored and some of the major parts, which have to be
ordered and purchased up front and as a rule are subject to a 4-6 week
delivery from the suppliers.

Now, I hope thw tone does not sound flippant, becuase although I am trying to keep things light, I do do want you to get the wrong impression. We set out to build quality vehicles and our restoration process is thorough and as far as we are aware, our customers have been delighted with the quality they received. Of course, as in any business, sometimes there are mistakes, which we will always endeavour to rectify quickly and to the customers satisfaction.

We are NOT the cheapest, but the pricing is agreed at the outset. We have used agents in the past and one in particular, saw selling our product as an opportunity to make excessive profits, which is why we no longer deal with them and mainly sell direct to the customer.

We may not be the quickest, but this is to ensure we do a thorough job and much of the time is due to delivery of key components and sometimes there are delays, which we will try and minimize. Regardless, we try to manage our customer’s expectations and keep them informed.

You will never please all the people all the time, but we certainly try to do so, and we, like many other organisations have witnessed the abuse of forums such as this which are designed to be informative – NOT a source of misinformation.

I am happy to talk to anyone to discuss any of these points.
Phone: 561 210 5747 or Kieron.sumner@berkshirelandrover.com
Old June 14th, 2012, 02:35 PM
Arjun
Arjun
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLR90 View Post
2) Mr Arjun – the order for this customer’s Defender which he acknowledges was a quality build, came through a third party – NOT DIRECT. We received a 10% deposit for the vehicle and it would have been delivered far earlier, but Mr Arjun, as he is entitled to do, changed his mind several time on key components such as the roll cage, which has a 6 week lead time and was made to order. We received full payment when the car was completed and ready to ship
Kieron, since you claim to have a healthy pair, I'm going to call BS on you.

1. While you are correct in saying that the order came via a third party - Matt Parass at Rover Defenders - you forget to mention that back then he was your sole agent in the US and Canada. You have since then opened up a US presence via ebay but don't try to make this an issue on Matt's end.

2. The contract was finalized on June 8, 2010 and a 50% deposit was made on June 14, 2010. The contract clearly stated that full payment would be on completion of the vehicle.

3. We changed the work order to switch to the CT style roll cage on August 13, 2010 and were told that there would be a 6 week delay. We did have a conversation about doing some gauge work but we decided not to.

4. You guys started work on the truck on November 19, 2010. You can blame part of the delays on the order on the lead time from SD for the roll cage, but the fact that you didn't even start working on the truck till nearly two months after the roll cage came in, while making excuses all along the way means one of two things - either you're terrible at keeping schedules or you are knowingly using customer deposits as float. Given the ever changing nature of your excuses, I'm more prone to believe the latter.

5. Work was completed in the first week of February 2011 and final payment was sent on February 14, 2011.

Now I've always maintained that you do good work, but your communications are appalling. This is something I say to anyone who asks for feedback on you guys. To be fair to you, I have never dealt with you and only dealt with Charles, so I'm not placing this at your feet personally but at that of your company. D-90 members who know me, know that I'm a fairly trusting guy who probably gave you too much rope (shame no me, I know). But the ever changing nature of excuses I got from you and the incessant delays does put a real question mark on your business even if you have the mechanical skills to do good work. So if someone asks for feedback on you, for the time being I'll say go to Foley instead.
Old June 15th, 2012, 04:25 AM
BLR90
Kieron Sumner
None

Hi Mr Arjun

Thanks for takig the time to respond. Feedback is invaluable whether it is positive or negative. I agree that communication was a major issue and I believe that trying to please all the people all the time was a a factor in our shortcomings.

Matt Parass was not our only representative and there is no way that I would put any blame at Matt's door. He was and is thoroughly professional and personally, I like dealing with him as he delivers what he promises.

OK there were delays (for which I apologise even though I was not around at the time) and these were not communicated; I could say that is because the company was too successful too quickly in securing sales. One of the actions taken to try and resolve all the communication issues, was to beef up the administration side of the business with me joining to head up sales and in particular the restoration side of the business.

We have also taken on a dedicated parts buyer, more administrative staff as well as more technicians.

Will this resolve all of the issues? Of course we hope it will, but my role is to monitor our performance and initiate changes where necessary to ensure we start to deliver on a constant basis, not just the quality of product, which you kindly endorsed, but also the quality of pre-delilvery communications and keeping to timescales. The latter is always going to be the most difficult because we rely on external suppliers, but that is also a work in progress and we have already taken major steps to secure dual sourcing where we can't produce the product locally or in-house and where possible we produce in-house (i.e. upholstery) or use local suppliers to bespoke manufacture.

Time will tell, but I am confident that we are definitely heading in the right direction.

Regards

Kieron
Old June 15th, 2012, 07:38 AM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Huh...quite the change in tune from your initial post.....where you decided to blame the entire delay on Arjun for "changing his mind several times". This was your finger pointing/excuse in your first post. NOW it's a factor of becoming "too successful too quickly", and that's why there were delays?

Great flip-flop. I have no issue with your trucks, but I have issue with you trying to pin blame on an individual - and then back peddling when you get called out on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLR90 View Post
Hi Mr Arjun

Thanks for takig the time to respond. Feedback is invaluable whether it is positive or negative. I agree that communication was a major issue and I believe that trying to please all the people all the time was a a factor in our shortcomings.

Matt Parass was not our only representative and there is no way that I would put any blame at Matt's door. He was and is thoroughly professional and personally, I like dealing with him as he delivers what he promises.

OK there were delays (for which I apologise even though I was not around at the time) and these were not communicated; I could say that is because the company was too successful too quickly in securing sales. One of the actions taken to try and resolve all the communication issues, was to beef up the administration side of the business with me joining to head up sales and in particular the restoration side of the business.

We have also taken on a dedicated parts buyer, more administrative staff as well as more technicians.

Will this resolve all of the issues? Of course we hope it will, but my role is to monitor our performance and initiate changes where necessary to ensure we start to deliver on a constant basis, not just the quality of product, which you kindly endorsed, but also the quality of pre-delilvery communications and keeping to timescales. The latter is always going to be the most difficult because we rely on external suppliers, but that is also a work in progress and we have already taken major steps to secure dual sourcing where we can't produce the product locally or in-house and where possible we produce in-house (i.e. upholstery) or use local suppliers to bespoke manufacture.

Time will tell, but I am confident that we are definitely heading in the right direction.

Regards

Kieron
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

(10% discount for DSource members, use coupon code "D90")

Old June 15th, 2012, 08:30 AM
BLR90
Kieron Sumner
None

Flip-Flop?

Jason - once again, this proves that YOUR PERCEPTION IS YOUR REALITY. No "flip-flop", no back track, just taking some of the blame. The facts are the facts that there is fault on both side and Arjun did change his mind and there were delays as a result, however I did not respond initially to have a go, just to put both sides of the story. I responded to Arjun not top back-track, but because I did not want anyone thinking that Matt Parass was in any way to blame - he was not. I responded because it is easy for visitors to this forum whether they have an ulterior motive or no motive at all to throw mud and whether justified or not, some sticks.

I sometimes think that there are a few people on these forums who are like the nerds hacking into computers systems or circulating a virus – no obvious gain, just for the hell of it.

Their interest in this is almost like an itch which can't be scratched, irrelevant but annoying. I am glad that you have no issue with our trucks, you just seem to be on some crusade as far as ethics and morals go and I thought this was a forum about Land Rovers.

To draw some sort of line under this. I accept, although I was not with the company when this kicked off, that there is blame on our side and I said in the previous response, we are taking steps to make sure things improve. As I also pointed out, there is also blame which can be attributed to other persons, if you feel that necessary.
Closed Thread

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Build-up's, Projects & Registry Profiles > Truck Build-up's & Restores