Berkshire Land Rover - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Build-up's, Projects & Registry Profiles > Truck Build-up's & Restores

Closed Thread

Old June 15th, 2012, 08:53 AM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
I seem to be on a crusade of ethics and morals? Because I brought attention to the fact that you tried to point the finger of blame to an individual and then back peddled when called on it? Are you kidding me?

Is there something wrong with having ethics and morals AND Land Rovers? Or can they not all exist simultaneously? I'm still trying to figure out how I'm on a "crusade". And how is it "once again" I've proved my perception is my reality? Have we met? Have we had dealings before? Had I posted to this thread previously against BLR? I think it's more like "once again you're directing blame to an individual" when in fact none exists.

So bizarre. Are you mad at your dad and taking it out on me?
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

(10% discount for DSource members, use coupon code "D90")

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 15th, 2012, 09:13 AM
BLR90
Kieron Sumner
None

I applaude you desire to maintain standards, what I am at a loss to understand is, not living up to your high standards, when you presume that as the supplier we must be in the wrong.

Just to reiterate, I accept that we were in the wrong, but as I said above, logic does not dictate that as the supplier we are necessarily totally to blame and with that - suitably chastised, I bid you good day and will get on with my job which is to speak with my customers.
Old June 15th, 2012, 09:48 AM
Jackie Treehorn
A
1985 (legitimately)

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLR90 View Post
To draw some sort of line under this. I accept, although I was not with the company when this kicked off, that there is blame on our side and I said in the previous response, we are taking steps to make sure things improve. As I also pointed out, there is also blame which can be attributed to other persons, if you feel that necessary.
My unsolicted $0.02 - actually as it turns out it's more like $20

I've got no skin in this game, but its nice to see a business owner/vendor admit some level of responsibility and even apologize. Nobody is perfect and business endure growing pains. Whether it is viewed as a "flip-flop" or whatever, it's good to see some level of accountability, so good for you Keiran.

It is also nice to read Arjun's reply where he gives recognition for BLR's quality of work. Clearly he's got a right to be vocal about his experience. It was his money that was at risk and when somebody "goes dark" on you when you start asking questions it usually means the worst. THe less you communicate, the worse it gets. I won't hijack this and turn this into an ECR-related thread, but Ajun's response sounds very familiar to mine to ECR, whereby it's not about crushing a business owner with baseless slander, rather he's just reporting his actual experience. I have no reason not to beleive him, just as I believe BLR's reply. I see credibility in both statements.

BLR and others take notice - you can't bury your head in the sand if you're overwhelmed. You owe your paying customers timely responses with real answers.

It's impossible to prove if a company is "floating" customers' deposits given the fungible nature of cash. However, I have felt that everyone from general contractors, builders, landscapers and car restoration shops have done this to me in the past. Let's face it there is not enough integrity in this world today. Companies fold up and die all the time with absolutely no recourse for customers who's work is in process.

That's why your integrity is one of your biggest assets in the long term. Especially when your market is overseas. Nobody trusts anybody in this world, so real people with real experiences are some of you best advertizing.

BLR/Keiren - if you're really concerned about you're reputation and integrity (as it seems like you genuinely care), then maybe a little more transparency and communication with your customers? If I were going to order a truck from you, I'd want to receive weekly updates with status photos (even a web-based shop-cam so customers can see progress in real time). Given the high dollar amount of the transcations and required deposits i may even want some type of financial statement or something to show that you're solid. Larger construction projects here in the states usually require some type of surety bond to be taken out by the builder/contractor. Maybe you should think of offering that as well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 15th, 2012, 09:51 AM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
Quote:
I responded because it is easy for visitors to this forum whether they have an ulterior motive or no motive at all to throw mud and whether justified or not, some sticks.
I haven't really seen motives displayed in this thread or others concerning BLR, other than for past customers of yours, as well as their friends, to educate potential/prospective customers of yours of the pitfalls of doing business with a foreign company that holds a substantial deposit for many months, while the communication as to where the progress of said project is constantly in limbo.

The original post of this thread was posted via a current customer of yours, and while you say your company is working hard to ramp up an administrative arm to handle your customers' concerns, we see a current customer who was still left in the dark and so concerned that he came on this forum to learn from past customers as to the general practices of your company. It wasn't until the questions he posted here were responded to, that a substantial update was provided to him.

The Internet can be a scary place to conduct business, and plenty of us have been burned in the past for projects that required substantial deposits, only to see that company go belly-up, and our funds go missing in the process.
Old June 15th, 2012, 09:53 AM
Bill Larson
Bill Larson
97 D90 SW

Well said Josh-
Old June 15th, 2012, 10:10 AM
BLR90
Kieron Sumner
None

Hi Jackie - thanks for your input and your suggestions - and everyone else who has contributed. Whether you have a vested interest or not, it certainly seems to have generated interest.

Just to let you know, that since I started we have introduced on our web site a section where all customer vehicles are given a listing and then we daily update these with photos so they can see what stage the car is.

In addition, I am available to talk to any of them (or all of them) on a daily basis and even give them my cell phone and home number so they can talk to me when it is convenient for them, taking time zones into consideration.

I have offered customers the opportunity to visit our operation in the UK when they are deliberating on whether to place their business with us, at our cost, as we appreciate how difficult it is buying remotely.

Our doors are open any time for customers to come and view the progress and talk to the technicians who are restoring their vehicle.

We are certainly trying to be totally open and informative and but of course Rome was not built in a day, just like a Defender restoration.
Old June 15th, 2012, 10:15 AM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
Quote:
I have offered customers the opportunity to visit our operation in the UK when they are deliberating on whether to place their business with us, at our cost, as we appreciate how difficult it is buying remotely.
Does this offer extend to non-customers, too?
Old June 15th, 2012, 10:18 AM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
I applaude you desire to maintain standards, what I am at a loss to understand is, not living up to your high standards, when you presume that as the supplier we must be in the wrong.

Just to reiterate, I accept that we were in the wrong, but as I said above, logic does not dictate that as the supplier we are necessarily totally to blame and with that - suitably chastised, I bid you good day and will get on with my job which is to speak with my customers.
When did I presume you were wrong? Because if you go back and read...my issue was with your finger pointing to Arjun initially as the source of the delay. Then, when called out - by him - it said it was actually a product of becoming too big too fast, rather than your original claim. THAT is my issue.

But what I do take away from this is that you're a bit of a dick.
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

Old June 15th, 2012, 11:24 AM
BLR90
Kieron Sumner
None

Jason - what an absolute charmer you are and so eloquent; I though abusive language was frowned upon in this forum? I would love to be able to have a F2F debate at some point.

Joshua - nice try. I wish I could invite you all over at our expense just to see what we do and how we do it, but I am sure the owners would want to know how I am going to finance that particular operation. Still if you are ever in the UK, please feel free to look us up.
Old June 15th, 2012, 12:05 PM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Just calling it like I see it my friend. Just calling it like I see it...but would welcome the opportunity to meet face to face. Perhaps when Foleys finishes my build I can pop over to the UK for a chat.

As far as charmer, I assure you that trying to fabricate blame onto Arjun and holding Tommy's money hostage is no way to "charm" anyone. *But, you are obviously an egotistical Neanderthal who insists on shifting blame based on convenience, lack of professional manners, and probably some deep seeded personal issues.

But instead of writing the above so you'd have an eloquent response, I chose to call you a "dick" because it's more succinct.
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

Old June 15th, 2012, 12:23 PM
BLR90
Kieron Sumner
None

Jason - glad you used spell checker to make sure you knew how to spell the words with more than one syllable. Neanderthal? Maybe, that is probably why I played all my rugby (you know the game, American Football without the padding ;-) ) at front row forward. Egotistical? hmmmmm, not really, I am actually quite a retiring guy. Lack of professional manners - definitely not - but I do fight my corner.

Sinking to school yard level of name calling really demonstrates the level of maturity and intelligence, so to close this thread, I would like to apologise to everyone else who has contributed for this puerile bickering, although I guess to some it may make entertaining reading. Have a great weekend.
Old June 15th, 2012, 12:53 PM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Lack of professional manners - definitely not - but I do fight my corner.

Cool, so just to clarify and be demonstrative of your professional manners - Tommy is getting his deposit back in full then?
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

Old June 15th, 2012, 01:20 PM
BLR90
Kieron Sumner
None

That's between Tommy and myself and we are discussing that at the moment
Old June 19th, 2012, 01:11 AM
triple9music
Chad Davis
1984 Defender 90

Registry
No need to bring American football into it, to each their own.
Old June 19th, 2012, 12:37 PM
flinthills
Tommy
2001 Disco II

I would like to let everyone know that Kieron and myself are working together to resolve this issue. This has been a good lesson for the both of us!
Old July 10th, 2012, 10:39 PM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
What ever happened with this? Did they do the right thing or what?
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

Old September 8th, 2012, 11:13 AM
Arjun
Arjun
None

Man I should have done my research on Charles Mogford before I gave him my money:

http://articles.sun-sentinel.com/199...boating-center

Coles notes:

1. Charles is a boat dealer in Florida and takes peoples boats on trade in
2. Sells trade in and keeps money
3. Doesn't give buyers new boat for months
4. Buyers file suit
5. Charles goes to jail and is now a convicted felon

Shame on me I guess, but damn! The same MO and everything! Guess old habits die hard.

PS: And for those who think it was a big misunderstanding, he appealed and lost that too.

Karma is a bitch, right Charles?
Old August 30th, 2013, 04:21 PM
jmorgese
Jason
none

Berkshire Land Rover

Quote:
Originally Posted by flinthills View Post
New guy here. Do not know if this is the right place for this question, but does anyone have any experience with Berkshire Land Rover? Good or bad?
Ive had a horrible experience. They have had a good amount of my money for over a year, and I still dont have my truck. I have been getting the runaround from 4 different people within their organization about when my truck will get to the US. The same spiel I have been getting for 9 months. I definitely would not recommened them. In fact, I am filing a legal suit against them in the next week or so to try and get my money back.
Old August 30th, 2013, 04:36 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
I'm sorry to hear this but any truck Berkshire might "build" for you hasn't a prayers chance of getting in past US Customs. If they are telling you they have shipped a donor vehicle over and a container of parts to Orlando Florida and will build you what you originally contacted with them for I hope you see through that smoke screen.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

Old August 31st, 2013, 05:23 AM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

There is a guy in NYC who "ordered" a Land Rover who posted here recently about losing money to them.
Any search of blr or Berkshire on this forum will just result in greater angst and annoyance on your part.
http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...ad.php?t=36974

I don't know about the brakes, only their unreliability.
Closed Thread

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Build-up's, Projects & Registry Profiles > Truck Build-up's & Restores