Another "It Wasn't Supposed to be a Restoration" project - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Build-up's, Projects & Registry Profiles > Truck Build-up's & Restores

Old September 3rd, 2012, 08:37 PM
Axel
jack
1987 Defender 110 5-door

Another "It Wasn't Supposed to be a Restoration" project

The bulkhead & doors repaired, the floor has now been flattened & a sheet of new aluminium (aluminum) prepared. Beneath that sheet are new under-floor storage boxes, one beneath each seat but the driver's - too much already going on under that one.

Second shot shows the two compartments under the floor in front of the second row of seats, with the panel pulled up. Those two are just big enough for a 6-pack and will have spigots for draining melted ice.

It's a 1987 110 5-door wagon.

Galvanized sills from YRM
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2012-09-01_13-23-13_104.jpg
Views:	314
Size:	200.2 KB
ID:	57006   Click image for larger version

Name:	2012-09-01_13-40-41_12.jpg
Views:	313
Size:	69.4 KB
ID:	57007  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 3rd, 2012, 09:27 PM
chasrover
Brian
1968 109

That is very nice work. How do you access the "six pack" containers under the rear floor?

------ Follow up post added September 3rd, 2012 09:29 PM ------

I see now. Long hing. rear passengers will have to be coordinated to grab a road soda.
Old September 3rd, 2012, 09:36 PM
Bill Larson
Bill Larson
97 D90 SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axel View Post
The bulkhead & doors repaired, the floor has now been flattened & a sheet of new aluminium (aluminum) prepared. Beneath that sheet are new under-floor storage boxes, one beneath each seat but the driver's - too much already going on under that one.

Second shot shows the two compartments under the floor in front of the second row of seats, with the panel pulled up. Those two are just big enough for a 6-pack and will have spigots for draining melted ice.

It's a 1987 110 5-door wagon.

Galvanized sills from YRM
Beware the (foreign) border crossings!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 4th, 2012, 12:10 AM
Axel
jack
1987 Defender 110 5-door

below floor storage

LOL! I don't know about coordinating between back seat passengers since it will be my kids. They don't coordinate on much.
I believe it's going to be separate doors.
This is an earlier shot, before the floor was added, showing the longer compartment underneath the front passenger's seat.
None of them are very deep, due to the high ground clearance. But he's putting in a giant cubby box and lots of nets, I think
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2012-08-14_floorStorage.jpg
Views:	254
Size:	183.1 KB
ID:	57028  
Old September 4th, 2012, 12:13 AM
Axel
jack
1987 Defender 110 5-door

I should point out that what started this was getting the galvanized sills & realizing at that point that there really aren't any side-impact bars. Anything hitting the sills, which is just a c-channel, can go straight in to the inner frame. So he welded some lateral bars in (you can see them in this last photo) & thought "While we're in there..."
Old September 9th, 2012, 04:54 AM
mikeslandrover
Mike Hammond
110 200Tdi and a 2005 Scorpa SY250

Registry
What a splendid idea... Now where's the sheet ali?
Old September 9th, 2012, 09:00 AM
Axel
jack
1987 Defender 110 5-door

I'm not sure what you mean. The aluminium /aluminum sheet goes on the floor, with "flaps" cut in it for storage.

Here's a shot from yesterday, with the floor now down & the seats fitted.

We found some special automotive epoxy that is used to attach dissimilar metals. It has glass beads in it. We're going to use it between the large pieces, like roof to windshield frame (plus the standard bolts)
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20120908_1396.jpg
Views:	245
Size:	229.2 KB
ID:	57325  
Old September 9th, 2012, 01:11 PM
mikeslandrover
Mike Hammond
110 200Tdi and a 2005 Scorpa SY250

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeslandrover View Post
What a splendid idea... Now where's the sheet ali?
I mean it's a great idea that's got me reaching for the jig saw and searching through my stack of sheet ali to fabricate something similar
Old September 18th, 2012, 08:01 AM
Axel
jack
1987 Defender 110 5-door

top back on, seats installed

What you can't see: rust! Finally, it's gone. Floor is now galvanized framing with aluminum sheet, under-floor compartments. Bulkhead & C-pillar areas ground down & repaired. Seats test-fitted (they're at an angle because Noise-Killer Matting & then carpeting will be set first).
That's the Automec brake line kit hanging off the front.
Parts from Ashcroft arrived so the LT-77 is being worked on concurrently.
The big shipment from Rovers North just arrived so hopefully it will be finished quite soon, unfortunately not fast enough for Conclave.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2012-09-17_topBackOnC.jpg
Views:	202
Size:	76.2 KB
ID:	57738  
Old September 18th, 2012, 10:13 AM
Jackie Treehorn
A
1985 (legitimately)

Registry
Quote:
What you can't see: rust! Finally, it's gone. Floor is now galvanized framing with aluminum sheet, under-floor compartments. Bulkhead & C-pillar areas ground down & repaired. Seats test-fitted (they're at an angle because Noise-Killer Matting & then carpeting will be set first).
That's the Automec brake line kit hanging off the front.
Parts from Ashcroft arrived so the LT-77 is being worked on concurrently.
The big shipment from Rovers North just arrived so hopefully it will be finished quite soon, unfortunately not fast enough for Conclave.
great work. Clever storage ideas.
I don't know if you plan on ever doing a SD cage or other type of rack, but you've done a lot of work and it would be a shame to have to swap out that early ribbed roof later for a late-model flat roof because you need the clearance. Do it now IMO. Find one and take the time to re-epoxy all the seams (you're new seats and interior will thank you).
Old November 4th, 2012, 10:36 PM
Axel
jack
1987 Defender 110 5-door

Smile body on, insulation, dash...

It's coming along, despite my delay in posting (sorry).

While it was in this stage I couldn't stand it & bought some "Polyethylene microfoam core 99% pure aluminum faced" insulation (like they use on hotrods& restorations) for the bulkhead & put some on the inside of the roof, too. It does not use jute, cotton or foam & can withstand sustained high temperatures, such as inside the motor compartment.

It's cheap enough, but the special 3M Super Trim Adhesive you have to buy to use it ends up doubling the price since it's $25 per can & a can only goes through about 1/3rd of a roll (I bought two whole rolls). You only need one roll for the firewall, but I wanted some extra for the doors etc.

This stuff is supposed to "deaden sound" but I don't see how. It's about like two sheets of aluminum foil with bubble-wrap in between.

I bought Noisekiller for the sound, but once we layed it out, discovered it really had no heat protection from the motor, hence the aluminum on the bulkhead.

btw, my 2.5 diesel that I took out of this 110 is still for sale. It runs strong.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20121104_2527sm.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	102.3 KB
ID:	60278   Click image for larger version

Name:	20121104_2520sm.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	70.7 KB
ID:	60279  

Old November 4th, 2012, 11:32 PM
Mybluett
Defenders Northwest
110SW
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
btw, my 2.5 diesel that I took out of this 110 is still for sale. It runs strong.
Sending you a PM...
Old November 4th, 2012, 11:46 PM
Axel
jack
1987 Defender 110 5-door

Got it, thanks, Mybluett

By the way, that's the aftermarket AC compressor in the bottom of those photos. We're trying PVC pipe for the dash ducting...!
Old November 26th, 2012, 11:47 PM
Axel
jack
1987 Defender 110 5-door

nets on roof

more storage - nets on the roof liner. The front two are nice ones from Rovers North. The back three are cheap ($7) ones from a bike shop, used for keeping helmets on the back.

The front two "open" toward the rear since I figured it would be more likely that I would have to stop suddenly, hitting a stuck Jeep for example, thereby emptying the contents forward, than that this blistering rocket would ever take off fast enough to cause anything to spill rear-ward.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20121110_2543sm.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	155.6 KB
ID:	61635  
Old November 26th, 2012, 11:49 PM
Axel
jack
1987 Defender 110 5-door

And my original, strong, under-appreciated, simple and true, near-bullet-proof, 2.5 turbo diesel motor is still sitting there for sale....
Old November 27th, 2012, 04:07 AM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

Quote:
It's coming along, despite my delay in posting (sorry).

This stuff is supposed to "deaden sound" but I don't see how. It's about like two sheets of aluminum foil with bubble-wrap in between.
Sounds like the stuff they used to sell at Home Depot as heat insulation for ductwork.

I don't know about the brakes, only their unreliability.
Old December 14th, 2012, 09:55 PM
Axel
jack
1987 Defender 110 5-door

Rhino-lined interior - a wiring warning

We Rhino-lined the interior brown. My kids already love it. It looks & feels like a chocolate bar (not entirely accidentally).

That panel on the left covers the new battery location.

Also shown, the new wiring harness & a pic of the old one.

I'm not one to swap out wiring just for the "fun" of it, "if it ain't broke don't fix it" etc., & I have tried to keep everything I could. But once this thing was down to the frame we spent hours trying to figure out why some of the taillights worked some times & some didn't, then started tracing the wires & found at least two places where something had crushed through the loom, shorting them. It was not clear if it was the result of a previous sloppy bodywork job or just wear & tear over the years or a wreck, or what, but upon finding the second "crush" we just ripped it all out & bought a complete kit for a hot rod. You could not have seen these crush areas without removing the loom. Keep in mind, this was a nice County Edition 110 that was really in good shape "but for the typical rust issues" & all of the instruments lights worked & most everything electrical, it just had some small "issues" we thought we could fix with splicing. Ha. This is one case where I'm glad I decided to not just put up with some "issues."
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20121212_1996sm.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	74.3 KB
ID:	62749   Click image for larger version

Name:	20121212_1997sm.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	101.6 KB
ID:	62750  

Name:	2012-12-05_12-36-18_388sm.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	99.0 KB
ID:	62751  
Old December 14th, 2012, 10:44 PM
Axel
jack
1987 Defender 110 5-door

Hello Jeff

Replace it. We gave up on the patch effort at the second "crush" point on the original harness.

Jack
Old December 29th, 2012, 09:20 PM
Axel
jack
1987 Defender 110 5-door

Painted!

Er, I didn't follow the sketch on my icon, thanks to feedback from this board actually.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20121229_4040.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	71.8 KB
ID:	63542  

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Build-up's, Projects & Registry Profiles > Truck Build-up's & Restores

Tags
restoration