Andrew's Defender 90 3.0i Project - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Build-up's, Projects & Registry Profiles > Truck Build-up's & Restores

Join the Defender Source Community Today

Old July 10th, 2014, 01:33 PM
Chip
Andrew
1994 NAS Defender 90

Andrew's Defender 90 3.0i Project

Hey everyone,
This is going to be my project thread for the ongoing restoration of my 94 Defender 90.

I bought this truck 2 years ago and I've been fixing it up a little here and there since with the ultimate goal of returning it to it's former glory, but with some improvements.

I've always been a BMW guy and this is my first Land Rover. I've always wanted a Defender though. Before I was old enough to drive I remember sitting in one and dreaming at the auto show when they were new. My dad told me, "This is a real Land Rover." One of the biggest things that drew me to BMW though was their engines. I think they are great. And since I've had the Defender I've been thinking about putting a BMW engine in it. I've done an engine conversion before so I knew mostly what it would entail. I had a 88 325is that I swapped a S54 from a E46 M3. (Build thread here: http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=237727) The S54 is my favourite BMW engine, but as a motorsport engine I felt it wouldn't be appropriate for a 4x4 vehicle, so I decided that a 3.0L M54 should go in the Defender. A good friend of mine has had a couple vehicles with that engine, including his Z4 and it's a pleasure to drive. It feels very refined. So I bought a low mileage M54 from LKQ that came out of a 2006 X3.

Luckily most of the major parts to do this swap are available since Land Rover built the M52 powered Defender 2.8i in South Africa and the M51 diesel powered P38 Range Rover. I found the bell housing I need on eBay UK from a seller who was a pleasure to deal with. They also included the pinion shaft.

I bought a new Valeo clutch kit and LuK dual mass flywheel from carparts4less.co.uk.

Because my truck is left-hand drive the location of the steering box will be in the way of the M54 power steering pump, so I bought an electric version from a Mercedes A-Class.

After I fit the new engine I'll see if the steering box is in the way of the alternator as well. If it is I'll have to move it up a bit or relocate it to the other side of the engine.

Since the M54 is drive-by-wire I got a new electronic accelerator pedal from the BMW dealer. I looked into using the TD5 gas pedal but the number of pins on the connector are different and from looking over the wiring diagrams I couldn't tell if the wiring would be compatible. We'll just need to make a bracket for the BMW pedal.

To fit the new clutch I got special tool LRT 12-123.

This week I started the work and yesterday I got the old engine out.

Right now I'm waiting for my tuner to finish flashing my ECU and for some Defender 2.8i engine mounts coming from South Africa. In the meantime I'll put a rear sump oil pan on the engine and get the new pinion shaft installed in the R380.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 10th, 2014, 01:53 PM
down_shift
Russell
94' D90 ST & 06' LR3

Registry
Check out the ingenuity from the hipster in the Hollister. Only joking.
Impressive direction and collection of the factory and custom bits to pull this off. Nice work!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 10th, 2014, 02:00 PM
don
Don Bunnell
'86 110 3dr ST

Registry
Very cool! I agree with down-shift - awesome how you are using so any LR parts. Very interested in how this works out.
Old July 10th, 2014, 02:02 PM
Chip
Andrew
1994 NAS Defender 90

Unfortunately the Hollister shirt is no more. The back ripped out when I was pulling on the engine hoist. I felt like the incredible hulk. lol
Old July 10th, 2014, 02:05 PM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
Sweet build and ever sweeter jorts!
Old July 10th, 2014, 02:06 PM
MUDSUX
Forrest
Like my Tatas?

Registry
And he didn't even take off the brushguard folks! Bravo!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"It is the soldier, who salutes the flag, who serves beneath the flag, and whose coffin is draped by the flag that allows the protester to burn the flag"
Old July 10th, 2014, 02:08 PM
down_shift
Russell
94' D90 ST & 06' LR3

Registry
Time to post this before Lav or others do. LOL
http://youtu.be/Hrm-rPSCIBw
Old July 10th, 2014, 02:32 PM
tjfslaughter
thomas
Burbon

Quote:
Originally Posted by down_shift View Post
Time to post this before Lav or others do. LOL
http://youtu.be/Hrm-rPSCIBw

HA! Should be a nice build!
Old July 10th, 2014, 02:38 PM
javelinadave
Dave
1989 110SW 1 of 2,000,000

Very cool and inspiring project. Pending your outcome this may be my next project into a 110 or a 130 (Relax Bill & Jeff).
Old July 10th, 2014, 02:54 PM
Nomar
Jeff B
RR HNTR,RR LWB Tdi

Registry
How do you stay so well-coiffed during a motor pull?

I cant do a thing with my hair...

Nice Bimmer.

Real Rovers have round headlights!
Rent my
!
Just a few miles from 4x4 access!
Old July 10th, 2014, 02:55 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
Right on, glad to see someone doing this for LHD.

Old July 10th, 2014, 03:10 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

I would consider swapping the steering box to a P38a or scout II steering box. They mount outside the rails. Having owned a DBW 530i, the pedal mounting will be interesting to say the least with the shape of the D90 bulkhead.
Old July 10th, 2014, 03:27 PM
Bill Larson
Bill Larson
97 D90 SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by javelinadave View Post
Very cool and inspiring project. Pending your outcome this may be my next project into a 110 or a 130 (Relax Bill & Jeff).
Dave, no worries...we know your skills haven't quite reached his level...

------ Follow up post added July 10th, 2014 02:30 PM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomar View Post

Nice Bimmer.

I'm glad to see someone other than myself with nice hair like that! Very brave of you to do a mod of this type, wish it was on a salvage, but to each his own! will be following with interest and I like the other thread also!!
Old July 10th, 2014, 05:57 PM
Chip
Andrew
1994 NAS Defender 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomar View Post

Nice Bimmer.

I'm not sure. I've just been trying to keep it out of my face.
Old July 10th, 2014, 08:51 PM
Jackie Treehorn
A
1985 (legitimately)

Registry
Andrew, take the ribbing from these guys with a grain of salt and know that it would be a lot worse if they didn't respect you just a little but for doing your own wrenching.

You may as well replace the top end gaskets and PCV breather kit on that M54 while you're in there! Otherwise it's a solid lump for sure. I wanted to transplant an M54 into my '73 E9 but it would have been so costly that I might as well went with a full on S38 swap. It's nice that you were able to locate the bellhousing etc. that makes a huge difference when you don't have to have stuff fabricated.
Good luck with the rest of the build
Old July 10th, 2014, 09:18 PM
NPT90
JT
D90 óriginalé

Registry
This is friggin awesome; interested to see this build, the 3.0 would have a nice bit of power in a 90
Old July 10th, 2014, 10:21 PM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

Great to see this actually happening. Good luck!
Old July 10th, 2014, 10:58 PM
Willh
Will Hedrick
Use to own NAS #96, #1778, & #1008

Registry
Cool project. Subscribed.

Please feel free to visit my website at:

Quote:
Willh is the F'n man! Defender of the Defenders! - Overlander
Old July 11th, 2014, 12:32 AM
rivermike
Michael
2008 LHD Tdci 110 Keswick Green

Interesting, one of my mechanics is doing a similar build using a M54 older version, but then the M version. Probably will be the only M powered Defender.

EMAIlL :

Current Inventory is listed in my STOCKLIST section

Worldwide shipping is our specialty
Old July 11th, 2014, 01:21 PM
Chip
Andrew
1994 NAS Defender 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackie Treehorn View Post
Andrew, take the ribbing from these guys with a grain of salt and know that it would be a lot worse if they didn't respect you just a little but for doing your own wrenching.

You may as well replace the top end gaskets and PCV breather kit on that M54 while you're in there! Otherwise it's a solid lump for sure. I wanted to transplant an M54 into my '73 E9 but it would have been so costly that I might as well went with a full on S38 swap. It's nice that you were able to locate the bellhousing etc. that makes a huge difference when you don't have to have stuff fabricated.
Good luck with the rest of the build
Okay.
That stuff won't be too hard to get to later on so I'll just leave it for now since the engine has low miles. We just replaced an engine in a E46 328i because it failed due to a bad CCV, so I know about the problem. I guess it kinda turned the oil into mayonnaise during a cold snap this past winter and injected it into the cylinders and exhaust. After I get the engine started I'll put a balloon over the dipstick tube and see if it inflates. So did you put the S38 in your E9?

------ Follow up post added July 11th, 2014 10:26 AM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by rivermike View Post
Interesting, one of my mechanics is doing a similar build using a M54 older version, but then the M version. Probably will be the only M powered Defender.
That's very cool. Will he be using it for racing? A guy in South Africa built one with a M engine. I guess the M engine's bearings didn't take too kindly to the off-road treatment though and he tore up some R380's. See my post about it here: http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...3&postcount=34
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Build-up's, Projects & Registry Profiles > Truck Build-up's & Restores

Tags
90, defender, defender 90