Andrew's Defender 90 3.0i Project - Page 34 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Build-up's, Projects & Registry Profiles > Truck Build-up's & Restores

Old October 14th, 2017, 01:17 AM
Rocky
Chris B
72 + D1 drivetrain =?

Hope they have heated lenses otherwise snow won’t melt

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 14th, 2017, 04:18 AM
Chip
Andrew Harvey
1994 NAS Defender 90

Noldens aren’t heated, but that’s not a concern for me because I plan to use the truck when the weather is nice. The X3 is the winter vehicle. It has headlight washers. I think only Truck-Lite makes heated 7” round LEDs.
Old November 25th, 2017, 06:43 PM
Chip
Andrew Harvey
1994 NAS Defender 90

I was previously trying to decide whether to install a rear fog light in place of a reverse light, but I just found these combo fog/reverse lights. Now I can have a rear fog and reverse light on both sides. Isn't that neat? All Defenders from MY99 up have the wiring on both sides for fogs and reverse (so the chassis harness can be used for either LHD or RHD), so anyone with one of those trucks can do this upgrade. It looks like they're made by LITE-wire, link.

I found them here. Same company on eBay here.

Here's an eBay listing from Bolt on Bits here.

For someone with an NAS with 2 lights on the right side you can have the fogs without making another hole because there's a combo tail/stop/indicator light too, link. Here's a set of 2 pairs of each here. Of course you'd need to wire them and install the switch and rear fog control unit.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 13th, 2017, 03:08 PM
Chip
Andrew Harvey
1994 NAS Defender 90

My new LED lights arrived. I got Perei indicators & tail/stop lamps and a couple of the Lite-wire combo fog/reverse lights. I looked for the Rubbolite lamps like ECR shows on their page, but they're discontinued. The new Rubbolites look like the Wipac or Britpart lamps with clear lenses which I don't care for. So I decided to go with the Perei lamps because I think they look nice (more OEM) and they are what Land Rover supplies (for the SVX.) I ordered the Perei lights from Dun-Bri Group and the Lite-wires from Car Builder Solutions. I probably should have ordered the combos from Dun-Bri as well to save on postage as I noticed they carry them from Perei also. I made a thread about ordering them in the technical section here.

ECE regulations specify different photometric requirements for the front and rear turn indicator lamps. Hella document about regulations here. The US hasn't adopted different standards for the front and rear indicators, but I thought I may as well get the specific front and rear lights. It looks like the rear lights aren't suppose to be as bright. I tested them and I can't really tell a difference in their brightness. The light dispersion pattern in the lens is different though. The front lens has little circles and the rear lens has little squares like the tail/stop lamps. The little circles disperse the light in such a way that you can't make out the individual LEDs as well which is neat.

Front indicator:

Rear indicator:

Tail/stop:

I really like the combo lights. The reverse LEDs are very bright. With 2 of them back there they should light up the area rear of the truck when backing up very well. The fog LEDs are bright as well. They give the option of also using them as a tail lamp which lights up the fog LEDs more dimly. I don't think I'll wire them to use them as tails though because I think the dedicated lamps are enough.

Old December 13th, 2017, 03:35 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

What are you using for plugs? You know muduk sells them with the plugs already installed.
Old December 13th, 2017, 03:38 PM
Chip
Andrew Harvey
1994 NAS Defender 90

The Econoseal III connectors. I linked the catalogue for the parts in the ordering thread I made. I know Mud UK sells them with the connectors but they are more than twice as expensive. The connector parts are only a few dollars.
Old December 13th, 2017, 09:11 PM
Chip
Andrew Harvey
1994 NAS Defender 90

One good thing about not being able to finish my project yet is that I have more time to get parts, especially ones that are nearly impossible to find, which if you know these trucks, is something you run into quite often. When I got the '95 Wynns A/C parts from another forum member he didn't include the mounting bracket for the evaporator. I included the one for the '94 Diavia system when I sold it, but it's different so it wouldn't have done me much good if I had kept it. Luckily, I found one. It must have came off an awfully rusty truck as it kind of looks like Swiss cheese, but I'm fixing it up. I took the wire wheel to it to knock off the loose rust and I'm going to weld a little piece in there over the bad spot.

Wynn's evap bracket:

Diavia evap bracket for comparison:

Old December 14th, 2017, 04:09 AM
Chip
Andrew Harvey
1994 NAS Defender 90

Oh, actually I’ll only use the Econoseal connectors for the stop/tail lamps and front indicators. The reverse and rear fogs have Sumitomo HW connectors since it’s the MY99 harness.
Old December 14th, 2017, 05:16 AM
KGH
Real Name
#1-'13 110SW,#2-'87 127,#3-'12 LR4

Registry
Great write up on the lights. Digging the links you are embedding throughout.

You have any idea of timeframe to get this on the road?
Old December 14th, 2017, 02:29 PM
Chip
Andrew Harvey
1994 NAS Defender 90

Hey thanks! My rough estimate is summer 2018. I want to be able to give it a public appearance at the ABFM. I'll have to work extra hard this spring. I might be able to get the painting done this winter if I can rent a booth. I'll look into it.
Old December 15th, 2017, 06:52 PM
Chip
Andrew Harvey
1994 NAS Defender 90

I got the evap bracket fixed up. It's still not the most beautiful thing, but it'll work. Filled the holes with weld, sanded it down, and painted it.

Old January 5th, 2018, 04:29 PM
Chip
Andrew Harvey
1994 NAS Defender 90

I’m putting together my seats. Puma NAS car denim, heated with pneumatic lumbar support. The Puma backs are little more difficult to put together than the pre-Puma backs. The covers have securing flaps down the sides in the seat back in addition to the top center. The metal bars for securing them to are integrated into the foam rather than a separate rod on the back like on the older seat. Pushing zip ties through the foam is kind of tricky. Installing the lumbar support bladder was simple though because the holes in it line up with holes on the seat cover flaps. I used stainless bolts for securing the back frame to the sliders.

Old January 5th, 2018, 09:37 PM
Chip
Andrew Harvey
1994 NAS Defender 90

Finished both of them.

Old January 5th, 2018, 09:57 PM
RiftRover
Mike Barnett

Those look great. Is car denim actually black? I guess I didn’t realize it was that color.
Old January 5th, 2018, 10:21 PM
Chip
Andrew Harvey
1994 NAS Defender 90

Yeah, car denim has black sides and back. Twill vinyl is the same fabric, but with grey sides and back.
Old January 6th, 2018, 04:22 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
Nicely done.

You probably said this already, but what exactly was the starting point - good condition puma seats with a fabric you didn't like?
Old January 6th, 2018, 06:06 PM
Chip
Andrew Harvey
1994 NAS Defender 90

Thanks. I decided I wanted Puma seats for the adjustable headrests, but they are expensive to ship from the UK, so I bought all the individual parts to build new ones myself. Only the seat bases were assembled which I bought from Rovers North. I had to take the covers off them to install the heating elements. The covers were custom made for me in NAS car denim by Exmoor. Vinyl twill with grey sides would have been fine though.
Old January 7th, 2018, 09:26 AM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
Aah. that explains the remarkably good looking frames!
Old January 7th, 2018, 09:32 AM
Nomar
Jeff B
RR HNTR,RR LWB Tdi

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chip View Post
I had to take the covers off them to install the heating elements. The covers were custom made for me in NAS car denim by Exmoor. Vinyl twill with grey sides would have been fine though.
You've done a great job on this project, Andrew.

Question: I plan on doing heated seats, too. How do you handle the removeable bottom seat? Is there a quick disconnect?

Real Rovers have round headlights!
Rent my
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
!
Just a few miles from 4x4 access!
Old January 7th, 2018, 02:13 PM
KGH
Real Name
#1-'13 110SW,#2-'87 127,#3-'12 LR4

Registry
This is part of the Puma OE setup. They work well. Remove my seat bottoms quite a bit to vacuum, storage of small items, etc.

https://www.landroverworkshop.com/co...der-2007/C1401

The aftermarket white plastic plugs I put on when I redid the 94 300Tdi seats just suck.

Part number is now LR052168. Dont know if that is both M and F sides.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Build-up's, Projects & Registry Profiles > Truck Build-up's & Restores

Tags
90, defender, defender 90