Andrew's Defender 90 3.0i Project - Page 33 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Build-up's, Projects & Registry Profiles > Truck Build-up's & Restores

Old July 17th, 2017, 11:48 PM
D90Overkill
David Frank
1995 ST #2516

Registry
Dude? You've domesticated a mountain lion kitten? Sleep with one eye open ;-)
Advertisement

Old July 18th, 2017, 02:02 PM
Chip
Andrew Harvey
1994 NAS Defender 90

Haha, I don't think Max would hurt a fly. He's a love cat.
Old July 18th, 2017, 02:47 PM
don
Don Bunnell
'86 110 3dr ST

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chip View Post
Yes, it's a significant weight difference. Each plastic inner wing weighs about 3 lbs 14 oz or 1.75 kg.
Chip - how is the structure/strength of the plastic vs the metal?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 18th, 2017, 04:19 PM
Chip
Andrew Harvey
1994 NAS Defender 90

The plastic isn't as strong as steel, but they seem pretty sturdy. Stronger than the aluminum outer wings. I haven't read anything about them breaking.
Old August 3rd, 2017, 07:50 PM
Chip
Andrew Harvey
1994 NAS Defender 90

I haven't got back to painting yet, but soon hopefully. A friend needed help driving a new Winnebago View back to Oregon from Texas and the last day of the trip I went on a run in the morning and sprained my ankle, so now I'm not very mobile. I hope that heals up fast. I really wanted to get the truck ready for the ABFM this year. One of the last parts of the project will be the wiring, so I've been trying to plan that out. I've decided to replace all the wiring in the truck with 99-01 spec. I considered installing the 02+ Td5 dash, but I decided since the truck is a soft top it would be kind of odd to have all those extra switches I don’t need like for power windows I don’t have, so I’m keeping the older dash. A 2.8i has the ECU installed behind the instrument cluster, so I plan on fitting it there in mine too. I’ll need to install some extra fuses for the engine wiring so instead of individual fuse holders I’ll integrate them into the Td5 under-seat fuse box. I think that will make a clean install. It’s the same as the under-bonnet fuse box on a Disco 1, so I got one of those at the local yard and I got a new Defender top cover for it. I bought a bulkhead harness from the UK that arrived today and it turned out to be in poor condition, so I ordered one from Germany which would be LHD so that should be better and hopefully in good shape. I ordered a new chassis harness from Land Rover for a petrol model because it was still available. That should be the correct one for a 99+ 2.8i. And new front wing harnesses because those are available too. It looks like RoW Defenders don’t have the rear side lights, so I’ll probably have to add wiring for those. I didn’t really need to replace all the wiring in the truck, but I think this makes things a little more simple for me and the 99+ wiring diagrams are really nice.

I got Waeco MSH-60 heated seat kits and they have 2 heat settings whereas the LR ones have just 1 setting, but I read on another forum that the hotter setting causes the glue to come apart in the seat so it’s better to just use the lower setting. Therefore I decided I’m going to use the Td5 switches, which are the same as a Disco 2. But then there comes the issue of where to mount them. So I decided to make a little switch plate using the dash radio housing and a single din blanking plate from BMW, like what LR did for the rear door switches on a NAS SW. Maybe I can install a switch for front fog lights on there too. The auxiliary light switch is the same size as the heated seat switches.

Old August 4th, 2017, 10:08 AM
diesel_jim
Jamie Austin
1992 110 Td5 CSW & 1989 MB G-Wagen

nice
Old August 9th, 2017, 02:57 PM
Chip
Andrew Harvey
1994 NAS Defender 90

Thanks.

It turned out I fractured the fifth metatarsal in my foot, so I have to stay off of it for 6 weeks. That’s a bummer. So I guess for now I’ll just have to be excited about some of the new parts I got.

Here is some of my brand new wiring. The chassis loom just arrived. Land Rover probably doesn’t make these anymore since the label says it was manufactured in 2000, so they just must be selling what they have left. You can identify a 99-01 loom by the green plug. There are also the new front wing looms, the 2 new Puma battery cables, and the positive and earth cables for the fuse box. The end of the fuse box earth cable has a stud and nut on the end (bottom in 1st photo). Do you know where it attaches? Land Rover calls it a floor cable. I can't seem to find that connection in the Td5 wiring diagrams. I also got new Lucas column switches.

Old August 29th, 2017, 05:37 PM
Chip
Andrew Harvey
1994 NAS Defender 90

At the doctor yesterday I found out that my fracture isnít healing very well, so Iím in a cast now. I guess thatís pretty common with a Jones fracture, so Iíll have to think about surgery. I donít really want a screw in my foot though. I guess Iím not getting the truck finished this summer. Iíve been able to do some work inside. Iíve been working on the Td5 bulkhead harness cutting out wiring I donít need like for the heated rear screen and wiper, gulf states speed warning (which isnít even in the wiring diagrams; only briefly mentioned in the electrical library manual), and Td5 ECM connector. Iíve been comparing the wiring with the diagrams in the Defender M52 ETM and they wired the MY99 2.8i pretty similar to a Td5; even the main relay is the same with the inertia switch. The M54 has a different main relay though so I canít wire it like that. Iíll wire the inertia switch in-line with the fuel pump relay activation wire like it is on the pre-MY99 2.8i. The electrical library shows that pin 14 on the main connector to the instrument cluster harness is BMW M52 specific (engine speed) and this harness has that wire. So these Td5 harnesses are wired for a tachometer even though most of them didnít come equipped with one. Another interesting thing is that the Td5 harness has a lot of BMW connectors, including the relay bases. However, the relays have terminals 30 and 86 switched as compared to a BMW relay. A couple of them I'm replacing with BMW relays like for the fuel pump and re-wiring them with new bases.

I decided to get a pair of new BMW catalysts for better longevity and emission control over the aftermarket ones. Theyíre the underfloor catalysts for the SULEV version of the M54 and theyíre pretty massive with 2 substrates each. In a paper by the manufacturer (Boysen) I read that they have a standard cell density of 400 cpsi, but they have a relatively thin wall thickness of 4.3 mil which gives them an increased surface area over the standard 6.5 mil substrates which will result in lower HC and NOx emissions.

Also, it kind of bugged me for some reason that the M52 headers I got have the wrong number of bolt holes, so I got the M54 headers with the correct number of holes.

Old August 30th, 2017, 05:20 AM
diesel_jim
Jamie Austin
1992 110 Td5 CSW & 1989 MB G-Wagen

You're correct about the Td5 tacho wiring, quite a lot did have the wire in place (but it seems also a lot didn't... luck of the draw I guess!)
Old August 31st, 2017, 05:58 PM
Chip
Andrew Harvey
1994 NAS Defender 90

That's good a tacho could be added pretty easily to most of them. Kinda goofy they all didn't come with one.

The Td5, and subsequently the Puma which uses the same front wing looms, have TE/AMP ELO type connectors for the horns (BMW part # 61130141148). The old horns could be used by cutting off the connector or wiring an adapter, but I think it's simpler to just get the correct horns. (For an adapter I think BMW motorcycle part # 83300402344 would work or Porsche # 99761294700.) It looks like the factory LR horns are FIAMM model AM80S with the added connector. Any various horns for a BMW would also work. There is a Hella kit (012010881) that comes with 2 horns for pretty cheap, but I read the quality isn’t very good. They’re probably Chinese. The FIAMM horns seem a little overpriced from LR (about $40 for a $14 horn on Amazon), so I looked around and decided to get FER brand horns that are made in Germany for about $21 each on eBay. They’re OEM for a Porsche. I found a video demoing them. I think they sound pretty good.

" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350">
Old September 8th, 2017, 04:47 PM
Chip
Andrew Harvey
1994 NAS Defender 90

The Td5 main harness I bought has some broken connectors. I guess that’s to be expected coming from an auto wrecker. I needed to order the 14-pin C0162 engine harness connector (to mate with the C0448) anyways, so I found a supplier called Eastern Beaver who sells the Sumitomo HW sealed connectors. They arrived quickly from Japan and well packaged, so I recommend them.

I needed the other main engine harness connector C0203 also and that’s a BMW supplied TE/AMP connector. The part number is 61138367075. The matching C0449 is part number 61138367076. They use 2.5mm system pins.

For reference, which would be helpful for anyone changing horns or side lights with a 99 & newer front wing harness, I found the matching connector for both the horn connector and side light connector. Here are the part numbers:
-On wiring harness (plug with female pins): 61132359999 (includes pins)
-Pins: 0.2-0.5 MM≤ SN: 61131393704. 0.75 MM≤/SN: 61138366260
-On horn or side light (cap with male pins): 61138366275.
-Pins: 0.2- 0.5MM≤ :61130005200. 0.75MM≤: 61130006666
-Sealing grommet (for either): 0.5-0.75MM≤: 61138366245. 0.13-0.35 MM≤: 61138366247

I was also able to locate the mounting bracket for the 16-pin diagnostic port that goes below the front of the cubby box. It’s part number AMR5491. I found a new one on eBay for $12 shipped. What a deal!

So that’s a good part to have for anyone doing an M52 or Td5 conversion, or for someone installing a manual gearbox into a 97 NAS. For reference, the TE/AMP part number for the Td5 & 2.8i diagnostic port is 348822-6 and the pins are 776001-1.
Old September 12th, 2017, 10:42 PM
Chip
Andrew Harvey
1994 NAS Defender 90

I had to order something for RN's Labor Day sale so I got the condenser (STC3963) for the Wynn's A/C. I think I got the last one because last time I checked they were backordered with no ETA. I'm sure it's an off-the-shelf condenser, but the brackets are NLA so I figured it would be good to have it. A got a new fan for it too. The LR part # is STC3969, but I discovered the SPAL part # is VA11-AP7/C-57S, so I ordered it direct since it was considerably less; about $50 vs. $300.

Old September 13th, 2017, 08:46 AM
winn442
Winn Bearden

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by diesel_jim View Post
You're correct about the Td5 tacho wiring, quite a lot did have the wire in place (but it seems also a lot didn't... luck of the draw I guess!)
My clock took a dump, and I've got the tacho wiring, but have you seen the going price of Td5 tachos?
Old September 13th, 2017, 10:45 AM
don
Don Bunnell
'86 110 3dr ST

Registry
I bought some connectors from Eastern Beaver a couple years ago. Great supplier. Having those connectors makes it so much nicer.

Love the updates and the very complete documentation of this build.
Old September 13th, 2017, 12:29 PM
Chip
Andrew Harvey
1994 NAS Defender 90

Hey thanks.

I’m not sure if you can find a used Td5 tach Winn since it looks like a South Africa only item. I think you’ll have to compare prices for a new one. The part number is YAE100790. It’s about $350 shipped from Brit-car.co.uk. I don’t know if you can find a better price. That’s about what my M52 tach cost.
Old September 13th, 2017, 01:44 PM
winn442
Winn Bearden

Registry
From what I remember reading, if it had ABS, it came with a tach, no ABS, it had a clock. I had a 110 several years ago with both, and the truck came from a Scandinavian country (can't remember which one).

350 is about the best I've seen so far...I'll keep staring at a dead clock at that price until a find a deal.

Thanks!
Old September 13th, 2017, 04:40 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
Chip, I've been meaning to say this for a while, but as much as I appreciate you giving me more than ample time to catchup and give me a fighting chance of finishing my project before you, it's just never going to happen. So please do get on with it.

LOL, J/K
Old September 13th, 2017, 05:02 PM
DiscoDavis
Davis
1990 110, 1995 Disco

Quote:
Originally Posted by winn442 View Post
From what I remember reading, if it had ABS, it came with a tach, no ABS, it had a clock. I had a 110 several years ago with both, and the truck came from a Scandinavian country (can't remember which one).

350 is about the best I've seen so far...I'll keep staring at a dead clock at that price until a find a deal.

Thanks!
Swap the tach for something more useful, like a voltmeter or oil pressure, trans temp idk. Your ears are the tach now (cue captain phillips meme)
Old September 15th, 2017, 03:39 PM
Chip
Andrew Harvey
1994 NAS Defender 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgalpin View Post
Chip, I've been meaning to say this for a while, but as much as I appreciate you giving me more than ample time to catchup and give me a fighting chance of finishing my project before you, it's just never going to happen. So please do get on with it.

LOL, J/K
Well I did get good news from the doc yesterday. My fracture is healing well and they took my cast off so I should be on my feet again in no time.

I decided I don't want to try fitting the Gelšndewagen headlights to the Defender, so I got a pair of Noldens. At $204 for a pair on Amazon I couldn't resist. They're the real deal. They say NCC on the side for Nolden Cars & Concepts. The chrome ones look good, but I think matte black looks even better.

Old October 13th, 2017, 07:57 PM
adclassified
Adclassified
none

great vehicles parts

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Build-up's, Projects & Registry Profiles > Truck Build-up's & Restores

Tags
90, defender, defender 90