Andrew's Defender 90 3.0i Project - Page 28 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Build-up's, Projects & Registry Profiles > Truck Build-up's & Restores

Join the Defender Source Community Today

Old May 11th, 2016, 04:18 PM
Chip
Andrew
1994 NAS Defender 90

A bunch of new parts arrived from the UK overnight today.

Since I'm installing the Puma under-seat boxes I got the protection covers for them so the poor things aren't naked.

The heater box has some rust on it and a couple screw holes from the Diavia A/C relays in the front so I got a new one.

I wasn't going to replace the right side front inner wing assembly because it's not dented, but it suffers from some galvanic corrosion where it connects to the inner fender and chassis, so I got a new one. Now I don't have to take a hole saw to it since it already has the cut out for the NAS turn signal.

I got a new left outer wing too because I don't want to guess on where the light cutout goes.

I got the Puma battery positive terminal fuse box I think will be handy for my wiring, so I can have a cable that goes to just the starter and alternator and one that goes to everything else via the BMW fuse block.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 11th, 2016, 05:23 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Vultures descend on the old heater box in 3 2 1 ....
Advertisement

Old May 17th, 2016, 02:47 PM
Chip
Andrew
1994 NAS Defender 90

A BMW with one of these engines hit half a million miles and still going strong.

The 500,000-Mile BMW E46 Party - Bimmerworld News, Projects & Tech
Old May 18th, 2016, 11:41 PM
Chip
Andrew
1994 NAS Defender 90

Today I went to put new oil in the transfer box. I took out the fill plug and then I took out the drain plug. The drain plug came out really easy. But nothing drained out. Then I noticed the plug was really short. Then I was like oh..no.. It was broken and the rest was stuck up in there. So I got out my left hand drill bits to try to get it out. I made a little punch in the center of it, but it just pushed it in. Then a bunch of water came out. :/ Good thing I haven't sold my old transfer box yet. I know that one's good. I guess I'll see how I like it with the 1.2 ratio. Maybe I can rebuild it as a 1.4 with the gears from the bad one, if they're good. I see Ashcroft sells a gear set, but they say it might need an additional gear depending on the box, so I emailed them with the serial numbers. Then I could add the ATB too. Does that make it an easier job?
Old May 19th, 2016, 08:18 PM
Chip
Andrew
1994 NAS Defender 90

I took the sump cover off the LT230 to get the piece of bolt out. It was just the magnet. The other half of the bolt was still in the hole, so I poked a flathead screwdriver into it and backed it out. The threads are still good in the upper half of the hole, but stripped in the lower half. I'm concerned about stripping them if I just put a new drain plug in there so I think I should either fix it with an insert (drain plug repair kit) or drill & tap it 14mm. I'll have to be careful since there's a gear just above it. The gears look good to me. I guess it's the bearings that could have rusted due to the water. I'm not going to say anything bad about the seller of the transfer case, but it's a shame he sold me one that's like this. Hopefully it's good still. I drained the gearbox and there was a little water in it also, but not much. Hopefully they'll work out okay until I get rebuilt ones from Ashcroft. I should have got rebuilt ones to begin with but this restoration/conversion project has already cost twice what I paid for the truck. It's a great learning experience though. Now I know don't go cheap because it'll backfire and cost more in the long run, and never buy used vehicles or parts from the east coast. My friend Curt has me repeat that last one all the time.
Old May 20th, 2016, 05:19 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
Andrew, they are easy to take apart and rebuild. I'd open her up and examine everything closely. The manual shows how to check for wear and tolerances.
Old May 20th, 2016, 05:27 PM
evilfij
evilfij

An LT230 will run without a material amount of oil for thousands of miles. I would fill it with cheap 90wt, run it for 500 miles, drain and refill and call it a day. It is probably fine.
Old May 20th, 2016, 06:47 PM
Chip
Andrew
1994 NAS Defender 90

Okay. I'll keep my fingers crossed it's good. I don't really want to tear it apart unless I have to. I'll fill it with some cheap oil and drive it awhile & drain it out before I put the good stuff in then. I fixed the drain plug hole. I already had a M14x1.5 plug tap from Snap-On and Curt had a 1/2" drill bit. I cleaned up all the bits with q-tips. Now I just need a new drain plug. This one on Amazon, Gold Plug brand, seems to have good reviews.

Old May 20th, 2016, 06:57 PM
RBBailey
RBBailey
1965 IIa

Registry
I bought a Disco once and did my part in checking the fluids..... Except for the Lt230... It had been cleaned, and looked like it had recently been opened, and had a new gasket in it, so I didn't bother.

3 months later, it started to cease up while driving. No oil in it. The previous owner had a friend who had changed the transmission filter, but didn't know what he was doing, opened the t-case by mistake, closed it back up, and never put the oil back in. Learned my lesson. And learned that the Lt230 is pretty bulletproof as well.

1965 IIa SWB
1988 Saudi 110 (soon to be 300tdi)
Old May 20th, 2016, 07:02 PM
Chip
Andrew
1994 NAS Defender 90

Oh no! Was it okay?
Old May 20th, 2016, 09:31 PM
evilfij
evilfij

Given the amount of build up in the case (normal), I can't imagine the bearings even rusted.

------ Follow up post added May 20th, 2016 09:33 PM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chip View Post
Oh no! Was it okay?
Even if it was not, it ran for three months without oil.
Old May 20th, 2016, 11:02 PM
Nomar
Jeff B
RR HNTR,RR LWB Tdi

Registry
Gold Plug magnetics are nice. I now have one for my 7.3

Andrew, your LT looks pretty good from the quick view inside.
I'd do like Ron suggested and run cheap oil in it at the beginning and then change it.

We once had a ROAV club member who drove back to Virginia from WV on a few teaspoons of oil in the LT if I remember correctly...

Real Rovers have round headlights!
Rent my
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
!
Just a few miles from 4x4 access!
Old May 28th, 2016, 03:09 PM
Vernonk01cha
Vernon
1999 LR DEFENDER 110 PU 2.8i BMW

Hi Andrew,

Very interesting build - I own a 1999 original SA build 2.8i 110 pick up very special vehicle!

Please post an update soonest!
Old May 28th, 2016, 03:56 PM
Chip
Andrew
1994 NAS Defender 90

Hey Vernon,
Welcome to the forum! If you'd like, post pictures of your truck in the registry. I'd love to see it.

I have just a few things left to do before I put the body back on the chassis. Then the next thing to do is the exhaust. Then paint for the new wings and doors. I'm trying to decide if I should galvanize the under-seat boxes and the tub & door cappings. My friend Curt thinks I should just leave them painted since things don't rust much here in the western states, but I think it would give it a cool retro look.
Old May 30th, 2016, 02:13 PM
Vernonk01cha
Vernon
1999 LR DEFENDER 110 PU 2.8i BMW

My 2.8i Defender
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20160413_160537.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	72.7 KB
ID:	150574  
Old May 30th, 2016, 02:34 PM
evilfij
evilfij

I would galvanize them. The cappings in galvy look great on red. I would also do the inner panel to the tailgate and the NAS bumper, light bar, and tire carrier.
Old May 30th, 2016, 03:23 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilfij View Post
I would galvanize them. The cappings in galvy look great on red. I would also do the inner panel to the tailgate and the NAS bumper, light bar, and tire carrier.
Not a fan of doing the bumper, tire carrier, or light bar, but I do agree the capping looks great on a red nas truck.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3662389409.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	425.0 KB
ID:	150575  
Old May 30th, 2016, 04:26 PM
Jymmiejamz
Jimmy
1995 D90 SW #365

Registry
I agree the galvanised cappings look good on red (and blue) trucks, but I think it looks kind of goofy on a NAS truck. I would galvanise then paint.
Old May 30th, 2016, 04:36 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jymmiejamz View Post
I agree the galvanised cappings look good on red (and blue) trucks, but I think it looks kind of goofy on a NAS truck. I would galvanise then paint.
I would be worried paint wasn't done correctly. If it was mine I would paint cappings and tub separate then install with exposed rivets.
Old May 30th, 2016, 04:47 PM
sonoronos
Ed
None

One thing to note as someone who has recently painted their galvanized cappings: It's not easy to paint the interior of the capping. Now I know why the factory used to paint the cappings after installation on NAS Defenders - it's virtually impossible to get an HVLP gun inside the capping in a production environment.

I needed some serious fixturing to get it in a position to HVLP the interior of the capping by hand. In production, you'd have to dip-coat the cappings to paint them inside and out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Build-up's, Projects & Registry Profiles > Truck Build-up's & Restores

Tags
90, defender, defender 90