Andrew's Defender 90 3.0i Project - Page 25 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Build-up's, Projects & Registry Profiles > Truck Build-up's & Restores

Join the Defender Source Community Today

Old January 18th, 2016, 11:41 PM
D90Overkill
David Frank
1995 ST #2615

Registry
I'd love to see these on (illuminated). Do you have a link to a G with these? Most I've seen are hid. I'd also like to see the brightness of the position light (your intended dlr)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 18th, 2016, 11:52 PM
Chip
Andrew
1994 NAS Defender 90

Yeah, here's one:

And here they are on:

I think these were used from 2002 to 2006, then they switched to the Bi-Xenons for 2007. These are still used on the G300 Professional though. I wanted the Bi-Xenons but they are way too big to fit without serious modification to the front wings. A lot of people have replaced these H4 headlights with Depo projectors that look like the OEM xenons but they are awful quality (they get water and condensation inside them) and the beam pattern isn't as good as the ZKW H4s.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 19th, 2016, 12:18 AM
D90Overkill
David Frank
1995 ST #2615

Registry
Thanks. I'm really mostly curious about the ability of the positioner to be bright enough to be used as a dlr. I remember hella had a line of full sized 3k or 4K floods with what they called "city lights" but never saw them on. I have their Celis 4K's on my P38, but don't consider them bright enough as dlr's.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1813870856.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	292.6 KB
ID:	139817   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2777888838.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	459.6 KB
ID:	139820  

Old January 19th, 2016, 01:38 AM
Chip
Andrew
1994 NAS Defender 90

I don't really want them very bright myself; going for the subtle look, so the little bulb in there will be fine for me. I guess you could find a bright LED to stick in there.
Old January 19th, 2016, 01:46 AM
D90Overkill
David Frank
1995 ST #2615

Registry
Gotcha. Well, I'm looking forward to seeing them on your truck! Good luck with everything.
Old February 9th, 2016, 01:51 PM
Chip
Andrew
1994 NAS Defender 90

I'm replacing the seat boxes and I got the Puma battery tray. So I tried to figure out what size battery the Puma trucks use. The closest I could come up with is size H6. I got one at Advance Auto Parts because I had a reward to use. Between that and a promo code it came out to $111 for an AGM.

Old February 20th, 2016, 08:26 PM
Chip
Andrew
1994 NAS Defender 90

I got a new driver's side front wing from Atlantic British. My truck's on it's way to being dent free.

Old February 26th, 2016, 02:21 AM
Chip
Andrew
1994 NAS Defender 90

Today I put in new spark plugs and installed my new aluminium valve cover.

Old March 2nd, 2016, 02:31 PM
Chip
Andrew
1994 NAS Defender 90

I decided I'm replacing the wheel bearings when I do the brakes and I researched online on which ones to get. I was going to order Timken, but I found out they're made in China. I read SKF are made in China too. So I decided to get Koyo from Japan (OEM for Toyota). To my pleasant surprise they're made in USA. The other bits like the seals and lock washers I ordered from my LR dealer.

Old March 8th, 2016, 05:03 PM
Chip
Andrew
1994 NAS Defender 90

I got a nice 95 Wynn's A/C system. So I'll be selling my 94 Diavia system. I can't get it to right now though because the lift arms prevent me from opening the doors. I think this one will probably prevent me from being able to install the engine DME where the old one was up on the bulkhead in the passenger footwell, so I'm going to install it in the engine bay in the Z3 DME box.

Old March 9th, 2016, 10:29 PM
Chip
Andrew
1994 NAS Defender 90

I tried an Econoseal J connector on one of the NAS lights. It fits, but it's tight and I wasn't sure if it was going to come off. So I got the correct Econoseal III connectors.

Here's the Econoseal III compared to the Econoseal J:

All set.
Old March 10th, 2016, 11:31 PM
Chip
Andrew
1994 NAS Defender 90

I decided to go a different route with the radiator. I was originally planning on using the one installed in late model 2.8i’s, but the M54 cooling system is different than the M52. The expansion tank needs 2 ports on the bottom rather than one. The M52 expansion tank does have a port on the bottom for the coolant level sensor, but it has a PG 7 thread (Stahlpanzerrohrgewinde) and so finding an appropriate fitting is not possible because the max diameter for those is 12.5mm and the port is about twice that. Also, the late 2.8i fan cowl is unobtanium so I would either have to find one that works or modify one. So I decided I’m going to use an E46 330i radiator and electric fan that comes built into it’s own cowl that mounts onto the radiator. The expansion tank mounts onto the radiator too so I won’t have to find a place for it in the engine bay. I ordered a Nissens 60784A radiator and I selected the brand Febi for the fan and expansion tank (part #s 36663 and 33550). The Febi parts are apparently made in Germany whereas the Hella/Behr are made in China. I guess we shall see. I ordered them from Amazon.de which turned out to cost less than ordering them from a domestic supplier.

Here’s what the cooling system hose routing looks like for the M54 (it’s for M52TU but it’s the same). Where it says IHKA, that's the heater core, and the heat exchanger is only for automatic transmission. The electric fan will be wired to the MS43 DME which controls it based on data from the outlet coolant temperature sensor.
Old March 12th, 2016, 02:47 AM
Chip
Andrew
1994 NAS Defender 90

After researching some more it looks like Febi parts aren't very good and apparently the Nissens radiator can have some fitment problems. So I decided it's probably best to stick with the genuine parts. I found out on a BMW forum Modine is the manufacturer for the genuine BMW radiator and expansion tank, so I ordered those instead. Bosch is the OEM for the fan, but now those are only available from the BMW dealer and they're about $500. For a little more I can get a larger 600w fan (rather than 400w) that came on the Z4 so I think I'll get one of those. I can probably benefit from the extra cooling when I do any towing or go off-road. Researching all these parts is a lot of work.
Old March 12th, 2016, 07:05 AM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
This is one of the best projects on this whole site in terms of ambition, originality, and quality of execution.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old March 12th, 2016, 08:07 AM
down_shift
Russell
94' D90 ST & 06' LR3

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC View Post
This is one of the best projects on this whole site in terms of ambition, originality, and quality of execution.
Agree.
If Andrew needed a job, thinking there would be dozens of standing offers, regardless of the profession. What company wouldn't benefit with a person sporting these attributes?
Old March 12th, 2016, 10:25 AM
rdavisinva
Robert Davis
N/A

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chip View Post
Yeah, here's one:
Have been looking for one of these:

https://www.olx.in/item/trax-cruiser...tml#81e35bc03a

Under 4 grand

Uncle "Richard" Douglas has a Land Rover with big wheels that never gets stuck... until he breaks something so it won't go. Uncle Douglas always breaks something. - Anna Crowther at the Conclave 2012 (AKA Carburetor Neck)
Old March 12th, 2016, 03:15 PM
Willh
Will Hedrick
Use to own NAS #96, #1778, & #1008

Registry
Quote:
I agree.

Please feel free to visit my website at:

Quote:
Willh is the F'n man! Defender of the Defenders! - Overlander
Old March 12th, 2016, 04:21 PM
don
Don Bunnell
'86 110 3dr ST

Registry
Quote:
Yeah the Econseal III vs J is a great example. J works but isn't factory fit like III.

He makes the tech stuff easy to read as well. Great posts and documentation!
Old March 12th, 2016, 04:53 PM
Chip
Andrew
1994 NAS Defender 90

Thanks guys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdavisinva View Post
Have been looking for one of these:

https://www.olx.in/item/trax-cruiser...tml#81e35bc03a

Under 4 grand
That's really cool. Would you turn it into like a dormobile?
Old March 14th, 2016, 04:07 AM
vanleiv
Vangelis Leivaditis
Discovery 1

Hello to everyone!

Hi Andrew, awesome project and very helpful step by step guidance.
I have my Discovery 1 LHD under construction with the same engine (BMW M52 dual vanos) on R380 gearbox and i'm thinking of some issues came up...

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B5u...ew?usp=sharing
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Build-up's, Projects & Registry Profiles > Truck Build-up's & Restores

Tags
90, defender, defender 90