Andrew's Defender 90 3.0i Project - Page 24 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Build-up's, Projects & Registry Profiles > Truck Build-up's & Restores

Join the Defender Source Community Today

Old October 17th, 2015, 12:28 PM
Chip
Andrew
1994 NAS Defender 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by rijosho View Post
Is it just me or is the magnet structure on those speakers really deep? Those fit alright without interfering with the roll cage and/or seatbelt mount on the C pillar of the cage?
I hope they don't interfere with the seatbelt/roll cage. It'll be a while before I get to installing them. They're 69.5mm (2.736 inches) deep from the back of the front lip to the back of the magnet. The DC Gold N5R speakers David recommended are 2.8 inches deep, so if those fit, these will.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 5th, 2015, 09:58 PM
Chip
Andrew
1994 NAS Defender 90

A friend helped me turn the pilot bushing today (lower right in photo). Thanks to Jean from SA who shared the dimensions. I also had the P38 M51 pilot bearing for OD (upper left in photo) and the 300Tdi pilot bushing for ID (middle upper left in photo). I found a stock Oilite bronze bush about the correct size (32mm OD, 22mm ID, 20mm length (lower left in photo)) so the ID just had to be enlarged a little and then the step cut on the end. Hopefully it'll work out good. He also made a tool to install it (upper right in photo).

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 7th, 2015, 01:25 AM
Chip
Andrew
1994 NAS Defender 90

Got the pilot bush installed.

And the new DMF. It got a little surface rust on it just from sitting in it's box in the garage... Oh well.

And the clutch installed.

But then I ran into an unexpected problem installing the clutch housing. The bolt holes do not line up with the bolt holes on the oil pan. The oil pan has 3 rear bolt holes and the clutch housing has 4 bolt holes for the oil pan. So I went online to do a little research and the clutch housing was of course designed for the M51 engine (P38 diesel) so I looked up the oil pan for that and it has 4 rear bolt holes. The LR parts catalogue lists the oil pan for the Defender 2.8i to be the same one installed on a M52 engine in the E36 and Z3. That oil pan (BMW part # 11131748755 (LR part # omits first 4 digits)) is basically the same as the one I'm using (BMW part # 11131437001) and has 3 rear bolt holes, but according to the parts catalogue the Defender 2.8i uses the same clutch housing (FTC4461). So I'm not sure if one of those parts listed in the catalogue is actually wrong or LR/BMW decided to leave the oil pan unbolted from the clutch housing on the Defender 2.8i. I figure the 4 12mm bolts to the engine block probably do provide enough strength. The bolts to the oil pan are only 8 mm. I think I'm going to drill and tap holes in the oil pan for the 2 outer bolts though. I can't drill the lower middle one as the sump is there.

Old November 7th, 2015, 02:35 PM
Chip
Andrew
1994 NAS Defender 90

I've been able to confirm the clutch housing on the Defender 2.8i does not bolt to the oil pan. The parts catalogue is therefore correct. So I guess I won't try drilling and tapping a couple holes in the pan as the 2.8i project's engineer(s) decided the 4 bolts to the engine block are sufficient. It is still odd though that they did not design a new clutch housing for the petrol engine because they did make a 2.8i specific rear bellhousing piece. I'm guessing it was a decision made due to budget or time constraints. Odder still though why BMW made 2 different bellhousing bolt patterns.
Old December 1st, 2015, 08:09 PM
Chip
Andrew
1994 NAS Defender 90

Got the engine & drivetrain on the chassis.

Old December 1st, 2015, 08:58 PM
Willh
Will Hedrick
Use to own NAS #96, #1778, & #1008

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chip View Post
Awesome sir! Keep up the good work!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Please feel free to visit my website at:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Willh is the F'n man! Defender of the Defenders! - Overlander
Old December 1st, 2015, 10:01 PM
Chip
Andrew
1994 NAS Defender 90

This little guy arrived from Germany today. A Hella LED flasher. Hope it works good.

Old December 1st, 2015, 10:23 PM
don
Don Bunnell
'86 110 3dr ST

Registry
Very nice Chip!

I have to say that Bimmer mill looks very good on top of the galvy LR chassis.
Old December 2nd, 2015, 07:01 AM
Nomar
Jeff B
RR HNTR,RR LWB Tdi

Registry
Quote:

How does the axle/sump area look?

Real Rovers have round headlights!
Rent my
!
Just a few miles from 4x4 access!
Old December 2nd, 2015, 01:44 PM
Chip
Andrew
1994 NAS Defender 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomar View Post
How does the axle/sump area look?

It looks good. There looks to be adequate room for axle articulation. The left side of the sump comes sorta close to the side of the frame, like an inch and a half maybe, but that's okay. It's not quite as close as the parking brake drum is to the frame. I think an E46 oil pan would give it more room there.
Old December 3rd, 2015, 05:01 PM
Chip
Andrew
1994 NAS Defender 90

I tried test fitting the M54 headers and the front one will not fit because the engine mount is in the way. So I ordered the M52 headers that are installed on the 2.8i. Of course that means I also need to separately install catalytic converters. I've heard aftermarket catalysts aren't very good, so after researching a bit online I read CARB compliant ones are a lot better. They have a 5 year warranty and failure during that period can't exceed 4%. And of course lower emissions is a good thing. So I selected ones that are specifically approved for an OBD2 Defender 90 by California. I don't plan on moving there, but if I did that should help eliminate any problems passing smog.

Old December 15th, 2015, 03:08 PM
Chip
Andrew
1994 NAS Defender 90

My headers arrived today. $60 shipped from the UK. The US M52 headers can't be used because they have holes in them for secondary air injection which the M54 headers don't have. I just test fitted them and they fit great.

Old December 15th, 2015, 08:29 PM
don
Don Bunnell
'86 110 3dr ST

Registry
Quote:
My headers arrived today. $60 shipped from the UK. The US M52 headers can't be used because they have holes in them for secondary air injection which the M54 headers don't have. I just test fitted them and they fit great.
So these headers are UK/Euro spec M52?

How do the insides look? Any plans for porting &polishing?

And are you going custom DPs or have you found LR parts that will work?
Old December 15th, 2015, 10:54 PM
Chip
Andrew
1994 NAS Defender 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by don View Post
So these headers are UK/Euro spec M52?

How do the insides look? Any plans for porting &polishing?

And are you going custom DPs or have you found LR parts that will work?
Yeah, they're Euro M52. I found them using the part numbers Land Rover lists for the 2.8i. I didn't want to take a chance again on headers that may not work. They look clean. I don't think a port & polish is necessary since they're stock. What are DPs?

Installed.

Old December 16th, 2015, 12:08 AM
don
Don Bunnell
'86 110 3dr ST

Registry
DP's = downpipes

Wondering how you are going to match the 2 header to the rest of the 90 exhaust.

They look great installed btw!
Old December 16th, 2015, 12:49 AM
Chip
Andrew
1994 NAS Defender 90

The exhaust will have to be custom. I got flanges from Turner Motorsport to match up to the headers. And new gaskets. It'll be dual 2" to the rear muffler then single 3" out. I have a new Borla muffler. I have a center muffler from a Z4 also so hopefully that can go in as well. I saved the old exhaust the shop can study for routing.
Old December 16th, 2015, 06:53 AM
Sarek
Ralf Sarek
1973 Series IIa 109 Pickup

I was just reading your build thread. very cool build. I see that you're trying to maintain m54 emissions standard. I believe if you do not run the catalytic converters that are manifold mounted, going to be tough to maintain the standard. that engine expect the catalytic converters to be online much sooner than one that has cats further down the line. it is very possible you will get a service engine light because of this. I know that the Exhaust and drive shaft clearance on that side is very tight. just wondering if you thought about this.keep up the good work beautiful build!
Old December 16th, 2015, 06:56 AM
Jymmiejamz
Jimmy
1995 D90 SW #365

Registry
Are they just bare metal? If so, Jet Hot coating is nice to prevent rust and they have a really good warranty on their coatings. I can't remember the price, but I don't think it was crazy.

Old December 16th, 2015, 02:34 PM
Chip
Andrew
1994 NAS Defender 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarek View Post
I was just reading your build thread. very cool build. I see that you're trying to maintain m54 emissions standard. I believe if you do not run the catalytic converters that are manifold mounted, going to be tough to maintain the standard. that engine expect the catalytic converters to be online much sooner than one that has cats further down the line. it is very possible you will get a service engine light because of this. I know that the Exhaust and drive shaft clearance on that side is very tight. just wondering if you thought about this.keep up the good work beautiful build!
Hey thanks. I think my ECU has been setup not to have a problem with that, but if not some adjustments would fix that. The 2.8i engine mount comes up too far to mount the manifold catalysts, at least the front one. I could mount the rear one, but I don't think that would be ideal to have a different setup on 3 cylinders. I think emissions will still be very low with the CARB compliant catalysts. Certainly lower than any other Defender. I'll ask my exhaust guy to mount them as close as possible to the manifolds. They are much shorter than the catalyst manifolds.

I didn't notice the M54 has a different number of studs than the M52 until I installed them. So I found out there is an M54 version of these headers that have the correct number of bolt holes which would look cleaner. For future reference.

------ Follow up post added December 16th, 2015 11:38 AM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jymmiejamz View Post
Are they just bare metal? If so, Jet Hot coating is nice to prevent rust and they have a really good warranty on their coatings. I can't remember the price, but I don't think it was crazy.
Very nice. I don't think I'll worry about coating them. They are stainless steel, not cast iron like M50 headers. Well except for the flanges I guess.
Old January 18th, 2016, 11:28 PM
Chip
Andrew
1994 NAS Defender 90

I haven't worked on the truck much due to the weather, but spring is coming and I'll be back to work soon. I got some new parts though. The top and front of the driver's side front wing has dents, so I got a new one of those. The new one arrived with a dent in it though, so the dealer is going to send me a replacement when they get them in again next month. I tried to get them to give me a credit for repairing it, but I guess they thought the estimate I got from a local shop was too much. Hopefully the new one will be dent free. Always a pain shipping body parts. The new doors I bought from the UK arrived with little dents on them too, but hopefully the auto body dude and fix them up good.

I also got new Mercedes ZKW headlights (Geländewagen). They have 3 tabs built onto them so I was trying to figure out how to mount them today. The ring/bracket they came with can't be used. There's an adjusting screw on one of the tabs, and a pivot thing on the other upper one, and the lower one is where the electric leveling motor attaches on the Mercedes. So what I'm going to do is take the pivot thing off and add 2 more adjusting screws (ordered them from the Mercedes dealer), and then just drill 3 new holes in the old Defender ring/bracket, and put a nut on the back, maybe a wing nut for easy adjustment. I think that'll work good. It's pretty silly of me to go this route, but I think they just look so cool.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Build-up's, Projects & Registry Profiles > Truck Build-up's & Restores

Tags
90, defender, defender 90