Andrew's Defender 90 3.0i Project - Page 19 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Build-up's, Projects & Registry Profiles > Truck Build-up's & Restores

Join the Defender Source Community Today

Old July 23rd, 2015, 04:07 PM
Chip
Andrew
1994 NAS Defender 90

I know, you're absolutely right. Thanks Adam for helping me realize what a jerk I can be. Jeff and Ben should be mad at me. I would be lol. Hopefully not too much though cause I like I said, I feel rotten. Oh well. It's a nice day though. Let's all be happy now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 23rd, 2015, 04:14 PM
transientmechanic
Adam
1972 SIII

It's all good I harbor no ill will
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 24th, 2015, 03:51 AM
Chip
Andrew
1994 NAS Defender 90

Adam, you were being a troll though, you gotta admit. And Jeff and Ben were hijacking my thread. It's all rudeness.
Old July 24th, 2015, 04:17 AM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'93 NAS110 #463
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSBriggs View Post
What the hell Adam? As your reading the board you say to yourself "That BMW conversion thread needs some douchiness"? -Jeff
And this is exactly why I don't have a build thread.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Semper Fi!
Old July 24th, 2015, 11:15 AM
crown14
Verticalscrote
Volkswagen Super Beetle
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
If you can't deal with a thread hijack, don't start threads that you can't moderate yourself.

Personally, I would take it as ANY activity on a thread is good thing. Even if you consider it hijacked, who really cares.
Old July 24th, 2015, 11:49 AM
slammin_LWB
Jeff
1993 RRC LWB, 2001 D2 SD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chip View Post
That's awesome Jeff! But actually a group from Germany just shared the MS43 EWS delete so there's no need to pay to have that done now. Link here, here, and here.
I'm glad I popped in here. I learned something. (Isn't that what this is all about?)

Sorry to be all hijacky

Thanks man!
Old July 24th, 2015, 11:56 PM
Chip
Andrew
1994 NAS Defender 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by slammin_LWB View Post
I'm glad I popped in here. I learned something. (Isn't that what this is all about?)

Sorry to be all hijacky

Thanks man!
No, you didn't really hijack anything. It's all good. I'm glad you popped in too. It's just this forum has put me on edge because there's been a lot of weird activity going on that's caused me to become very touchy when it comes to issues of what's legal vs. what's not. As you may have read the feds confiscated a bunch of grey market imports (which were later returned due to the heroic efforts of an awesome lawyer guy on here), and there's constantly not-legal Defenders for sale, and there's constantly people doing questionably legal engine conversions (such as a Puma diesel). That's why I prefer not to discuss anything having to do with laws or regulations such as emissions equipment. Even though I don't believe I've broken any laws and I don't intend to, I don't want anyone mislead into believing I have or that I stand for or support breaking them, because I don't.

Also, as a conservation biologist I care deeply for the wellbeing of our planet and itís inhabitants. I donít appreciate it when people choose to do things to their vehicle that increases emissions and therefore subsequently causes greater harm to our world. Legal issues aside that is just flat out wrong. Itís not my intention to elevate myself unto a pedestal or act as an authority on the law, because Iím not. Iíve mentioned the law only because I thought some people may respect that even though they donít respect trying to create a cleaner world. Now I understand of course some people, like Adam, misunderstood my intentions. Thatís why Iíll no longer try to tell anyone what theyíre doing, or intend to do, is illegal. Adam quoted portions of an old EPA memo to make it look like what Iím doing is illegal because I was telling others what theyíre doing is illegal, including his earlier suggestion of importing a foreign BMW diesel engine. He interpreted that as an attack and took a natural course of retaliation. It was actually a very appropriate response. One that caused me to rethink my approach within these sensitive social interactions.

In regards to my project, I wanted to increase my truckís efficiency, reliability, power, and produce lower emissions. I believe I will achieve all of those goals with the BMW M54 engine. I also believe there is nothing wrong with what Iím doing, which is why I became offended in response to Adams accusations. It is not feasible any government agency, federal, state, or local, including the EPA, would have a problem with what Iím doing unless it was to protect a corporate interest. That is because the purpose of the Clean Air Act, and other related environmental laws and regulations, is to protect our air quality (and also land and sea) by requiring lower emissions. Any attempt to lower emissions would be applauded by the designers and enforcers of those laws and regulations. Many people view those laws and regulations as a hindrance or impediment because they desire to do things that increases the emissions of their vehicle such as installing an old dirty diesel engine or removing emissions equipment such as catalytic converters. And because so many have jumped on board that ship they have created an underground community of likeminded individuals. So when someone like me comes along it is natural for them to feel hostility towards me, because I represent what they are not and what they are working against.

So our mission should be to educate those who donít understand the benefits of lowering emissions. But the reality is, more people are becoming to understand those benefits. New cars are increasingly becoming more efficient and produce lower emissions than ever before. Itís only natural someone like me comes along and wishes to do the same for their Defender. Eventually, and probably sooner than later, people will even begin converting their trucks to electric. I bet some of you even now secretly have a Prius or Tesla in your garage.
Old July 25th, 2015, 02:03 PM
Chip
Andrew
1994 NAS Defender 90

Someone sent me a message, but I'll share it here with my response. I hope you don't mind.

Quote:
Quote:
...I’ve mentioned the law only because I thought some people may respect that even though they don’t respect trying to create a cleaner world...
I think you have it the other way around. I don't see anyone here looking to pollute, its the laws that are flawed. Point being if a Puma Diesel is clean enough for the higher densities of the EU, wouldn't it make sense that it would be OK here?
Yeah, compared to an older diesel, for sure. But I only mentioned that one because they're too new to legally import. So yes I totally agree in that regard the laws are definitely flawed. I didn't mean to specifically target diesels. I just used older diesels as an example of an engine that produces higher emissions than an original NAS Rover V8. Perhaps I should have said "an old Chevy 350 without catalytic converters." I should also clarify that I only had NAS vehicles in mind, not ROW Defenders which are already diesel, but I believe if someone wanted to put a cleaner engine into one of those that would be the right thing to do and a Puma would fit the bill.
Old July 27th, 2015, 02:38 PM
slammin_LWB
Jeff
1993 RRC LWB, 2001 D2 SD

Quote:
Gotcha!

You have seen the all electric e30....right?

That, in a D90 would be awesommmeeeee!

*hint hint, nudge nudge*
Old July 27th, 2015, 04:07 PM
Chip
Andrew
1994 NAS Defender 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by slammin_LWB View Post
Gotcha!

You have seen the all electric e30....right?

That, in a D90 would be awesommmeeeee!

*hint hint, nudge nudge*
No I haven't. Who did that? I bet it's awesome!

Here's an electric Defender.

" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350">
Old July 27th, 2015, 04:53 PM
motom
Anders
109 Series III

Well, I'd just like to say great build! Impressed with the parts research! I thought I knew a bit about defenders but apparently not

Where I'm located engine swaps are almost impossible to get approved so its fun to see whats possible across the pond

Keep up the good work and hopefully we can get some photos of all these parts installed...
Old July 27th, 2015, 07:54 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
Only a wacko would convert a rover to electric. Like this guy

http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...ric-41368.html

Sorry for the hijack
Old July 27th, 2015, 08:13 PM
JSBriggs
Jeff Briggs
Antarctic Blue Super Sports Wagon
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgalpin View Post
Only a wacko would convert a rover to electric. Like this guy

http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...ric-41368.html

Sorry for the hijack
Wacko is right. Its essentially coal fired power, with the added benefit of acids and heavy metals thrown in.

I prefer the Paleo diet for my Rovers.

-Jeff
Old July 27th, 2015, 08:34 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
Trying hard not to perpetuate the hijack so this will be my last comment in this thread on the topic of electric rovers...

Don't forget nukes, solar, wind and hydro!
Old July 27th, 2015, 11:28 PM
Chip
Andrew
1994 NAS Defender 90

It's okay. You guys can hijack all you want. I shouldn't have let it bug me. It's all good.
Yeah I agree electric isn't the total solution. We're lucky in this part of the country we have wind and hydro, but there is a coal plant in Boardman which causes most of the air pollution in the Columbia Gorge.

------ Follow up post added July 27th, 2015 08:32 PM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSBriggs View Post
Wacko is right. Its essentially coal fired power, with the added benefit of acids and heavy metals thrown in.

I prefer the Paleo diet for my Rovers.

-Jeff
" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350">
Old July 28th, 2015, 11:26 AM
slammin_LWB
Jeff
1993 RRC LWB, 2001 D2 SD

Quote:
No I haven't. Who did that? I bet it's awesome!
This Electric BMW E30 Is Fast and Green

/hijack, lol.
Old July 30th, 2015, 10:05 PM
Chip
Andrew
1994 NAS Defender 90

I got the 95 NAS rear speaker trim pieces, but the opening is 5" and I need it to be 5 1/2". I'm not sure if I should cut on them since they're rare and I paid $300. Any ideas? The poor things also feel pretty flimsy. I'm not sure if they can support the speakers very well. I don't want them flying out at me if I had to slam on the brakes lol. Perhaps I can try reinforcing them. Maybe some kind of metal frame attached to the speaker on the back. I suppose if someone wants to make me metal replicas they can have these for free.

Old July 31st, 2015, 01:32 PM
Chip
Andrew
1994 NAS Defender 90

Curt's Jeep pulling my dead Land Rover.

Old August 4th, 2015, 11:50 PM
Chip
Andrew
1994 NAS Defender 90

No more rust.

Old August 5th, 2015, 01:19 AM
D90Overkill
David Frank
1995 ST #2615

Registry
Quote:
I got the 95 NAS rear speaker trim piece. I suppose if someone wants to make me metal replicas they can have these for free.
Save them for posterity and que up for the all metal ones being fabbed by I believe toddw.

http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...xes-29969.html

Go to page 4.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Build-up's, Projects & Registry Profiles > Truck Build-up's & Restores

Tags
90, defender, defender 90