Andrew's Defender 90 3.0i Project - Page 15 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Build-up's, Projects & Registry Profiles > Truck Build-up's & Restores

Join the Defender Source Community Today

Old June 13th, 2015, 02:28 PM
Chip
Andrew
1994 NAS Defender 90

As Jackie Treehorn pointed out, the M54 sometimes suffers from PCV/CCV problems. It can clog up and fill the engine with "mayonnaise" in cold weather. That's how the engine failed in our E46. To prevent that from happening to this engine, and to also lower evaporative emissions, I got a M56 valve cover that has the integrated CCV. The M56 is the "Super Ultra Low Emission" version of the M54 sold in California, New York, Massachusetts (2003 to 2006), and Vermont (2004 to 2006). It has a different plastic engine cover as well, which isn't quite as attractive in my opinion, but hey we're going for functionality here.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 13th, 2015, 06:27 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
At least you won't have to remove the whole cabin filter assembly to get the less pretty cover on/off!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 14th, 2015, 10:01 PM
Chip
Andrew
1994 NAS Defender 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgalpin View Post
At least you won't have to remove the whole cabin filter assembly to get the less pretty cover on/off!
Well this is going on the engine for the D90. I should do the same thing for the X5 and the E46 though.
Old June 15th, 2015, 11:05 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
Yup, I am not sure about the X5 and the E46, but on a 3 series changing a coil pack takes an hour because you spend 50 minutes getting the cover off and on again!
Old June 18th, 2015, 04:14 PM
Chip
Andrew
1994 NAS Defender 90

Time for an update.

My friend Curt has been helping me repair the chassis. The previous owner tried to repair one of the front outriggers that rotted, but it was quite a mess. That dude just put 2 pieces of angle iron over it with some pretty bad welds and then welded the bumper and brush guard to it. So Curt ground the welds off the bumper and brush guard to get them off. The bumper isn't in good shape (dents and looks like they cut the bottom middle out for a wench(?)), but I have a new one like I posted before. If anyone wants the old bumper for something let me know. I'll be reusing the brush guard, but we'll have to weld new lower mounts on it as they've been cut off (by the previous owner who welded it to the bumper). Then Curt rebuilt the outrigger, including sleeves (pipe) like the original so it's nice and strong. It doesn’t look 100% the same as the original, but that’s okay since it’ll be inside the bumper. Now I’ll be able to bolt the bumper and brush guard on as they’re suppose to be.

Here’s some after pics. I forgot to take pictures of how it was before, but that’s okay.

When we took out the gearbox crossmember we uncovered large holes in the chassis. Looks like road salt got pretty happy in there. (Never buying another Northeast vehicle again .) So Curt is patching it up. He decided to put the plates on the inside so the crossmember can bolt on without a problem. He has just tack welded them for now and will finish later when I get the axles off and we can turn the chassis so he doesn't have to work sideways.

He’s also helping me replace the rear crossmember, which was very rotten. The metal is solid up pretty close to it though so we decided to cut if off just behind the gas tank mounts so we don’t have to re-attach those. He cut the replacement crossmember to match and cut around the tub mounts to overlap onto the old rails, which he ground down some so fitment should be the same.

Old July 5th, 2015, 11:32 AM
atakan
atakan
defender 90 1985 % defender 90 2001

Registry
Looking Good! cant wait to see bits getting bolted onto that chassis I've gone ahead of myself and started shopping for the M54 as well, i figure you've gone this far so its gotta work!
didnt you consider the all steel cowl from raptor as well? i mean since you got the steel holder thingi, i just got the pair and they seem like they go better together!
Old July 5th, 2015, 01:05 PM
dbchun
Daniel
None

this is great! never knew you could put a M54 into a defender. i'm very new to the land rover scene but quite familiar with bmw, this sounds like an awesome combination!
Old July 5th, 2015, 01:33 PM
Chip
Andrew
1994 NAS Defender 90

Thanks guys. Nice to know some people appreciate what I'm doing. Atakan, what do you mean by "the all steel cowl from raptor"? I'm not sure what you're referring to.
Old July 5th, 2015, 01:46 PM
atakan
atakan

Registry
Hi Andrew,
meant this bit:
Defender Binnacle
IIRC you purchased the binnacle mount in steel from safari, these guys to the binnacle in steel as well.
Old July 5th, 2015, 01:59 PM
Chip
Andrew
1994 NAS Defender 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by atakan View Post
Hi Andrew,
meant this bit:
Defender Binnacle
IIRC you purchased the binnacle mount in steel from safari, these guys to the binnacle in steel as well.
Oh I see. That's cool. The one from Safari is aluminum. I like the setup for the dash I have, but that looks nice. Also that one is the older style, so it wouldn't work for my cluster which is from a 2005. 1999 is the year they changed the heater control illumination panels and warning gauge panel.
Old July 5th, 2015, 02:40 PM
atakan
atakan

Registry
Lucky you! i basically have to change out everything for my dash! yes that's true, (but they do have a variant for the 1999 to 2006 models)
do you reckon there's anyway to mate an auto transmission to the M54 in a 90? or the M52?
Old July 5th, 2015, 04:39 PM
Chip
Andrew
1994 NAS Defender 90

Quote:
Lucky you! i basically have to change out everything for my dash! yes that's true, (but they do have a variant for the 1999 to 2006 models)
do you reckon there's anyway to mate an auto transmission to the M54 in a 90? or the M52?
Yeah, you should be able to put a BMW bellhousing on a Land Rover ZF 4HP22.
Old July 6th, 2015, 01:16 AM
Chip
Andrew
1994 NAS Defender 90

Fitting an auto trans isn't something I've looked into because I prefer manual, but it looks like the only ZF 4HP22 that came in a BMW with the correct bellhousing (converter housing) for an M50/M52/M54 was the one fitted in an E30 316i and 318i in Europe and South Africa. Those vehicles had the M40 4 cylinder engine, but it's the same bolt pattern and orientation. It's part # 24411217202. You can probably get a whole used gearbox really cheap. I don't know if you'll need to swap any other parts between the gearboxes. Parts link here.
Old July 6th, 2015, 05:03 AM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

That's the same box as used in RRC and D1.
Old July 6th, 2015, 05:30 AM
atakan
atakan

Registry
Thanks Andrew that's very helpful, thanks Chris as well.
I tested out the 4 speed auto (on a D90 4.0 V8 - Japanese spec) and wasn't very pleased especially with cruising and acceleration and was wondering if there was a straight forward way to fit in a more modern autobox. I'm not very informed on this subject so excuse any silly questions i may be asking if not i will just mimic your R380 route.
Old July 6th, 2015, 01:06 PM
Chip
Andrew
1994 NAS Defender 90

To keep things simple I would only use a gearbox that was originally installed in one of our trucks, but you could install a different BMW gearbox if you make an adapter to mate to the transfer case like Olivier (garage_vert) did (his is a 6-speed manual from an X3). See post 167. I don't know how the newer BMW auto gearboxes compare to the ZF 4HP22. You'd also have different electronics to deal with.
Old July 6th, 2015, 04:22 PM
Arcadeus
Mark Bichin
97 NAS Station Wagon LE

Registry
Quote:
Thanks Andrew that's very helpful, thanks Chris as well. I tested out the 4 speed auto (on a D90 4.0 V8 - Japanese spec) and wasn't very pleased especially with cruising and acceleration and was wondering if there was a straight forward way to fit in a more modern autobox. I'm not very informed on this subject so excuse any silly questions i may be asking if not i will just mimic your R380 route.
Chances are that's the engine you are feeling... Trannies are fairly good and were used in several high performance applications...
Old July 6th, 2015, 06:01 PM
Chip
Andrew
1994 NAS Defender 90

I agree. Here is a place that builds up the ZF trannies to handle 700hp.
Old July 7th, 2015, 12:07 AM
atakan
atakan

Registry
I see. That's interesting and good learning for me. I simply thought it had something to do with just being a 4 speed and not having a wider range of gears. Like I said I'm not too knowledgeable on the subject and appreciate the info.
It looks like mine will be an R380 as well and I will have the option of the 4HP22 if I need an auto in the future. I find there to be a big difference with the R380 coming from an old LT77.
I also found a 2.8i here in Kenya and owner let me have a go in it and the manual felt right at home in it.
Looking forward to hearing about your M54 once it's running.
Old July 7th, 2015, 12:29 AM
Chip
Andrew
1994 NAS Defender 90

Quote:
I see. That's interesting and good learning for me. I simply thought it had something to do with just being a 4 speed and not having a wider range of gears. Like I said I'm not too knowledgeable on the subject and appreciate the info.
It looks like mine will be an R380 as well and I will have the option of the 4HP22 if I need an auto in the future. I find there to be a big difference with the R380 coming from an old LT77.
I also found a 2.8i here in Kenya and owner let me have a go in it and the manual felt right at home in it.
Looking forward to hearing about your M54 once it's running.
That's awesome. I'd love to take a 2.8i for a spin. If you want to go with the R380 honestly you're probably better off just buying a 2.8i because they're cheap over there and the parts you need for the swap are rare and hard to find. Then if you want more power just have an S52 shipped from the US because it's a straight drop-in replacement. You could keep all the wiring, ECU, and everything.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Build-up's, Projects & Registry Profiles > Truck Build-up's & Restores

Tags
90, defender, defender 90