Andrew's Defender 90 3.0i Project - Page 13 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Build-up's, Projects & Registry Profiles > Truck Build-up's & Restores

Join the Defender Source Community Today

Old April 20th, 2015, 03:06 PM
Chip
Andrew
1994 NAS Defender 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Douglas View Post
Saw an M3 engine in a Range Rover classic two weeks ago and I thought of the project here. What they had done was put obd 1 electronics on the M engine (apparently there is a whole tuner group out there making these setups) and it was running flawlessly. They changed the bell housing and torque converter but retained the classics 4hp22 trans. Very nicely done.
That's awesome. A lot of people do convert an OBD2 engine to OBD1, but it is very illegal. It's very difficult to convert the dual vanos M54 to OBD1, although there is a guy I know who's done it using a custom made vanos controller. He also modified the engine to accept a cable throttle. None of that is ideal in my opinion. OBD2 gives you much more diagnostic information and of course lower emissions so that's good for the planet. I also very much prefer drive-by-wire. It's so smooth and I feel more connected to the engine.

------ Follow up post added April 20th, 2015 12:08 PM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSBriggs View Post
WD-40 is your friend to get those stickers off without damage/scratches.

-Jeff
Thanks for the tip. Although I think I'll have the stripper dip them when I take the chassis in to prep for galv.

------ Follow up post added April 20th, 2015 12:16 PM ------

You know, I guess I could put a rear fog light in that vacant spot. It would increase visibility for other drivers in poor conditions. I wonder why it's not a requirement in USA. It seems like a good thing.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 20th, 2015, 03:31 PM
Willh
Will Hedrick
Use to own NAS #96, #1778, & #1008

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chip View Post
It's okay. I'll just stick with what I'm doing. I think it'll turn out nice. Based on my VIN my truck doesn't have the rear tubes that would get in the way of the tail lights.
10-4 sir! I can certainly appreciate your attention to detail!

Thanks for continuing to share your project with us and keep up the good work!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Please feel free to visit my website at:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Willh is the F'n man! Defender of the Defenders! - Overlander
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 20th, 2015, 08:35 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chip View Post
Thanks for the tip. Although I think I'll have the stripper dip them when I take the chassis in to prep for galv.
Wow so it's no longer just an engine swap? Progress pics?

Oh, those panels are aluminum so I doubt you want dip them in the same stuff the frame is going into!
Old April 21st, 2015, 03:40 PM
Chip
Andrew
1994 NAS Defender 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgalpin View Post
Wow so it's no longer just an engine swap? Progress pics?

Oh, those panels are aluminum so I doubt you want dip them in the same stuff the frame is going into!
No, I decided the frame should be renewed if I'm going through all this work.

Oh really? I know the rear panels are aluminum, but I thought the corner finishers/cappings are steel. At least they appear to be on my 94 since one is rusting away... Are the 95/97 versions aluminum? I thought people galvanize the cappings to help prevent galvanic corrosion of the aluminum panels.
Old April 21st, 2015, 09:09 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
Oops, from the pics I thought you meant the aluminum end panels. Yes the capping are all steel. Galvy away!

Good luck with your project, but I'll throw the gauntlet down now and challenge you to be first to completion between the two of us
Old April 22nd, 2015, 01:33 AM
Chip
Andrew
1994 NAS Defender 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgalpin View Post
Oops, from the pics I thought you meant the aluminum end panels. Yes the capping are all steel. Galvy away!

Good luck with your project, but I'll throw the gauntlet down now and challenge you to be first to completion between the two of us
Haha okay! The race is on!
Old April 22nd, 2015, 03:36 AM
Joos
Joos
97 Defender 110tdi Hicap

Yes, I think you're right, although I've never seen a NAS truck with a rear fog light. Rovers North does list them on their website for NAS trucks though. I think it'll add a bit of safety if I install a second back-up light there because the one on the left could be difficult to see from the right of the vehicle with the spare wheel blocking it.

Hi Andrew
That's a good option if you look at how many times you will be backing up rather to driving in the fog with a soft top.

Regards
Joos
Old April 22nd, 2015, 01:17 PM
Chip
Andrew
1994 NAS Defender 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joos View Post
Yes, I think you're right, although I've never seen a NAS truck with a rear fog light. Rovers North does list them on their website for NAS trucks though. I think it'll add a bit of safety if I install a second back-up light there because the one on the left could be difficult to see from the right of the vehicle with the spare wheel blocking it.

Hi Andrew
That's a good option if you look at how many times you will be backing up rather to driving in the fog with a soft top.

Regards
Joos
Yeah, for sure. You're right. It would be good to have a backup light on that side. That's what I'll do.
Old April 26th, 2015, 11:25 PM
Chip
Andrew
1994 NAS Defender 90

One of my friends just outfitted his Jeep with a complete new sound system, so it got me thinking about mine. I already have a pretty good head unit (Alpine CDA-117), but the speakers are garbage. I was thinking about installing a good set of components, but I'm not sure really where I'd mount the crossovers and I don't want to cut holes in my new dash top for tweeters, although I could probably install them in a pod/enclosure mounted on top of the dash like they are on a 2010 or older Jeep JK. So I decided I just want to keep it simple and put in some high quality coaxials. I've been spending some time researching which ones to get and I'm considering the Hertz Hi-Energy series (HCX 165), the Hybrid Audio Imagine series, or possibly some speakers by CDT. Apparently a company in Idaho called Biketronics sells the HAT Imagine 6.5's for $199 under their own name, which is a good deal. For the amp I'm considering the Zed Audio Mikro IV. It's small, made in the USA, and reviewers say it's well built. What audio setup do you guys have?
Old April 27th, 2015, 12:30 AM
samer0214
Samer Hijazi
1986 D110 V8

Registry
I say regardless of which coaxials you go with, you should consider adding a small sub. Our trucks are loud, no matter how much insulation one would install.

The box can be custom built for under the rear seat placement, and a good 8" sub would provide plenty of bass.
Old April 27th, 2015, 03:42 AM
Chip
Andrew
1994 NAS Defender 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by samer0214 View Post
I say regardless of which coaxials you go with, you should consider adding a small sub. Our trucks are loud, no matter how much insulation one would install.

The box can be custom built for under the rear seat placement, and a good 8" sub would provide plenty of bass.
Yeah, for sure. I'll see if the new speakers give enough kick by themselves though. I don't think a sub would work out well under the fold-up rear seat in the ST, but maybe I could mount one on the back of the cubby, such as the Alpine SWE-1200 which looks similar to the factory unit in the new Defenders.
Old April 27th, 2015, 03:55 AM
D90Overkill
David Frank
1995 ST #2615

Registry
The aspect of durability is always paramount with me when it comes to the audio system in a defender. Especially a soft top like yours and mine. I'm a big fan of marine grade speakers and amplifiers, just in case. Although JL makes great marine coaxial speakers, have you considered the full range DC golds? Also JL MHT class D amplifiers are peerless. They are compact, run cool, and easy on the batteries. Ironically, I have a sub that I bought to fit the center seat box opening, but I have yet to install it. I just like things hidden and clean. It's rectangular, if you can believe it, and a British company to boot.
Old April 27th, 2015, 04:41 AM
Chip
Andrew
1994 NAS Defender 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by D90Overkill View Post
The aspect of durability is always paramount with me when it comes to the audio system in a defender. Especially a soft top like yours and mine. I'm a big fan of marine grade speakers and amplifiers, just in case. Although JL makes great marine coaxial speakers, have you considered the full range DC golds? Also JL MHT class D amplifiers are peerless. They are compact, run cool, and easy on the batteries. Ironically, I have a sub that I bought to fit the center seat box opening, but I have yet to install it. I just like things hidden and clean. It's rectangular, if you can believe it, and a British company to boot.
For sure. I agree. I haven't heard of the DC golds. They look good. But I found a coupon code (HDForum) for the Biketronics branded HAT Imagine I61-2V2 speakers so I ordered them. It took $40 off 2 sets! They are waterproof and they have a lifetime warranty.

I'll have to check out that amp and that sounds like a good solution for the sub.

Follow up:
Oh, just noticed the coupon code "2015TAXES" is on their homepage. That works too.
Old April 27th, 2015, 01:57 PM
Roverenvy
Michael
1994 Defender 90

Registry
I like my alpine sub. It was a little hard to source as alpine was only selling it in the UK last year when I bought it. Had a custom mount made so it attaches nicely...and in front of the bulkhead bar. So I can still use my badger drop curtain.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1867281261.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	426.5 KB
ID:	119310  
Old April 27th, 2015, 01:58 PM
Roverenvy
Michael
1994 Defender 90

Registry
Here's another.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-936314320.jpg
Views:	350
Size:	464.6 KB
ID:	119311  
Old April 27th, 2015, 03:38 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Goo gone works best on stickers IME.

That and a razor blade got all the carpet adhesive stickers off my NAS tub without any damage to the paint.
Old April 28th, 2015, 02:25 AM
Chip
Andrew
1994 NAS Defender 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roverenvy View Post
Here's another.
Awesome! It looks great. It's nice how it fits in there.
Old April 29th, 2015, 08:33 PM
Chip
Andrew
1994 NAS Defender 90

Speakers just got here. I asked for grills so they included those too. Isn't that nice?

Old May 7th, 2015, 07:42 AM
atakan
atakan
defender 90 1985 % defender 90 2001

Registry
Hey,
Andrew. really following keenly on your rebuild. rebuilding my first defender ('85 V8 3,5 90) and i am basically waiting to hear what happens with the M54 as i desperately want to go the BMW way, i was satisfied with the M52 but then i stumbled upon this thread
I haven't heard about the engine swap lately on your thread? any updates on that?

regards,
Ak
Old May 7th, 2015, 08:52 AM
down_shift
Russell
94' D90 ST & 06' LR3

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roverenvy View Post
I like my alpine sub. It was a little hard to source as alpine was only selling it in the UK last year when I bought it. Had a custom mount made so it attaches nicely...and in front of the bulkhead bar. So I can still use my badger drop curtain.
That is small. Looks like a CD changer. What is the part number and how does it thump? I am looking for something small and clean as well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Build-up's, Projects & Registry Profiles > Truck Build-up's & Restores

Tags
90, defender, defender 90