Andrew's Defender 90 3.0i Project - Page 12 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Build-up's, Projects & Registry Profiles > Truck Build-up's & Restores

Join the Defender Source Community Today

Old March 5th, 2015, 01:27 PM
Chip
Andrew
1994 NAS Defender 90

NAS car denim retrim kit for the front seats.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 5th, 2015, 01:33 PM
D90Overkill
David Frank
1995 ST #2615

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chip View Post
NAS car denim retrim kit for the front seats.
Denim! You hipster! ;-)

"Denim, like the Jean!" - Bernie Mac (the late and great)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 6th, 2015, 10:17 PM
Chip
Andrew
1994 NAS Defender 90

Well I stumbled upon an original 3rd brake light. It's in really nice condition, but it's missing the bulb sockets. Does anyone know where to get those?

Old March 7th, 2015, 03:46 AM
Chip
Andrew
1994 NAS Defender 90

These should work. Found them on eBay.

Old March 7th, 2015, 01:44 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
Damn I admire your persistence in finding the parts you want/need.

Now when are you going to stop mucking around and finish the conversion?
Old March 7th, 2015, 02:09 PM
Chip
Andrew
1994 NAS Defender 90

Pretty soon.
Old March 7th, 2015, 07:06 PM
rayfi
Derek Moeller

I've got you covered on the bulb sockets.
Old March 8th, 2015, 04:50 AM
D90Overkill
David Frank
1995 ST #2615

Registry
For your fresh new dash!
http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item...d=111602810862
Old March 8th, 2015, 01:41 PM
Chip
Andrew
1994 NAS Defender 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayfi View Post
I've got you covered on the bulb sockets.

Awesome! Thanks!

------ Follow up post added March 8th, 2015 10:44 AM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by D90Overkill View Post
You are correct I don't smoke, but I don't want kids or homeless people climbing into my truck to get coins. I'd rather put them in the ash tray so they are out of sight.
Old March 8th, 2015, 01:46 PM
D90Overkill
David Frank
1995 ST #2615

Registry
Gotcha.
Old March 9th, 2015, 01:58 AM
Chip
Andrew
1994 NAS Defender 90

Thanks though. That was thoughtful. Too bad the coin tray doesn't have a lid.
Old March 9th, 2015, 03:53 AM
D90Overkill
David Frank
1995 ST #2615

Registry
Then it would be an ashtray ;-) Haha. Just sharing what I found as I hadn't seen one before. I think I might get one myself. I'm not a fan of the ashtray lid and would prefer something else. I've even considered having the whole thing recovered with the ashtray cutout filled in and covered over. Clean! Some here have already done it.

But I see your point though. I just have a different philosophy when it comes to soft tops. I expect people to look in to see if there is anything worth taking. Hiding something in plain sight, or the possibility of something of value being obviously obscured in a conventional way, just invites them in. Therefor, all my hiding places are invisible to non-defender owners, thank you Garrison Outfitters, and I leave my ashtray open. But, then again, I don't leave it on the street overnight.
Old April 4th, 2015, 02:51 PM
Chip
Andrew
1994 NAS Defender 90

I got new springs and shocks. The ones on there now are Old Man Emu so I assume it has a little bit of a lift and the springs are so rusty. I just want to restore it to stock. I found the rear Boge shock on rockauto.com marked down to $16 as a closeout special. They only had 1. I found a new old stock LR shock on eBay for the other side. It's STC3941. That part number is superseded by an equivalent part number to the Boge shock, but it's just a tiny bit shorter than the Boge. I hope that'll be okay. I guess I'll put it on the passenger side with the little shorter spring. The fronts are matching new old stock LR shocks. They might be fairly old, although I haven't read anything in particular about the negatives of using old unused shocks. They can always be replaced if needed I guess.

Old April 20th, 2015, 02:25 AM
Chip
Andrew
1994 NAS Defender 90

The right rear corner finisher on my truck is rusty and the part is NLA so I decided to replace it with the 95+ version and convert my tail lights to the round version. So I got the other side as well and also the rear tub panels that have the cutouts for the lights so there would be no guessing on where to make the cutouts for them. The right side panel has cutouts for 3 lights, but isn't it suppose to have only 2? It's a genuine part from Land Rover, part number STC2791. I got the part number from the NAS parts catalogue, so I would assume it's correct. I suppose I'll put an extra back-up light in it as long as it doesn't interfere with the spare wheel carrier.

The front bumper on my truck now isn't in the best shape and the previous owner welded it to the chassis and to the brush guard so I decided to get a new bumper so I can just cut the old bumper off. That why I hadn't taken it off when I pulled the old engine out. Instead of spending a ridiculous amount on a new 93/94 bumper I got the regular version (galvanized). So I'm going to convert the front turn signals to the 95+ units as well. I got the end caps for the bumper too, which I think gives it a nice look.

Old April 20th, 2015, 02:35 AM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
Very nice but it'll confuse a lot of people when you're sighted.
Old April 20th, 2015, 06:17 AM
Willh
Will Hedrick
Use to own NAS #96, #1778, & #1008

Registry
Quote:
The right rear corner finisher on my truck is rusty and the part is NLA so I decided to replace it with the 95+ version and convert my tail lights to the round version. So I got the other side as well and also the rear tub panels that have the cutouts for the lights so there would be no guessing on where to make the cutouts for them. The right side panel has cutouts for 3 lights, but isn't it suppose to have only 2? It's a genuine part from Land Rover, part number STC2791. I got the part number from the NAS parts catalogue, so I would assume it's correct. I suppose I'll put an extra back-up light in it as long as it doesn't interfere with the spare wheel carrier. The front bumper on my truck now isn't in the best shape and the previous owner welded it to the chassis and to the brush guard so I decided to get a new bumper so I can just cut the old bumper off. That why I hadn't taken it off when I pulled the old engine out. Instead of spending a ridiculous amount on a new 93/94 bumper I got the regular version (galvanized). So I'm going to convert the front turn signals to the 95+ units as well. I got the end caps for the bumper too, which I think gives it a nice look.
Andrew,

Rather than converting the front indicator to a '95-'97 NAS bezel, you might want to consider doing the ECR turn signal conversion for a '93-'94 NAS. You simply substitute a 1970's Series III rear brake lamp in place of the lower front marker lamp and then swap out the red lense for an amber lense. The resistance is the same as the turn signal and it will blink just the same without having to take a hole saw to the front of your 90. I did the same on my brother Matt's '94 NAS 90 when I rebuilt it (see thread entitled "#646 prep for paint"). Just a thought, but no worries if you are already committed!

P.S.- in thinking about it, you may also want to look at the solution I came up with for converting the rear to NAS round lamps as well. It's also in the same thread re: #646.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Please feel free to visit my website at:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Willh is the F'n man! Defender of the Defenders! - Overlander
Old April 20th, 2015, 08:39 AM
Joos
Joos
97 Defender 110tdi Hicap

Hi Andrew
isn't the third hole on the right hand side for the Red Fog Guard light.
Regard's
Joos
Old April 20th, 2015, 08:57 AM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Saw an M3 engine in a Range Rover classic two weeks ago and I thought of the project here. What they had done was put obd 1 electronics on the M engine (apparently there is a whole tuner group out there making these setups) and it was running flawlessly. They changed the bell housing and torque converter but retained the classics 4hp22 trans. Very nicely done.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Land Rover Shipment and Importation Service
Bespoke Restoration & Modification work

Old April 20th, 2015, 09:12 AM
JSBriggs
Site Team

Quote:

WD-40 is your friend to get those stickers off without damage/scratches.

-Jeff
Old April 20th, 2015, 02:55 PM
Chip
Andrew
1994 NAS Defender 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willh View Post
Andrew,

Rather than converting the front indicator to a '95-'97 NAS bezel, you might want to consider doing the ECR turn signal conversion for a '93-'94 NAS. You simply substitute a 1970's Series III rear brake lamp in place of the lower front marker lamp and then swap out the red lense for an amber lense. The resistance is the same as the turn signal and it will blink just the same without having to take a hole saw to the front of your 90. I did the same on my brother Matt's '94 NAS 90 when I rebuilt it (see thread entitled "#646 prep for paint"). Just a thought, but no worries if you are already committed!

P.S.- in thinking about it, you may also want to look at the solution I came up with for converting the rear to NAS round lamps as well. It's also in the same thread re: #646.
It's okay. I'll just stick with what I'm doing. I think it'll turn out nice. Based on my VIN my truck doesn't have the rear tubes that would get in the way of the tail lights.

------ Follow up post added April 20th, 2015 11:58 AM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joos View Post
Hi Andrew
isn't the third hole on the right hand side for the Red Fog Guard light.
Regard's
Joos
Hey Joos,

Yes, I think you're right, although I've never seen a NAS truck with a rear fog light. Rovers North does list them on their website for NAS trucks though. I think it'll add a bit of safety if I install a second back-up light there because the one on the left could be difficult to see from the right of the vehicle with the spare wheel blocking it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Build-up's, Projects & Registry Profiles > Truck Build-up's & Restores

Tags
90, defender, defender 90