Alaska D110 Build for expo use - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Build-up's, Projects & Registry Profiles > Truck Build-up's & Restores

Old February 3rd, 2014, 08:50 PM
aka rover
ed angel
95 D90

Registry
Alaska D110 Build for expo use

Hey guys thought I would start a build thread for the 110 and try and Get it ready for May time frame.

It is a 85 EX MOD three door 3.5 v8 lt77 sals rear . Up grades to include 4.2 injected V8 r380 ARBs front and rear, 3" lift and 35" tires .

The suspension is up in the air at this point ? I have a safari gard 3 link laying around as well as some RTE stuff. It has a ARB bumper will get an 8274 winch and LED lighting from KC .

Most of the work will be turning the inside into a camper and creating a minimalist list of spares and gear . Don't want to run a roof rack on this one and keep the weight low so I can run the larger tires needed for Alaska type wheeling.

I'm open to ideas and suggestions so don't be afraid to speak up share your ideas or experiences . Im looking at a rig that will move down the highway at 65 and have the power to turn the 35" tires in the mud and on long hill climbs. Would love to go diesel but not in the cards at this time .

As it sits now with no roof rack
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	005.jpg
Views:	629
Size:	58.8 KB
ID:	89148  
67 NADA diesel tremec 4spd salisbury rear springs on front and a LOT MORE TO GO.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 16th, 2014, 02:19 AM
aka rover
ed angel
95 D90

Registry
Well started tearing into the 110 , Founds lower bulkhead rust from carpet holding moister . Ordering floors from Northwest Defenders as well of a few other odds and ends .
The trans is an LT85 and the Tcase is a 1.667 Ratio so will be good for what I have in mind .

Name:	image-41403077.jpg
Views:	522
Size:	89.7 KB
ID:	89756

Name:	image-4094964218.jpg
Views:	548
Size:	110.5 KB
ID:	89757

Name:	image-2078598069.jpg
Views:	525
Size:	78.6 KB
ID:	89758

Name:	image-4057888770.jpg
Views:	546
Size:	104.2 KB
ID:	89759
67 NADA diesel tremec 4spd salisbury rear springs on front and a LOT MORE TO GO.

Old February 16th, 2014, 07:36 AM
woldd90
Scott
1997 D90 ST #1444
Site Team

Looks like a great truck...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 16th, 2014, 08:31 PM
Alaskantinbender
jim
63 series 2A 109 3 door

Registry
Sounds like a terrific build.
I like all your stated goals for the build. It will be great to watch it develop.
My ideas run along the low tech and simple approach much like the old VW camper interiors. We spent a lot of time in an old 64 split window years ago. Lots of storage space and minimal gadgets. Mid bed layout, basic ice box, portable toilet and no pop top. The kitchen was in the rear over over the engine bay with the rear hatch acting as a rain fly.

Keep the pictures coming
Old February 16th, 2014, 08:42 PM
Overlander
mark kellgren
in between D's in an 04 D2

Registry
great build! congrats and thanks for sharing. I'm going to highly recommend the RTE (safariguard) 3" front progressive coils. I could not imagine anything better. I'm 100% satisfied with them and their on-off road performance.

ISIL and al qaeda can go F*ck themselves...
Old February 17th, 2014, 01:08 AM
aka rover
ed angel
95 D90

Registry
Jim

The interior will be basic and will focus on keeping the weight down to a minimum . The end goal is a larger Version of my D90 . I want to be able to get out on long range outings and still drive the highways with ease .

Mark

Thanks for the tip on the 3" coils that's the route I'll take . Checked out your registry and your NAS is incredible . I really like the look , is that 255/85/16 tires ? Good job and very nicely laid out . Ed

Old February 17th, 2014, 08:23 AM
Overlander
mark kellgren
in between D's in an 04 D2

Registry
Thanks Ed. My rear springs are OME as well as all the shocks, which are longer than standard. it was a matched package by RTE. I can get you the specs. yes on tire size

ISIL and al qaeda can go F*ck themselves...
Old February 18th, 2014, 10:07 AM
spanto
peter
None

Great plans. I look forward to see what comes of it.

Anyone have a link to safarigard website? I can't find there stuff
Old February 18th, 2014, 02:02 PM
aka rover
ed angel
95 D90

Registry
Safari gard has been out of business for awhile now . I just happen to have one that I have been hoarding for many years ;-) . This one was custom built by safari With longer upper and lower arms to push axle forward for larger tires . Minor amount forward , thinking it was 1-1.5" .

Old February 18th, 2014, 05:04 PM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
With my current 110 expo build I am having a bit of heartburn over whether I should be running 35s with a 5" lift, or drop it down a bit in height. My goal is like you, 65mph on the highway and still be safe. My last 110 I accomplished this, but now I will be carrying a family of 5 and my intent is traveling longer distances.

Semper Fi!
Old February 18th, 2014, 05:12 PM
don
Don Bunnell
'86 110 3dr ST

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf Fabrication View Post
With my current 110 expo build I am having a bit of heartburn over whether I should be running 35s with a 5" lift, or drop it down a bit in height. My goal is like you, 65mph on the highway and still be safe. My last 110 I accomplished this, but now I will be carrying a family of 5 and my intent is traveling longer distances.
Is 5" of lift necessary for running 35's on a 110? I am building my 110 with the same lift amount as I had on my 90 (about 2") and was thinking it would be fine (just trim fender flares and longer bumpstops).
Old February 18th, 2014, 06:08 PM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by don View Post
Is 5" of lift necessary for running 35's on a 110? I am building my 110 with the same lift amount as I had on my 90 (about 2") and was thinking it would be fine (just trim fender flares and longer bumpstops).
5" isn't necessary, but to me it looks better than trying to stuff 35s under the fenders with a 2" lift.

I was actually running 315/85s on my old 110, so about 34.5" tires and a roughly 4.5" lift. The stance was perfect and I never rubbed. I also didn't want to trim flares, and don't want to on my new build. On my new build, I am running some trick suspension parts from Qt (rose jointed rear links, relocating the shock mounts front and rear, and using a rose jointed rear a-arm fitting vice the ball joint). So I will have a lot more flex. With the weight of the truck the lift will likely end up shy of 5" anyway. I still plan on running 315/85s too.

Semper Fi!
Old February 18th, 2014, 07:01 PM
Ash
Ash Heller
OM606 110 Frankenstein
D-90 Source Vendor

Quote:
5" isn't necessary, but to me it looks better than trying to stuff 35s under the fenders with a 2" lift.

I was actually running 315/85s on my old 110, so about 34.5" tires and a roughly 4.5" lift. The stance was perfect and I never rubbed. I also didn't want to trim flares, and don't want to on my new build. On my new build, I am running some trick suspension parts from Qt (rose jointed rear links, relocating the shock mounts front and rear, and using a rose jointed rear a-arm fitting vice the ball joint). So I will have a lot more flex. With the weight of the truck the lift will likely end up shy of 5" anyway. I still plan on running 315/85s too.

Out of curiosity, why the heim jointed upper link on the axle? If I recall correctly, the stock ball joint has something like 33-degrees of misalignment, and I would expect your shocks (12" travel?) to bottom before the ball joint limits you. Although if you're pushing the axle back it's nice to have the threaded shank to set your pinion.

I really wish there was a wider range of 35x10.5 options over here. The radial SSR's aren't terrible on the street, but compared to a KM2 or MT/R they leave a lot to be desired.

-Ash

352-572-3236

Old February 18th, 2014, 08:00 PM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ash View Post
Out of curiosity, why the heim jointed upper link on the axle? If I recall correctly, the stock ball joint has something like 33-degrees of misalignment, and I would expect your shocks (12" travel?) to bottom before the ball joint limits you. Although if you're pushing the axle back it's nice to have the threaded shank to set your pinion.

-Ash
Movement range, adjustability, and ease of servicing and replacement. I am looking at closer to 45 degrees with the relocated rear shocks.

Semper Fi!
Old February 18th, 2014, 08:16 PM
don
Don Bunnell
'86 110 3dr ST

Registry
Quote:

Your old rig had a nice stance. I was happy with the 2" lift/35" tire combo on my 90. I know it stinks to cut the fender flares but mine weren't in the best of shape and not the end of the world. It's also a little easier to get in and out of the drivers seat and I hope I can still squeeze into my garage like my 90 did.

The suspension setup sounds trick! Can't wait to see more of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ash View Post

I really wish there was a wider range of 35x10.5 options over here. The radial SSR's aren't terrible on the street, but compared to a KM2 or MT/R they leave a lot to be desired.

-Ash

I was just going to say I wish there were more skinny 35' tires. The SSR is nice but when I priced the 35x10.5's I think it was close to $100 per tire more expensive, kinda hard to get (at least compared to the KM2 or MTR/K) and are 10 lbs more weight per corner.
Old February 18th, 2014, 08:42 PM
TDI Guy
Randy
2015 LR4
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
3" springs from rym with 315/75/16 are a perfect setup in my opinion.

Let's see pics of these rear links
Old February 18th, 2014, 11:45 PM
aka rover
ed angel
95 D90

Registry
Quote:

I have been playing with lift heights and a 35" tire and have to say to get the look I want the 110 will need 4-4.5" of lift . I'm really interested in your suspension setup on your current build . Im trying to get my build done in just a couple of months so parts availability and funds will be the big issue. You moving your shocks on the lower arms ? I have done this in the past with good results and gain travel . I have a ton of ideas with time being my limiting factor right now. Any suggestions you have please let me know .

Im getting quotes on roll cages now. looking at Performance Products and Safety Devices, I have a pro bender but again much not time. Where you happy with the X-engineering rear arms on your old 110 ? I have some RTE rears for now but thinking about going with longer rear arms . Was thinking of going with rubicon express rear lower control arms in rear with custom frame mounts . Just need to do the math and see how much pinion angle changes will be under full drop out if jumped .

Old February 18th, 2014, 11:57 PM
aka rover
ed angel
95 D90

Registry
This is the stance I keep going back to
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	110 stance.jpg
Views:	1370
Size:	22.1 KB
ID:	89975   Click image for larger version

Name:	the 110.jpg
Views:	440
Size:	12.0 KB
ID:	89976  

Old February 19th, 2014, 12:21 AM
SonnyAK
Sonny
1993 NAS 110

Registry
I like that stance a lot! Looks like it'd be a fun rig!
Old February 19th, 2014, 02:03 AM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by aka rover View Post
This is the stance I keep going back to
That looks like 35s and 4-5" of lift. Looks perfect. ------ Follow up post added February 19th, 2014 04:10 PM ------
Quote:
Originally Posted by aka rover View Post
I have been playing with lift heights and a 35" tire and have to say to get the look I want the 110 will need 4-4.5" of lift . I'm really interested in your suspension setup on your current build . Im trying to get my build done in just a couple of months so parts availability and funds will be the big issue. You moving your shocks on the lower arms ? I have done this in the past with good results and gain travel . I have a ton of ideas with time being my limiting factor right now. Any suggestions you have please let me know . Im getting quotes on roll cages now. looking at Performance Products and Safety Devices, I have a pro bender but again much not time. Where you happy with the X-engineering rear arms on your old 110 ? I have some RTE rears for now but thinking about going with longer rear arms . Was thinking of going with rubicon express rear lower control arms in rear with custom frame mounts . Just need to do the math and see how much pinion angle changes will be under full drop out if jumped .
Rear axle lower shock mounts stay, the upper gets moved inboard of the frame and lean in toward the center. The front shocks move outside the springs. I liked the X-Eng rear links. They would be better if they were cranked and I think Si was changing the design. The ball joint is interesting, but all the pieces are proprietary so long term service could be an issue. Thus I went heim joint on the new build.

Semper Fi!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Build-up's, Projects & Registry Profiles > Truck Build-up's & Restores

Tags
110, d110