Alaska D110 Build for expo use - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Build-up's, Projects & Registry Profiles > Truck Build-up's & Restores

Old February 19th, 2014, 03:11 AM
aka rover
ed angel
95 D90

Registry
Nice can you get pics of the rear shock setup ? Sounds like a nice setup.
67 NADA diesel tremec 4spd salisbury rear springs on front and a LOT MORE TO GO.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 19th, 2014, 04:29 AM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by aka rover View Post
Nice can you get pics of the rear shock setup ? Sounds like a nice setup.
Here are some extremely random pics. The first 5 were sent to me from Qt and show the various parts. The last one is my cobbled together suspension:

Rear: Qt heim jointed rear links and shock relocation brackets. 3" TF HD springs (I actually LOVE these springs and prefer them). Qt heim jointed A Arm bracket. COR4 2" spring spacers/relocation ramps.

Front: Qt shock relocation brackets to move shocks outside the springs. Qt castor corrected arms. L8 5" springs.

Shocks will be FOX remote reservoir 12" or 14". I won't decide until the truck is complete and leveled out.

Hopefully I'll have some pics of this stuff on the rolling chassis in the next few days.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	239
Size:	65.3 KB
ID:	89982   Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	213
Size:	42.2 KB
ID:	89983  

Name:	3.jpg
Views:	218
Size:	44.1 KB
ID:	89984   Click image for larger version

Name:	4.jpg
Views:	215
Size:	31.5 KB
ID:	89985  

Name:	5.jpg
Views:	216
Size:	19.3 KB
ID:	89986   Click image for larger version

Name:	6.jpg
Views:	221
Size:	87.6 KB
ID:	89987  

Semper Fi!
Old February 19th, 2014, 05:19 PM
Ash
Ash Heller
OM606 110 Frankenstein
D-90 Source Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf Fabrication View Post
Here are some extremely random pics. The first 5 were sent to me from Qt and show the various parts. The last one is my cobbled together suspension:

Rear: Qt heim jointed rear links and shock relocation brackets. 3" TF HD springs (I actually LOVE these springs and prefer them). Qt heim jointed A Arm bracket. COR4 2" spring spacers/relocation ramps.

Front: Qt shock relocation brackets to move shocks outside the springs. Qt castor corrected arms. L8 5" springs.

Shocks will be FOX remote reservoir 12" or 14". I won't decide until the truck is complete and leveled out.

Hopefully I'll have some pics of this stuff on the rolling chassis in the next few days.

Interesting. Have you come up with any valving numbers yet? With the shocks so far inboard and at those angles I'd expect to have to run them a fair bit stiffer than a traditional setup.

352-572-3236

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 19th, 2014, 05:36 PM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ash View Post
Interesting. Have you come up with any valving numbers yet? With the shocks so far inboard and at those angles I'd expect to have to run them a fair bit stiffer than a traditional setup.
Not yet, but I prefer a stiffer ride [insert joke here]

Semper Fi!
Old February 19th, 2014, 06:03 PM
aka rover
ed angel
95 D90

Registry
Thanks for posting up the pics, the new angle isn't all that different than a lot of US trucks . I to prefer a stiffer ride , the truck seems more predictable as speeds with a firmer suspension. My current shocks on my 90 are 400/100 and I love how they feel at speed .
67 NADA diesel tremec 4spd salisbury rear springs on front and a LOT MORE TO GO.

Old February 19th, 2014, 06:22 PM
Ash
Ash Heller
OM606 110 Frankenstein
D-90 Source Vendor

Quote:
Not yet, but I prefer a stiffer ride [insert joke here]
Cool, I'm interested to see how that ends up working. I've been toying around with a few non-traditional ideas myself to combat the poor ride quality and body roll inherent with a lot of these setups.

352-572-3236

Old February 19th, 2014, 07:00 PM
Z.G
Zack
300Tdi 95 D1

Registry
What springs are you referring to as TF 3"? Do you mean the HD 2"?
Old February 19th, 2014, 07:07 PM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z.G View Post
What springs are you referring to as TF 3"? Do you mean the HD 2"?
You are correct, TerraFirma 2". The HD ones seem to give a bit more lift depending on the weight of your truck.

------ Follow up post added February 20th, 2014 09:09 AM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ash View Post
Cool, I'm interested to see how that ends up working. I've been toying around with a few non-traditional ideas myself to combat the poor ride quality and body roll inherent with a lot of these setups.
I fought body roll for a long time in my 110. I cured it with stiffer springs (TF), better shock valving, and a X-Eng rear X-Dflex sway bar. The truck took sharp exit ramps off the highway like NASCAR.

Semper Fi!
Old February 19th, 2014, 08:42 PM
TDI Guy
Randy
2015 LR4
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Wolf, I can't wait to see this stuff installed
Old February 19th, 2014, 09:26 PM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by TDI Guy View Post
Wolf, I can't wait to see this stuff installed
Me too, any day now.

Semper Fi!
Old February 19th, 2014, 10:19 PM
RiftRover
Mike Barnett

[QUOTE="Wolf Fabrication;509117"]

Front: Qt shock relocation brackets to move shocks outside the springs.

Do they sell these separately from their kits? If so, where did you get them? I've been wanting to get a set of these for awhile...
Old February 20th, 2014, 01:36 AM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Yes. Call L8

Semper Fi!
Old February 20th, 2014, 01:53 PM
aka rover
ed angel
95 D90

Registry
The 3.5 is out . Now to clean and prep for the 4.2 .

Name:	image-609084414.jpg
Views:	295
Size:	94.8 KB
ID:	90068

Old February 20th, 2014, 02:23 PM
chris snell
Chris Snell
87 Ex-MOD 110

Help me understand, guys: what's up with the enthusiasm for 35" tires and 5" lifts for an "expedition" truck? That's a huge, huge setup for a Defender. That's how you'd set your truck up for rock crawling at the off-road park. Add a RTT on the roof and a bunch of heavy Pelican cases in the back and you're dangerously top-heavy. For long distance overlanding, you generally want to shoot for something that's as close to stock as you can get and super-reliable. Super-reliable to me means:

No dual cardan driveshafts. They always blow up at the worst of times, usually on a long trip and in the worst circumstances:

Super-reliable also means spare suspension components that I can share with every other truck in my group:

I think it's a myth that you need an incredibly built truck to do an "expedition". I ran our last Utah trip in my completely stock 110: 7.50 XZLs, no lift, no lockers, crusty old MOD-spec shocks. 1,200 miles mostly off-road in Southern Utah and the truck did fine. I was rolling with a bunch of Discos with 3"+ lifts, HD axles, fully locked, etc., but we never once ran into anything that I couldn't make it through with careful driving. The stock Defender is an amazing 4WD vehicle!

Can someone explain the whole 5" lift + RTT + trailer thing to me?

/
/
/
/
Old February 20th, 2014, 02:43 PM
aka rover
ed angel
95 D90

Registry
Your correct you don't need a large built rig for Expo type over landing. But the places I see in Alaska and the type of back country I'm looking at visiting 33" tires just don't cut it . My D90 is but on 5" lift and 37" tires and drives great at freeway speeds . But I want to go out longer and into the woods deeper . I won't have a RTT I will be sleeping in the back ,away from the brown bears :-) . So my current build is going to be able to handle the places I want to go with the ability to cruise at 65 to get there .

Yes this build is a little different than the cookie cutter expo builds but it will be self sufficient and take me where I want to go . As far as CV joints go I have never broke one ? And I have traveled around Australia and through the Rainforest's of Malaysia with them in some pretty extreme situations . If your suspension is set up right you'll be fine with them . Yes I know more moving parts means more to break .
Here's my D90 most of you will hate it but it's purpose built for this area . It's on 37s .

Name:	image-3671838152.jpg
Views:	338
Size:	98.7 KB
ID:	90069

And here's a poor pic of my old jeep on 36" tires crossing one of about 20 crossings to get to some of my favorite remote areas Alaska has to offer .

Name:   image-707954186.jpg
Views: 561
Size:  19.8 KB

So that's my .02 on big Goofy Rigs :-)

Old February 20th, 2014, 03:41 PM
Overlander
mark kellgren
in between D's in an 04 D2

Registry
Those look good for the terrain your in. Those are tiny compared to the rubber they put on arctic trucks. For purpose built, there is no such thing as lame. It's the posers that put big tires on their trucks for the looks, with no intention of using them in the correct environment that will attract disdain.

ISIL and al qaeda can go F*ck themselves...
Old February 20th, 2014, 04:19 PM
Bill Larson
Bill Larson
97 D90 SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overlander View Post
Those look good for the terrain your in. Those are tiny compared to the rubber they put on arctic trucks. For purpose built, there is no such thing as lame. It's the posers that put big tires on their trucks for the looks, with no intention of using them in the correct environment that will attract disdain.
I personally take offense to that remark...(hater)...

------ Follow up post added February 20th, 2014 03:22 PM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris snell View Post
I think it's a myth that you need an incredibly built truck to do an "expedition".
It's the resolve of the man and the machine that finishes the expedition!
Old February 20th, 2014, 04:23 PM
Z.G
Zack
300Tdi 95 D1

Registry
Quote:
You are correct, TerraFirma 2". The HD ones seem to give a bit more lift depending on the weight of your truck.
That you are correct, they are a taller lift than the RTE 3" MD
Old February 20th, 2014, 04:55 PM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Nevermind

Semper Fi!
Old February 20th, 2014, 06:52 PM
myoverlandrover
josh

I think the key here is the word "expedition" as to each its something different that requires a completely different setup.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Build-up's, Projects & Registry Profiles > Truck Build-up's & Restores

Tags
110, d110