A new start 110 CSW from the Netherlands - Page 4 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Build-up's, Projects & Registry Profiles > Truck Build-up's & Restores

Old September 16th, 2016, 03:05 PM
Wilboro
William Ficner
1997 110 csw

Registry
Tub back from paint!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 16th, 2016, 05:22 PM
CDN38
Scott Pelly
2000 110 TD5

Registry
Brilliant!

I especially like the cut out in the tub floor for the fuel pump access.

Old September 17th, 2016, 11:37 AM
Wilboro
William Ficner
1997 110 csw

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDN38 View Post
Brilliant!

I especially like the cut out in the tub floor for the fuel pump access.

Thanks! hopefully I won't need to use it anytime soon.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 20th, 2016, 05:35 PM
Wilboro
William Ficner
1997 110 csw

Registry
Moving along more quickly now that the fabrication is all done.

Rear sides, t posts, and windscreen bolted on loosely. Oh and holes for rear crossmember drilled in the tub.

Was really worried the t posts would be a serious pain, but went in ok. Bulkhead needs a bit of adjusting back though.

Need to get the roof off to paint, but need to decide on chawton white, Fuji or alpine.

Old November 13th, 2016, 09:26 PM
Wilboro
William Ficner
1997 110 csw

Registry
I gave it my all to try and finish this truck before Christmas, but it's not to be. Body alignment took much longer than expected and now it looks as though there may be a second head gasket leak. ARRGGGHH

Anyhow here's a progress report.

Glass is all in I did get the guys who cut my windshield come and do the install, and for a couple of bucks I'm glad I did as they had a hell of a time getting it in.

The rest of the widows I got in with my dad acting as a second set of hands. The alpines and rear quarter windows were tedious but the toughest window was the safari door (newer pressed style) with a single gasket around the glass. The rope I used wasn't ideal and would have been much better with a handle to tug on, but it's in.

Then the arduous process of reassembling the doors I took apart
A long time ago after being painted. Added some extra sound deadening for good measure.

After previously doing a rough panel alignment with string I thought I would be kind of in the clear, but once the doors were bolted on it was pretty obvious that wasn't the case. One of the top corners of the bulkhead was too far forward (perhaps distorted in galvanizing) and I had to winch it back, anchoring a ring through the hinge hole.
The next evident problem with with the t post's they weren't sitting flush against the rear tub panels, turns out the thicker floor I put in was casing this. So t-posts out bend flanges put them back in. In fact I think those t-posts came out for adjustments maybe 4- 5times. Oh and of course the doors were coming on and off each time.
The other really annoying thing about the t-posts (I had bought new ones and galvanized) was the version I got must have been for an older truck with lift style handles and I had to drill new holes for the door strikers. That wouldn't have been too big a deal except there is a reinforcing structure right behind the hole you need to drill in the B pillar. This had to be chiseled out of the way to allow the striker backing plate to fit in.

Finally I got through all that struggle and now everything is lining up pretty well, not perfect but pretty darn good.
The new disco2 seats bolted in nicely, thank god I didn't screw that all up after the amount of work to make it happen.

New Double S exhaust arrived and although it didn't have a rolled tip as I had been assured it would be, at least in went in nicely.

Once the exhaust went in though that's went I started getting having alarm bells. The exhaust seemed to have more smoke than I remembered, and when at higher rev's and right before the boost exhausted a lot of whiteish smoke. I've had a good look over everything and it looks to me like I'm getting some small bubbles in the coolant tank while it runs I'm fearing the worst and will have to do some more in depth tests. When I first got the truck it had a headgasket leak on the back of the 4th cylinder, it was a I believe skimmed and got a new gasket, but with less thank 5K since that headgasket I'm not feeling too good at this point.
Finding the setbacks are putting a damper on motivation.

Old November 14th, 2016, 07:09 AM
1of40
1of40
NAS 97SW & 83 One Ten Tdi

Registry
Wow, great work/beautiful truck. The middle seats look like a great fit.

Old November 14th, 2016, 08:32 AM
Wilboro
William Ficner
1997 110 csw

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1of40 View Post
Wow, great work/beautiful truck. The middle seats look like a great fit.

Thanks! The seats are a pretty good fit the only small niggle is when folding them it's best to have the doors open otherwise the second row door handle gets in the way during the fold. Not sure if the puma doors I'm using are slightly wider than the originals, not really a big deal but worth noting.

Old November 14th, 2016, 09:08 AM
4RF RDS
Kevin
2000 110 XS CSW

Registry
Nice progress Will, crappy about the motor. Now I know why you want the compression gauge! Don't give up, its so worth it once its all sorted. On another note, I noticed in one of the pics a sticker still on the rear resonator. Worth removing. When it burns off the adhesive can create an acid and help to prematurely corrode the SS. It will wear out in a decade or so but why hasten it?

Keep up the awesome work.
Old November 14th, 2016, 09:29 AM
The Dro
Dro
1988 Ninety

Registry
OMG This truck will be great.

Great job

Old November 14th, 2016, 09:46 AM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilboro View Post
Thanks! The seats are a pretty good fit the only small niggle is when folding them it's best to have the doors open otherwise the second row door handle gets in the way during the fold. Not sure if the puma doors I'm using are slightly wider than the originals, not really a big deal but worth noting.

I have a d2 2nd row seat here I intend to put in my 110. Others have notched the rear wheel arches to make these work but it doesn't look like you had to ?

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

Old November 14th, 2016, 09:58 AM
Wilboro
William Ficner
1997 110 csw

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Douglas View Post
I have a d2 2nd row seat here I intend to put in my 110. Others have notched the rear wheel arches to make these work but it doesn't look like you had to ?
Oh yes they're notched. If you look back at post #56 you'll see it.
These notches may not be quite as big as some others have done as I did the bare minimum. I didn't go all the way to the floor and I mounted the seats forward on brackets which meant I didn't have to cut back quite as far either. I even did the cuts on an angle instead of completely vertical.
Old November 14th, 2016, 03:46 PM
Sandy Landy
RCer
97 Defender 110 300TDI S

Will, after seeing one of the best 110 restorations and upgrades, it makes me feel useless posting anything about mine LOL

You are amazing with tons of talent, I am guessing you own a very good shop there in Ottawa and have been working on vehicles a long time. Do you have a business there?

Very nice to see yet another great landy in Canada, one of the best jobs I have ever seen done on a Landy in a long time.

Love the personalized plate too, very cool

Cheers.
2004 BMW Japan Spec 4.4L V8 X5
2003 BMW Euro Spec 325IC 2.5L Convertible
Old November 14th, 2016, 04:57 PM
Wilboro
William Ficner
1997 110 csw

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy Landy View Post
Will, after seeing one of the best 110 restorations and upgrades, it makes me feel useless posting anything about mine LOL

You are amazing with tons of talent, I am guessing you own a very good shop there in Ottawa and have been working on vehicles a long time. Do you have a business there?

Very nice to see yet another great landy in Canada, one of the best jobs I have ever seen done on a Landy in a long time.

Love the personalized plate too, very cool

Cheers.

Wow quite the compliment, thank you! although not sure I'm at quite the same level as some of the work on this site.

I don't actually have any background with cars or trucks this is the first one I've done more than change the oil on.... and while I do run my own business it has nothing to do with Rovers.

I kind of jumped into this project with both feet and promptly caught shipfitters disease.

I do have a bit of fabricating experience that I've picked up over the years which has helped out.

That being said I've made my share of mistakes and had to redo things as I've learned....

Old November 14th, 2016, 05:12 PM
Sandy Landy
RCer
97 Defender 110 300TDI S

Quote:
Wow quite the compliment, thank you! although not sure I'm at quite the same level as some of the work on this site.

I don't actually have any background with cars or trucks this is the first one I've done more than change the oil on.... and while I do run my own business it has nothing to do with Rovers.
Well if you have had no prior experience with vehicle restoration, nor mechanical or electrical background and this is your first, you need to change businesses

This is simply a huge undertaking and I could image what a 2nd or 3rd project will be like. I can appreciate your work and there is a reason why

What do you do as a business if you dont mind and there is a reason I am asking that too lol.

You have one of the finest Landys, I am happy for you, well done and thats fantastic work Bud.

Cheers.
Old November 14th, 2016, 05:19 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Oh yes they're notched. If you look back at post #56 you'll see it.
These notches may not be quite as big as some others have done as I did the bare minimum. I didn't go all the way to the floor and I mounted the seats forward on brackets which meant I didn't have to cut back quite as far either. I even did the cuts on an angle instead of completely vertical.
Wow. Went back and read that part of your thread. You completely rebuilt the rear tub.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

Old November 14th, 2016, 05:34 PM
Wilboro
William Ficner
1997 110 csw

Registry
Quote:
Well if you have had no prior experience with vehicle restoration, nor mechanical or electrical background and this is your first, you need to change businesses

This is simply a huge undertaking and I could image what a 2nd or 3rd project will be like. I can appreciate your work and there is a reason why

What do you do as a business if you dont mind and there is a reason I am asking that too lol.

You have one of the finest Landys, I am happy for you, well done and thats fantastic work Bud.

Cheers.

Well I've become a silent partner in my first business, a bicycle shop and frame manufacturing business my friend and I started 10 years ago, and now run a small workshop that primarily produces leather goods.

------ Follow up post added November 14th, 2016 06:36 PM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Douglas View Post
Wow. Went back and read that part of your thread. You completely rebuilt the rear tub.

Yes, it was an involved process... thankfully it all fit back together.

Old November 14th, 2016, 06:13 PM
Sandy Landy
RCer
97 Defender 110 300TDI S

Oh thats cool Will, well I am actually from Ottawa too, thats why I was asking.
I had a Euro car performance shop in Ottawa up to 2013, but now on a Canadian Diplomatic Mission in the Caribbean. I thought I might have known you or your business. I was biking a bit there, a full carbon fiber race bike which I brought to the Caribbean with me.

I am in and out of Ottawa a bit, do miss home but not now..not between November and April
I would like to ship my Landy back home next year or 2018, I am hoping I dont run into issues since it will be shipped under our Gvt mission service contact abroad.

I have changed the head during my rebuild, as the original one was a bit tired and thats about its only major serial number change on anything.
Aesthetically it is modified but don't think I will have an issue with that. I think if I was importing it while there it might have been a different issue but since its one of our mission vehicles, I am hoping I wont have hangups.
I will ship it with the original head still boxed as proof that the engine was all original.

There used to be a defender laid up just off of Baseline, on the left where Lone Star is, dont know if its still there, you might want to check that out.
I also have a friend who was British but lived in Canada most his life. He had a series, but still has a Triumph Spitfire, an MGB, and MGA among quite a few vintage British cars, a good guy to know. I am guessing you are in the Ottawa Land Rovers club.
I gave away a TR6 I had in Ottawa a few months ago BTW, I used to go to their club.

Dont know what you used for a clutch, but the guys at Bully Clutch are amazing, they built all my clutches for performance, racing and street, I will get them to do one for my Landy when I get there.

Happy to know you are in our great Capital too, I have a US phone number here, dont know if you will need any spares from here that you cant find in the US or Canuck land.

The military still use Defenders here, mostly TD5s, lots of defenders were sold here and still in use as daily drivers and service work. There are a few places here with used 300tdi parts..let me know if you need anything.

Cheers Bud and I hope on my next visit, I will be able to meet you and see your amazing 110.
Old November 14th, 2016, 08:50 PM
Wilboro
William Ficner
1997 110 csw

Registry
Quote:
Oh thats cool Will, well I am actually from Ottawa too, thats why I was asking.
I had a Euro car performance shop in Ottawa up to 2013, but now on a Canadian Diplomatic Mission in the Caribbean. I thought I might have known you or your business. I was biking a bit there, a full carbon fiber race bike which I brought to the Caribbean with me.

I am in and out of Ottawa a bit, do miss home but not now..not between November and April
I would like to ship my Landy back home next year or 2018, I am hoping I dont run into issues since it will be shipped under our Gvt mission service contact abroad.

I have changed the head during my rebuild, as the original one was a bit tired and thats about its only major serial number change on anything.
Aesthetically it is modified but don't think I will have an issue with that. I think if I was importing it while there it might have been a different issue but since its one of our mission vehicles, I am hoping I wont have hangups.
I will ship it with the original head still boxed as proof that the engine was all original.

There used to be a defender laid up just off of Baseline, on the left where Lone Star is, dont know if its still there, you might want to check that out.
I also have a friend who was British but lived in Canada most his life. He had a series, but still has a Triumph Spitfire, an MGB, and MGA among quite a few vintage British cars, a good guy to know. I am guessing you are in the Ottawa Land Rovers club.
I gave away a TR6 I had in Ottawa a few months ago BTW, I used to go to their club.

Dont know what you used for a clutch, but the guys at Bully Clutch are amazing, they built all my clutches for performance, racing and street, I will get them to do one for my Landy when I get there.

Happy to know you are in our great Capital too, I have a US phone number here, dont know if you will need any spares from here that you cant find in the US or Canuck land.

The military still use Defenders here, mostly TD5s, lots of defenders were sold here and still in use as daily drivers and service work. There are a few places here with used 300tdi parts..let me know if you need anything.

Cheers Bud and I hope on my next visit, I will be able to meet you and see your amazing 110.

Thanks for all the info and the offer on parts!
Yes I'm pretty involved with OVLR, in fact I'm the chairperson currently.

I'll have to scope out that baseline area, I drive by there and fair bit and haven't seen it yet.

If you're bringing your truck back to Canada I highly doubt you'll have any problem with a none original head. Fully restored/rebuilt trucks show up all the time, not to mention the odd Puma (obviously 15yrs old). The only thing that seems to happen from time to time is not fully cleaned vehicles being pulled by Agri Can. But better safe than sorry I guess.

Will

Old November 14th, 2016, 10:38 PM
Wilboro
William Ficner
1997 110 csw

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4RF RDS View Post
Nice progress Will, crappy about the motor. Now I know why you want the compression gauge! Don't give up, its so worth it once its all sorted. On another note, I noticed in one of the pics a sticker still on the rear resonator. Worth removing. When it burns off the adhesive can create an acid and help to prematurely corrode the SS. It will wear out in a decade or so but why hasten it?

Keep up the awesome work.

Thanks Kevin, after some more stewing I'll have to do some testing to see how bad this is going for be.... I'll get those stickers off as you suggest

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dro View Post
OMG This truck will be great.

Great job

Thanks, helps get the motivation back on track.

Old November 14th, 2016, 11:35 PM
Sandy Landy
RCer
97 Defender 110 300TDI S

Will I was so excited about your build that I did not read all the posts, was looking at all the pics, sorry to learn about your head gasket blowing again.

If you are seeing bubbles in the expansion tank and white smoke out the exhaust, its indicative that the gasket is blown between one of the coolant ports and exhaust valves.

Are you using the OE composite gasket or the OE MLS gasket? If you are using the MLS type, both the deck of the block and the head has to be perfectly flat, if not these will blow easily. I would also use the copper spray on head gasket sealant we use for all or FI engine builds. You will see the cooper spray sealant on my engine build, the MLS HG I used is nearly 1/4 thick.

You have to check your piston protrusion too, purchase the correct thickness head gasket, there are 4 different thicknesses. I bought the thickest one, no holes, there are holes on the gasket which indicates its thickness, the ones with no holes are the thickest.

If nothing changes or the issue gets worse, I would highly recommend that you take the head off and take it to Hosie and Brown machine shop in the East end, Jeff is the manager/tech and one of the greatest guys you can meet.

They did all of the heads for our FI and race engine builds and we never ever had a single issue. They give you a perfect finish too, one of the finest cuts, the pics I attached shows a head they did for me. They will also check for any signs of warpage or any other issues, the head gasket going so fast again with no overheating is not normal as you know.

They will install valve guides, seals, grind/seat the valves etc... a complete job if you wish and they are reasonable to the public, we got shop pricing of course. If needs be, I will speak to Jeff for you for better pricing.
They will check it for cracks and pressure test it for you.

I manually decked my block and had the head skimmed at the machine shop for my 300TDI, I also lowered the compression ratio a bit, I will be installing a VVT or VGT. We have guys here with discos in the national off road rally boosting the 300TDI up to 25psi with no HG failures. I will crank down my 300TDI head a tad more too.

You have a lot of time still Bud to have it all done in time for Christmas, you have gone this far, not much more to make it 100% perfect.

No giving up guy, Go Will Go

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CIMG2255.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	100.9 KB
ID:	165073   Click image for larger version

Name:	CIMG2254.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	101.0 KB
ID:	165081  

Name:	600hp.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	139.1 KB
ID:	165089   Click image for larger version

Name:	MLS prep.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	106.3 KB
ID:	165097  

Name:	CIMG2260.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	97.0 KB
ID:	165105  

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Build-up's, Projects & Registry Profiles > Truck Build-up's & Restores

Tags
110, start