A cautionary Tale :welding under the vehicle: fire - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Build-up's, Projects & Registry Profiles > Truck Build-up's & Restores

Old September 16th, 2017, 09:38 PM
caj13
Carl
D-90 SW # 434

A cautionary Tale :welding under the vehicle: fire

so this does not involve my 110, but it could have, and it muight be of value to you DIY guys

so I am welding sheet metal patches on the holes on my 72 Porche 914 (volkswagon in disguise) I started thinking I had 6 holes, now I'm at 12, and will be rebuilding the bottom back 1/4th of the tunnel before I'm done with thew welding.

Car is up on the lift, I'm welding between the rear of the pan, and the bottom of the firewall - Ironic , as it turned out.

So my left shoulder is getting hot - that seems odd. I stop welding, and there seems to be more smoke than normal. Luckily, since i had already cut out the bottom of the tunnel, I happen to see flames inside the cabin - weird, I have it stripped, and just got done painting it.

so now : shut down the welder, move it from under the lift, lift the lift a few inches, that allows me to pull the safety catch cables, then finally lower it down till I can see inside. full blown campfire on the floor.

Turns out I had left a nylon bag fiull of my rags inside, as well as a roll of masking paper and they were fully engulfed. Threw on the welding blanket, shut it down pretty quick, but it shook me up a bit. I guess I'm done for the night.

Be carefull out there guys!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 16th, 2017, 10:56 PM
The Dro
Dro
1988 Ninety

Registry
Dam... glad to see you're fine and no major damage was done

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old September 16th, 2017, 11:38 PM
JackW
Jack Walter
1966 109 SW Diesel

I knew a guy who was either welding or using a blow torch to strip undercoating from under the nose of a Porsche 911 without removing the fuel tank first. Since he didn't survive we're not sure exactly what he was doing at the time of the explosion....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 17th, 2017, 09:47 AM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
glad you're ok! I've been there. Small paper fires, no gasoline, thankfully.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Build-up's, Projects & Registry Profiles > Truck Build-up's & Restores

Tags
fire